PDA

View Full Version : Interest Meetings

Enchantress
09-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Hello People.

I am starting a chapter of a sorority at my school this semester and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how I could get more people interested and how to truly conduct an interest meeting. This is neither a NPC nor a NPHC sorority, it is multicultural, so I have been told by some people that there are certain things I can and cannot say during the interest meeting. It is already approved by the national organization so does that mean that the "hush" doesn't apply? If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance.....

PenguinTrax
09-18-2002, 11:51 AM
I would post flyers all over campus, and especially at the Womens' Center, Black Student's association, Asian Students association, etc.

Place several ads in the campus newspaper.

Go and speak at events where potential members might be found (get permission first, of course).

Set up an info table in the union and hand out information about the sorority (nationally and locally).

Get an interview in the local paper (send out press releases about the group and the local interest meeting).

Your national group should be helping you organize this event and should be providing you with sample press kits, flyers, etc. for your use. At least, that's my opinion on what they should be doing to help you.

Enchantress
09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much PnguinTrax and yes the national organization has given me a few things. Only problem is that my school has a VERY small number of students of color. No Asian Association,We have a Black Student Alliance but thats no longer active. Basically, no anything so that is why I was wondering how could I get people interested without intruding into other organizations. Thank you again for your pointers I'll check out that newspaper thing ASAP.

Thanx...

erica812
09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Although my situation is different than yours, I can definitely understand that feeling of not wanting to step on other people's territory. I am currently starting a chapter (Beta Sigma Phi) from scratch, too. The International Headquarters has provided plenty of helpful materials. I have experience in PR and development/organizing, but nothing has helped me deal with my concern that the other GLOs on campus will think I am trying to squirm in where I'm not wanted. What I hope Greeks here will come to understand is that Beta Sigma Phi is different than the other GLOs on campus in many ways, and it will be a community chapter--not limited to the campus. Panhel Rush is next week, and I'm so afraid that people are going to see my ads and think we're a bunch of wanna-be's.

My only advice to you (and what I keep telling myself) is to hold your head up, and promote your chapter in a very positive way. Continue to emphasize that you want to help Greek Life prosper by offering another opportunity for sisterhood. Promote your group to all students...remember the "multi" in multicultural ;)

Also, since the Black Student Alliance is no longer active, you could promote your org. as an opportunity to highlight the small, yet beneficial presence of women of color on your campus.

Just some thoughts...

Erica :)

Enchantress
09-18-2002, 04:34 PM
Thank you Erica for those positive words. I definitely will take heed to what you stated. I don't want the other sororites on campus to feel like we(myself and the other chapter founders) are attempting to invade their space. I was getting a lot of negative responses from people on campus, primarily because it is a multi-cultural sorority. After speaking with the Dean of Student Life he informed me that my sorority would not have to participate in the Panhel rush so some girls are offended by that. I sincerely hope that people will understand that my mission is to promote acceptance not intrusion.

PenguinTrax
09-18-2002, 04:45 PM
I think it might be beneficial to have a meeting with the Panhellenic president and let her know what you are doing, and why. Calm fears, as it were. That might help.

Always be positive when communicating your goals and reasons for starting a m/c organization on campus. Do not 'knock' the other orgs on campus, etc.

Again, PR is the key - and a lot of it. Post lots of catchy flyers, not only on campus, but hit places around town that are frequented by your potential membership (cultural markets, etc.).

Kevin
09-28-2002, 11:18 AM
One thing we did for colony recruitment that helped a lot was set up a table in the University Center -- and then staffed it every day, all day (or until 3PM or so)... Didn't cost us anything and all we did was hang out and have people fill out interest forms from which we recruited them. Was very productive.

LatinaAlumna
10-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Enchantress:

Congratulations on starting something new for the ladies of your campus! This is a challenging road (I've been through it myself) but you will be successful if you and the other ladies in your group stick together and keep everything on a positive and respectful level.

As far as not knowing what you can and cannot say at information meetings, you should contact the national organization for clarification. Always use discretion in your interactions, especially if you decide to do an interview with a campus newspaper. Sometimes comments will be taken out of context to make you sound bad.

Your Student Life Director probably told you that you don't have to participate in rush because she/he may have assumed that you didn't want to. This is actually a reasonable assumption, based on the fact that most MCGLOs, LGLOs, BGLOs, etc. do not participate in the same rush as the IFC and Panhellenic Council organizations. If you do want to participate in the same recruitment activities, let it be known. A lot of administrators are still learning about the differences between the various types of GLOs, so she/he may actually think that they are being "sensitive" to your organization's special focus by giving you this option.

Don't let negativity on campus get you down. Keep your head up! :D