PDA

View Full Version : Pledge Rules/Hazing

DGMarie
11-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Just curious, but when I was a pledge (and we were called pledges back then) we had to do all of the following which I would think constitutes hazing these days:

1. wear pledge pin all of the time (this includes on pyjamas, towel to and from the shower etc)
2. carry pledge book at all times (ditto above)
3. address sisters as "Miss"
4. demerits received for any rule infraction
5. mandatory sister interviews
6. massive memorization of every song, local chaper affiliation and large portions of the TBS constitution
7. prepare a pledge class song and skit and perform it on request when and whereever (this includes for almuni band and parents day)
8. wear a pledge clothing item (in this case a bandana with TBS on it) to practice. Other pledge classes had to wear white Keds with TBS on them

I'm assuming these types of things are long since abolished?:(

AOIIHope
11-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Thats a lot of work. Our chapter does 5. mandatory sister interviews 6. massive memorization of every song, local chaper affiliation and large portions of the TBS constitution, but I wouldnt' consider that hazing. Where there that many of you that you were watched that close to see if you had on a pledge pin? Our chapter is laidback, we definatley go by the rules but we're laid back.
Jen

DGMarie
11-12-2002, 11:53 PM
At the time, our chapter had nearly 50 members. There were a lot of sisters to interview and a lot of sisters to watch you. It was very much sisters versus pledges. Not very sisterly.

We also had to do a pledge project. It was re-doing the notice board at the back of the band room. This was no small task as it was a huge (8 x 8 foot) board. We recovered it in blue fabric and repainted the trim. I'll never forget how some of the active sisters laughed at it and said how poor it was. This was a real low point in my pledge process (I was the pledge president at the time and nearly resigned).

After I became a sister, things got better. At the time I thought this was par for the course. Now I read about the other GLOs and the way they treat their new members and I'm like, wow, no wonder TBS went under at my school.

AOIIHope
11-13-2002, 01:24 PM
I am so sorry that you had that experience. Our TBS babies our new pledges, which now are our SISTERS!!! We totally take care of them, and take extremem pride in them. I think TBS sometimes forgets about the social sisterhood side. Unfortunately I think yours took the wrong turn. As long as you had fun in it though.
jen

Clairannette
11-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone!

As for my chapter, we pretty much do everything except 3, 4, and 8. Although not to such an extreme. The pins are only worn during school, and if the MC is at work or at home, the book should be in the car or at home with you. Everything that we have our pledges do is based on education of our sorority ideals(aka qualities and factors). Before the pledge process begins, we let the prospects know just what exactly they are getting into.
They know our education program is hard, but they also know that it is hard for a reason: if they are not willing to work hard now, then they will not work hard as an active. As president of a very small chapter (5 active members) I have found out the hard way, and more than once, that we cannot afford to waste our time on people who will not give all they can to benefit our beliefs. Our "sister interviews" are called "consultivities" and they are more of an activity shared together. As for the memorization, we include the Greek alphabet, officers for TBS (local & nat'l) as well as KKY and Band Council, the 5 Qualities and 8 Essential Factors, the Preamble and 5 points to the Nat'l Constitution, Loyalty Song, National Hymn, and Chapter Song.

I know some of you are out there with your jaw on the floor, but I can absolutely guarantee you that every member of Delta Tau, myself included, would NEVER EVER trade any of this for the world. If I had to pledge all over again, I would, in a heartbeat...or a drumbeat lol (ok yeah that was a bad joke).

MOTS & LOVE,
Amanda Hutchison
Pres. Delta Tau, Tau Beta Sigma
Angelo State University

DGMarie
11-26-2002, 11:09 PM
You have to be very careful. The pledge process can become negative when faced with abundances of memorization and mandatory this and that. I think the best pledge class we had was when we realized we would screen heavily for those with prior volunteer and service experience. This helped so much. And we also followed the philosophy that you attract more flies with honey and treated the pledges more like sisters than, well, pledges.