PDA

View Full Version : In response to the hazing/skating subject

lil sammyjr
04-03-2001, 12:28 AM
This is posed to all that have an opinion on this subject. Please Respond
I have grown up thinking that if I ever wanted to be in a GLO I would probably be hazed in some way. Times have changed a bit, and with MIP I am thinking that it would depend on the big sisters. If by chance I was given the chance to go through MIP and my big sisters only made my line learn history and take a test, I don't think I would want to cross. I would fear how I would be received by other sisters. Not saying I WANT to be put in dangerous situations, but I want to earn my letters. This anti-hazing thing is scaring me more than the threat of hazing. I was wondering how the members of all GLO's felt. Would you reject people you thought were "skaters" even though they just did what they were told?

AlphaXiGirl
04-06-2001, 01:11 PM
I'll tell you my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

I wasn't hazed. Did I "earn" my letters? Sure did... and I continue to do so every day. I "earn" my letters by supporting my chapter's events, being there to help a sister in need, "walking the walk", and living my life by (1st) my Christian values but also by my sorority ritual.

Times have changed and our organizations have to change with them... are you less of a member because you weren't hazed? I don't think so.

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited May 24, 2001).]

CRMSNTiDEGRL717
04-09-2001, 07:20 PM
can their be alcohol at any sorority events?? what if there are sorority sisters at someone elses party and they drink alcohol, how does all this work?

33girl
04-09-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by CRMSNTiDEGRL717:
can their be alcohol at any sorority events?? what if there are sorority sisters at someone elses party and they drink alcohol, how does all this work?

Search under "alcohol free", "dry housing" and "regulations" - this topic has been around the block a few times.

04-14-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by lil sammyjr:
This is posed to all that have an opinion on this subject. Please Respond
I have grown up thinking that if I ever wanted to be in a GLO I would probably be hazed in some way. Times have changed a bit, and with MIP I am thinking that it would depend on the big sisters. If by chance I was given the chance to go through MIP and my big sisters only made my line learn history and take a test, I don't think I would want to cross. I would fear how I would be received by other sisters. Not saying I WANT to be put in dangerous situations, but I want to earn my letters. This anti-hazing thing is scaring me more than the threat of hazing. I was wondering how the members of all GLO's felt. Would you reject people you thought were "skaters" even though they just did what they were told?

I would and continue to reject people who skated everyday. Never take anything that you don't have to work to get. A lot of people on this board may try and tell you its ok, but skating is not ok. There is a definite distaste for those who did not pledge.

lil sammyjr
04-15-2001, 01:34 PM
I would and continue to reject people who skated everyday. Never take anything that you don't have to work to get. A lot of people on this board may try and tell you its ok, but skating is not ok. There is a definite distaste for those who did not pledge.

What is a line to do? Request to not cross or cross and ask an active chapter to "pledge" us?

Salience
04-16-2001, 02:40 AM
So what's the solution? And don't say wood, because that's a bit trite, isn't it?

04-22-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by lil sammyjr:

What is a line to do? Request to not cross or cross and ask an active chapter to "pledge" us?

Requesting an active chapter to pledge your line is a very good idea. The only problem may be getting them to trust you. They may think you are trying to set them up. Especially, if you have already crossed through MIP. I don't think I can tell your line what to do. I know if it had been me and there was no pledging; I wouldn't have dishonored everyone who went before and done the MIP thing.

RedAngel
04-22-2001, 09:14 PM
Lil Sammy Jr,
Skating is only a word. I would not disrespect any soror based on when she came in or her process since that's up to National office of whatever sorority you are interested in. It matters more what you do once you join the organization and if you are a worker those words start going away. If somebody is still calling you a skater then they need to recheck their commitment to their organization.
Take it from somebody whose been there and has let the negativity roll off like a water off a duck's back.
Red Angel

lovelyivy84
05-01-2001, 06:14 AM
Lil Sammy, please take 1906 advice with a LARGE grain of salt, because his advice could get your pearls snatched with the quickness.

Pledging is not a right, it is a priviledge. It is unfortunate that not every member of orgs has a chance to go through a real process, but honestly that is life. Less and less, you can control your process- pledge or MIP. There is every chance that some members will reject you, but more often than not that will not be the case- I think more people have an understanding of what hood is really all about, and as long as you are WORKING for your org, they will accept you.

