PDA

View Full Version : My Advice to Sorority Rushees.....

southern_theta
07-18-2000, 11:21 AM
A NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR: THIS THREAD IS VERY SPECIFIC TO RUSH AT LARGE, SOUTHERN SCHOOLS. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR UNIVERSITY GREEK LIFE OFFICE WITH SPECIFIC QUESTIONS REGARDING DRESS, LETTERS OF REFERENCE, FEES, AND APPLICATION DEADLINES.

******BEFORE RUSH********************
if you have any relatives, friends, teachers, bosses, or friends of the family who are alumnae or active members of a sorority which has a chapter at your college, ask them to fill out a recommendation form for you. give them a headshot photo of yourself to send in with the form. try to get recs even if they're not required, because they are always helpful & they'll make you stand out.

if you are a legacy, your relative needs to contact the chapter at your school and
introduce you with a letter.

be aware that the sisters are checking you out before rush has begun. if you have
classes with them, or see them at parties, they notice how you act & how you carry
yourself. don't do anything foolish in the early days of school & ruin your chances of
getting a good bid. if you acquire a slutty reputation right off the bat, and the girls
hear about it, you're basically finished with all the top sororities http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif . if you're rushing in the early fall, this won't be as much of an issue for you, but this is crucial if you rush in winter. at schools with winter rush, the sisters basically know who they want
(by observing you & casually getting to know the freshmen girls) before formal rush has ever begun.

use the days before rush to check out the sisters & how they interact with each other. you may notice that you overhear some groups bitching about their sisters in public http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif (a really bad sign about what it's like once you're in that house!), while you'll never hear that sort of thing from other groups. try to notice which houses seem the closest-knit, and which chapters have tons of cliques that divide the house.

******WHAT TO WEAR*******************

the expectations vary from college to college. before rush, panhellenic will let you know how fancy each night is. if they give you a range of fanciness for a particular night (such as, "you may wear nice pants or skirt"), always choose the dressier
option. it is worth the money & effort to look your absolute best for rush because you
only have 1 short week to make a good impression on the sisters. make sure your
clothes are neat & ironed. choose things that make you look sleek and classic. get a
haircut a week or 2 before rush, and do your nails. wear classic jewelry, like pearls or
a simple necklace. don't wear any clothes, jewelry, or makeup that's just plain weird,
because sororities want girls who will fit in, not stick out. if you have a chance to
observe the girls before rush, you may want to dress in the style of the chapters that
you most want to join. this is an easy (if shallow) way to show them how well you'd
fit.

******RUSH PARTIES********************

you will have to make an awful lot of small talk during each rush party. be prepared to
answer these questions over & over:
1. where are you from? what high school?
2. how do you like college so far?
3. what do you want to major in?
4. what activities are you involved in?
5. what did you do last night?
6. what did you do this summer/over christmas?
if they offer you food or a drink, feel free to accept 1 serving. they wouldn't offer the
stuff if they didn't want you to have it. never have seconds though. be careful of eating things like chocolate dipped strawberries because seeds may stick in your teeth! another thing, never ever ask to use the bathroom during a rush party because they'll interpret that as a signal that you're not interested in their house, and you may be cut because of that.

******WHAT SORORITIES ARE LOOKING FOR******

sororities try to select the rushees that they feel are:
1. enthusiastic about sororities (let this show!)
2. fun
3. poised
4. GENUINE is a big thing
5. dynamic
6. able to carry on the traditions and maintain the good reputation of the chapter
7. able to fit in with the current members, sharing the same values
8. confident and self-assured
9. positive & upbeat

******HOW TO CHOOSE**********************

almost all rushees just sense which house to choose once the pref night parties are over and the time has come to complete the preference card. it is just a feeling of which place was meant for you. you will probably attend 2 or 3 pref night parties. at the pref party of your best sorority, the one that's right for you, you'll feel touched by the ceremony & feel perfectly at home http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif . at the others, you'll be impressed but you won't feel that same connectedness. you should choose the house that has girls who are like you right now, not one that has girls that you want to become more like. choose the house where you had the best conversations during rush parties.choose the house where the sisters seem to get along the best, without lots of cliques within the house. choose the house that can provide you with the most opportunities, socially & for service. choose a house with a reputation that you can be proud of. choose a house where you'll have a great pledge class (you can see what your pledge class might be like by seeing which rushees are the house's pref party with you).

it any of you other girls who have already been through rush have more tips, post them here! and if any rushees have more questions, i'd be glad to help if you leave them here. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by southern_theta (edited July 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited June 19, 2001).]

southern_theta
07-18-2000, 02:03 PM
my school (which is 75% greek by the way) holds formal rush for women in the winter. we get photos of every freshman woman in august at the beginning of school out of the freshman facebook. we don't yet know who will rush (registration isn't until late october). we look at those photos from the facebook to try to familiarize ourselves with all of the freshmen women (i.e. potential rushees). at our meetings during the fall, we discuss the freshmen girls and we refer to the photos if we can't put a face with the name being discussed. the purpose of headshots is to help all the sisters get familiar with the freshmen before rush begins. some sororities may put up a slide of your picture during voting (if they use that method, mine doesn't) to help everyone remember who you are.

another bit of inside info about rush that i'd like to add--the night BEFORE pref night is crucial. if you make it to this night, you're doing great. you have survived the biggest cuts. houses usually don't cut after pref night.

equeen
07-18-2000, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by southern_theta:
never ever ask to use the bathroom during a rush party because they'll interpret that as a signal that you're not interested in their house, and you may be cut because of that.

http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif...how can the call of nature be interpreted in such a weird way?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies (http://www.alpha-sigma-kappa.org)

southern_theta
07-18-2000, 03:57 PM
i guess the theory behind that bathroom thing is that girls might ask to go to the bathroom if they were bored with the conversation or weren't really excited about rush and were looking to get away. since rush parties are less than an hour long, and the rushees can pee before they go in, some actives might interpret them going to the bathroom when they ought to be meeting sisters & getting introduced around as them not really caring about rush or not being excited about that particular sorority. that piece of advice is actually something that i read somewhere, not some policy in my own chapter, so i just thought i'd pass it along and you can use it or not.

equeen
07-18-2000, 04:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying the POV.

