PDA

View Full Version : Brother/Sister Frats/Sororities

PiPhiAngelUVM
02-18-2001, 09:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what Pi Beta Phi's brother frat is. Here it's Pi Kappa Alpha, but I'm not sure if thats just at my school.

AOX81
02-26-2001, 10:12 AM
At the school that I went to our brother fraternity was Kappa Delta Xi. Our sorority and their fraternity are the only two locals on our campus...we were founded a year apart, that is why we are so close.

angelic81
03-02-2001, 02:39 PM
Pi Phi at my university had no brother frat. We have always been told that having any affliation with a male greek organization is not allowed, because we were created for the purpose of being an all female organization. That is why we do not have arrowmen either.

KillarneyRose
04-25-2001, 12:16 AM
I have heard that Delta Zeta and Tau Kappa Epsilon are brother/sister organizations. I don't know any TKEs since we didn't have a chapter at our school, so I don't know for sure. Anybody out there ever heard this?

------------------
~@~Tracy~@~
Proud to be Delta-Z :-)

fuzzie
04-25-2001, 12:25 AM
Alpha Xi Delta's brother fraternity is Sigma Nu because some of the Sig Nu brothers at Lombard College played a key role in helping our founders to establish our fraternity.

AXOprincess
05-02-2001, 02:11 AM
At my college, we dont have a certain frat that is for each and every sorority. We mix it up. Everytime that a sorority has a chance to meet a new frat, we do. Like we have an event in the spring called Spring Fling and did it with AGR, and now for homecoming we are going to do it with AEPi.

Smiles

erniegurl00
07-11-2001, 11:10 PM
I think it's just a local thing. During pledgeship we were told that the Beta Theta Pi's were our brother frat.

Pi Phi Love and Mine,
Erin

psu_lions
07-21-2001, 12:58 AM
at penn state, SAE's are pi phi's brother fraternity. they do a lot together, THON, Parent's Weekend, Formal Bid, and even Homecoming this year.

EMUSigDelt
07-21-2001, 12:58 AM
To the girl that asked about DZ and TKE being brother/sister... at my school they aren't at least, I know that.
My sisters (Sigma Delta Tau) are really good friends with a lot of the Delta Tau Delta guys (they rock), but we're not officially brother/sister.

CoryTKE
07-21-2001, 08:14 PM
Killarney Rose, I was told TKE and DZ are national brother/sister organisations. Some campuses there are , some are not. On the national level I was told they are...

DZ's are a great group of girls, my GF is a DZ.

Tom Earp
07-23-2001, 04:40 PM
At PSU Kansas, there are none! LXA does different charity things and asks the different Soroitys to be part of it!
It is simple, why tie yourselves to just one when you can meet more people. If all I saw when we had runouts were the same people, what fun would that be! The idea is we are Social Organizations, So in The Words of Animal House, Lets Socalize!!!!!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

dzsaigirl
07-28-2001, 10:51 PM
Delta Zeta does not have an official brother fraternity. The closest thing to even considering that is the fact that our grand patron was a Phi Delta Theta. Even so, still no brother...sometimes campuses do that stuff on their own. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

SunDevilGal
07-29-2001, 12:27 AM
I have heard that Chi-O's brother fraternity was Kappa Sigma, since a Kappa Sig brother was the founder of Chi-O. For the most part- isn't having brother/ sister relations in today's time- is not allowed.

AlphaSigLana
07-29-2001, 12:50 AM
My sorority doesn't have a brother fraternity. I don't think any sororities on my campus do(maybe that is because there are 5 sororities and 10 fraternities). I also had never heard of getting a big brother when you join a sorority, besides getting a big sis. What's that all about? I have learned so much by joining greek chat.

pbpck
07-30-2001, 01:07 AM
I don't think we have a national brother fraternity either, but on my campus, Pi Phi's are generally split into 4 groups...Sigma Chi, Pike, SAE, and Delta Sig groupies. EX and Pi Phi do a lot of events, philathropies, pledge activities together. But I think it does vary from chapter to chapter.

ibcrankieDG
08-16-2001, 03:41 PM
Delta Gamma's brother Fraternity is Phi Delta Theta. One of their members helped to establish us. Go George Banta!

ThetaGal
08-16-2001, 09:26 PM
At My school, ever since pledgeship, we were told that our Brother fraternity is SigEp... Our PledgeDad was the Recuitment chair for them.I dont think that nationaly any sorority is affiliated with a fraternity. It goes against Panhellenic Policy.

------------------
~*Theta Gal*~

slinky008
08-20-2001, 01:12 AM
Someome said that DZ and TKE are brother/sister fraternity/sorority. They are definetly not on my campus. We usually hang out with whatever fraternity our boyfriends are in. When our last president was dating a Delta Sigma Phi, they were our house boys and sort of our brother fraternity. But there is no offical one. That would have to vary on the campus.

sigtau305
08-23-2001, 02:20 PM
my fraternity has a close relationship with Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority because back in '85-'87, the sorority was formed from the little sister organization who was affiliated with us.

MooseGirl
08-24-2001, 11:20 AM
Delta Chi is my chapter's brother frat. All it means is that we happen to have 1 or 2 more socials with them than the other frats. It happened jus cuz they are the oldest frat on campus and we're the oldest sorority(we did start out as Chi Delfia's, a lil sis org to them, but they don't even like to mention that since it is no longer acceptable).

MoxieGrrl
09-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Kappa Delta does not nationally recognize a brother fraternity, but if we would have one it would probably be SAE. A member of their fraternity helped our founders with ritual.

On our campus, we consider Delta Tau Delta our brother fraternity. They're the best. :D

ZTAngel
09-21-2001, 10:11 AM
ZTA does not have a brother fraternity. We were founded on our own principles.

The1calledTKE
09-21-2001, 04:28 PM
TKE doesn't have a sister sorority as far as I know but I know many differnt sorority women have helped TKE out in many ways.

Imperial1
09-22-2001, 10:07 PM
The brothers to my Sorority are definitely the men of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. Of course I don't think every1 knows that Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma are the only true constitutionally bound brother/sister greek orgs. I'm happy to be a part of the Blue and White Family. Zeta Phi Beta Sigma luv. Much luv to all my sorors, and frats out there. Peace and Blessings to every1 else on here. 1

Imperial1

SSS1365
09-26-2001, 12:40 AM
I don't think any of the four founded at my school (Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Zeta Tau Alpha, and Alpha Sigma Alpha) have official, nationally recognized brother fraternities. Maybe this is because it was still an all-women school at the time each of these were founded... but then again, an all-male college is just down the road...

showstopper_1908
09-27-2001, 02:07 AM
It sounds like this differs from campus to campus. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated recognizes Alpha Phi Alpha as our brother Fraternity. This is not official or constitutional, just widely known. There are no Alphas on our campus but we still consider them our brothers. I have been told that some chapters of Alpha Kappa Alpha consider Kappa Alpha Psi as their brother organization, but this is not the case where I am from. This is a great advantage to being in a National/International organization because we don't have to just depend on the Greeks on our own campus. Plus, we are in a big city (NYC) so we are never short of Greeks. On my own campus, a local Frat claims another local Sorority as brother/sister. There is even another local sorority that they both claim as their COUSIN Sorority. Is this common or is this only something that exists on my campus???:rolleyes:

ladyj39
09-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Internationally, Alpha Phi's brother Fraternity is Delta Upsilon. Both organizations had the same colors (blue and gold) until we changed ours to silver and bordeaux!

Here at SFSU, we don't have DU on our campus, so we mainly hang out with Phi Kappa Tau and Pi Kappa Phi.

