PDA

View Full Version : How are all the locals doing?

rayray
09-18-2002, 06:22 PM
I was just curious to hear how the locals have been doing this semester so far. For us we got 15 new girls which is good for us! Also considering the national sororoities each took about 15 as well.
Good luck to all during the year and i would love to hear any stories...ya know form one local to another:)

AOX81
09-18-2002, 06:49 PM
I'll let you know about our Beta Chapter tomorrow...looks good so far! :)

chideltjen
09-18-2002, 07:48 PM
things are going really really REALLY well for the alpha chapter. if we take all of the new members, we will have a class of about 40. the beta chapter in sonoma i hear is also doing quite well, with maybe just the same amount of PNMs.

I am excited, tonight are fraternity seranades and usually since it's during our rush week, we don't take PNMs with us. But we love them all already so we want to bring them with. I am so excited. :D :D :D

qtbecks
09-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Our semester is going well. Right now, we're in the middle of Recruitment...last night, we gave invites to 8 wonderful girls, and we have two more days of fun stuff planned. Hopefully, we'll have an awesome rest of the week and an awesome new member class. :)

AOX81
09-19-2002, 12:49 PM
As of right now it looks like we have 9 pledges for the second pledge class of our Beta Chapter!! Woo hoo!!!

Congratulations ladies!

AOX81
09-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Update:

Jeni, Ashlee, Cortney, Sarah, Brandy, and Katie have accepted bids.

We are still waiting to hear back from Beth, Joanna, Heather, and Katie (our 9th legacy!)

D.0.7
09-20-2002, 02:38 PM
I was wondering how do you get your group out there to become a beta chapter at another school, what type of promotion do you do to get your frat or soror to another school...

AOX81
09-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by D.0.7
I was wondering how do you get your group out there to become a beta chapter at another school, what type of promotion do you do to get your frat or soror to another school...

The school that our Beta Chapter is at is only 1.49 miles (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&ct=NA&1y=US&1a=303+E.+Kearsley&1p=&1c=Flint&1s=mi&1z=48502&2y=US&2a=1401+E.+Court+St&2p=&2c=Flint&2s=mi&2z=48503&lr=2&x=26&y=11) from the school that our Alpha Chapter is at.

Plus, our first two members of our Beta Chapter were both legacies so they are very close to us. :)

Basically the girls from our Alpha Chapter went over to the other school and posted flyers.

chideltjen
09-20-2002, 04:56 PM
Update!

Alpha chapter took a class of 30 last night and we are bidding them tonight.

Still waiting on the results for the beta chapter...

To answer D07's question: one of our alum moved back to the Sonoma area for work. She decided to post flyers to see if anyone would be interested. She got five responses and that eventually led to a house of 30. Now they are kinda on their own but they are still getting themselves established.

rayray
09-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Wow it looks like everyone is doing good. I'm glad to hear everyone is loving all thier new girls. We actually have pledge-in tonight and I'm soooooo excited. Now the girls will become officially New Members! And they are adorable as well. I know i was nervous to pledge in but they are all so excited and looking forward to it. So that makes me happy (especially beacuse i was rush chair and we got an awesome group of girls)

Chideltjen where did you day you were from Sacramento?

Its great to have contact with everyone, hope to keep it up throughout the year:D

chideltjen
09-21-2002, 01:06 AM
rayray... check your PMs

AOX81
09-23-2002, 08:20 AM
Well it looks like our Beta Chapter will be pledging 9 wonderful ladies!!

Rush for our Alpha Chapter starts tonight. Information Night kicks off Formal Recuitment at the University of Michigan-Flint. I hope a lot of girls come out tonight!

Good luck Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma!!

qtbecks
09-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Sigma Chi Delta took 6 women for our Psi new member class! They just had their first new member meeting last night, and as usual, looked very overwhelmed, but excited for this semester. :)

D.0.7
09-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Well we are going into our second year as a fraternity, and we had over 20 guys come to our rush event. We had African Americans, and white students also, and that is very important to me as a active member of my fraternity that we have a reputation of multiculturalism in our organization. So i'm looking forward to the second one coming up in NOV..... GOod luck to all the greeks out there we will get our people....

pbear19
09-30-2002, 08:54 PM
My service sorority welcomed 18 new members this semester! I'm especially excited because the VP (who for us is in charge of recruitment) is my grand-little!!

And on top of that we are celebrating our tenth anniversary!

chideltjen
09-30-2002, 10:48 PM
another update:

Beta chapter at sonoma took 9.