So it is up to you, what is more important to you? The ideals of the organization, and becoming a part of it's legacy, or having a hard rep? Understand that going grad is just as bad (if not worse) to the people that you are afraid will be judging you, so this will be your best opportunity.

Good luck with your choice.

BlueReign
05-02-2001, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by RedAngel:
Lil Sammy Jr,
Skating is only a word. I would not disrespect any soror based on when she came in or her process since that's up to National office of whatever sorority you are interested in. It matters more what you do once you join the organization and if you are a worker those words start going away. If somebody is still calling you a skater then they need to recheck their commitment to their organization.
Take it from somebody whose been there and has let the negativity roll off like a water off a duck's back.
Red Angel

Ditto that.

05-05-2001, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by lovelyivy84:
Lil Sammy, please take 1906 advice with a LARGE grain of salt, because his advice could get your pearls snatched with the quickness.

Pledging is not a right, it is a priviledge. It is unfortunate that not every member of orgs has a chance to go through a real process, but honestly that is life. Less and less, you can control your process- pledge or MIP. There is every chance that some members will reject you, but more often than not that will not be the case- I think more people have an understanding of what hood is really all about, and as long as you are WORKING for your org, they will accept you.

So it is up to you, what is more important to you? The ideals of the organization, and becoming a part of it's legacy, or having a hard rep? Understand that going grad is just as bad (if not worse) to the people that you are afraid will be judging you, so this will be your best opportunity.

Good luck with your choice.

Take it with a grain or salt or not it is the truth. Also once you cross, nobody can ever take that away from you. You earned it; it was not given to you. Even if the national organization said you weren't whatever. Big deal because you know in your heart you are because you earned it. If you payed for it maybe it can be snatched. Disclaimer: No assumptions made about any previous poster I don't know if you skated or not.

ChaosDST
05-17-2001, 12:45 AM
I agree, pledging isn't a RIGHT...it is a PRIVILEGE. It is a privilege to be pledge...and it is a privilege to pledge others. With that public service announcement out of the way: if I had not been afforded the opportunity to pledge...I would not have pursued membership. You don't have to be a member of an organization to do community service...so, I wasn't ONLY interested in my organization for community service.
I know that you can go "on line" after you have completed the formal process. Partaking in the formal MIP does not mean you're "on line." We use many of these terms loosely. You can "seek" a process and display to older members of the organization that it is not your fault that you weren't given the option of pledging...and would HUMBLY want to be taught some things. You CAN NOT learn what is necessary WITHOUT pledging. Pledging doesn't always mean taking wood or anything like that. So...don't get it twisted. But, most importantly, make sure you and your potential line sisters (or brothers) embody the ideals of that particular organization.

If, retrospectively, you want to have (atleast) some type of pledge process...you must be HUMBLE and put your PRIDE away for later...that is the only way anyone will be willing to teach you AFTER you have completed the MIP.

Imhotep1906
05-21-2001, 09:59 PM
Greetings to all!

This is a subject that has come up many times in conversation with me. I've read everyone else's posts and I agree with each to a certain extent. First and foremost, I pledged(HARD) and was hazed and the experience is truly unforgettable. What I can say is that I PLEDGED because I learned a great deal from it. I agree with someone who said that pledging is a priviledge and a right. I had the choice to decide what I wanted to do and I think I made the best choice.

I've seen what happens to chapter who pledge and who don't and I'm afraid to say that the chapters who go strictly through MIP usually have a lot of problems concerning brotherhood/sisterhood. THere is really no bond established and usually they try to run their organization like a business which there's nothing wrong with that but it's so much more. At my school, there is one particular organization whom everyone knows strictly does MIP and of course they get ridiculed for it but at the same sense, they always have more drama and stuff going on in their organization. The sad thing is that it gets out and in-house business is no longer in house. And this particular organization is so obsessed with pledging. Some are so disappointed and feel as though they've been cheated because they weren't pledge while others have clearly stated that they knew they wouldn't be in this organization if they would have pledged.