I also heard that Pi Kappa Phi's sister sorority is Phi Sigma Sigma. Is that an official affiliation?

The1calledTKE
09-27-2001, 09:28 PM
Are any of these official at this date? I know alot of the fraternity/sororities used to have bro/sis conections but nothing official these days.

pirate00
09-28-2001, 01:01 AM
Historically, Alpha Phi Omega is Gamma Sigma Sigma's brother fraternity.

CutiePie2000
10-04-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ibcrankieDG
Delta Gamma's brother Fraternity is Phi Delta Theta. One of their members helped to establish us. Go George Banta!

ibcrankieDG,
Delta Gamma owes a great deal to George Banta as he was the only male initiate trusted with Delta Gamma's secrets and he was empowered to form chapters in northern institutions of good standing.

However, I have to emphasize that Phi Delta Theta, (great guys that they are) are officially NOT our brother fraternity.

DeltaBetaBaby
10-09-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by zntke711
Are any of these official at this date? I know alot of the fraternity/sororities used to have bro/sis conections but nothing official these days.

None of these are official connections. You can not have a brother fraternity or sister sorority without giving up your right to be a single-sex organization. GLO's have special charters that allow them to "discriminate" against members of the opposite sex, and an official connection would endanger that.

DeltaBetaBaby
10-09-2001, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
My sorority doesn't have a brother fraternity. I don't think any sororities on my campus do(maybe that is because there are 5 sororities and 10 fraternities). I also had never heard of getting a big brother when you join a sorority, besides getting a big sis. What's that all about? I have learned so much by joining greek chat.

This tradition varies widely from campus to campus, and is usually done unofficially, as many National GLO's do not allow it.

When I took a pledge kid, I asked a guy to be my pledge husband. If I had a boyfriend in a house, I would have asked him, but I did not at the time, so I asked a close male friend. Some people ask GDI's, but I would certainly prefer a man in a house.

My pledge husband obviously becomes my kid's pledge dad. He buys her something with his letters on it, and takes her out on "pledge dad night."

He is then just expected to look out for her, in a way. For example, if she needed a date to one of our functions, she could call him and he would set her up. When he sees her at the bar, he buys her a drink.

I have pledge sons in three different houses, and including the fathers of my own kids, I have four different husbands.

It is just pretty cool for the pledge kid because she gets to have a connection with a fraternity on campus.

Christi130
10-21-2001, 11:36 PM
At my school we switch with different fraternities every semester. My big brothers are in Sig Tau and my little brothers are in Phi Kappa tau and everyone claims that SAE is our brother frat so who know.

PhiMuJewels
10-22-2001, 02:29 AM
At Mizzou we change it every semester. Second semester the guys serenade the girls to be their partner for homcoming the next year, and then first semester the girls serenade the guys to be their partner for greek week second semester. Who ever is being serenaded votes for which house they liked the best. That way we all get mixed up and get to meet a lot of other people. However, most houses here have a special bond with their neighbors. My best friend is a Chi O at another school and more than half of their candlelighting ceremonies are for Theta Xi's, or Lambda Chi's, and those two houses are on either side of them. When our house gets finished (we're a new chapter) we'll be next door to Sig Ep and most of their guys that I've met are already very neighborly! ;)

ThetaxiUW
10-22-2001, 03:44 AM
At the University of Washington its Pi Kaps as well

You girls should try a Theta Xi, we eat the whole Pi!

Eirene_DGP
10-26-2001, 11:55 AM
I am in a multicultural sorority on our campus and we do not have an official brother fraternity. We have a multicultural fraternity also on campus who is like a brother to us. It would be nice to have a nationally recognized official brother though. :D

kristiAZD
12-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Alpha Xi Delta's official brother fraternity is Sigma Nu because they helped our founders to organize and create our sorority, but we don't have SN's on my campus. My chapter is very close to the Sig Eps here and many of my sisters have married Sig Eps. The past six sweethearts in a row have been Xis, and many more before that. Last year half of my sorority was dating half of their fraternity. We also always had a lot of fun with them when we were allowed to mix in their house, so there's a lot of friendships between us too. We're both the biggest and most popular organizations on our campus; it's funny because on Bid Day we find out that many of our new girls have boyfriends who are rushing Sig Ep too! We've had a close bond with them throughout the year that I hope continues, but we also do mix and have friends in other fraternities. We aren't necessarily exclusive to just hanging out with the Sig Eps.

Peaches-n-Cream
12-10-2001, 04:25 PM
D Phi E and TEP used to have convention together, but that stopped a few years ago.

DeltaBetaBaby
12-10-2001, 06:50 PM
Why did you have convention together? And why did it stop?

Optimist Prime
12-11-2001, 01:51 AM
Theta Chi and Sigma Kappa are suposedly tight nationaly. I don't know though. We've never had a mixer with them. Mostly cuz we don't have a house. A few of them said they wanted to though.

Peaches-n-Cream
12-16-2001, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Why did you have convention together? And why did it stop?
From 1971 to 1983, D Phi E and TEP held joint conventions. I don't know why they did it or why they stopped.

huskyman11
01-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Actually at the University of Washington the brother house of the Pi Beta Phi's are the Beta Theta Pis......these UW theta xis are out of the loop...

Thetagurl
01-21-2002, 10:02 PM
As a pledge we learn that beta theta pi is are father fraternity and FIJI is our brother fraternity that goes for every theta chapter nationally.

DOVE1920
01-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby

None of these are official connections. You can not have a brother fraternity or sister sorority without giving up your right to be a single-sex organization. GLO's have special charters that allow them to "discriminate" against members of the opposite sex, and an official connection would endanger that.

That is not true. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was founded in 1920 as the sister organization to Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. This is stated in both of our constitutions.

aephi alum
01-21-2002, 10:35 PM
AEPhi has no brother fraternity nationally, and we are discouraged from becoming fraternity "little sisters" etc.

A lot of people think AEPhi is AEPi's little-sister sorority. I have heard that so many times... My response: "AEPhi: 1909. AEPi: 1913. You do the math." :D

TriSigmaTX
01-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Although you may think you do...but NO NPC sorority has a big brother fraternity, official or unofficial. Check the NPC Guidelines. Now...I'm not saying that locally you don't have a favorite fraternity, but none of us have official big brother fraternities, father fraternties, or sororities, etc.

Example: A Kappa Sigma is the only man who ever has worn the badge of Sigma Sigma Sigma...but we are not Kappa Sigma's little sister sorority. He did write some of our ritual, and we appreciate that. And so many people say that Tri Sigma and Tri Delta are sister sororities. Well, I worked for Tri Delta's national headquarters and this is not true, however we do have long histories that are similar.

DeltaBetaBaby
01-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by DOVE1920

That is not true. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was founded in 1920 as the sister organization to Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. This is stated in both of our constitutions.

I'm sorry, I should have stated that I was only referring to NPC sororities.

kristiAZD
01-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by TriSigmaTX
Although you may think you do...but NO NPC sorority has a big brother fraternity, official or unofficial.

It is stated in our new member manuals (I would quote it but I'm not sure if that's allowed) that Sigma Nu is unofficially our brother fraternity. A full page is devoted to it and our flower was even chosen to compliment theirs. Some of our first conventions were held alongside theirs and they held receptions together. All of my chapter's new members are to learn this just as they would their alphabet, insignia, etc. So yes, I would have to say that although it is not official because of Panhellenic guidelines, our National Fraternity recognizes it and it is taught to our new members in our program.