We have 29 new delphias here at the alpha chapter.

YAY! Go locals!

AOX81
10-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Congrats chideltjen!!

We won't find out about our Alpha Chapter until Friday. I'm so excited!

rayray
10-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Congrats pbear19 on the 10 year anniversary thats awesome! We just recently had our 2 year anniversary. I know we are still a baby but we are going strong! Our newest pledge class has 15 great girls! And we are in touch with our panhellenic, we are giving a second presentation tomorrow and our area advisor is helping us with extension. I'm excited to see where KDZ goes.
How old are the other locals?

AOX81
10-02-2002, 06:37 AM
My local sorority is 13 years old. :D

qtbecks
10-02-2002, 08:04 AM
We're in our 12th year. :)

AOX81
10-03-2002, 10:21 AM
I just found out that we extended 18 Preference Night invitations! Tomorrow is Bid Day!!!

chideltjen
10-04-2002, 12:55 AM
congrats AOX!

we have been around since 1990.

AOX81
10-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Well here are the unoffical numbers for the University of Michigan-Flint:

Alpha Theta Chi - 6 New Members

Delta Phi Epsilon - 5 New Members

Phi Sigma Sigma - 2 New Members

Numbers were kind of low but that is okay. Congratulations everyone!!

AOX81
10-05-2002, 01:56 PM
FINAL results:

Alpha Theta Chi: 4 new members
Rochelle, Heather, Kate, and Natasha

Delta Phi Epsilon: 4 new members
Carly, Andria, Lyndsy, and Erin

Phi Sigma Sigma: 2 new members
Maggie and Kelly

Congrats to all the new girls and their new organizations!

rayray
10-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Well I'm very proud to say that we are the 2002 Powder Puff Champions!!!!:D
This was the second year we were invited to play in Gamma Phi Beta's Powder Puff game. Last year we made it too the championship game againsgt G-Phis and lost in triple overtime. This year our first game we played another local sorority and won! and the in the championship game we played the ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta and won that game too!
So to all my girls congrats!

AOX81
10-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Congrats rayray! :)

Sisterplum
10-20-2002, 05:19 PM
Well, I finally heard back from my sisters.......

We are pledging in 14 new girls tonight for our Alpha chapter.....

And......

10 new girls will be pledged in at our brand-new Beta chapter at UNB!:D:D:D:D

This was our best rush period ever.....prior to this, our largest class was 8!:)

Yaaay to my sisters!:D

AOX81
10-21-2002, 06:39 AM
Congratulations Vera!!!! :D

D.0.7
11-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Well for us we only have pledging during the spr which begins in Jan and ends in Feb. Thus far Rush event's have been going well we also have a variety of young men who want to be apart of our fraternity speaking that we are only a year old. The poll show from you social chairs that 15 guys have consider pledging our house, but u know how grades can interfer with that. So things have been going well and i hope all of the 15 guys that committed will be online, and the other 5 that i know of, and this is a good one. My cousin came to the same college that i went to and he's thinking about becoming a brother, I am really happy and greatful because i have somethings to past down to not only my cousin but one day my frat brother. Me being a founding member has been a good thing for me and to past this down to my cousin has really made me proud of what i've help accomplish. So good luck to you all and continue to be the best darn greeks you could ever be.

Remember: Advisors come and go, but greeks last forever.....

AlphaXiDiva
12-19-2002, 07:38 AM
I am happy to say that we accepted 15 wonderful women into Alpha Xi Omicron (we hate the omicron!) this fall!!! We were established on our campus in 1927 and refounded in 1997 (died out in the 70s). We currently are 38 members strong (the 2nd largest on our campus) and are very excited to be out of the doghouse...it was hard refounding what with every other local sorority having been around consistently since the 19teens. Anyways, we are excited for spring...freshmen are allowed to rush again and we are stoked!
Greek love!

Chideltjen-I have a sister whose sister went to sac state and she was a chi delt...I forgot her first name, but her last name is Cain and she graduated a few years ago...random I know, but sac town pride!! I am from sac and all my family went to sac st. Nice web page by the way!

chideltjen
12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
AlphaXiDiva, That's Kya! She's my grandsis. Weird connection. Definitely six degrees or something. :D

anyhoo... our house is now up to 41 girls cuz we recently initiated our Alpha Eta class. 24 lovely ladies. YAY!

I am excited for spring semester: we got Sorority Superbowl, Greek Week/Sing, and formal in Santa Cruz!

