PDA

View Full Version : A New Recruitment Thread!

suzymoonspider
09-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Recruitment starts Thursday for me. Here is a sched.

Thurs- 9/19 Orientation- 7pm- 9pm

Friday- 9/20 Open House 3pm-10:30 pm

Sat- 9/21 Philanthropy Events - all day

Sun- 9/22 Preference- all day

Mon- 9/23 Bid Night- 5pm- ??

I am really excited. And trying to figure out what to wear. I don't know what is the "norm" for this school but are Rho Chi's (not called that though I think) are suppose to call us and talk to us. So I bet they will let us know.

There sororities on campus are ZTA, AOII, Gamma Phi Beta, AXDelta, Alpha Phi and Chi Omega.

I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma Legacy- and always thought I wanted to be a Kappa- but there is no Kappa on my campus. I realized it doesn't matter which sorority I join as long as I feel welcome! They are all wonderful.

So any last minute advice on clothing, and interesting questions. If you have recommendations I will take them- if not I will go in, be myself and know that everything will work out right in the end-

I will let you know what is going on each night of recruitment (without revealing the sororities of course) and then *hopefully* reveal my knew sisters. If not, well it could be a sign, because I am not 100% sure I want to stay at this college anyway. We will see:)

AOIIalum
09-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Good luck, Suzy!

As for clothing, wear whatever looks best on you (of course!) Clean, neat, tastefully accessorized, I know you know the drill. Most definitely wear comfortable shoes, recruitment just is not the time to break in a new pair of shoes if you can avoid it. Make sure to ask your "rho chi's" for suggestions on what to wear for each round, they're the ones who will know what to--and what not to wear.

If your school has a Greek Life site, you may want to check out the info and links there if you haven't already. Best of luck to you and let us know how things are going!

Christin

APhiRattlerGal
09-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Much luck to you. Just follow your heart.

KDHoney
09-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Good luck to you! It sounds like you have a great attitude and an open mind and those will be really important through the whole process. Can't wait to hear more...

Shark_in_Skirt
09-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Best of luck to you!

XOXO,
Annie.

xo_kathy
09-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Good Luck, Suzy!

I was a Kappa legacy, too. But there weren't any on my campus either. And Chi Omega was my mom's arch rival sorority at her school! But once she met the girls she loved them and was very happy for me! I'm sure all will work out for you one way or another! Have fun!!!

AOX81
09-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Good luck Suzy!!

gphiangel624
09-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Good luck with recruitment! I'm sure you've heard a million times, but go in with an open mind and go with what your heart tells you!

;)

SATX*APhi
09-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Best of luck Suzy. You have five amazing sororities to choose from!! Follow your heart and remember: HAVE FUN! :)

suzymoonspider
09-17-2002, 06:10 PM
I turned in my money and form- Orientation is Thurs at 7. I am researching each sorority so that I can ask informed questions. To orientation I am just planning on wearing jeans- then open house a cute skirt and top- black pants for philanthropy and a nice top then for pref I have an adorable pink dress from River Island (my fav store in the whole world- there aren't any in the US). I will tell you all about it each night:)

violets
09-17-2002, 06:13 PM
suzymoonspider,
So, so glad to hear that you're researching the sororities, that's fabulous!!!
Your outfits sound lovely, you're going to have a wonderful time!
violets
P.S. Absolutely Adorable Nickname! I love it.

aephi alum
09-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Good luck :)

suzymoonspider
09-18-2002, 07:17 PM
I got a message from a "Rho Chi" today- the orientation is in the form of a fashion show- telling us the dos and don'ts for recruitment outfits- I thought that was a cute idea. Then we meet all the "Rho Chi's" and get the run down for the weekend. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow night:) I can't wait!

suzymoonspider
09-19-2002, 09:31 PM
So I just got back from orientation. It was so much fun and short. The only complaint I have is that we have to be there to pick up invites at 9 on Sat and Sun BUT don't have the parties till in the afternoon- which means that I am stuck either driving back home or hanging out on campus- I go to a commuter school- what were they thinking- but it s nice cause a friend is going through recruitment to and we will drive back and forth together.