FuzzieAlum
01-22-2002, 06:16 PM
It says in our pledge manuals that they are "dear Sigma Nu," not that they are our brothers. Our founders were indebted to Sigma Nu for their help and support, but the connection is not an official one. Mention it to most Sigma Nus and they look at you like you're insane! They've never heard that.

hannahgirl
02-03-2002, 08:07 PM
CutiePie2000 said: "Delta Gamma owes a great deal to George Banta as he was the only male initiate trusted with Delta Gamma's secrets and he was empowered to form chapters in northern institutions of good standing.

However, I have to emphasize that Phi Delta Theta, (great guys that they are) are officially NOT our brother fraternity."

:cool: I do not agree that Phi Delta Theta is not our brother fraternity. They are and always will be our brother fraternity. The Phi Delts have helped us out more than any other fraternity nationally. George Banta, who yes is our only male initiate, helped establish DG in the north....including mine...ETA @ the University of Akron. More recently, Dr. Paul Martin (husband of Dorothy Garrett Martin) has also given Delta Gamma so much. He established the Dorothy Garrett Martin Lectureship in Values and Ethics in the name of his late wife and ETA chapter DG. He has given ETAs thousands of dollars each year in scholarships. The University of Akron has so much Delta Gamma memorabilia on campus because of him, and also our the Foundation building in Columbus at Nationals is called the Dorothy Garrett Martin Center.
To say that the Phi Delts are not our brother fraternity is interesting, especially since these two members have given DG so much....and there are probably more where that came from.

Eta Chapter
University of Akron

Sweetums
02-09-2002, 01:10 AM
DGs brother frat is Phi Delta - Yay George Bantu!

sailorchicDG
03-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Officially Phi Delta Theta is not our national big brother frat. I understand that some of their brothers are known for helping out DG and I'm glad for that because without them we wouldn't be nearly as great as we are now. I also believe that we (as NPC sororities) should recognize that no sorority should condone brother fraternities and such.

I don't know about other schools or sororities but Delta Gamma also nationally doesn't support big brother/little sister programs either. If you choose to join a big/lil program it is encouraged that you do it as an individual and not part of DG.

-Kelly
Delta Gamma
Eta Delta Chapter
U. of North Florida

Kevin
03-02-2002, 12:06 AM
It says in our pledge manuals that they are "dear Sigma Nu," not that they are our brothers. Our founders were indebted to Sigma Nu for their help and support, but the connection is not an official one. Mention it to most Sigma Nus and they look at you like you're insane! They've never heard that.

Now to be fair Fuzzy, it only has approximately one line in our history chapter that mentions that we had something to do with Alpha Xi Delta being founded... Sigma Tau Gamma and another group who I forgot (hope no one gets mad =) )

You'd be proud of me though -- after having the situation explained to me by the Alpha Xi's on our campus it was one of the first things I taught our new guys :D

LHT,
Kevin

DeltaZeecutie
04-07-2002, 09:41 PM
I just had initiation at OSU and we got big bro's. Our's are the Pike's. I know it is not officially and it might change every year but it is nice. They got us roses and we talked for awhile and they're supposed to be there for us or something like that. My initiated class thought it was very cute!

DZ love and mine!:)

Jessica

KDHoney
04-07-2002, 09:51 PM
I don't know about nationally (somebody said maybe SAE, if we have one at all), but on our campus we always hang out with Sig Ep...they're the guys that we're closest too and we absolutely love 'em:D

fire1977
04-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Just as a side note Killarny Rose......TKE's are there now.
The only one I ever really heard was KKG and SAE.
We were told at my campus that we were with Pi Lambda Phi...but our old conventions used to be held with Tau Epsilon Phi in the 70's and such.

APhiBee
04-08-2002, 01:58 AM
At UNT....we don't have brother fraternities. Fraternities ask the sororities to mix...basically get together for a party and mingle and meet one another. A fraternitiy can ask any of the sororities.

thetakates
05-25-2002, 02:20 PM
The founder of Theta had a brother that was a FIJI and a father that was a Beta. This is where they get teh father-brother connection for the fraternities. Other than that that is about the only connection we have with those fraternities. I have never really heard anyone talk about hanging with the Betas, but alot of my sisters do date FIJI'S. But pretty much at my school we have to pair with different fraternities for social events each year. We give these organizations bids or they give them to us.

To clear that up we dont actually have bro-sis relationships there are just certain fraternities that we do more with.

arrowgirl
05-25-2002, 03:16 PM
I go to school at Knox College, and here the Pi Phis are technically associated with Phi Delta Theta, although lately (through the freshman class), more Pi Phis associate with TKE.

I think it probably just depends on your school, although I am not sure.

SapphireSphinx9
05-29-2002, 11:51 PM
At my school Sigma Pi is our "unofficial" brother organization. I know that if it wasn't for Sigma Pi at CSU Dominguez Hills, Phi Sigma Sigma wouldn't have been started. They contacted our National and asked to form an interest group...
I know that at some other chapters they are tied together also.
:D

parisviolet
05-30-2002, 11:23 AM
When I pledged I got a big bro and it has been great it enables you I feel to meet alot of new people in the Greek community. When we take a lil sis we go around to the local frats and ask one of the guys to be her big bro. We usually ask which frat they would like one from. They usually love to take littles so everyone has one. They are there to listen and watch out for their little sis. I was asked myself to take a little brother. so I wsatch out for him and usually if he needs to talk i'm there for him. So my greek family is big and we all hang out together. It has made my greek life far more fun. But like it has been stated on other posts our nationals don't like this and when they come to visit the my campus where i attend school we don't wear our brother letters or anything with our sis number on it either. We do this only as a local thing and not national.:D :)

TPASteph
06-04-2002, 03:49 AM
[B]at penn state, SAE's are pi phi's brother fraternity. they do a lot together, THON, Parent's Weekend, Formal Bid, and even Homecoming this year.[B]

Not that it matters, but SAE are no longer recognized by PSU's greek life.

HBADPi
06-04-2002, 10:54 AM
We've been told that SAE's our brother fraternity, we have the same flower (violet) and our mascots are the lion. Although we dont do anything with them along the lines of big brothers etc, we still have mixers with them every year.

starang21
06-04-2002, 12:27 PM
are you guys talking about brother/sister like consitutionally bound? or just really cool with each other? phi beta sigma and z-phi-b are constitutionaly bound. they're the only ones i know of.

Dove Gal
06-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
Theta Chi and Sigma Kappa are suposedly tight nationaly. I don't know though. We've never had a mixer with them. Mostly cuz we don't have a house. A few of them said they wanted to though.

I know that it is against our national policy to have a big brother fraternity. That is the first that we are close with Theta Chi's nationally.

Glitter650
06-04-2002, 02:37 PM
I know that we mostly hang out with the Pi Kaps but we aren't allowed to have it be official and have a big brother or any of that as it is national policy. :D

Optimist Prime
06-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dove Gal

I know that it is against our national policy to have a big brother fraternity. That is the first that we are close with Theta Chi's nationally.

I think we used to host leadership councils together. Not sure if that still happens though.

Tink16
07-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Here the Pi Phi's and Delta Sigs are brother/sister. Also many of the AXiDs date Pi Kapps:)

prophet
07-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Being you did not email me back or holla, I am not sure if you got it, email, but to make sure this time, I'll briefly type here what I typed to you.....becuase DU is not on our campus so that makes you want to kick it with us, Phi Taus, girl kick it with the Pi Kapps, cuz we don't need you, not saying it about all the Alpha Phi's, just you!
-Heath

FKT

FHwku
07-26-2002, 08:51 PM
FarmHouse Fraternity founded Ceres, but the Ceres chapter here is even newer than we are, and only has like 15 members, now.

roselampturtle
07-26-2002, 09:46 PM
Okay. . . . . When I was a new member, I was told that none of the NPC were not allowed to have a "brother" fraternity. Of course most of all of us have some frat that help us get est. or wrote a part of our ritual, ect. On my campus, we don't have "brother/sister" GLO. There is ones we are close with but nothing official. Also I was told that alot of the frats can't have "sweethearts" anymore either by IFC... but only 2 on my campus still do. :0) Who knows! We are ALL greek, no matter the letter!

