PDA

View Full Version : New Chapter

OPAGal
10-28-2002, 06:08 PM
As some of you already know. I'm trying to estblish a chapter of Beta Sigma Phi at Western Kentucky University! We're being sent our Friendly Venture kit this week! I can't wait. I've contacted the Student Affairs Office, since I have to be registered in order to use any University property(even for advertising). They contacted me back today and told me what the requirements were and told me to email them or call them if I needed any help.:) I can't wait to get my kit so I can get started more on this!

BookishBabe
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Congratulations, OPAGal! I'll be watching your progress with interest. :)

AngelPhiSig
10-28-2002, 11:59 PM
OPAGirl!!!!

Were trying to start a chapter too!!! We should chat online about our progress!!!

My IM name is StarletAngel521

:)

OPAGal
10-29-2002, 01:45 AM
Ok. Tonight was sort of a bad night. As some of you may know I also belong to another service sorority, but there have been so many complications with it recently that I'm doubting my membership. (They don't up hold their purpose and don't care about themselves or other people. ) Tonight I began telling my lil sis in that sorority about Beta Sigma Phi. She proceded to tell me that a friendly fenture was a stupid idea and that I was a snob and that anyone who joined would be a snob. She also said she hoped I wouldn't be offended when she didn't join. I couldn't believe that she'd say those things to me. I've been so excited about Beta Sigma Phi and to have someone who knows nothing about it put it down really made me angry!
Just to let you know though I will for sure be putting all my time and energy into my friendly venture now, and she will not be getting an invitation to join. I will be looking for "quality" sisters like the ones here on greekchat. I also got a call from a chapter in my area tonight. I'll probably be attending a meeting with them even though I've already told them about my idea for a friendly venture. They're an older group of ladies and I'd love to meet with them and discuss ideas with them. I hope to have more updates soon.

BookishBabe
10-29-2002, 09:21 AM
:eek:

The haters always hate, OPAGal. She's probably worried that Beta will take all your time away from your other service sorority, and is worried about the competition. She's just running scared, and even though it's a disappointment that she won't be joining you in your friendly venture, there are lots of other women who will.

erica812
10-29-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your sister reacted so badly. Clearly she doesn't understand Beta Sigma Phi's purpose and/or potential on your campus. It's unfortunate that she didn't give you a chance to show her how great it can be. It sounds like she was majorly defending herself when all she needed to do was be a good listener. Isn't that what sisters are supposed to be?

Don't let others' negativity zap your enthusiasm. You are doing a good thing that will benefit you and other women in your area.

Good luck with the student organization aspect of things!

Erica

sigmawannabe
10-29-2002, 06:42 PM
:eek: It is amazing that at the time that you are the most excited that you can not even go to a person that you felt could share in your joy. However, from what I have been reading on this form, you are joining a great group of women that will support your decisions. GOOD LUCK

OPAGal
10-30-2002, 12:41 PM
I contacted received an email from the head of greek life on campus today. He told me that he'd like to help me out in any way possible and if I needed any rooms to be reserved or anything just to call him and he'd help me out. I thought that was really great since I'm going to be needing a room soon to hold interest meetings. Things are really looking up!

cutetiger
11-02-2002, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't be mad at her. Sometimes people get down on you because they are affraid that you'll be gone. Like Erica said, Beta is an organization based on Life, Learning, and Friendship! Hopefully one day your lil sis will understand the meaning behind what we hold so dearly to our hearts. Have faith! If you ever need anything, we will be here for you.

HUGS,
Bernadette

OPAGal
11-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Hey everyone. I got my friendly venture packet today. I'm so excited. I'm just a little worried about finding my other members. I'm attending a Beta Sigma Phi meeting tomorrow night for one of the other chapters here in BG. They're all older women. I'm hoping that after I meet them they'll be some help in starting a Nu Phi Mu chapter here at WKU. I'm sure that maybe there are some legacies here that just haven't joined yet due to the age difference. I hope they'll like me! I'm so nervous! I'll keep you all posted on how things turn out!:)

erica812
11-03-2002, 09:22 PM
I really wish I had a chance to meet with some other Betas! You are so lucky. Did you F.V. packet list any local legacies?

I'm glad that things are moving for you.

Love,
Erica

OPAGal
11-03-2002, 10:10 PM
No legacies were listed, but i'm still hopeful. I can't wait till tomorrow night.

OPAGal
11-07-2002, 12:30 PM
OK ladies sorry it took me so long to post about the meeting but here goes. I met the ladies at the mall here in BG Monday night and rode from there to the woman's house that was hosting the meeting. They were all very nice and I spent most of the way over to the house( about a 30 to 45 min. drive) talking to the ladies and getting to know more about them and the other chapters in BG. It turns out that the other chapters arent' really all the active which explains why that I never got any replys from them. The only other thing is that all the women in this group range in age from 35-60ish. And most of you probably don't know that I'm only 19. The ladies were really nice though and told me that if I wanted to start a chapter here at WKU they'd help me. The other great part is that 4 of the members work at WKU and would qualify as an advisor for us! I'm so excited this is really getting started well. I've just got to find my members now,but I feel like maybe I'm being too picky. I mean I've been in a sisterhood before that let just anyone join and that really hurt the sorority as a whole. Maybe you all could help me. What do you think the qualifications of a prospective member should be?

OPAGal
11-18-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm going to another meeting tonight for the local chapter. I still intend on starting my own chapter at WKU, but the ladies have encouraged me to keep attending meetings with them until my chapter gets estblished. They're so sweet. Also does anyone know anything about "sister chapters"? Just curious

erica812
11-18-2002, 08:47 PM
I just got my chapter materials in the mail today. Yippee! From what I've read so far, my understanding of "sister chapters" is that they are simply the Beta chapters that are nearby. Chapters are encouraged to socialize or work with other area chapters on special events.

Hope that helps a little.

Erica