PDA

View Full Version : Non Musician TBS sisters: Do you have them?

DGMarie
11-06-2002, 12:59 AM
I was in auxillary and am wondering if chapters are accepting non musician sisters these days?

Marie

PandaOnProzac
11-06-2002, 02:51 AM
I've heard of guard, weapons, drill and flag peeps in TBS/KKPsi.

SuperSister
11-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Currently all of our sisters are capable of playing an instrument (although some do not do so in band) but in the recent past we have had sisters who could not play a single instrument but instead were in the guard.

CabinGirl
11-21-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm in KKPsi, but thought I'd put my two cents in as well. My understanding is that any person who is an active and enthusiastic band member is technically eligible for membership, and that requirements such as being an actual musician are determined by the chapter. Our current class includes a colorguard member, although she is also a very fine oboe player. However, we invited the entire colorguard to consider joining, regardless of instrumental ability. My belief is that it is the spirit of band involvement and not the type of involvement that matters. Horn players and drummers provide the audio aspects of a band, and colorguards provide the visual. It's a complete package. :cool:

Iota Kappa, KKPsi

alphachiflame
11-22-2002, 02:34 AM
We have guard memebers, though some played other instruments, some do not at all. But she's a great singer and she love band. :) works for me!

DOSA

~*~sarah~*~
alpha chi historian / jr ritual

DramaQueenAX
11-22-2002, 02:51 AM
Hey all,
Well I'm one of those crazy guard members. I joined last fall in the Alpha Sigma class. I have always been involved in choir, band, and music period. I might not be able to play an instrument to save my life but I have the passion for music just like I know each and everyone of my brothers and sisters do. I feel that if you have the passion for it then why not do it. Guard members are as valueble as the rest of the band and a wonderful counterpoint! I LOVE MUSIC!! This sorority has even opened doors and I'm trying to learn how to play the euph. Wish me luck because I'll really need it!! lol...

ITB,
Heather

skittlesister
11-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Hey Ya'll!
In our chapter we have 3 flag line only members. They don't do anything with music, but spin a flag. Even though they don't play an instrument, they still provide service to the band during second semester. They have to help the band director for three hours a week (the same amount of time the concert bands meet to practice). This allows them to still stay connected with the band and do service while the other members are performing. For service, they still learn a litte about music, so when we teach at a local elementary school, they can still participate. It's wonderful! Anywho, have a wonderful turkey day!

In the Bond,
tiff <><:)

Euterpe813
11-29-2002, 03:46 AM
At Bowling Green, five out of our thirty active sisters and three of our twenty membership candidates are in the color guard. However, we are required to be in a band every semester (except 2 conditional semesters, obviously), so they have to double on some sort of instrument. They are all in marching band in the fall, and are either music majors or have enough experience on one to play in the University Band during the spring semester or the Athletic Band (our school's pep band). We also have two vocal majors who double on an instrument in band as well. (How they fit all those ensembles into their schedules, I'll never know!! :) )