PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sisters!!!

valleygirl22
10-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi guys, i wanted to just tell you all that i joined Gamma Phi Beta this monday!!! I have formal pinning Sunday nite. I am so happy i went with Gamma Phi and I am so proud of my new sisterhood!!!! Thank you for being such good examples of Gamma Phi Beta!!!! Oh yeah, i'm internet dumb, can someone help me make a cute signiture? Thank you!!! Ok, i remember, i have another dumb question, what does Love in TIKE mean? Thanks again! Talk to you all soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CutiePie2000
10-10-2002, 05:35 PM
This is how you do a
GFB

{FONT=symbol}GFB {/FONT}

Make sure that you change the curly {} into these [ ].
Ok?

You can also experiment with color, size, bolding, etc.

valleygirl22
10-10-2002, 05:49 PM
THanks for your help! I don't think i did it right though! let's see!
I'm kinda dumb! :)

valleygirl22
10-10-2002, 05:53 PM
ok, one more try, i'm a nerd i know!

valleygirl22
10-10-2002, 05:54 PM
DANGIT!! WHAT'S THE SIMPLY FOR PHI ? IT KEEPS LOOKING LIKE PI I THINK

CutiePie2000
10-10-2002, 08:55 PM
You almost have it, cherie!
To do a "Phi" you have to use "F"(as I showed in my example, above)
You are getting "Pi", because you are using "P"!

This a great thread, written by an Alpha Phi who is a webpage guru...it is very helpful:
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15458

GOOD LUCK!

GeekyPenguin
10-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by valleygirl22
Ok, i remember, i have another dumb question, what does Love in TIKE mean? Thanks again! Talk to you all soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't find out until initation, but as our CLC just told us, it must be IIKE when typed out and it must pronounced "Pi-K-E", not "P-K-E".

Have fun at formal pinning, it is a good time! :D

GPhiBLtColonel
10-13-2002, 02:10 AM
When you get initiated and thru your new member period so Pay attention!!! Girls I am soo proud you are Gamma Phis!! Let's hope that Annie/shark in skirt also makes the RIGHT decision and goes Gamma Phi as well -- they seem to be pretty strong at Riverside -- is that a valid assumption Valley Girl???

valleygirl22
10-13-2002, 04:22 AM
Let's hope that Annie/shark in skirt also makes the RIGHT decision and goes Gamma Phi as well -- they seem to be pretty strong at Riverside -- is that a valid assumption Valley Girl???

I don't really know if the Gamma Phis are strong at RIverside. THey seem to be a really strong sorority here in Southern California. The are here at Cal State Bakersfield and they were at Cal Poly when I was there too. Hopefully they are strong at RIverside so we will get another sister in Annie!!!

valleygirl22
10-13-2002, 04:27 AM
i really need to stop messing with my signature.....

gphiangel624
10-16-2002, 10:18 PM
In response to everyone's question of whether or not Gamma Phis are strong in Riverside... YES WE ARE!!!! Our chapter has been going strong since 1975, as one of the first sororities at UCR! We have consistently had a GPA above all-women's and all-sorority (we've been second highest for 2 years now!), we've won Greek Pyramid every year since 1998, and we're OVER house total with 72 members! Yes, I would say we're pretty strong!

From what I've seen, Gamma Phis in SoCal (as well as the rest of California) tend to be "top house" at many schools, and I know we're very popular over here on the West Coast!

Again, congrats to valleygirl22, houstonchica, GeekyPenguin, and one of the newest editions to the Delta Lambda chapter, Shark in Skirt, as well as anyone I failed to mention! I love you all and welcome to the sisterhood!