etienneSAI
07-18-2000, 04:49 PM
southern_theta,

well-said girl! bravo on such a great post! i just have a few things that might be useful as well:

if you're interested in a particular house (esp. if you're a legacy for that house), read up on it! do your research and find out what you like about that sorority. maybe thier philanthropy is something you feel very strongly about. finding that out and letting the girls in that house know before hand can really affect your standing with the girls.

see what qualities you have that match the qualities and personalities of the girls whose houses you're rushing. simply put, find out who you'd click with. don't waste your time courting the girls that have the best house, the nicest clothes or the best fraternity to hang with, if you're not going to necesarily(sp) get along with them. they can smell a poser a mile away.

some other things that i know my ladies look for in rushees are :

~*~if they're mingling with other rushees and how they get along with them. (shows group involvment)
~*~if they're migrating to one sister, or trying to meet them all.
~*~if they know anything about the sorority ahead of time (if they took time to do research)
~*~if they take the time to see the displays we've put up. usually we put up pictures of sisters, big sis/little sis gifts (that can be displayed publicly) and information about our philanthropy.
~*~what thier reasons are for coming in the first place (if they REALLY want to be there, of if thier roommate made them come with them...although sometimes you can find a good pledge or two in this category)
~*~answers to group questions such as "why are you here tonight?", "what do you think you could bring to this organization?", "where do you see yourself fitting in with this group?" and things like that.

rush is different everywhere, and southern_theta did a great job of really summarizing a lot of common traits. above all else, BE YOURSELF! any sorority with brains can tell if you're putting up a front to try and get in. of course, if you DO bypass that and happen to get a bid, they'll see your "true self" sooner or later and it's just a big mess...better to be yourself the first time around! good luck! i'd like to extend the invitation to answer questions as well as southern_theta...i'm sure we both have different perspectives on this topic!

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

soccerchik
07-21-2000, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the info! I'm still in h.s.
and was kinda wondering about RUSH and stuff.
I have a few friends in sororities...but all this info really helped. If you think of any other info, please post it. Thanks!

beth5483
07-22-2000, 01:33 AM
WOW! This information was really helpful! I enjoy learning about rush--I am soo nervus aboout it!

Manders
07-26-2000, 08:53 AM
For all you girls saying you are so nervous....don't be! It's really nothing to be nervous about. Instead of Winter rush we have spring rush, which is what I did. If any of you are planning on doing this, it is COMPLETELY different. It's a lot more laid back and casual. Fall is very formal. Be prepared to meet TONS of people and really try to remember names. In regards to head shots, recs, etc. Before you go out and do this, check to see if this is even a thing at your school. I know that at my school if you brought all that in it would look like you're a little too eager. People would look at you like "what's all this?" More important than anything I think, is don't go with the sorority with the best rep or the "hot girls" or anything like that. Go with girls you can be great friends with!

AlphaChiGirl
07-27-2000, 12:08 AM
Wow...Southern Theta, that was great! That's basically what I learned the summer prior to my Freshman Year (I'm from the South). It turned out I was overprepared for my school (progressive liberal school in New England), but it worked out for the best. I don't think Rush is a thing that you can be overprepared for. That bathroom thing is a little odd, but I can appreciate it. I'm going to be Rush Chair next year, so anything I hear helps. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Texas Alum
07-28-2000, 09:17 PM
southern_theta : WAY TO GO! you did an awesome job. I'm going to direct all the HS seniors I know to your post; it really sums up the formal fall rush need-to-know.

Other things I'd like to add - THESE ARE GEARED MOSTLY TOWARD FORMAL FALL - I have no experience with delayed rush:

1) when you ask people to write recommendations ("recs") for you, only ask once! Don't be pushy - unless it's your scatter-brained aunt who lets you get away with it.

2) If you do not know a lot of Greek alumnae, look up the local Panhellenic alumnae org. in your area (cities will have one definitely, towns might have a regional one - if you can't find yours, call the PH office at the university you are attending, they will guide you). Often you can register with your area Panhellenic, and then alumnae that you don't even know will write letters on your behalf! Nobody says this, but recs are all-important at a lot of schools - so don't ignore them!

3) Re: your head shots: the goal of this is mainly recognition. The sorority wants to be able to identify you on sight when you come into their house. THAT'S IT! You want to look cute, classy and casual. This is not the time for your prom photos, or Glamour Shots with a lot of hair and makeup and a feather boa, or your cheerleading picture. Also, however you look in your head shots, don't make major changes before rush - i.e. dramatic hair cut or color. The sorority members then might not recognize you at first. Just wait till after Bid Day!

4) Prior to and during rush week: watch out for AGENTS! An agent is a term for someone who is unofficially representing a sorority but is not a member - such as the boyfriend of a member. You need to always be on your very best behavior, because you never know when the person in line behind you at the cafeteria might be listening to every word you say. Also, do not listen to the opinions of fraternity men on "which sororities are the best". They are not a part of the sisterhood and most of those "rankings" are based on shallow things like who their chapter mixes with, who they think the cutest girls are, etc.

5) My foolproof tip for making rush conversation at the first round of parties:

If you think you are tired of hearing those same five questions over and over (major, high school, what did you do last night, interests, etc.) - imagine how tired the active is of asking! An active will definitely positively remember a rushee who has an interesting story to tell, or asks HER a question instead of only following her lead. Pick a short interesting anecdote - maybe about your moving-in experience, or about your summer travels, anything that reflects on you positively - and use it at every house! (but only ONCE... you don't want to be remembered at the second round of parties as the girl who tells the same story over and over) You will feel confident if conversation lags, and the active will get a chance to learn something more about you.

6) Turn a worst-case scenario into a positive experience. If you are late for a party for some reason (usually discouraged by PH), apologize to your hostess (the active) and then let it go! If you get a run in your hose or a truck of fraternity boys with water balloons drives by and splats you (true story!), laugh it off and let it go! You will be remembered for your poise and grace under pressure.

7) NEVER BUT NEVER ever say anything negative about another sorority while at a party - even if it is at your very favorite chapter. You wouldn't (and shouldn't) be asked about your experiences at another house, but if you are, be neutrally positive but not effusive. It looks SOOOOOO bad.

8) This is well-known at Texas schools and can be a key strategy move:

If you are at the chapter house on pref night (the last party), then they are 99% prepared to offer you a bid... but they are trying to guess if you are going to pref them too! If the sorority thinks you are only halfway interested in them, they might put you lower on their bid list in favor of a girl who they KNOW is going to pref them first.