The fashion show was cute- telling us the do's and don't. DON'T wear PJs with a teddy bear and pig tales (tehehe). And they set up tables for each of the chapters- though some tables had CONSIDERABLY nicer tables than others- which might hurt some of the chapters- We will see.

I have 6 parties tomorrow from 3-10 pm then I have to eliminate 2. It should be fun. Tell you all about it tomorrow:)

GeekyPenguin
09-20-2002, 12:12 AM
...pssst, go Gamma Phi!...

AlphaSigLana
09-20-2002, 12:20 AM
That does stink that you have such a long waiting time. I am so excited to hear what happens.

doubleblue&gold
09-20-2002, 12:26 AM
Yes, sounds strange to have to wait all day doesn't it! It happens everywhere. It's so there's time to go thru your invites and accept where you'll go and then try to get everyone's schedule verified so that the parties have an evenly distributed number. And last, so the sororities can know who's coming. The most important thing.....just have fun and give each group an equal chance, and you'll find the place you're meant to be.

Good Luck!

suzymoonspider
09-20-2002, 11:32 PM
OK! It is now 11:30 pm and I am just getting home:) and have to be back at school at 9 am-JOY. So here is a *quick* rundown

Group 1- LOVED! LOVED! LOVED! They sang a song as we walked in and I really felt welcome- so far my number one choice

Group 2- I really liked them too- they have a strong national and the first girl I talked to I had things in common with. I am definately keep them cause I see myself here as well as 1- it will workout

Group 3- They were nice- but not for me. They are really small and I feel that might hurt their recruitment- overall nice girls though

Group 4- I really didn't mind these girls- they are less pretty and popular but are nice- I didn't *clique* but I am keeping them because maybe it was just the vibe of the night- maybe it will be better tomorrow

Group 5- I didn't like these girls- they were so stereotypical- all tall all blonde all appeared kinda well- ditzy. I mean they were nice and all but I wouldn't fit in. Not for me

Group 6- I am kinda mixed about. I really like them but something wasn't there but I am keeping them too.

SO! If I get invited back to all six- I am keeping all but 3 and 5. That's if I get invited back everywhere and I am not cutting I am regreting with interest to keep my options open.

I can't wait till tomorrow. Talk to you guys tomorrow night:)

KDHoney
09-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Good luck...can't wait to hear about the invites!

maggieaxid
09-21-2002, 05:25 PM
I was wondering about that too. I know the AZD chapter is a little young-- it colonized in 1998 or 1999, and before that i think it was just ZTA and AOTT....but who knows? Any light on that Suzymoon?

rubyrose
09-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Suzymoon posted an earlier thread to find out info about GMU's sororities and it turns out that GMU's Greek Life webpage is strangely out of date. There are in fact 6 chapters there.

Suzymoon, I hope you are enjoying recruitment. From your latest post it sounds like you are. I hope you get invited back to the houses you really want. Have fun!

suzymoonspider
09-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Well let me fill you in on my Sat. I was cut from 2, so I didn't have to choose. I was actually only shocked by one cut- I was cut from Group 5 +6. Maybe I was more tired and didn't put out a good impression. I dunno, but I regress.

Group 1- I really do love these girls. I seem to have cliqued well with them and I think they are important. We had a "carnival" and we one prizes to put in a bag that goes to their charity. This is definately in my top two.

Group 2- Again I really like this group. Group 1+2 are my fav. One girl from yesterday came up to me and we talked for a long time- but I made sure I met a lot of other girls. I made picture frames for their philanthropy.

Group 3- I still like these girls- but I don't know if I could call this "home", they seem really nice but something is missing- the conversation didn't flow as naturally. I made dream catchers.