FYI: Guy Potter Benton- Phi Delta Theta is the ONLY man allowed to wear our badge. He helped our founders write our ritual!

Rio_Kohitsuji
07-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Edited to add modifications:

TKE is now normally with either LOY or with DQ. Alpha Sigma Phi is seen most w/CWA. AXN is always w/ZQC.

nauadpi
07-29-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by HBADPi
We've been told that SAE's our brother fraternity, we have the same flower (violet) and our mascots are the lion. Although we dont do anything with them along the lines of big brothers etc, we still have mixers with them every year.

I had heard the same thing at my school. Sadly the chapter of SAE closed Spring of 2001.

FHwku
07-29-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by TKE209Sweethrt
Hmm..our TKE's are close with Delta Theta (who seem very similar to DZ, at least in colors, mascot and etc *shrugs*) and Alpha Sigma Phi are tight w/the Chi Omega Alpha (formally Chi Omega)

i think XO and XOA are two different organizations.

AchtungBaby80
08-08-2002, 11:32 PM
We don't really have a "brother" fraternity, but we're kinda close with the Phi Delta Thetas because, as all DZs know, a Phi Delt helped our founders get started.

OUlioness01
08-16-2002, 09:31 PM
On our campus (Ohio U) having a brother/sister fraternity or sorority is discouraged. We are paired with different organizations for Greek Week and Homecoming, and if you are paired with a certain org you cannot be paired with them during one of those weeks for the next two years, which makes sure everyone takes turns. However, Phi Mu and Theta Chi are very good friends on my campus. We are also close to Phi Kappa Theta and Phi Delta Theta, and have a lot of socials with all three.

phimugirlie01
09-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Actually, I've been told that Phi Mu's "unofficial" brother organization on a natinal level is KA. Something about both being created in the South and having connections to Robert E. Lee..

OUlioness01
09-05-2002, 10:02 AM
really??? I've never heard anything about it, but we don't have a KA chapter at our school. that could be why

GammaShortie
09-21-2002, 03:14 PM
I'm a member of Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority, Inc. Our brother fraternity are the brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity, Inc. Our cousins are Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. This is a nationwide thing though not everyone in every chapter/on every campus is aware of this. Plus, not all organizations on every campus are that close. Phi Beta Sigma/Zeta Phi Beta are always close because they are constitutionally bound brother/sister organization. Our chapter of Sigma Lambda Gamma was just founded on our campus, however, and since we are new we aren't as close to our cousins yet as on other campuses.

gphiangel624
09-21-2002, 05:20 PM
On our campus, we don't have any sort of brother/sister relationships between our IFC/NPC chapters. I've noticed that each sorority has like two or three fraternities that the members split up between, but that's not always the case. For example, the majority of my sisters hang out with ATOs and FIJIs (I'm not one of them- I'll love my Delts forever...); the majority of Kappas hang out with either KAs or ATOs. I like that there aren't any actual relationships between chapters! And to be really honest, it seems like more GDIs hang out with the fraternities than sorority girls do!

Optimist Prime
09-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by gphiangel624
And to be really honest, it seems like more GDIs hang out with the fraternities than sorority girls do!

Thats because you're always busy with sorority stuff.

I like that we don't have any bro/sisters things here but we actully do. Back in 80's they tried that. I don't think it worked. Why not? 30 frat boys + 80 sorority girls=50 pissed off sorority girls.

OnePlus69Is70
10-31-2002, 08:16 PM
Here here! Some more math for you: 15 fraternities + 8 sororities = 7 very pissed off fraternities.

HotDamnImAPhiMu
10-31-2002, 10:36 PM
See, I've heard the same thing about Phi Mu and Kappa Sigma (Phi Mu has two noteable male members: Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Jackson is a Kappa Sig.)

That could be b/c the boyfriend's a Kappa Sig though.

On my campus we're supposed to have the Kappa Sigs as brothers -- this Phi Mu chapter grew out of a local, Omega Delta Epsilon, which grew out of the little sister organization of Kappa Sigma.

And YES -- Chi Omega and Chi Omega Alpha are different groups. Alpha Chi Omega is different, too, which is maybe what you were thinking of. You'll get jumped for sure for that one. ;)

White_Chocolate
12-13-2002, 09:24 AM
The story of how our sorority got on campus. . .

We were a local sorority, Theta Chi Omega and there was a national, Sigma Kappa. Well, all of the PIKES were dating Theta Chi Omegas because the SKs were too 'bookwormish'. So, the PIKES BEGGED them to go national. So, our local sorority did some research and they decided to go with a sorority that was close to PIKES.

No one can say they are a brother/sister but PIKE and Phi Sigma Sigma. . .because we have the exact same slogan but the names are different. PIKES and PHI SIGS know what I'm talking about. . .

ONCE A. . .

hmmm, they know.

Quala67
12-13-2002, 10:17 AM
Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity Inc. has no relationship with any other greek organization. We are not the Brother fraternity to Gamma Sigma Sigma, nor are they APO's Sister fraternity. APO, on a National level, is not "bound" to any other organization. Both org's are based on the ideals of service to humanity, however.

FHwku
12-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
See, I've heard the same thing about Phi Mu and Kappa Sigma (Phi Mu has two noteable male members: Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Jackson is a Kappa Sig.)

That could be b/c the boyfriend's a Kappa Sig though.

i thought Robert E. Lee was Kappa Alpha order.

breathesgelatin
12-13-2002, 03:50 PM
To clear everything up, I'm pretty sure Robert E. Lee wasn't Greek at all. He went to West Point US Military Academy. Someone w/ Baird's can check if there were ever fraternities there, because I don't know. He may have connections with some sorority but it would have to be ADPi or Phi Mu, because he died in 1870 around the time that most of the other groups (Pi Phi, Theta, Kappa) were getting started. (Unless the connection is w/ his daughter/granddaugher something like that).

Kappa Alpha Order claims Robert E. Lee as its "spiritual founder". To my knowledge he was never initiated or anything of that matter. KA was founded in Robinson Hall at Washington and Lee University (my school) during Robert E. Lee's tenure as President.

If I'm wrong on any of this, let me know, but I don't see how either Lee or Jackson could be in fraternities unless there were fraternities at West Point during their college years. (Jackson went to West Point and was later a professor at Virginia Military Institute (across the street from W&L) where Sigma Nu and Alpha Tau Omega were founded. Although now revered, his students hated him and made mean jokes about him through his tenure at VMI. VMI now bans all fraternities... Although I think the senior class might be "honorary" members of Sigma Nu... Or something... They come to parties sometime and try to pretend they are SNus... But since I know all of the SNus it does not work... Poor Veemies!)

chloe173
12-17-2002, 12:09 AM
At the university of Southern California, Alpha Delta Pi's brother frat is SAE. I know that has something to do with the fact that are symbols are both lions. One year they stole our bronze lions off our lawn and took them to their house and cemented them there. They bought us new ones, but its still a long standing war to steal things that have lions on them back and forth. Plus they always come over and play football in our lawn because its bigger than theirs.

sailorpiphi
01-12-2003, 11:28 PM
to answer the pi phi that started the thread........
On my campus pi phis UNOFFICIAL brother frat is alpha sigma phi. We do most everythign with them...... half our bus boys are alph sigs and many girls in my house are dating them. This was also not always the case. when delta tau delta was on our campus (and not dry like it is now) we were very close to them.

sirfidelgrl
01-13-2003, 08:27 AM
when i pledged we learned that KA was our brother and ADP was our sister KA because of Robert E. Lee and the whole south thing and ADP because we both were started at Wesleyan and the oldest two organizations for women..however either of these two organizations exist on my campus so phi mus here hang out with mainly the ATO's. I always thought this was nationally known but no other phi mu has said anything about this so i guess not! :rolleyes:

33girl
01-13-2003, 10:33 AM
To reiterate:

The ONLY official, constitutionally bound brother/sister orgs are Zeta Phi Beta & Phi Beta Sigma. Anything else would jeopardize single-sex status. Any other "connections", however strong, are campus based only.