A sorority member can't (and shouldn't) ask you directly about your intentions on pref night. That's dirty rushing, and is influential. BUT... there is nothing to stop you from expressing your intentions to HER! At your favorite house on pref night, make sure you are at the TOP of their bid list by saying something like "I just love XYZ and feel really at home here" or "I really hope I will see you again on Bid Day."

Ask your Rho Chi or Panhellenic reps before rush what the restrictions are on rushee conversation, but ALMOST ALWAYS the rule is that the sororities themselves are restricted -- but the rushees can say anything they'd like.

SoCalGirl
09-08-2000, 01:34 PM
Okay, this is REALLY LONG!!!

More advice, since not every one has started yet & some of ya’ll have crazy rushes that last for weeks. I agree with most of what has been said so far. But more advice doesn’t usually hurt.

***Disclaimer—all the advice we give is really best suited at rush for our own schools or possibly the region that the school is in. Southern rush & Western rush are really at two ends of the scale.

For the best universal advice search for everything PnguinTrax has written on the topic. She knows her stuff, and it’s all been checked by the NPC. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

+++BEFORE RUSH+++
Do some self evaluation.

Write down all the reasons that you want to be in a sorority. Be honest with yourself! Include the superficial and the deep reasons.

Write down all the experiences that you want to get out of a sorority. Once again honesty is key.

After doing that, ask yourself if you really want to do this right now. Unless it’s a firm no, go through rush. The night before Pref, and immediately after, ask yourself again. If you have doubts at this point, talk to your Rho Chi. It’s what she’s there for.

+++WHAT TO WEAR+++
I disagree with the advice to wear what you see the members wearing. Unless that’s what you already like and want to wear. I also disagree that sororities want girls who will fit in, not stick out. My sorority is not looking for clones. We’re looking for girls that people notice. Why have members that blend into the crowd when one stand out can get a lot more attention for your chapter? Yeah we want girls that will get along and click personality wise. But image wise- if a girl dresses uniquely it shows me that she has a lot of self confidence.

Dress like yourself & be sure that you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. I do agree with the advice to go with the dressier option if given a range. When in doubt, ask the Rho Chi.

+++HOW TO CHOOSE+++
It’s been said a million times: most girls “just know”. But if that feeling doesn’t just come to you… there are other ways.

When I went through rush the house I ended up in was 1st in my heart but #2 in my head. The house that was 2nd in my heart was #1 in my head. I was completely torn up by this.
With ABC (not my house) I had great conversation. It ran the gambit from touching & heart felt to totally random. I was completely nervous during the parties and completely impressed by the girls. I balled my eyes out during Pref. I knew that if I joined them I could be friends with them, and they were just like I wanted to be.
With XYZ (my house) I had good conversation that was kept mainly to the sorority. I was very calm during all the parties, including Pref. I knew that if I joined them I’d be friends with these girls, and they were already like me. But the thing that really showed me the way was that I knew that I could be friends with these girls even if I didn’t join. I somehow knew that if I hadn’t rushed ABC I probably never would have talked to any of them. But the XYZs were girls that I would start a conversation with in class.

So follow your heart! Pick the house that you already are similar to, not what you want to be molded into. Pick the house that you would have been friends with anyways.

mgdzkm433
09-08-2000, 02:13 PM
Ok, I've been reading and I just have to say that when I decided to go to rush parties, if I wasn't good enough the way I was, then they weren't good enough for me. Girls, please please please please don't be someone else at rush. Why would you want to join a organization that was not a reflection of you or what you believe in?!? Furthermore, if you are joining a sorority for the social hype of it all, you're joining for the wrong reasons. Yeah, you want to get along with the sisters or it won't be a good experience, but you should be joining because you're interested in what the sorority stands for. . . biggest example PHILANTHROPY!!! The social aspect of sororities are only a minor part of it. This is not a popularity contest! Sororities are around to further goals. . . goals such as education, aiding the hearing and seeing impaired, animal rights, breast cancer research. If you're not interested in any of these things, then you are wasting not only your time and money, but the sorority's time and money.

" it is worth the money & effort to look your absolute best for rush because you
only have 1 short week to make a good impression on the sisters. make sure your
clothes are neat & ironed. choose things that make you look sleek and classic. get a
haircut a week or 2 before rush, and do your nails. wear classic jewelry, like pearls or
a simple necklace. don't wear any clothes, jewelry, or makeup that's just plain weird,
because sororities want girls who will fit in, not stick out. if you have a chance to
observe the girls before rush, you may want to dress in the style of the chapters that
you most want to join. this is an easy (if shallow) way to show them how well you'd
fit."

I couldn't disagree more. You should be yourself and if you're weird or quirky or whatever, don't lower yourself to dressing/acting a part that isn't you, in the long run you will be unhappy. Also, don't go out and spend a ton of money on clothing for rush, not only is there a chance that you might NOT be offered a bid, but accepting a bid and going through new membership process can be REALLY expensive. I'd hold off on spending money for rush clothes that you could use to pay for your sorority pin later on. The bathroom thing, if you have to go. . .GO!

Girls, this is a lifetime commitment. Join for the right reasons.

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited September 08, 2000).]

33girl
09-08-2000, 06:40 PM
Dressing for rush can be compared to dressing for a job interview. When I interviewed for my job, I wore a conservative suit. Now that I'm here, I can dress a little funkier (which is one of the things I like about my job). The advice not to wear something "weird" I don't think negates being yourself.

Example: Suzy dresses in vintage clothes 24/7. She looks infinitely better than the women who go out and blow thousands of dollars on Rodeo Drive. Does that mean Suzy should go to Ann Taylor, and get the standard sundress? No, it means wear the thing from YOUR closet that best fits the occasion. If you can carry off unique clothing with grace and style - and by age 18-19 you should know if you can - you will make a positive impression.

But if you go in wearing electric blue spandex pants (true story - we had a rushee who did) and have a "if they can't see all the wonderfulness inside me, then screw them" attitude, you will make a negative impression. That is being very passive-aggressive. There is a difference between celebrating your uniqueness, and being defensive about it and shoving it in people's faces.