Carol

GPhiBLtColonel
10-16-2002, 11:43 PM
................when I read that Shark in Skirt pledged Gamma Phi, it was too much for this old mush fan -- me -- to bear....I admit it, I bawled! From happiness! It is like I have been on a high ever since I found Greekchat-- I got a GREAT lil sis HOUSTONCHICA (Andrea)-- who'da thunk an old Gamma Phi geezer like me could still get a gorgeous lil sis like Andrea?! Having her initated into Gamma Phi last week at UGA was one of the highlights of my life! And seeing great gals like Geeky Penguin & ValleyGirl pledge Gamma phi is the best feeling -- and know that our collegiate chapters are in such great hands like gphiangel624, well it does my heart good! If I can offer any advice to you youngsters: PLEASE stay involved with Gamma Phi afetr you graduate! Though the collegiate Gamma Phi experience is certainly wonderful, the alum experience -- if you choose to get involved -- will truly be the lifetime commitement to sisterhood that seemed just a hazy concept in college. The love you have for Gamma Phi will just deepen in your alum years, so please stay involved!! (I am getting verklempt and mushy again...sorry!)
I just love you all soooooooo much!
In IIKE, Cele

houstonchica
10-17-2002, 01:25 PM
I just wanted to add how proud I am to be a member of Gamma Phi Beta. It is so obvious by reading the threads during the last couple months that we are comprised of outstanding women. When I was alumna initiated last week, I had the opportunity to meet the new initiates of the Delta Upsilon chapter at UGA . I am so very impressed by all of them. Such a group of sincere, talented, and articulate young women! I feel the same way about all of our new pledges whose rush threads I've followed here. I'm sure you all would agree that we've gotten the cream of the crop and I am so proud of you all!! You have lots of support here on the boards.

Love in llKE,

Andrea

gphi2k2
10-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Hey girls!

When I first started posting on gc 2 years ago, I gave up on this forum because there were no gamma phis on this site! It's so great to see so many of us now:).

It is so obvious how amazing gamma phi women are. Joining was the best choice I ever made.

I'm a gamma phi alumna from the University of Toronto, in Canada. Needless to say, I haven't exactly gotten the opportunity to meet sisters from other chapters. There aren't any around me! Greekchat really does make the borders seem smaller:).

GPhiBLtColonel
10-18-2002, 04:35 PM
...wanted to come to Toronto! My hubby -- a Delta pilot -- flies there every now and then and he LOVES the city -- I would love to visit with my two sons (hubby can come too if he wants!) -- they are 10 and 8 -- is there stuff there that might be of interest to them?

GAMMA PHI ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

gphi2k2
10-19-2002, 12:35 AM
There is SO much for children to do in this city. I love Toronto. (and i'm not just saying that cause i've lived here my whole life!)

One great place for kids is the Ontario Science Centre. It's one of the largest science centres in north america and has a lot of cool stuff and is hands on. We also have the second largest zoo in north america, second only to san francisco :). The CN tower is always a cool thing to go up (unless the kiddies are afraid of heights). There's a ton of stuff to do here. If you want more info, feel free to pm me.

Have any of you guys visited other chapters? What schools have you visited???

GPhiBLtColonel
10-19-2002, 09:35 AM
...due to my traveling around from when I was in the military and with my current Gamma Phi job as alumnae extension coordinator (trying to get new alum chapters set up) I have worked with/helped out/visited our collegiate chapters at St Louis University, Washington University in St Louis (they had a very nice suite but I am not sure if they are still an active chapter), Florida State (their house is beautiful!), George Mason University in Fairfax VA (they are a great chapter but they don't have a house or suite -- at least they didn't when I was there), Auburn University (they have a very nice suite), the Southern Polytechnic State University chapter in Marietta GA (they don't have a house or a suite either) and the University of Georgia (their house is gorgeous!) And of course, my alma mater -- the Beta Alpha chapter at the University of Southern California has a wonderful house!!! ;););) I have also seen the outside of the Alpha Iota chapter house at UCLA.

I am not real good with PMs because my box gets too full and PMs get rejected -- email is best for me: ron-cele@worldnet.att.net

Are you involved with an alum chapter in Toronto? How active are they?

IIKE, Cele

CutiePie2000
10-21-2002, 01:41 AM
As former Toronto resident I have to chime in, too!
Don't forget Casa Loma (www.casaloma.org), Royal Ontario Museum, and also that Art Gallery on Dundas (I can't remember the name), Hockey Hall of Fame (if you're interested in hockey), SkyDome and/or Air Canada Centre for sports.

