PDA

View Full Version : Co-ed KKY or TBS

Fine RHOyalty
10-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Here's a question...

What do you do when your brotherhood or sisterhood is co-ed?? Does this pose a crunch on MCs for your organization if your better-half has male & female members??? What can you do to keep membership flowing???

Christina

PandaOnProzac
10-17-2002, 01:55 PM
I'm on this board cuz the brothers aren't on the KKY board. Anywho my chapter of KKY is co-ed and unlike our surrounding chapters we're very unique and diverse. I don't mean to be racial and sexist but our chapter is very diverse with nationalities and we're half male, half female almost.

During some social events sometimes we'll have stuff that'll cater both sexes. Like the other week we went on our chapter retreat and for dinner we went to Hooters. But basically it's kinda balanced out. I don't think Hooters was too extreme of a guy event.

ladybug1116
10-17-2002, 03:13 PM
It seems like where there are co-ed TBS/KKY chapters that one of the 2 organizations is very strong and the other one struggles. Usually it's KKY that will flourish and TBS will be weak. (Probably b/c males are less likely to join a typically female organization) Where I was a member of TBS, the KKY chapter had a few girls in it (but that only started after I was initiated). TBS is the bigger org. and we only had 1 or 2 guys ever show interest. The girls that joined KKY were ones who said they weren't going to be in a prissy sorority :rolleyes: I will say that things were a little tense between the 2 organizations for a while when KKY started having female candidates...TBS felt that KKY was infringing on their membership pool. Also the older brothers were somewhat opposed to having girls in their fraternity...they had their brotherhood, the girls had their sisterhood. The 2 organizations at my school worked very well together and did joint rush events. Make yourselves very visible, without going into too much detail good PR is always helpful. Feel free to PM or e-mail w/any questions :)

AngelPhiSig
10-20-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by ladybug1116
It seems like where there are co-ed TBS/KKY chapters that one of the 2 organizations is very strong and the other one struggles. Usually it's KKY that will flourish and TBS will be weak. (Probably b/c males are less likely to join a typically female organization

Case in point: The Delta Omicron chapter of TBS, and the Epsilon Phi chapter of KKY at Clarion U of PA... (aka my school) our TBS membership is at 9 with 2 MCs and the KKY chapter is I think in the high teens maybe 20 or so... with 9 MCs. From what Im seeing, once one org is signifigantly larger, they get more members because of visibility. In our marching band (the main recruitment base) we have 5 sisters, KKY has 10 or so brothers, it made a big difference, their cheers are louder, both DM's and most sectionleaders are all KKY's.

But hey, were fighting to get bigger!

DGMarie
11-03-2002, 07:52 PM
At least at my school (U of SC). TBS was all women and KKS was all male. We were both large. When KKS when co ed in 1999, I was told this sucked the life out of TBS (but then I was far away and heard this from the alumni sec via email). I guess I don't understand why you need to have both TBS and KKS if both are co ed and serve the same purpose?

If I had to choose, I'd prefer TBS be all female and KKS all male. But then no one asked me....:D

sairose
11-11-2002, 11:12 PM
I'm not in TBS, but at our school we only have TBS, and they are co-ed.

DramaQueenAX
11-21-2002, 05:47 PM
HELLO TO ALL IN CYBERLAND!
I'M FROM THE ALPHA CHI CHAPTER OF TBS AND AS OF LAST WEEK WE PUT THROUGH OUR FIRST MALE MEMBER EVER. LAST YEAR, OUR BORHTER CHAPTER PUT THROUGH ITS FIRST FEMALE MEMEBER. WE'VE FOUND THAT WE STILL ARE BOTH VERY STRONG CHAPTERS AND IT HAS TAKEN SOME ADJUSTMENT BUT ALL IS GOING WELL. OUR CHAPTERS FEEL THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SEX YOU ARE AS TO WHICH CHAPTER YOU GO TO AS LONG AS YOU ARE JOINING FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. WE ARE VERY CLOSE FRIENDS AS WELL AS BEING VERY CLOSE JOING CHAPTERS AND HAVING THE OPPOSITE SEX IN THE FRATERNITY OR SORORITY DOESN'T MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE. WE STILL HAVE WONDERFUL BROTHER/SISTERHOOD TIES. SOMETIMES THINGS JUST NEED SOME TIME FOR ADJUSTMENT AND CHANGE.

ITB,
HEATHER HORNE
ALUMNI RELATIONS OFFICER
JOINT TREASURER
ALPHA CHI CHAPTER OF TAU BETA SIGMA

alphachiflame
11-22-2002, 01:30 AM
Heather!!

Way to speak it girl. I have the case in point for co-ed. Look at the Omegans at UofA. They're huge and there are ALWYS interested members for both organizations, male and female. In our chapters at NAU we have a policy that the women have to approach KKY and the men have to approach TBS to be even considered for candidacy. Even at that they have a lot of work to do to get in. And for whoever said KKY and TBS serve the same purpose should take a closer look at thier rituals, vows, and purposes. We are two seperate organizations that happen to work together. Anyway that's my soapbox. Love you all!

DOSA

~*~sarah s~*~
alpha chi historian / jr ritual