As far as buying clothes for rush, remember that nowadays not everyone is a regular churchgoer, or has a lot of dressy clothes. EVERYONE should have a simple, classic dress or 2 - in a cut that is flattering to you - by the time you're in college. That way you'll be set for rush, job interview, weddings you'll be attending, etc. Don't go buy a whole new wardrobe if you don't need it, but if you have to buy things anyway, simple, classic, well made is the way to go.

sigmagrrl
09-25-2000, 03:34 PM
I just have to interject on the clothes deal. When I rushed (early 90's), let me tell you, I HAD NO CLOTHES THAT FIT OR FLATTERED ME! Why? I had just graduated from 12 years of Catholic school with NO SENSE OF STYLE! They were too small, a bit outdated, and basically EWW!!LOL But I have a personality that does shine through when I put the menial, unimportant things behind me and out of the way and relaxed. Women who are looking at your clothes are not the kind of women you may want to associate yourself with unless this is truly your personality (fashion major, "Lady who Lunches"!!). I cannot stress the GO WITH YOUR HEART AND GUT fact more!!!!!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

daisymargarita
09-26-2000, 09:49 PM
I agree sigmagrrl http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif A person should be in a sorority that accepts and loves her no matter how she dresses!

Tweety
10-05-2000, 06:58 PM
All this advice sounds really good, but I have already gone through a spring and now a fall rush, and have not been offered a bid. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif I finally am sure about which Sorority I want to be a part of, but I don't know if it's even worth it to try to get in once again. I have some friands at work who are alums of other sororities, but nobody from this one. I am currently a junior with only a 2.7 GPA. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Microbiomajor
10-11-2000, 01:04 AM
Just an idea for ladies who need reccomendations. I would suggest going to the sorority's website (pretty much all of them have a site at www.thesororitysname.org)and (http://www.thesororitysname.org)and) tell them you are very interested in their chapter and wondering if they have a local alumni association that you could contact. I'm not sure if it would work, but it is definitely worth a shot!

PenguinTrax
10-11-2000, 09:20 AM
There are links to all 26 NPC sorority websites via http://www.npcwomen.org . Not all are obvious - for example, Kappa Alpha Theta is thetahq.org, not kappaalphatheta.org.

The NPHC groups are found at http://www.nphc.org .

Other groups, such as Latina, Asian-American, Multicultural and local can most likely be found by a campus or web search engine.

Q-T Pie
10-11-2000, 03:08 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all of those who have posted the different informational websites, not only under this thread, but in general. I have learned so much esp. from the http://www.npcwomen.org link.

Thanks again

Allison

Eastcoast Sunshine
11-03-2000, 05:23 PM
This is so informative. I appreciate all of the advice.....Thank You so much http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

tyshaun
02-08-2001, 12:27 AM
QUESTION. what is C.O.B?

amycat412
02-25-2001, 04:33 PM
COB is Continuous Open Bidding.

HeidiHo
02-25-2001, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by southern_theta:
******BEFORE RUSH********************

you should choose the house that has girls who are like you right now, not one that has girls that you want to become more like.

I think this fits socially, but say, for example, you're a C average student, it would be perfectly fine to go with a "smart" house.
I have always been average, but now I'm surrounded by girls who have 3.5 GPAs. I want to do better not only because I don't want to disapoint the girls, but because I look up to my sisters. I am almost starstruck by these girls, especially the seniors. They're beautiful, active, sweet & smart! It can't do any harm to try to improve yourself.
However, wanting to be a party girl who when you know you aren't a "social butterfly" can leave you feeling isolated.
All in all- DON'T SHORT CHANGE YOURSELF! Never think that you aren't pretty/smart/social/WHATEVER enough.
Best of luck to all Rushees! Let us know how it goes!
Heidi

KappaGirl2
02-28-2001, 08:02 PM
No offense to anyone, but I think this thread is a bit...over the top. I mean, I was not stressing every night over what to wear to pref night, or any of the other parties for that matter. Just be yourself. If the girls at a certain house don't like the real you, then do you really want to be a sister there? I think it's a bit silly that people would suggest looking up info. on certain sororities that you like, or even dressing a certain way. Yes, this rush period is SOOO exciting, and if you get into the house you really wanted, you will be so happy, and it will remain with you for the rest of your life. I just don't think anyone should "change" just so they'll get a bid where they think they want to go. Hopefully anyone who plans on rushing will read this thread and take it with a grain of salt. Some of the advice is good, like being true to yourself, but don't just dress to impress---BE YOURSELF! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!

DGMomofZeta
03-01-2001, 08:52 AM
Kappa, you are right, but unfortunately our world is not perfect. I see on your profile you live in the Northeast where I don't think rush is as intense as in the South. I think Southern Theta has given top-notch rush advice all year. Of course rushees should look for the house where they will be most comfortable and not try to fit into an image. But in our world,whether business or social, we all try to fit in and are more comfortable knowing what is expected. In many of the Southern schools rush is very competitive and many girls get cut, as has been discussed in other threads. Knowing what to wear and what will happen just boosts the confidence level, no one should try to change their entire persona. I went to school in Texas but now live in California, where rush is quite relaxed. But when I sent my daughter down to Texas, she needed dressier clothes for rush. I think my knowledge of how things work there made the difference for her and she had a great rush. It doesn't mean changing your personality, I look at it as being appropriate for a group that you are interested in joining. This occurs in many situations throught life. May not be right, but that's the way it is.

carnation
03-01-2001, 10:35 AM
Dear KappaGirl,

Ideally, no one would have to change herself or dress to please or whatever during rush. In actuality, during rush at a large Southern university where you're competing for a bid with hundreds and hundreds of other girls--you have to stand out somehow, be it through your activities, gradepoint, sparkling personality, dress, or whatever! It's not that the ABCs won't like you if you don't stand out--it's just that they have a precious few days to choose a pledge class from all those rushees and they'll choose the people who shine in one way or another.

I wish it could be some other way but for now--that's pretty much it. Once you pledge, you can relax and be yourself and any good sorority will accept and celebrate you for who you are.

[This message has been edited by carnation (edited March 01, 2001).]

dzrose93
03-01-2001, 02:54 PM
I agree with carnation. I attended a Southern school, and even though it was small, competition was fierce. Knowing how to dress and being a little knowledgeable about the sororities was very helpful. Our Greek Affairs office published a Rush manual showing a brief history of each sorority, pictures of the sisters, a description of what each day of Rush would entail and what clothing was appropriate for each day. It was a big help.