Group 4- These girls are sooooo nice. I really like them and I really don't look forward to cutting them. I just didn't "fit" as well as I think I did with Groups 1+2. We made items in their mascot that helped out their philanthropy (REALLY hard to tell you without you being able to guess)

I am really nervous about pref tomorrow. I hope I get my top to invites:) I REALLY HOPE!! I am not sure if I really want the other two and might drop out if I don't get the top too. AHHHH! I am trying to keep and open mind but at the same time follow my heart.

*deep breathe* it'll all work out. Actually, talking to all you GCers helps:) Thanks guys!

KDHoney
09-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Glad it's going well for you...good luck!

sassykd
09-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Good luck and have lots of fun!

I am sure you will end up where it is right.

Melissa

RockChalk
09-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Good luck Suzy! When will you find out who invited you?

maggieaxid
09-22-2002, 12:10 PM
yes, it will all work out- it always does!

suzymoonspider
09-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Well- I got 3 invites back- group 2dropped me. I dropped Group 4, but with interest. So I went to group 1+3. Here is how it went:

Group 1- I still love these girls, I have similar values and beliefs as them. I feel like I really bonded with the one girl I talked with. I only talked to one girl in depth, but I think that is how pref is. I hope I made a good impression.

Group 3- I went in with a little apprehension. I didn't feel I knew these girls as well and I wanted to. I absolutely LOVED talking to who I did all evening. They actually made my choice harder because I was so gung ho on group one. They seemed a lot more open today than before.

So I ended my pref card signing with 1 then 2. I think I will be happy with either and could call either home. We don't find out till 5pm tomorrow (Monday) and it won't be posted on GC till late (unless I didn't get a bid but hopefully that won't happen). I won't be home till between 10 and 11.

Wish me luck:)

maggieaxid
09-22-2002, 05:46 PM
I am so excited for you!
And personally, I hope one of your choices is Alpha Xi!

Shameless plug:

with-an-A, with-an-A, with an A-L-P
With an A-L-P and a P-H-A
Alpha xi
sing it, sing it, sing it to the sky
come on sisters, come on sisters, shout it till you die
oh i am so proud to be an Alpha Xi
Hey!

AOIIalum
09-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Good luck, Suzy! Hope your dreams come true tomorrow :)

Christin

ZTABullwinkle
09-22-2002, 09:40 PM
Good Luck Suzy!! I can't wait to hear how everything went!!!

Here is my shameless plug: :D

Oh Zeta! Z-E-T-A-T-A-U-A-L-P-H-A
Bringing love and sisterhood each and every day,
When you are a part of it, you're always proud to say,
Oh Zeta! Z-E-T-A-T-A-U-A-L-P-H-A

KDHoney
09-22-2002, 11:15 PM
No shameless plugs here...not that I wouldn't do it if KD was an option;) Good luck tomorrow...can't wait to hear!

FuzzieAlum
09-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Good luck! Anyone with such a cute name should get the house she wants! ;) But I'm rooting with Maggie here!

suzymoonspider
09-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Well, I did NOT get a call...and it is now noon. So I am a proud new member of one of my two. I felt more at home with the first but love the girl I met during pref with the second. So either would suit me just fine.

BUT THE SUSPENCE IS KILLING ME!! What will it be will it be XYZ or XYZ, I would tell you my final two but I am not sure if that would jinx myself or not:) I will let you know after I do:)

mmcat
09-23-2002, 01:10 PM
i'm real real curious...
but at least you know you are some place.
cheers
:D

maggieaxid
09-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Can you at least tell us who the two might be?

browneyedgirl41
09-23-2002, 04:06 PM
GOOD LUCK! I too am rushing--check out the My Rush thread ;) My bidnight is tonight too--and I am getting SO EXCITED!!! I wish 8:45 would come SOONER!!!!!!!!!!

AOIIalum
09-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Oh boy, I can't wait to hear where you have found your new home and sisters!