DaffodilDarling
03-11-2003, 07:48 PM
*sniffle*

We're currently up to 8 members, with 3 new members before.

There is a major problem in my sorority... The three larger orgs find out we're having a rush, and at least one of them throws one, so nobody comes to ours.

On top of that, if they find out that we're interested in a certain woman, they talk to her first, and extend her a bid, even if she doesnt really fit in with those women.

It's really frustrating.

Although we MAY have a class of 3 or 4 after spring break... **crosses fingers**

Dfran
04-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Greetings, My name is David Lee Francis, co-founder of Alpha Sigma Chi (www.alphasigmachi) professional/social, currently local. We are the world's first non-residential GLO established in the either: 04-02-2003.

The fraternity is traditional in most every regard, except that we are both professional and social, and our founding vision is to build a bridge between non-residential campuses and the Greek fraternal experience.

Our academic/professional association is Intelligence and National Security Studies. IS and NS professionals with other degrees also qualify. Very few strictly civilian, non-government, private universities offer degree programs in Intelligence, Strategic Intelligence, or National Security. George Mason is one exception - but I doubt if there is a professional GLO dedicated to these studies on that campus.

That is our niche. Most of the universities that do offer these degrees are government or military. National Defense University, Armed Forces Staff College, Joint Military Intelligence College, etc, and most programs lead to an MA or MS degree.

Well, that's us - in a nutshell. We're founding at American Military University in Manassas, VA. An online university: There are five thousand men who fit the description of our basic potential candidate who attend AMU.

Since there are about three hundred thousand other guys who are IS or NS professionals who have degrees in other fields - we will have a pretty rich recruiting base once we get our name recognition going. Our main objective is networking for career building in our community. However, our first founding principal is solidarity, and our initiation process is all about bonding in brotherhood - and understanding what a life long, meaningful, and genuine commitment that is in ASC.

So... that's how we're doing. Web site is under construction, but our informal "shield" is posted there. www.alphasigmachi.com

cristinasmile
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
If your a local sorority, can you stay local and not be affiliated?

I'm wondering if I have to contact Sigma Kappa and tell them that I want to start a local sorority called Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi... or not?

astroAPhi
07-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cristinasmile
If your a local sorority, can you stay local and not be affiliated?

I'm wondering if I have to contact Sigma Kappa and tell them that I want to start a local sorority called Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi... or not?

No, you do not contact them. If you want to start a local sorority you should go through your Greek Life or Student Activities office.

cristinasmile
07-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Okay, thanks GREAT!!!

cristinasmile
07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
I got the A OK from NPC. I e.mailed them.

They wrote

Cristina - I am sorry but we have no information regarding local sororities.
Certainly you would be unaffiliated with NPC since your chapter is not
affiliated with one of the inter/national member groups. Good luck with
your project!

chideltjen
10-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Yippee! I heard that our beta chapter is doing super well at Sonoma State. They got first in a powder puff football torney this last weekend and recruited 18 new girls. I am so glad to see them grow so strong.

Derby Days is this week and our routines for the Lip Sync at the end of the week looks super! So excited. :D

rayray
10-13-2003, 02:24 AM
HAHA thats funny
My sorority was the ones that played the Chi Delts in that Championship game. It was local verse local. We took first last year so it was very intense but i'm glad that they got the chance to experience what we did last year. Believe me its a good feeling. Congrats Chi Delta!

AOX81
10-18-2003, 08:18 PM
I made a mistake...we have 11 girls, not 10. :D

HollisterDXiChi
03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Grrrrr! That same thing happend last semster. We were going to throw a Toga party and this other sorority found out about it before we could get word out. So they posted on the College forum that they were having one before the end of the semester...guess what? They ended up not having it! They're actually having it NEXT MONTH! It really ticked me off! Good luck with that...I know how frusterating that is.

Originally posted by DaffodilDarling
*sniffle*

We're currently up to 8 members, with 3 new members before.

There is a major problem in my sorority... The three larger orgs find out we're having a rush, and at least one of them throws one, so nobody comes to ours.

On top of that, if they find out that we're interested in a certain woman, they talk to her first, and extend her a bid, even if she doesnt really fit in with those women.

It's really frustrating.