AlphaChiGirl
03-02-2001, 12:22 AM
As someone who was born, bred, and groomed for Panhellenic rush in the South, I was in for a rude awakening when I did Recruitment at a liberal Ivy League university in New England! Over Christmas Break (we have Deferred Rush), I had gotten enough clothes to allow a small nation to go through Rush in style, a nice black dress for Pref...and didn't need half of it! Oh well, one can't have too many clothes! Also, my chapter told me that my Rush rec was the first one they had seen...they told me how much it impressed them! I didn't think it was so good, considering I didn't have multiple legacies or whatnot, like my friends did.

KappaGirl2
03-02-2001, 01:16 PM
dzrose,
At my school we got handed out a packet recommending what we should wear to the parties, giving a brief overview of the sororities, and just telling us a little about what would be going on at each party, too. I think that was fine, and it helped alot to calm our nerves. I just think having that long post at the beginning of this topic was a bit much, but I guess things are just different in the south.
Erin http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Earp
03-02-2001, 05:09 PM
It always amazes me how many do not put their schools on the site!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

KappaGirl2
03-02-2001, 05:40 PM
Tom,
I agree with you. It's amazing how people won't reveal where they attend school. They all seem so proud of where they go and of who they are...oh well.

Erin http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

bebe_cHiCk17
04-11-2001, 01:14 AM
okay.. i have a question.. i havent made the best grades in high school! i started out in a small town and in junior high was in NJHS and Leadership Coucil, and Volleyball.. then I had to move to a huge city for freshman year, and halfway through sophomore year i moved to another school (b/c of my 'rents divorcing), but now im like coming back up! i have pretty good grades and high SAT scores.. so will they be able to look at what i did freshman and sophomore year? i'm a junior now. just curious. I haven't been in any sports or clubs in high school either, so do they look down on that? I have coached gymnastics for 3 yrs straight! HAHA! o'kay.. i need more advice on past things that they can find out about you and also what looks good that i have time to add b/c i really really want to be in a sorority! it's just for me!

dzsweetiee
04-11-2001, 04:07 AM
Bebe, I think you really need to concentrate on HS right now....you still have 1 1/2 years to go before you start worrying about Rush. I know everyone tells you this, but it flys by so fast....just concentrate on one day at a time, and keep getting informed on Greek life and improving your HS life!

bebe_cHiCk17
04-11-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by dzsweetiee:
Bebe, I think you really need to concentrate on HS right now....you still have 1 1/2 years to go before you start worrying about Rush. I know everyone tells you this, but it flys by so fast....just concentrate on one day at a time, and keep getting informed on Greek life and improving your HS life!

o'kay.. i asked that question for a reason. just b/c im thinking about this doesn't mean it's bothering my high school life. uh! anyway, what you said didn't help me any.

bubbles17
04-11-2001, 08:26 PM
Tom and KappaGirl--

Lots of us don't put our schools on here (or location) b/c there are tons of weirdos here on the Net. You never can be too safe.

Clueless06
04-14-2001, 12:44 AM
Hi--I'm a freshman at college and I went through formal rush in the fall--I ended up not signing my pref. card and decided to wait and informal later on. Well two terms have gone by and I have done some informal activities, but the house that I am really interested in has not contacted me. I don't know if I should contact this house or not--I know alumni that could write me recs., should I have them do this for informal? Should I call the house and ask them if they are doing informal rush right now? I think that I am a really strong candidate for any house--I'm very involved, I have a 4.0, I dress well, I'm nice too! I think some of the other houses might be ready to give me bids, but I want to give this other house a shot before I accept one. I would really appreciate any advice!
Thanks!

Salience
04-18-2001, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by bebe_cHiCk17:
o'kay.. i asked that question for a reason. just b/c im thinking about this doesn't mean it's bothering my high school life. uh! anyway, what you said didn't help me any.

First, I'm not sure ANYONE here can help you with this, this seems like a highly subjective area. You have to ask those women at the college you FIRST HAVE TO APPLY TO, then SECOND must be accepted at, and THIRD ACTUALLY ATTEND. You see where we're coming from? We just mean, there are OTHER priorities BEFORE thinking about sorority life.

Now, that being said, I'll take a stab at it, I've got time to kill:

Are you talking about dirt you've done? Because if you go to a college where you're living, or nearby, then stuff gets out. If you go to a small school and people from your school end up at your college, stuff can potentially get out.

If you're just talking grades, then I think college is the time to worry about it. As far as I know, groups on the college level don't focus THAT much on high school events. This is all MY OPINION, just remember that.
So, once you GET to college, contact members and ask.

SH80
04-30-2001, 01:08 PM
My advice,
*Rush when you are a sophomore, hang out with some of the guy/girls from each sorority/fraternity and get to know them your freshman year.
*Avoid going through formal rush, some people, like me (who are quiet at first blush) may fall through the cracks.

carnation
04-30-2001, 02:30 PM
I disagree with the last post, especially if you're rushing in the South. Very often, a chapter has a limit set for sophs and upwards and even if they love you, might not be able to pledge you. See the recent posts on "reasons you might be cut from rush".

twinstars
04-30-2001, 03:30 PM
I definitely agree with carnation... if you think there's a good chance you'll want to join a sorority, rush your first year, when most other girls do. Just because you go through the rush process does not obligate you to join. If you totally hate it, you can drop out or not accept a bid.

At my collge, it is VERY difficult to get a bid as a sophomore, even if you're friends with lots of members. This year, much fewer than 10% of non-freshman rushees got bids. It just doesn't happen often. My chapter (which usually makes quota) wants new members that will be with us for all four years. We want to give the freshman a chance (the vast majority of rushees are freshman), rather than keeping them out on behalf of older girls who have had that chance before. Any "selective" sorority chapter would rather take younger girls if possible.

What carnation said is true, at least with regard to how rush/voting works in my chapter... if you're a sophomore, even if we love you, you'll probably be at the bottom of the bid list just on the basis of your age.

