PDA

View Full Version : First Thread!

KappaKittyCat
09-09-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm going to start this nifty new forum off by saying that when I grow up, I want to be a professional Kappa.

No, seriously, I'm going to apply for a field representative position after I graduate, and I know I'll continue on as an advisor wherever I wind up when I grow up.

If I grow up...

Eupolis
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi, KappaKittyCat!

As you know, I'm working on my job search out here in the Denver area. It's slow going. I think the hardest part right now is for me to stay optimistic ('cos who wants a pessimistic lawyer?). I'm new to the area and know very few people here. The market is tight and firms are slowing hiring. The big ones are even deferring their incoming classes a few months. The economy in the area is generally slower these days.

I'm trying to track down people who went to my law school and who have been around here for a while, in hopes that they can give me some leads and help orient me with the area. Meanwhile, I'm flinging resumes here and there, even though it's proven to be the least effective way to get a job, just in case it helps a bit.

It's frustrating, though, since a few years back these same credentials (BA from LU, JD from University of Minnesota with executive editorship of a specialty journal and a year in the law clinic) would have made it pretty easy to find a job. I'm hoping that by pouring in the effort to meet some people in the area, I can turn it into a process that won't be that hard, after all.

aggieAXO
09-09-2002, 10:33 PM
cool-a new forum!!

Any pre-vet majors out there are any already veterinarians-I love to talk shop.

Karen

APhi
09-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Hi Eupolis,
I'm in the Denver area too. Westminster/Broomfield specifically. It's a tight market here right now. Been having lots of trouble since I got laid off in March. Good luck and hang in there. Things have got to turn around eventually.

Eupolis
09-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi APhi,

I live in Broomfield -- I moved here in May.

What work did you do before March? You didn't say.

--
tph

APhi
09-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Uhm... IT Help Desk. Had a job in Boulder for a year and two months. I've had a temp assignment since May that's ended and been picked back up 2-3 times now. Little less money than I'd like and some odd hours but at least it's work. Had LOTS of interviews that didn't go anywhere in the meantime. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should find a new line of work or try to ride out this tech sector mess.

Eupolis
09-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by APhi
Uhm... IT Help Desk. Had a job in Boulder for a year and two months. I've had a temp assignment since May that's ended and been picked back up 2-3 times now. Little less money than I'd like and some odd hours but at least it's work. Had LOTS of interviews that didn't go anywhere in the meantime. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should find a new line of work or try to ride out this tech sector mess.

It's hard to say. This area has (had?) a big tech sector, and that means that there are a lot of people with strong technical backgrounds out of work or in perilous situations right now. I don't know the industry enough to know how things will wash out.

I suspect that telecom is definitely still angling for a more complete crash. Qwest in particular. I don't know what kind of ripple effect that'll have on the rest of tech around here in the short and long term.

aephi alum
09-11-2002, 09:39 PM
A new forum... nice :)

The tech sector is not a fun place to be right now. I was laid off in May and am currently working part-time as an admin assistant to keep the bills paid. NOBODY is hiring. :(

Meantime, I'm making lemonade out of my lemon, and working on tech certifications, as well as doing some volunteer work and indulging my hobbies of cooking and gardening. :)