Christin

MTSUGURL
09-23-2002, 06:09 PM
I'm rooting for AZD!!!!!!!!!

AOIIBrandi
09-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Good luck :) I'm sure you will have a wonderful home and sisterhood with whoever you get. Of course I'm secretly hoping for AOII ;)

gphiangel624
09-23-2002, 08:07 PM
I'm dying to know where you went, and of course I'm pulling for Gamma Phi! No matter what, you know all of us on GC will be happy for you! But please please please tell us where you're going soon! I can't spend my days on the computer, waiting for results anymore!

suzymoonspider
09-24-2002, 12:54 AM
My Best Friend is a proud new member of Gamma Phi Beta.

I am a proud new member of.....................

not yet, keep going!

AZD!!!!!!!! Who are, who are, who are we?? We are, we are Alpha Xi !!!!

sugar and spice
09-24-2002, 12:57 AM
Congratulations!

CarolinaCutie
09-24-2002, 12:57 AM
YAY I get to be the first to offer you a big CONGRATULATIONS!

Edit: OK, so maybe I get to be the second :p Either way, I'm happy for you!

MelissaS
09-24-2002, 12:58 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

gphiangel624
09-24-2002, 01:01 AM
Congrats to both of you! I'm so happy for both of you! Tell your best friend that she has to come on to GC so we can all welcome her properly, just as we're welcoming you! Yay! I'm so excited for both of you!

KDHoney
09-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Congrats to you and to AZD! Here's to a lifetime of happy sisterhood...:D

doubleblue&gold
09-24-2002, 03:28 AM
The Alpha Xis are more than friends
We're loyal sisters true

We'll stand together side by side
We gladly WELCOME YOU!

Welcome to our wonderful circle of sisterhood! Pink roses to you!

GPhiBLtColonel
09-24-2002, 04:29 AM
Congratulations Suzy Moon -- AXiD is a great sorority! I was there in Northern Va when they colonized. I admit, though, that I am very partial to the sorority of your best friend! ;) Tell her to get on GC and get a warm GC welcome!! The GMU Gamma Phis are a neat bunch of girls with good local alum support -- when I was stationed in Wash DC four years ago at the State Dept, we did a lot of things at GMU both with our own sorority and with the Alum Panhel -- lots of good support there too! o I know you will enjoy sorority life at GMU! Congratulations!

AOIIalum
09-24-2002, 06:54 AM
Congrats Suzy! Have a wonderful time with your new AZD sisters. How exciting for you and for your best friend to each have new homes to call your own.

Thanks for sharing, and congrats to your best friend on Gamma Phi!

Fraternally,
Christin

aephi alum
09-24-2002, 09:02 AM
Congrats! :)

AlphaXiGirl31
09-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Congratulations and welcome to Alpha Xi Delta!!!!!! You are going to have the most amazing experience!

maggieaxid
09-24-2002, 09:48 AM
I am so happy that I can call you a sister!
Pink Roses to you!!!!

MTSUGURL
09-24-2002, 10:10 AM
YAY!!! Congratulations to AZD and you! I know you will have a wonderful time getting to know your new sisters.

rubyrose
09-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Congrats on Alpha Xi! I am thrilled for you!

AOIIBrandi
09-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Congratulations to you and AZD :)

tcsparky
09-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Congratulations, and welcome!!!

violets
09-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Suzymoonspider,
Congratulations on Alpha Xi Delta, welcome to Greek life!
I'm so happy for you.
violets

mmcat
09-24-2002, 01:13 PM
congrats to you both.
have a ball.
:D :cool:

AXO_MOM_3
09-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Congrats on AZD! Have a blast in your new sisterhood!

GeekyPenguin
09-25-2002, 09:59 AM
My computer was so excited for you that it ate my post! :)

Congratulations, you will just love the first few weeks of sorority life, I know I have!!!!

and get your friend on here so we can give her a Gammie welcome!