HeidiHo
04-30-2001, 04:35 PM
I rushed as a sophmore & I'm kicking myself for it. I've been active for 2 quarters now, & I only have 2 years left with all my wonderful sisters http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif Not to mention all the seniors who are graduating now & my big who'll graduate next spring. I'm sad that I missed a whole year with these ladies.
Just my $.02
Heidi

LeslieAGD
05-01-2001, 11:51 AM
I don't want to offend anyone since I know nothing about rushing in the south, but for people who don't live in the south a lot of this advise is, like Kappa mentioned, over the top. I go to school in Michigan and we don't do headshots or letters of recommendation. The rushees are encouraged to get to know the sisters and find a place where they feel comfortable. If they put on a facade just to get into a house and then change once they're in, they're going to be uncomfortable and their sisters are going to wonder what the heck happened. I hate when girls act one way during recruitment and then become a totally new person practically overnight, it's annoying!!! Also, I went through as a sophmore and I think that was the best way to go because I got a chance to figure out who I was and I KNEW what I could contribute. I think it's better to have girls of varying ages so you don't get too top heavy. The best advise is to just be yourself and to get to know as many girls as possible so you'll have more girls voting on you. If you don't meet the girls, you may unfortunately be dropped, not because they don't like you but, because other rushees are being fought harder for. Hope this helps!

dzrose93
05-18-2001, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
I have read so much about rush that I am nearly sick to my stomach with worry. I will be attending LSU in the fall and am considering skipping rush all together. I feel like no matter how great my resume is (and in honesty, it's pretty good) there is no way I'll get in a sorority of my choice. I don't have the family social ties and I only know a few girls in each house. I'm not a legacy to any sororities on the campus and I could go on and on with all the things I'm not. If I were going to another school, I would have confidence, I DID HAVE CONFIDENCE, until I started reading these messages. I do think the advice is very good and helpful in the majority of situations, but I feel like no matter what I do during LSU rush, it's predestined or something. I wish I didn't feel this way. Well, that's all I have to say.

DO NOT be scared away by all the advice that's been given in this thread. It's true, LSU is a very competitive school Rush-wise, but it is nothing to get upset about. Go through Rush and see what each of the houses have to offer. It won't be nearly as stressful as you think -- as long as you just be yourself! Don't sell yourself short!

And please feel free to direct any questions to me. I have a DZ sister that I talk to regularly who just graduated from LSU last year. If together we can't answer your questions about Rush, then no one can! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Good luck and keep your head up!

shadokat
05-18-2001, 05:07 PM
worried--

Enjoy the last few days as a senior while you can. This will be here when you're done HS in a few short weeks! It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row, now let your accomplishments and such speak for themselves. I'm sure not every woman who got into a sorority at LSU was a legacy or rich or had social ties. You'll be fine http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

I don't know squat about LSU, but I'm hoping for nothing but the best for you! Nobody should feel the way you sound like you're feeling about rushing a sorority.

I have read so much about rush that I am nearly sick to my stomach with worry. I will be attending LSU in the fall and am considering skipping rush all together. I feel like no matter how great my resume is (and in honesty, it's pretty good) there is no way I'll get in a sorority of my choice. I don't have the family social ties and I only know a few girls in each house. I'm not a legacy to any sororities on the campus and I could go on and on with all the things I'm not. If I were going to another school, I would have confidence, I DID HAVE CONFIDENCE, until I started reading these messages. I do think the advice is very good and helpful in the majority of situations, but I feel like no matter what I do during LSU rush, it's predestined or something. I wish I didn't feel this way. Well, that's all I have to say.

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon, Celebrating 84 years of Dedication, Pride and Excellence!

33girl
05-18-2001, 10:59 PM
Dear worried senior...

Please don't let our posts worry you too much! I'm not going to say "don't worry, you'll get in" - no one can guarantee that. But I think you'll do better if you are informed and know that LSU rush IS very competitive. It sounds like you are ready to go, so try not to stress too much.

Also, the LSU website is a wonderful source of info - including prices, etc. A lot of schools have absolutely NOTHING concrete to go on as far as Greek life is concerned.

There are several women on here who are LSU students or alums, so don't be afraid to ask them any questions you might have! GOOD LUCK!

worriedsenior
05-19-2001, 07:43 AM
Thank you for all the responses. It felt so good to just say what I was feeling. I guess in reality, everyone, well almost everyone, has these same concerns. I'm off to my summer job now, but will check back frequently. I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Makes me believe you are a group of people who really care about others. It was like going to confession! Thank you and I'll be "reading" you!

AudsLovesDG
05-19-2001, 02:04 PM
Having read some of the posts about rush, I want to tell potential rushees... JUST BE YOURSELF! I have been through both informal and formal rush as a sister and I know that if a woman asked to use our bathroom, I'd be happy to let her do so... I wouldn't think she hated my house! Additionally I agree with the "look nice" theme... but don't you want to look nice anyway? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif I can't speak for all sisters everywhere, but for me, the Greek system is about making connections and enjoying your college and life experiences with people who are fun, young, and willing to be involved in something -- be it a philanthropy, a birthday party, or a board meeting. I have a diverse sisterhood, but we are all united by our love for DG and all being sisters brings us -- a community of cool, smart, sassy sisters who are there for you if you need help studying for an exam, someone to walk with in a charity fundraiser, a fun person to go barhopping with on a Saturday night, and anything in between. Don't worry about getting your hair cut and your nails done, although I, in general, like to do both so that I feel good about myself on the outside... but make sure to feel good on the inside too... ask questions about the houses that you're rushing (What are the sisters involved with on campus?), do some research beforehand (Ask about each sorority's philanthropy -- I know I'm impressed when a rushee says 'Tell me about Service for Sight -- do you enjoy working with them?'), and have fun. Be yourself -- because if you aren't yourself, you could join the totally wrong house and not be happy. Good luck, and enjoy rush! Email me if you have any questions.

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audrey Shore
www.audreyshore.com
Delta Gamma
at Columbia University

KillarneyRose
05-19-2001, 02:41 PM
Hi Audrey! Welcome to Greek Chat. I just saw that you went to Columbia; what a great school and such a fun neighborhood! My former boyfriend was a SAMMY there back in the early '90's and some other friends were FIJIs and AXOs. A rather small but really enthusiastic greek population! Is the West End still there? How about Ollie's Noodle Shop and my very favorite restaurant of all time, Symposium??