There are Greeks that have had a hand in founding other orgs, but that doesn't mean that their entire fraternity is your brother fraternity.

FAB*SpiceySpice
01-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by sirfidelgrl
when i pledged we learned that KA was our brother and ADP was our sister KA because of Robert E. Lee and the whole south thing and ADP because we both were started at Wesleyan and the oldest two organizations for women..however either of these two organizations exist on my campus so phi mus here hang out with mainly the ATO's. I always thought this was nationally known but no other phi mu has said anything about this so i guess not! :rolleyes:

Hey I am a Phi Mu too and I also heard this. For the exact same reasons too. We have both of those chapters on our campus, but we've never done anything with the KA's. We were supposed to have our semi-formal this fall with ADPi since they're our sister sorority (apparently) but stuff didn't work out with the social chair.

I dunno though whether any of this is true or not, anyone know if there is? :confused:

Wine&SilverBlue
01-29-2004, 06:40 PM
at Wash U, Pi Phi is paired with Phi Delt every year for homecoming, and with Theta Xi every year for the Thurtene carnival (largest student run carnival in the US)

I couldn't say if any of these were official or not, but on my campus:

AEPhi is always paired with AEPi
DG is paired with Sig Nu
Alpha Phi is paired with Sig Ep

I heard that Chi O is nationally paired with Kappa Sig, but since Chi O is new on our campus this year, and Kappa Sig is paired with Kappa Kappa Gamma, I thikn they are goign to be paired with Beta Theta Pi. Of course everyone has mixers with all the others

Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Phi are sister sororities though, since they were both founded at Monmouth college... we have a Monmouth Duo date party together :)

HollisterDXiChi
02-06-2004, 10:45 AM
How would you go about getting a bro frat? My sorority is local and the fraternity on campus thats comming on will be a national-is there an invisible line that can't be crossed? I just wanna know how we could make them our brother frat...we've already like started getting involved with their interest group and helping them out, inviting them to cookouts and all that good stuf. We want some bro's! :D How does it work????

TSteven
02-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by HollisterDXiChi
How would you go about getting a bro frat? My sorority is local and the fraternity on campus thats comming on will be a national-is there an invisible line that can't be crossed? I just wanna know how we could make them our brother frat...we've already like started getting involved with their interest group and helping them out, inviting them to cookouts and all that good stuf. We want some bro's! :D How does it work????

Q. My sorority is local and the fraternity on campus thats coming on will be a national-is there an invisible line that can't be crossed?

A. No. As 33girl pointed out, connections (brother/sister "relations") are campus based.

Q. How could we make them our brother frat? How does it work?

A. Simple. Just keep doing what you are already doing. You already have a good start.

"...we've already like started getting involved with their interest group and helping them out, inviting them to cookouts and all that good stuff".

GamGal02
02-16-2004, 02:55 PM
On my campus, Pi Kappa Alpha and Alpha Gamma Delta are Brother/Sister Fraternity Sorority because our chapter founders were married.

Loner
03-02-2004, 05:23 AM
ATO/AXO national
KE/XO national
PDT/DZ
ZTA/none

PandaOnProzac
03-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Since 1946 Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma have had official brother/sister relations.

I love my TBS sisters!

sairose
03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
We don't have any official brothers...but Phi Mu Alpha is unofficially, and is every campus you'll ever see. I love Sinfonians! :)

Diamond Delta
03-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate00
Historically, Alpha Phi Omega is Gamma Sigma Sigma's brother fraternity.

That Alpha Phi Omega was the brother organization to Omega Phi Alpha Service sorority, not Gamma Sigma Sigma. However, I know there are more chapters of GSS than OPA so, maybe I am worng. But I swear I read that on the Omega Phi Alpha website.

Also, I honestly thought Alpha Xi Delta was the only NPC sorority to still have a nationally recognized brother fraternity. That's what they tell the girls during rush anyway. I know lots of sororities were founded or helped to be founded by great fraternity men, but that's what I was told at least. AXiD is the only one in the modern era. Not sure about MCGLO or NPHC or locals.

breathesgelatin
03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
Also, I honestly thought Alpha Xi Delta was the only NPC sorority to still have a nationally recognized brother fraternity. That's what they tell the girls during rush anyway. I know lots of sororities were founded or helped to be founded by great fraternity men, but that's what I was told at least. AXiD is the only one in the modern era. Not sure about MCGLO or NPHC or locals.

We've said it before, we'll say it again:

No NPC sorority has a national brother fraternity. Most if not all NPC sororities do not support their chapters adopting a local brother fraternity.

To quote 33girl:The ONLY official, constitutionally bound brother/sister orgs are Zeta Phi Beta & Phi Beta Sigma. Anything else would jeopardize single-sex status. Any other "connections", however strong, are campus based only.

Diamond Delta
03-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by GamGal02
On my campus, Pi Kappa Alpha and Alpha Gamma Delta are Brother/Sister Fraternity Sorority because our chapter founders were married.

That is like the sweetest thing I have ever heard!

Sahara27
03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Lilac0427
Some of the founders of Gamma Sigma Sigma from Drexel were the girlfriends of Alpha Phi Omega members. Other than that, there is no official connection between Alpha Phi Omega and Gamma Sigma Sigma. Of course, on the campus level, I'm sure lots of chapters still do events together because both are greek organizations based in service. :)

Definitely! Although we are two totally separate organizations, here on my campus we work very closely together. We consider APO our brother fraternity, have joint service projects together, socials... and when you join you also get a big brother/sister from the other group! I always thought that was a pretty cool bonus. :)

kk_bama
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
It would make sense that SAE and KD are related somehow... SAE was founded here at the University of Alabama before the Civil War, and KD was the first sorority here in 1904, so they go way back, at least here. They are still close to this day.

Glitter650
03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ladyj39

I also heard that Pi Kappa Phi's sister sorority is Phi Sigma Sigma. Is that an official affiliation?

I heard that it was an official affiliation back in the day Jess ( Phi Sig and Pi Kapp) similar colors... flower Etc... but we aren't allowed to have this anymore on an "offical" level Phi Sig has a written policy against it. At my school it doesn't really matter there's only three frats (one is considerably smaller than the others) and three sororities so we all get a chance to hang out together anyway....

psychosig#4
03-25-2004, 12:48 PM
And we mean service b !#$h

Here in Miami the A Phi Ques are most definitely our brothers.Especially the black chapters they show us nothin' but the best of "Service ,friendship,and equality"

Psycho g.k.a Floetry
Epsilon Eta
Spring/Fall2k3
10 Faces of Verstility
"Lord it's so hard pledgin' for Gamma"

*Much love to all those unFOURgettable #4's

gamma_girl52
03-25-2004, 01:06 PM
To piggyback off of my GSS sisters,

While GSS and APO are not OFFICIALLY bound we do have a relationship as brother/sister on many campuses. There is a historical tie between the two (espcially in regards to GSS history).

lyrica9
04-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by HBADPi

and their badges are in a diamond shape like ours. but alas, not our brother fraternity. in our chapter we used to joke that they stole the violet, lion and diamond from us.

