PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to UCO

Kevin
06-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Just heard Phi Lambda Chi is recolonizing at Central Oklahoma after being dormant there for many years. I've seen your chapter was founded here in 1954. When did it go dormant?

Tom Earp
07-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Always great to see Greeks expanding or returning to any campus! Good luck to them!

naraht
07-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Just heard Phi Lambda Chi is recolonizing at Central Oklahoma after being dormant there for many years. I've seen your chapter was founded here in 1954. When did it go dormant?
According to the 1977 edition of Baird's Manual, the chapter chartered in 1954, went inactive in 1959 and had 128 brothers during the time that it was active.

(I'm at work, so I don't have my personal copy of that Baird's but I've gotten *really* good at getting the snippet views at books.google.com to show me what I want. In this case https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=%22phi+lambda+chi%22+%22central+state+okla%22++t heta
)

However an image in the UCO archives dated 1960-03 (March 1960)
http://library.uco.edu/archives/gallery/gallery_arc/?k=E0097
is titled the Phi Lambda Chi Fraternity house.

Additionally an image of some brothers outside their house can be seen at http://library.uco.edu/archives/gallery/gallery_arc/index.cfm?PageNum_results=12&bycat=14 (down near the bottom)

Kevin
07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Nice. I didn't know how long they had been dormant. Looking at their other chapters, UCO seems to be a good fit for the type of school they colonize at. They seem to be at a lot of schools in UCO's athletic conference. Maybe they can bring Jim Ross (of WWF fame) around.

d59u
07-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Phi Lambda Chi was the first national fraternity at UCO. It withdrew from the national organization 1959 to become Phi Lambda Nu. In 1962 it became a chapter of Alpha Tau Omega.

Kevin
07-07-2017, 10:42 AM
And ATO just recolonized a year or two ago.

smithpt
08-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Thanks Kevin - we are looking forward to getting back onto campus at UCO! We have hopes of getting things going this fall, but we are having to examine our strategy for that as a couple of our members who were undergraduates on campus are not around anymore. We have also absorbed a chapter from another (non-NIC) organization in the last year and that has opened up a few more things for us (while taking a little bit of our time and resources). We're hopeful to get back onto campuses where we had chapters in the past, and UCO is one we are absolutely excited about.

We are in the expansion mindset and we have identified a few campuses that we would like to explore. We have also been approved for interest group operations at Northwestern Oklahoma - home of our former Kappa Chapter - which died out in the early 1970s (not sure of the year right now).

Kevin
08-04-2017, 02:10 PM
If your expansion people want to get the lay of the land, I'm now the Sigma Nu chapter adviser at UCO and was one of the chapter founders back in '99. If there's any way I can be of assistance, feel free to reach out.

smithpt
08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
If your expansion people want to get the lay of the land, I'm now the Sigma Nu chapter adviser at UCO and was one of the chapter founders back in '99. If there's any way I can be of assistance, feel free to reach out.

Thanks Kevin. We've put a pause on the UCO efforts for the time being (we had an undergrad on campus and who has departed and an associate VP who was an alumnus and retired), and with an unexpected absorption of the non-NIC chapter that has extended our resources. UCO is allowing us to revisit our petition to expand in the next few years.

Kevin
08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
UCO is an open campus. If you want a chapter there, you put a chapter there. We're adding a new NIC group almost every year, maybe every semester.