I know this is really off the thread but what the heck its been done before! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
~@~Tracy~@~
Proud to be a Delta-Z :)

RedHotChiO
05-22-2001, 02:01 AM
When I went through rush, they took away our watches so that we couldn't check the time. They didn't want the sisters in the house to think that we were disinterested. It bothered me ALOT not know what time it was.

twinstars
05-22-2001, 02:19 PM
when i rushed our rho chi advised that we didn't wear our watches.

if i remember correctly, our chapter decided not to wear them as actives this year!

it just looks bad if one party or the other keeps glancing at her watch when they're supposed to be getting to know each other.

33girl
05-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RedHotChiO:
When I went through rush, they took away our watches so that we couldn't check the time. They didn't want the sisters in the house to think that we were disinterested. It bothered me ALOT not know what time it was.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel naked without my watch!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif

Fortunately we usually had formal rush in classrooms (not all chapters had houses, so that made it "equal") so there was a clock at the front of the room.

AXOLiz
06-19-2001, 04:16 PM
It amazes me how different rush is where I am. I go to a research university in the midwest, and the university is very focused on academics above all else. Rush here seemed insane at the time, but it is totally laid back compared to the stories I've read here! The one thing I definitely agree with is that anyone rushing should be themselves no matter what. Dressing nice is always a good idea, but who you are inside is (hopefully) more important. One of the girls in my pledge class (I did informal rush the spring before and we were involved with formal rush the next year) went to the first day of formal rush in an old t-shirt and gym shorts and was carrying a couple large bags - we offered to take them so she'd be more comfortable and she just laughed and said "That's ok, I just came from a tennis tournament and don't want everyone to think I normally look like this!" The way she laughed it off showed how cool she was, and it was nice to see that she was comfortable enough with herself to show up to formal rush in sweaty clothes (she didn't have time to change before rush) and just explained why and moved on like nothing happened. We definitely remembered her after that party.

:o) Liz

------------------

Alpha Chi Omega - Why reach for the top when you're already there?

[This message has been edited by AXOLiz (edited June 19, 2001).]

PiPhiAlum
06-19-2001, 04:30 PM
Worried Senior, Though the deadline for turning in Rush applications is close approaching. Recommendations traditionally go directly to the sorority and can be sent up until rush. I remember us receiving recs on prospective new members through the second day of rush. So do not quit looking for recs, you can never have too many. I am sorry for the unpleasant experience you have had with the local Alumnae Panhellenic group. Though you seem to have a great head on your shoulders and are taking the action needed to get what you want.

carnation
06-19-2001, 05:07 PM
This is something really weird about big-school Southern rush. All the rush booklets say not to go out and find recs, that it's the sorority's duty to get them. And I hate that! Because the truth is that at most of the schools I've attended or taught at, you need to get your own. Out-of-state rushees or girls who come from families what weren't previously Greek may have no clue and then they get cut because they don't have a rec--when they could've obtained one if they'd known!

I wish we'd just tell rushees to get their own and spare them the agony of finding out later--as many have--that ABC didn't ask them back to third round or whatever because they didn't have a rec.

PiPhiAlum
06-19-2001, 08:41 PM
Okay.. WorriedSenior...

I spoke to one of my sisters, that was a Pi Phi at LSU and USM. As did I check out the LSU Greek Affairs website.

The Panhellenic Application is not due until July 31st. As you said, they suggest that recommendations be sent in by July 1st. Recs can be sent in later, it is to your benefit to have those that are written sent to the appropriate place by July 1st. If you wish, you may email me and I will explain in more detail why.

Please do not think that the recs are not of use for you if someone does not sent it in before July 1st. So please continue to have any alumna write recs for you.

Good Luck!!!

AlphaChiGirl
06-20-2001, 12:21 AM
Reading these, I realize how lucky I am to have had the relatively positive experience rushing that I did. Our Panhellenic (who went to the local high schools--our private schools here are all unaccredited and rather shady) took care of all of our recs for us...and this is in the South! I didn't go to school in the South, so my recommendations were all in vain (but I'm sure they helped somewhat!).

Are recommendations strictly limited to alumnae? Because I know some girls with whom I have worked, who don't know alumnae, who need recs.

worriedsenior
06-20-2001, 06:33 AM
PiPhiAlum(Should say PiPhiSweetie) I can't believe you went to the trouble! You are so kind. You are the third person who has gone the "extra step" to help another. I would like to know why, so I'll send you a short note before I take off for work. Thanks!

aopirose
06-20-2001, 09:40 AM
It depends on the organization. In AOII, only alumnae members may write them.

Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:

Are recommendations strictly limited to alumnae? Because I know some girls with whom I have worked, who don't know alumnae, who need recs.

Wine&Blue
06-20-2001, 11:01 AM
PiPhiAlum(Should say PiPhiSweetie) I can't believe you went to the trouble! You are so kind. You are the third person who has gone the "extra step" to help another. I would like to know why, so I'll send you a short note before I take off for work. Thanks!

I'll tell you why. Because she's a Pi Phi!!!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

pirate
06-20-2001, 03:27 PM
Look I attend a state supported university in the north carolina system(east carolina university). I have a few questions about rush. First of all, I will be a sophomore this year when I rush. Will that severly hurt me. I tried to rush a sorority last spring but was falsely led to believe i was getting a bid but did not(This is informal so you only rush one house). I was crushed but ever since then I have longed to be in a sorority although I no longer know if they are the right house for me(I couldn't treat other girls like that). Even some of my friends in other sororities can't believe the way I was treated. I wanted to do formal fall rush but I am on a full merit scholarship and so my parents wanted me to wait and adjust to college life first. They both support my decision to rush especially my dad( a fraternity member himself). However, after a full year of college and a cumulative 4.0 I am ready if they will only accept me. Also, we only have one brief form to fill out and there is no mention of recs. I live in a small town and don't know anyone who can give me a rec. Will I be cut because of this? Finally, there is no suggestion of how to dress for rush for any of the 5 days. I would appreciate any advice you could offer me.

PenguinTrax
06-20-2001, 04:00 PM
Pirate,

A 4.0 GPA will make you very desirable as a potential member. The sophomore standing shouldn't hurt you.

It's odd that during informal you could only go to one sorority. Was that because only one chapter was eligible to take new members or is there some campus rule about that?