PiLove
04-13-2004, 03:20 AM
"ZTA does not have a brother fraternity. We were founded on our own principles." was posted, we also have our own principles we do not allow in our national rules to be little sisters/big sisters/ brother fraterity/guy sweethearts, but we used to sort of have an informal brother fraternity with Lambda Chi Alpha just because they had about the same amount of guys as we did girls and one of our sisters is now engaged to him. But, there is not "official" thing.

rezilient
04-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Someone posted earlier that Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., had an affiliation with Sigma Lamda Beta/Gamma as cousins....NO!! Not at all. No where in our history do we acknowledge a relationship with any other organization other than our brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.

Measi
04-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 33girl
To reiterate:

The ONLY official, constitutionally bound brother/sister orgs are Zeta Phi Beta & Phi Beta Sigma. Anything else would jeopardize single-sex status. Any other "connections", however strong, are campus based only.

There are Greeks that have had a hand in founding other orgs, but that doesn't mean that their entire fraternity is your brother fraternity.

Not true.

Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi are as well-- they share a joint headquarters.

Neither is officially single-sex, although individual chapters might be.

~ Mel.

ACTDXDeltaDeut
04-17-2004, 03:55 PM
The Theta Delts (Or as we are better known as Chia at Cal, cuz of the Ivy growing on our house) sister house is Gamma Phi Beta last time I checked. It's sort of on an unofficial hiatus though because we badly need members. Oh well, things will get better. :)

33girl
04-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Measi
Not true.

Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi are as well-- they share a joint headquarters.

Neither is officially single-sex, although individual chapters might be.

~ Mel.

I was referring to general-interest fraternities and sororities. TBS and KKPsi can only choose their members from a select pool and thus do not fit in that category.

kk_bama
04-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ACTDXDeltaDeut
The Theta Delts (Or as we are better known as Chia at Cal, cuz of the Ivy growing on our house) sister house is Gamma Phi Beta last time I checked. It's sort of on an unofficial hiatus though because we badly need members. Oh well, things will get better. :)

I have never heard of Theta Delta Chi. Is it national?

ACTDXDeltaDeut
04-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Yep, but we aren't at every campus though like some frats. We also used to have a lot more chapters too, but we are working on expanding right now as far as I know. We're mostly in like New York and New England though, but have a strong presence on the West Coast at the "Flagship Universities" of the Pac 10 and Chico.

queequek
04-18-2004, 02:04 AM
LOL
We are doing VEISHEA float this year with Gamma Phi Beta and Theta Chi. Although we are not considered as "sister-brother" pairing, but we had fun :D

ACTDXDeltaDeut
04-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Haha, sounds like a roaring good time to me. :D

kk_bama
04-18-2004, 04:44 AM
Cool! I checked out TDX's Web site, you're at a lot of good schools. No shame in being smaller nationally. (c:

queequek
04-18-2004, 01:27 PM
We are "allowed" to have around 30 active Charges at one time throughout our history. We have to wait for one to be inactive in order to establish/recolonize somewhere else. Being so selective, we are forced to select good schools.
This year, because of UCLA, we can colonize UMass Dartmouth and re-colonize William & Mary. Several weeks ago, Lehigh got kicked out, and we are thinking of Clemson or recolonize Michigan.

Imperial1
05-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by rezilient
Someone posted earlier that Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., had an affiliation with Sigma Lamda Beta/Gamma as cousins....NO!! Not at all. No where in our history do we acknowledge a relationship with any other organization other than our brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.

Well said Soror, and some people are falling on deaf "eyes" cause our relationship/bond with Phi Beta Sigma is not only REAL, but OFFICIAL.

Imperial1

Pike1483
05-29-2004, 03:21 AM
At my school, the Pikes and Alpha Gams are bro/sis because our founders were married. We generally hang out with the gams the most and do special stuff with them.

Also, Nationally, it's us and Chi Omega because our national headquarters houses are on the same street.

33girl
05-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Pike1483
Also, Nationally, it's us and Chi Omega because our national headquarters houses are on the same street.

No.

breathesgelatin
05-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by breathesgelatin

No NPC sorority has a national brother fraternity. Most if not all NPC sororities do not support their chapters adopting a local brother fraternity.

Just a repeat of my constant refrain.
The only constitutionally bound brother/sister orgs FROM THE ENTIRE NIC, NPC, and NPHC are Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and Phi Beta Sigma.

thermobryan
06-01-2004, 01:24 PM
No.

They are on the same street, they're right next to each other...

33girl
06-01-2004, 02:37 PM
That's lovely. But Mellon and PNC have offices on the same street, right next to each other in downtown Pittsburgh. That doesn't make them brother/sister banks. That is what the "no" referred to.

Once again:

The only constitutionally bound brother/sister orgs FROM THE ENTIRE NIC, NPC, and NPHC are Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and Phi Beta Sigma.

Unregistered-
06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by thermobryan
They are on the same street, they're right next to each other...

If you're going to use that reason, explain all the GLOs located on Founders Road in Indianapolis. They're on the same street... :rolleyes:

Co-sign 33 and BG's posts. No organization besides PBS and ZPhiB have official, constitution bound relationships.

kandy36
06-04-2004, 02:29 AM
if ure gonna go by chapters being on the same street being related..well my chapter must be related to 4 fraternities bc were the only sorority on fraternity row

ILLINIgirl
06-11-2004, 04:31 PM
At my school, we don't have offical brother/sister fraternities/sororities but I know that our DG's are pretty tight with our Pikes.

kandy36
06-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ILLINIgirl
At my school, we don't have offical brother/sister fraternities/sororities but I know that our DG's are pretty tight with our Pikes.

thats kind of like my school, were really tight with aepi..

thermobryan
06-11-2004, 11:14 PM
That's lovely. But Mellon and PNC have offices on the same street, right next to each other in downtown Pittsburgh. That doesn't make them brother/sister banks. That is what the "no" referred to.

Once again:

hey hey, relax, i was just stating they they were on the same street, not that they were a national brother/sister fraternity....relaxxxxxx!!!!

My chapter doesnt have a chapter like that, we were cool with Chi-O for a while, went onto DZ, then Sigma Kappa...it depends on the situation....I love DZ's and SK's though, those are my girls!

33girl
06-12-2004, 01:35 PM
However Pike1483 DID say they were national brother & sister. That was directed towards him - you seemed to be supporting what he was saying.

Didn't mean to be bitchy, it's just that I don't like when Greeks don't know their own policies.

thermobryan
06-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Didn't mean to be bitchy, it's just that I don't like when Greeks don't know their own policies.

I do know my own national policies, Pi Kappa Alpha nationals does not allow us to have big or lil sis's, we do not have a national sister sorority...I know my policies, so relax

piphiarrow234
06-20-2004, 11:16 AM
from my understanding Pi beta phi's bro frat is Beta theta pi, since we were the first national sorority we were modeled after beta, alot of our things we represent are similar. I think this is why ppl say we are bro/sis fraternatys. Its like that at my school.. and betas r good guys so were proud to call them our bro frat

exlurker
06-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi, piphiarrow234, it's great that your chapter gets along well with the Betas at your university, but . . .

piphiarrow234
06-21-2004, 12:52 AM
oh im not saying we are "officially' bro/sis and all that stuff, its just like we hang out with them alot and stuff i didnt mean to make it out like its anything official, just alot of sisters date them and we are good friends with them

BabyP
06-21-2004, 03:55 AM
We dont need men ;) for our sorority but for our bedrooms that is a diff story LOL..........actually we are good girls...... all of us have serious boyfriends, engaged, married, or virgins....... weird huh...