Although we MAY have a class of 3 or 4 after spring break... **crosses fingers**

HollisterDXiChi
04-06-2004, 12:10 PM
We had a Dinner and Movie COB last Friday and a girl named Ashley came. We had a blast and she decided to accept her bid. Things are looking up. Will keep you all posted!

chideltjen
04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
We took the championship in Sorority Superbowl this year and Greek Week is right around the corner. I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot of tough matchups. We came really close to winning last year and after superbowl, the defending champs are going to come back with a vengence I am sure. We will be ready for them tho. :) Our Greek Sing routine looked cute so it should be a good time.

tunatartare
04-06-2004, 06:20 PM
We just had our blood drive last Wenesday. We collected much more blood than we were expecting to. :D

SigPhiSunshine
04-08-2004, 05:03 AM
We are 107 years old and have never folded. we were once huge but right now i think 5 more members and we will be too big. when i pledged last fall, we only had 8 members, i had a pledge class of 6 and we brought in a winter pledge lcass of 6 so we have grown so much this year. other sororities are starting to acknowledge our presence on campus again which is really cool. :D

*phi-sigma-rho*
04-21-2004, 03:49 PM
you can never get to big....well i guess you could but ya know im a sister at a local sorority that is not reconized by our school...we just put through my class of 7 winter 2004 ....YAY and now we are working on our spring bunnys we are the 2ed largest sorority on our campus but there is only 4 of us and only 5 frats. we now including my class we have 27 we are all very near and dear to each other we all get along awsome but as a local sorority i think that we strive to become great leaders

phi sigma rho of umass lowell
[COLOR=darkblue]we are not cocky we are just better than the rest

Diamond Delta
04-22-2004, 07:24 PM
I thought Phi Sigma Rho was a NATIONAL sorority for engineers and had 17 chapters with 2 colonies?

Are you guys the same or different group?:)

*phi-sigma-rho*
04-23-2004, 09:01 AM
yea there is a national group as far as i know...im not really sure what the deal is with that i also know of another local phi sigma rho in hawaii...i dont know if that answers your question but i tryd but we are not affiliated.

HollisterDXiChi
04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by *phi-sigma-rho*
you can never get to big....well i guess you could but ya know im a sister at a local sorority that is not reconized by our school...we just put through my class of 7 winter 2004 ....YAY and now we are working on our spring bunnys we are the 2ed largest sorority on our campus but there is only 4 of us and only 5 frats. we now including my class we have 27 we are all very near and dear to each other we all get along awsome but as a local sorority i think that we strive to become great leaders

phi sigma rho of umass lowell
[COLOR=darkblue]we are not cocky we are just better than the rest

Thats what situation I am in too. We're like not recognized-yet, by the campus. I started out with like two pledges and now I have about 5! Im totally geeked!!! Congrats to you too! Thats awesome that you're making a good name for yourselves!

*phi-sigma-rho*
04-23-2004, 11:13 AM
we used to be reconized by our school a long time ago before our reactivation class in 1983, but there was a hazing incident so we no longer are reconized by the school plus with the laws in lowell ma we as a group of girls larger than 6 that would be living together can not have a house but other than that

cristinasmile
07-21-2004, 07:48 PM
We just feel that Student Activities is limiting what we wanted to do from Day One, and that dividing ourselves from Student Activities would allow us to be happy and not feel like were "settling" for something that we can not do in compliance to Student Activities.

We are in the process (thinking and doing process) of dividing ourselves from Student Activities and creating our local sorority. Our group, The Sisterhood of Mount Ida, has been in affect for a semester. The Student Activities board hasn't really "done" anything for us, except recognize us as a group and provide us with a budget. However, we are playing by their rules and feel like there are many limitations upon us that if we were unrecognized, we'd have the ability to do what our original intent was.

Laces02
08-01-2004, 02:41 PM
We're 16 years old and the oldest sorority on my campus, and the smallest. Last fall we had a pledge class of 2 come in and in the spring a class of 1. For the coming fall semester we were only going to be five sisters strong(not including myself), but i just found out yesterday that our Vice-President is taking a leave of abscence. So we're down to 4, and while i was on vacation our whole rush schedule got changed around and we are no longer doing any of the events that were planned when i left. So i'm uber annoyed with the 4 that are active, and very worried about the up coming rush...

SigPhiSunshine
08-03-2004, 12:12 PM
well we got ourselves a new house! were all moving in september first!! :D

KSUViolet06
08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SigPhiSunshine
well we got ourselves a new house! were all moving in september first!! :D

yay for new houses, we're getting one soon too! I'm curious- is it hard for a local to get a house?

SigPhiSunshine
08-16-2004, 12:02 PM
not that i know of. there are 2 local farternities and our sorority and we all have houses. all we had to do was get enough girls in a house and then after a year we can get our letters put on it. there are a few other things we have to do but it isnt difficult.