Go to King Street to see great theatre like The Lion King or Mamma Mia.
Hummingbird Centre has ballet and opera, and stuff like musicals like Beauty and the Beast.
If you like comedy go to Second City Theatre on Blue Jays Way.
Go to Danforth Avenue to see Greektown (and I am talking souvlaki, not fraternities ;) )
Go to College Street to see Little Italy.

I think that's about all I can think of right now.

www.toronto.com is a great resource too.

Cele, here is the Gamma Phi Beta Collegiate Chapter's website:
http://gammaphibetato.tripod.com/
You can even have a house tour (and I would have to say that the Gamma Phi Beta house has one of the most beautiful interiors, for sure!)

gphi2k2
10-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel

Are you involved with an alum chapter in Toronto? How active are they?

IIKE, Cele

We don't have an alum chapter in Toronto. I'm not even sure if we have one in Ontario!

I haven't really been active since I graduated. I was extremely active when I was, well, active, but have slacked off since I graduated. I'm still in touch with many of my sisters and actually planned a get together a couple of months back.

The greek system here is really lame. We have a HUGE campus but a very very small greek community. I believe less than 1 percent of our school is in a fraternity or sorority. And the chapters we have are all pretty small. The sororities average about 25 members, (we have 7 houses) some have a few more, some have a few less, but none of the houses are huge. So I don't think an alum chapter would be able to survive :( . It's pretty sad :(

GPhiBLtColonel
10-23-2002, 02:00 AM
...I could query Gamma Phi Int'l Hqtrs and see how many Gamma Phi alums live in the area -- what are the main cities/towns within about 30 mins of Toronto? For the states, I query IH for these lists by zip codes -- is there a similar code in Canada?

CutiePie2000
10-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
what are the main cities/towns within about 30 mins of Toronto? For the states, I query IH for these lists by zip codes -- is there a similar code in Canada?

Cele, Canada has letters and numbers for our postal code....so it is a bit different from the US Postal Service Zip Codes.

The main cities/towns/municipalities by Toronto are:
Scarborough, Mississauga, York, North York, Downsview, Etobicoke, Markham, Richmond Hill, Woodbridge, Maple, Pickering

I think if you just did a general search for "Ontario", you would have the best luck, and then the far away ones could be weeded out.

If you go here: http://torontonpc.tripod.com/memgroups.htm
You will see that Grace Lin is the Gamma Phi Beta Panhellenic contact in Toronto.

SmartBlondeGPhB
12-04-2002, 09:25 PM
I was excited to find this board for Gamma Phi's. And to you new members, I second what Cele said about staying involved as an alumna. I was not active as an alum until about 3.5 years ago and I have LOVED it since.

In answer to somewhat of a question that Cele posed, Phi Chapter (Washington Univ. in St. Louis) closed in either spring 89 or 90. I was initiated there in 88 and transferred at the end of the semester.

in IIKE................

Melanie

GPhiBLtColonel
12-06-2002, 01:58 AM
...about Washington Univ chapter de-activating...wonder if it will ever recolonize? Melanie -- our paths may very well have crossed in St Louis...I was in the alumna chapter there from 86-90 while I was stationed at Scot AFB...got married in O'Fallon (Illinois) and before jetting off to Cancun for honeymoon we had first night after wedding at hotel opposite the Arch -- not the Adams Mark - I have actually forgotten the name... but as far as my feeble brain recalls, the chapter was still active when I was there.
I always get bummed when a Gamma Phi chapter closes...
IIKE, Cele

SmartBlondeGPhB
12-06-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if it will ever re-colonize, I'm inclined to say no since AXO and Theta left shortly after we did (and all 3 were somewhat similar, at least in my opinion). I did read in a thread in the General Forum that Wash U. is in the process of choosing another sorority to come on campus and is down to 3.

You may have known Amy Sirull (red, very curly hair) or Janelle Wilson (she was involved with St. Louis Alumnae and worked at SLU), they are both in my alumnae chapter. I was a pledge most of the time I was at Wash U.

I think we crossed paths at this last convention though. I was our delegate (second to the very last chapter since it's alphabetically by state) and I was also elected the Area 6 member of the Nominating Committee.

in IIKE,
Melanie