So I say to you, first you need to find out which oe is the best for you. I myself will continue to pledge/teach until I die. But please everything you are told with a grain of salt and please understand that whatever you decide to do, discretion is a must! But if you do have the opportunity to pledge. . . do it because there is something about that bond you have with your LBs or LSs that is unforgettable. If you don't have the opportunity, so be it and get on with your life. Once you are in the organization work hard for it because the real pledging starts once you get into these organizations. Don't be like what some organizations call 'ghostbrothers' or 'farwell to the ivies'!

MaguireTheHustler
05-25-2001, 09:56 PM
I agree with all the posters who are pro pledging. It is a privilige and a positive life experience. Anyone with enough money can write a check to an organization but not everyone has the internal fortitude it takes to pledge.

Tom Earp
05-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Basically put, if you do not want hazing done to you, do not do to others!
Just because you may have gone through it does not mean you cannot change it!
I do not consider it hazing when the Associate Members have to learn about the History of the Chapter and International. It is not hazing to make them study, or work on the floats, or become members of campus committees. If you cannot do this, then do not join or you will miss out on the full life of being a Fraternity/Soroity member!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

MsIvy1908
08-28-2001, 10:02 PM
there are many different issues concerning the anti hazing policies. To be technical everyone who has crossed since 1990 is under the anti-hazing policy.. It really disturbs me to see that people who are in a sorority/fraternity are not respected like those who have "pledged." I was not hazed and i am not ashamed to admit it.... although i wish someday that i will have sorors that will respect me for the simple fact we have the same rights... i can do everything she does.. i can vote, i can go to regionals and boule... but i did not have to get my azz beat to do so... I think that for a soror not to like me or any of my sisters that did not go through the "pledging" process is a lack of something on her side... not liking me because you just don't like me is different from not liking me because i didn't pledge... i have not and will never disrespect any of my sorors due to how they came in.. i could care less as long as we are working toward the same goal within the sorority. I never had the opportunity to "pledge", for those who don't have a chapter at the school, the only thing that there is to do is go through their graduate chapter. I would love to have been pledged.... but that in still doesnt mean that i didn't earn my letters.. i am not a "paper chaser" i know my history, i know ALL my information i know what i need to know. My little sister and I over the summer talked to countless of older sorors and some closer to our age bracket about our sorority. True there is some things that are lost with the absense of pledging.... but i wear my letters with pride and dignity...
so take me how you want to... and once again... don't like me as a person before you don't like me as your soror or another greek..
MsIvy1908
*please reply*

jali0004
10-01-2001, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by MsIvy1908
there are many different issues concerning the anti hazing policies. To be technical everyone who has crossed since 1990 is under the anti-hazing policy.. It really disturbs me to see that people who are in a sorority/fraternity are not respected like those who have "pledged." I was not hazed and i am not ashamed to admit it.... although i wish someday that i will have sorors that will respect me for the simple fact we have the same rights... i can do everything she does.. i can vote, i can go to regionals and boule... but i did not have to get my azz beat to do so... I think that for a soror not to like me or any of my sisters that did not go through the "pledging" process is a lack of something on her side... not liking me because you just don't like me is different from not liking me because i didn't pledge... i have not and will never disrespect any of my sorors due to how they came in.. i could care less as long as we are working toward the same goal within the sorority. I never had the opportunity to "pledge", for those who don't have a chapter at the school, the only thing that there is to do is go through their graduate chapter. I would love to have been pledged.... but that in still doesnt mean that i didn't earn my letters.. i am not a "paper chaser" i know my history, i know ALL my information i know what i need to know. My little sister and I over the summer talked to countless of older sorors and some closer to our age bracket about our sorority. True there is some things that are lost with the absense of pledging.... but i wear my letters with pride and dignity...
so take me how you want to... and once again... don't like me as a person before you don't like me as your soror or another greek..
MsIvy1908
*please reply*

Soror, I couldn't agree with you more...

D.0.7
10-04-2001, 08:33 PM
if you have people who come into your society and do all the things that are required of them, then i see no problem crossing them over. what we need to be worried about is the fact who continues to do great things for there society they cross over.

nube one
11-16-2001, 05:18 AM
If you did not earn yor letters you skated. However, if you pledged and do nothing for your organization you are skating. Also pledging has more to do than just "getting your azz beat" and those who have pledged know that.