KSUViolet06
06-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Though we DO NOT have an official brother fraternity (the only recognized bro/sis connection that I know of is ZPhiB/PBS), our chapter is very close to Delta Chi. We do alot with them since they live next door. Alot of my sisters are lavaliered to them. Some of them even have "big/lil bros" in the chapter. :)

piphimaggie
07-10-2004, 04:36 AM
PiPhi at my school was associated with Phi Delt.

...however the Phi Delt chapter at my school was shut down this spring so there will be none of that....at least for 5-6yrs

*sigh*

agzg
08-18-2004, 01:14 PM
A lot of the sorority chapters at my school were previously "little sister" groups to the different fraternities before they were colonized as part of a national organization.

Sometimes that shows a little bit with inter-greek relations. Some of the chapters keep close to their former "big brothers" and some of them don't.

As for AGD, it was colonized on campus (the first women's fraternity here) as a completely independent organization, so we don't have ties with any one of the five fraternities on campus that go beyond "well I'm dating so-and-so" or "well I'm the sweetheart of XYZ fraternity."

We pick who we do mixers with, we pick who we do greek week and homecoming with, and so on without worrying about hurting our "big bro's" feelings. We're closer with some than others just because those are who our friends are.

Personally, I have really close guy friends in both ZBT and PiKA, and I have a "pseudo big" in PiKA but that's not official through AGD or anything, he's just unhappy with his tree right now so I told him I would be his little haha.

audaz49
10-10-2004, 03:13 AM
to the Zetas:
i am absolutely sure my soror meant no offense to you when she claimed to be your "cousin," but to be honest, that is how the ladies of SLG are educated, to look up to the organizations whose ideals and principals inspired and motivated our founders. the connection she was reffering to is that one of the founders of Sigma Lambda Beta was a Sigma, and SLG was founded and molded using the ideas, history, manuals, etc. of SLB. Sharing a headquarters with SLB, and with both groups having a joint member who now serves as the executive director, we (Gammas) do call the Betas our brothers, but also acknowledge that there is NO official recognition on the part of ANY of the involved GLOs. We as Gammas have deep love and respect for Sigma Lambda Beta, Zeta Phi Beta, and Phi Beta Sigma. On some campuses, including my own, the Zetas and Sigmas DO claim the Gammas and Betas as family. Again, I hope my soror didn't offend you. Much Love & Respect to all the Greek Fam.

PhoenixAzul
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
We are officially the sisters of Pi Beta Sigma

Tau Delta/Pi Beta Sigma
Sigma Alpha Tau (Owls)/ Zeta Phi
Theta Nu/ Lambda Gamma Epsilon (Kings)
Kappa Phi Omega/ Sigma Delta Phi (Sphinx)
Tau Epsilon Mu/ Pi Kappa Phi (Country Club) *not the national*
Epsilon Kappa Tau/ Eta Phi Mu (Jonda)

Coramoor
10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
At WVU, when I pledged a few years ago I was told that Pi Phi was our sister sorority. Lately it seems that we have had a falling out and don't do too much anymore.

Talking to both Beta's and Pi Phi's nationally, I always got the impression that they are usually brother/sister fraternites.

33girl
10-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Coramoor
Talking to both Beta's and Pi Phi's nationally, I always got the impression that they are usually brother/sister fraternites.

No.

The only official brother/sister relationship on a national level is between Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. No official relationship exists between any NPC and NIC group.

breathesgelatin
10-11-2004, 11:27 PM

OH, I am so quotable.

Coramoor, I have heard the rumor about Beta and Pi Phi a lot. But there isn't any official relationship between us, nationally or locally.

PhoenixAzul
10-11-2004, 11:43 PM
I always thought Phi Kappa Tau and Phi Mu were brother/sister. Maybe that's just one school.

The thing about our system is that the matching is COMPLETELY off. Our brothers don't do anything with us. If they have mixers during pledging, it's only with one sorority...they won't give any social things to other houses (makes getting signatures and chats REALLY difficult). I just don't see how they fit any more.

ADqtPiMel
10-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I always thought Phi Kappa Tau and Phi Mu were brother/sister. Maybe that's just one school.

Coramoor
10-12-2004, 08:26 PM
OH, I am so quotable.

Coramoor, I have heard the rumor about Beta and Pi Phi a lot. But there isn't any official relationship between us, nationally or locally.

I guess I should have put in that I have usually heard it as an unoffical relationship.

qteasied
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
The sorority that I'm officially interested in, Mu Sigma Upsilon, is part of the "Upsilon Family" with Lambda Sigma Upsilon, Latino fraternity. They are constitutionally bound and everything because they were founded 2 years apart on the same campus. MSU is a multicultural sorority, but some have the misconception that they are Latina because their founders and brother fraternity are.

*Danielle*

PS: When I say "officially interested," I mean it. The interest group has its own EBoard and everything. We just can't say we're part of the sorority because it's unclear whether or not we will cross. Just added that to let you guys know I'm not some loser stalker or anything like that.

ADPi Conniebama
01-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I believe Adpi only has recognized one group of men as anything more then a greek or an independent and those are the wonderful men who became KOD (king of diamonds). I assume all ADPi chapters have this and they are a special guy that year who has helped us without being asked and stepped up without stepping out of line.

We stopped having "big brothers" around 1990. because of that no mixing of the sexes in glo's (or whatever) thing.

Don't get me wrong KOD's are not initiated or anything they are just held above the rest. Not always greek, Not always a boyfriend, but always King of Diamonds. (however my junior and senior years were both Sigma Chi's)

thetagammachica
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
none of that is offical at our campus. There was unoffical, like a sorority would spend alot of time at a particular fraternity. But, now, that is even getting mixed up. AST and ZBT are the only ones that are staying close on that. I think because during Greek Week we have a rotation so everyone always works with someone different.

agzg
02-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Meh... The ASTs are pretty close with the Zebes because most of them are dating or are like best friends with one another...

Just remember, lots of Alpha Gams date them too, like me! And our sweetheart is a Zebe! And their sweetheart is an Alpha Gam!

FSUblondeAST07
02-17-2005, 12:18 AM
At my school the Sig Tau Gamma's are our (AST) big brothers. It's really cool because in both of our local historys our groups are really interwined with each other.

beta~chi~2004
02-28-2005, 08:45 PM
on our campus it's Theta Phi Alpha/ Alpha Sigma Phi

PennyCarter
02-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm not positive on our national rules, but I know my campus we couldn't even have a King of Diamonds (or Jack) anymore because of something silly--the same reasons other said they can't have a brother fraternity. I think its cool we don't have a brother frat...at times our chapter was definitely closer to some organizations, but at one point we had girls who were sweethearts for something like 6 out of 8 fraternities which really showed our diversity and how much we hung out with all the groups.

honeychile
03-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by PennyCarter
I'm not positive on our national rules, but I know my campus we couldn't even have a King of Diamonds (or Jack) anymore because of something silly--the same reasons other said they can't have a brother fraternity. I think its cool we don't have a brother frat...at times our chapter was definitely closer to some organizations, but at one point we had girls who were sweethearts for something like 6 out of 8 fraternities which really showed our diversity and how much we hung out with all the groups.

Cosign, only we called our guy our "Black Diamond Beau" or BDB. He was named at our "Black Diamond Ball", so I guess the name just came naturally.

Now, we were always especially close to three or four fraternities each year, but we never referred to them as brother fraternities.

