PDA

View Full Version : a thread to spark conversation

DGMarie
11-01-2002, 10:15 PM
I am a long time out of TBS. I pledged way back in 1988. We had about 30+ sisters (maybe it was 50, I'll have to check the composite) but we were strong. Not as strong as NPC GLOs, of course. Now my old chapter is gone.

So here's my question: Let's say, hypothetically, TBS became a NPC member, and our philanthropy was bands/orchestras/music etc. Would this increase our membership? Would our bands become stronger? What would this do to our visibility on campus?

It seemed to me during my years on campus that no one ever heard of TBS. We did mixers with KKP only, wore letters, tried to be greek but not be, and ended up somewhere unhappily in between. My roommate used to call TBS "The Band Sorority" and laugh at us like band geeks. sigh....

Marie:(

PandaOnProzac
11-02-2002, 01:40 AM
Well from a brother's point of view I wear my letters on campus as much as I can. I believe greek is greek no matter what your purpose is.

As for TBS and/or KKPsi joining councils I don't think people outside of the band program will join. We still live in a society that makes people look at people gifted with music as geeks and such. We can thank American Pie for that. I for one am proud to be associated with KKPsi/TBS becuz it supports an activity I love.

On a side note I endure crap from people becuz of the letters K K Psi but I wear them proudly. There's a particular social fraternity on my campus that is one letter different and they exemplify the stereotypical fraternity. My brothers and I have gotten crap from them just cuz of that.

33girl
11-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Hope you don't mind my thoughts on this - I am an ASA alumna, but when I joined, almost half of our chapter members were in TBS also.

The problem with joining NPC is that if you were a member of a present NPC group, your first NPC membership would take precedence and you would have to drop out of TBS. This would most likely kill lots of chapters. ASA was once a social/educational sorority and this happened to us when we joined national Panhel. Everyone who had a dual membership in, for example, DG and ASA had to drop ASA. That was 50 years ago, and I think we still haven't fully recovered.

DGMarie
11-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 33girl

The problem with joining NPC is that if you were a member of a present NPC group, your first NPC membership would take precedence and you would have to drop out of TBS. This would most likely kill lots of chapters.

I'm not so certain a lot of chapters aren't on their way out anyway. At least by joining a stronger national organization it seems there would be some hope. Does anyone know how many people are in TBS in the US? Or even the average chapter size?

SuperSister
11-02-2002, 07:21 PM
According to the national constitution you MUST be a member of a college band in order to join and remain active, thus the recruitment base is still only the college bands and joining the NPC would do no good what so ever and perhaps even weaken our purposes. Tau Beta Sigma is a greek organization but since we exist to provide services to college and university bands it is highly unlikely that anyone who is not a member of a band would be interested or able to make a healthy contribution to our organization.

DGMarie
11-02-2002, 09:47 PM
I guess I was thinking along the lines of the way, say, Kappa Delta supports breast cancer research. Or Delta Gamma supports foundations for the blind. Neither obviously require their members to be actual part of those two groups (breast cancer or blind--I'm exaggerating to make a point).

I'm thinking completely blue sky here...if we were to revamp the national organization, forgetting a momemt about the current laws of having to be in band, and treat TBS as a social and philanthropic organization (which granted it is, but I would argue significantly smaller and less powerful than NPC organizations) perhaps our goal of supporting music institutions would be more effective.

I guess this goes back to my previous question: how big is TBS today? It certainly seems smaller. In fact, it seems very small. I thoroughly enjoyed my years in TBS, but I see a very disjointed and weak national organization today.

Marie

AOIIHope
11-05-2002, 05:32 PM
I see what you're saying. And yes as it has been stated before we are considered dorks or geeks by a lot of people. But a big reason why we dont' have a lot more join TBS is b/c we dont' allow ourselves to be as socially active as the social sororities. We are looked at as merely service, which granted thats what it intended to be, but because of that we lose a lot of girls who may love band and love service but would rather spend their time working on an AOII float or project than working with band uniforms and considered a dork. Sorry that was a big run on sentence. ANyways, I see what you're getting at and you're right I think it would make a difference to a point. But it would also hurt. Because a lot of TBS girls who are not social people but love being a part of something wonderful, if it was pan-hel I'm not sure we'd get that response.
It has good and bad points. But here at UK we've done a lot more social activities and added the "cuteness" of social sororities in our group and it made a huge difference in our numbers. Last year I pledged with 6 girls. This year with the difference we pledged 15.

AOIIHope
11-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Sorry I added the post again to make sure it got posted on.

I see what you're saying. And yes as it has been stated before we are considered dorks or geeks by a lot of people. But a big reason why we dont' have a lot more join TBS is b/c we dont' allow ourselves to be as socially active as the social sororities. We are looked at as merely service, which granted thats what it intended to be, but because of that we lose a lot of girls who may love band and love service but would rather spend their time working on an AOII float or project than working with band uniforms and considered a dork. Sorry that was a big run on sentence. ANyways, I see what you're getting at and you're right I think it would make a difference to a point. But it would also hurt. Because a lot of TBS girls who are not social people but love being a part of something wonderful, if it was pan-hel I'm not sure we'd get that response.
It has good and bad points. But here at UK we've done a lot more social activities and added the "cuteness" of social sororities in our group and it made a huge difference in our numbers. Last year I pledged with 6 girls. This year with the difference we pledged 15.

SuperSister
11-05-2002, 11:30 PM
AOIIHope, I see what you're saying about the social factor however we've tried to make TBS more social. We have cross events with Kappa Kappa Psi, as well as having sisterhood socials a few times a month (we're so busy it's hard to get together). We have at least one sisterhood week a month. We make sure to stress the SISTERHOOD aspect of TBS because in the end it's the sisterhood that makes us a sorority and not just a band club.

Emily

AOIIHope
11-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Hey, SuperSis! Yea, thats awesome that you do that. A lot of TBS groups though go back and forth on the social. I know that we try to make us more social now and then but its hard with hard on service people ready to go against that. But you are right sisterhood is everything in making us a sorority.

DGMarie
11-06-2002, 12:57 AM
We did a lot of both, but we had large numbers so it made things easier I think. We did do the boring stuff, but that was kind of what we signed up for, so we knew that going in. We also required my senior year for prospectives to have some type of volunteer experience to get a bid. When we did that, not only did our pledge class do better, but we all worked better as sisters.

The only problems I can recall is that we had a large number of African-American sisters who DID NOT socialize with the caucasion sisters. We were divided that way, unfortunately.

Marie