Drunkie679
06-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Honestly, it is nothing offically, it just compares to the chapters the each organization has with a different organization. Out of all the soroities that have TKE on the campus it is Delta Zeta, not saying we are national brother and sister organization, but we just have a lot of chapter together on different campus. At Long beach, we actaully do hang out with Delta Zeta. They are one of my favorite houses and many guys in our house love them too. Also, we have a lot of people who love Delta Gamma. Tri Delta used to be big supports, but they don't get allowing with Delta Zeta and Delta Gamma

adpiucf
06-14-2005, 05:29 PM
To echo 33Girl's earlier post: No NPC sorority has a national brother fraternity. Most if not all NPC sororities do not support their chapters adopting a local brother fraternity.

Locally, there was a time when university Greek Systems adopted auxilary groups within GLOS-- Big Brothers, Little Sisters, etc. We no longer do this.

Several of these traditions still take place on local campuses. They go unrecognized by NPC, campus Panhellenic and the chapters as official groups.

I have heard the rumor about ADPi and SAE. While we share some symbols in common, it is just a coincidence.

At UCF, we pair up with a fraternity each homecoming, and another for Greek Week. We call each other our "Homecoming Partners" or "Greek Week Buddies."

There used to be events like King of Diamonds, etc., but for the most part chapters don't hold these contests because ADPi doesn't wish to mistake that we are anything but a women's organization-- men don't represent our letters as auxilary members.

ADPi does have a signature philanthropy event that can be adapted to each chapter. It is called the Lion's Share Challenge and the chapters have the freedom to work within this event to make it unique to their campus as a sporting event, dance-off, fundraiser, etc.

The reasons for not having a big bro/lil sis have to do (again!) with insurance and maintaining status as single-sex organizations. I'd hate to open sorority recruitment up to a man... Imagine him at the new member sleepover. Pillowfight, anyone? :)

doves95
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
TO concer at the last MGCA a friend of mine attended ( the Midwest all greek conference) it was told that it violates NPC to officially have a brother/sister relationship between GLO's.

While on many campus's this is done based on campus history it can violate your ( I know it does our) GLO bylaws/ codes which may prohibit that.

copacabana
11-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Although the fact remains that there is only one pairing that is "officially" brother/sister (it has been mentioned many many times!) I know that some schools locally do adopt a kind of "brother" fraternity or "sister" sorority that they do a lot with.

We don't really have that here, although among the NPC sororities we adopt a "sister" sorority to do activities with. They change once every two years, and it seems like we do stuff together about once a month or so. It's just a fun little way to meet more greeks.

focus
12-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Alpha Lambda Omega Christian Sorority, Inc (http://www.alocs.org)/Gamma Phi Delta Christian Fraternity, Inc. (http://www.gphid.org)

These two are brothers and sisters. And they are worth checking out.

emily0325
12-17-2006, 11:35 PM
At my campus (UH-Manoa) the Alpha Gams and TKEs are sister/brothers...probably because we're the only nationals on campus.

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*

Alpha Gam doesn't have any offical brother fraternity. But at my school the gams hang out with the TKE's a lot too. I go to a small school so who hangs out with who is pretty clicky.

kappa_babe
12-22-2006, 11:45 PM
At my school we do alot with Sigma Chi and Kappa Sigma

akdphi_cherry
12-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Lambda Phi Epsilon and alpha Kappa Delta Phi are brother/sister nationally, but at my school we do a lot with Pi Alpha Phi since we don't have a Lambda chapter. (Though sometimes we do stuff with the Lambda chapter at a nearby school.)

ifeelhome17
01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
yea, at our school kappa sig is chi o's brother fraternity, and we were definitely all informed of that as soon as we started pledging. love those boys!

eggbert
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority are constitutionally bound together as brother and sister organizations. We are the only African- American Greek Letter organization of that nature. Are there any Greeks that have that kind of link?

Unregistered-
01-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority are constitutionally bound together as brother and sister organizations. We are the only African- American Greek Letter organization of that nature. Are there any Greeks that have that kind of link?

None of the sororities in the NPC have official relationships with fraternities. Doing so would jeopardize our single-sex status.

It's been noted many times in this thread that organizations have unofficial relationships on a local level, but again, no official relationship on an inter/national level.

CutiePie2000
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
None of the sororities in the NPC have official relationships with fraternities. Doing so would jeopardize our single-sex status.
OTW is 100% correct. While Delta Gamma (an NPC org) has a "special history" in that George Banta (a member of Phi Delta Theta - an NIC org) was also DG's only-ever male initate, and we owe a lot to Banta for the work that he did for Delta Gamma, Phi Delta Theta is not Delta Gamma's "brother" fraternity (although that phrase gets bandied about).More is revealed here. (http://www.deltagamma.org/brother_fraternity_phi_delta_theta.shtml)

uclabru1
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Traditionally from the first pi phi house and Beta Theta Pi house, beta's and pi phi's have been considered brother and sister colonies. You can check it by googling the history, but I was lucky enough to meet alumni who know a lot about the history of both houses.

yangstar
05-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Traditionally from the first pi phi house and Beta Theta Pi house, beta's and pi phi's have been considered brother and sister colonies. You can check it by googling the history, but I was lucky enough to meet alumni who know a lot about the history of both houses.

One problem with the whole official brother/sister chapters is that here we have Pi Phis but we don't have a Beta Theta Pi. Would Pi Phi have to help colonize a beta chapter here just so they could officially have a brother frat? That's the problem with nationally recognizing it, I think it's nice that we kinda decide on our own which chapters we're closer with.

AlphaFrog
05-30-2007, 08:07 AM
One problem with the whole official brother/sister chapters is that here we have Pi Phis but we don't have a Beta Theta Pi. Would Pi Phi have to help colonize a beta chapter here just so they could officially have a brother frat? That's the problem with nationally recognizing it, I think it's nice that we kinda decide on our own which chapters we're closer with.

THERE ARE NO BROTHER/SISTER GLOS. PERIOD.

uclabru1
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Hence the traditionally part, When in fact there are both chapters on a campus, in past years for over a 100 years, Beta, and Pi Phi's have been considered brother sister. However, that doesn't mean every single campus has it the same way, its just how its been. And as an unspoken fact, that's just how it was. If you look far back enough in your fraternity's history you may find the same thing where you and a sorority have a longer tradition than other greek chapters.

Unregistered-
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Hence the traditionally part, When in fact there are both chapters on a campus, in past years for over a 100 years, Beta, and Pi Phi's have been considered brother sister. However, that doesn't mean every single campus has it the same way, its just how its been. And as an unspoken fact, that's just how it was. If you look far back enough in your fraternity's history you may find the same thing where you and a sorority have a longer tradition than other greek chapters.

Hmm...I'm curious to hear what the Pi Phis think of your claim.

Fraternity tradition =/= campus tradition. Just because XYZ Fraternity and ABC Sorority have been on campus for a long time, they are not officially brother and sister sorority.

Please don't make an attempt to educate me on my Fraternity history. I'd suggest doing the same for other organizations that aren't your own.

33girl
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
The problem is that tradition is not constitution or bylaws, and a lot of people can't tell the difference. So, it's better to just not repeat these "traditions" at all.

uclabru1
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Why are you making it such a big deal. I didn't say its like that anymore, nor did I say that abc sorority should be close with XYZ Fraternity, I said in the past thats how it was, and that Beta and Pi Phi have had a history, it doesn't mean that's how its supposed to be. Every school is different just like every chapter of fraternities and sororities are different.

InseparableDI
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
at my school there arent like official sororities/fraternities that are brother and sister
but social chairs set up swaps with most(if not all) and you get big brothers in each*unless there are issues between the chapters*

AlphaFrog
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Why oh why must we bump threads like these?

Is it not apparent that this was a trainwreck the first time? Must we add another train to the pile?