Usually when you sign up for Recruitment, they will send you a letter/packet with suggested dress, etc.

I looked at the ECU Greek site and they have quite a bit of information, including the registration form for Recruitment. If you haven't already done so, visit:
http://www.ecu.edu/studentlife/greek/

I know there is a KD from ECU on these boards, I'll see if I can find her and ask her to reply.

I don't know how important letters of reference are at ECU. Again, according to NPC agreements, it is not the responsibility of the potential member to secure letters of reference. If you Dad is Greek, maybe the wives of some of his brothers were Greek and can write a letter for you.

Barbara

LexiKD
06-20-2001, 10:58 PM
OK, Pirate, let me say that I am sorry about the bad situation you found yourself in, life is crazy sometimes. Just remeber that about that chapter and don't be scared of them during Fall Recruiment!

Well, ECU is a small but serious Recruitment. We have 9 NPC groups and about 150-200 Potential New Members. EVERY chapter has a distinct personality. Your year in school will not hinder you, if you were a Junior I would say different, but you have another 3-4 years to give to the chapter! Many PNMs will be in their second year.

You will have a Recruitment book in the mail after to register, it will have details about attire. I would get a reference, if possible, I think it is always a good thing! If you are intrested in a certain NPC group you may be able to contact their HQ and see if they have a rec chair in your city...you can run some names by her and see if any of your family friends are in that group and you didn't know. Or just ask around your parents friends, they may know someone.

Clothes will be mainly smart casual, but you will see the whole spectrum, from last years prom dress to jeans! But I would do cute capris/sweater set...do classic,polished,and trendy. I wouldn't do "going out clothes".
Skit day will involve sitting, wear capris or a long skirt, they don't need that much about you! PREF will require a nice dress, like church attire...think cool and comfy, it will be hot!

I wish you luck, BUT be sure not to be discouraged if you ask a present member of a chapter, they will be tight lipped, they are not supposed to talk recruitment with a PNM, but I'm an alumnae...hehehe, that's another perk of graduating!

Check out the Panhellenic Webpage, email Cole the Recruiment director, she has all the info you need~ALSO, Oreintation has a whole GREEK Presentation, go to it!

I will be at Recruitment, find me after Bid Day! GOOD LUCK!

------------------
Lexi

[This message has been edited by ecukd (edited June 21, 2001).]

PiPhiAlum
06-20-2001, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Wine&Blue:
I'll tell you why. Because she's a Pi Phi!!!! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Thank you Wine&Blue http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif

SLOTheta
06-23-2001, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by pirate:
I have a few questions about rush. First of all, I will be a sophomore this year when I rush. Will that severly hurt me. I tried to rush a sorority last spring but was falsely led to believe i was getting a bid but did not(This is informal so you only rush one house). I was crushed but ever since then I have longed to be in a sorority although I no longer know if they are the right house for me(I couldn't treat other girls like that). Even some of my friends in other sororities can't believe the way I was treated. I wanted to do formal fall rush but I am on a full merit scholarship and so my parents wanted me to wait and adjust to college life first. They both support my decision to rush especially my dad( a fraternity member himself). However, after a full year of college and a cumulative 4.0 I am ready if they will only accept me. Also, we only have one brief form to fill out and there is no mention of recs. I live in a small town and don't know anyone who can give me a rec. Will I be cut because of this? Finally, there is no suggestion of how to dress for rush for any of the 5 days. I would appreciate any advice you could offer me.

I know what you are going through. I went through an informal rush, and was led to believe I was going ot get a bid, but out of 60 girls who rushed, and 16 preffed, I was one of those, only 5 got bids, I was very hurt...I came back for Formal Rush the following year, and realized that that house wasn't the house for me, and joined Theta. I couldn't have made a better choice. It's never too late too rush, if a house wants you, they want you for who YOU are, and if they want the young girls only because they can pay longer, you don't want to be a part of their house.

As for clothing, I would wear skirts with twin sets, or simple dresses. It's always better to look classic and stylish.

Good Luck!
If you have any questions, please e-mail me: nbui@calpoly.edu I know what you are going through! =)

magnoliagrl
06-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Pirate,

I read your post and about fell over because you sound just like me!! I am going to be a soph transfer at UNC-Chapel Hill and I also went through rush last year, but had a negative experience. The academic thing also sounds like me, but I only had a 3.8 last year compared to your 4.0..haha! Way to go! My parents will probably go nuts if I tell them I am thinking of going through rush again because it really wore me down last year. I was reading the UNC Greek site and they don't really go into detail about attire either, but I guess I have to actually make the choice of whether to go through it..ughh..

I would love to hear what you decide to do this fall!

AlphaSigLana
06-27-2001, 12:03 AM
I wish i would have known this before rush last fall. It would have helped me a lot. A few times I wore jeans- we were allowed to because we were going to do a lot of walking. But it is hard to afford name brand stuff- no I don't shop at K-Mart, but I do pay for all my own stuff. In God's eyes it doesn't matter what we wear. Our clothes are just a facade.

Zimagirl00
07-15-2001, 11:23 PM
I have a bit of advice for rushees...If you know that you do not want to be in a certain that is okay...you know that they are not for you and thats cool and all...but please continue to be nice and converse with the girls that are rushing you....we are just as nervous, TRUST ME! Some rushees just blow off rushers and are like whatever..I wanna be XYZ and I that is all I want and...they are just plain rude..you don't have to blow off other houses just because you are afraid of getting a bid..if you keep getting asked back to houses...be proud cause alot of girls see a future sister in you...I got called back to the maximum # of houses each day and I went in to each house and acted the same....everyone deserves respect and a fair shot...Good Luck to everyone! AOII Georgia Southern University

------------------
IF I PAID FOR MY FRIENDS, I DID NOT PAY ENOUGH

ilovemyglo
07-16-2001, 01:30 PM
I agree with Zima Girl. A girl came to our preference party and was so rude to one of my sisters. It was so inappropriate. She said "I know I am going to be an XYZ, so please don't put on your bid list, I just had to go to another party." I mean that was uncalled for. Bid day came and she didn't get into XYZ and since she was so rude to my sister we didn't even invite her to our informal rush later. Don't think it can't come back on you. Also don't talk about XYZ. I may have some close friends in there that i may tell what you say. Don't parade around and tell everyone you know you are getting a bid from XYZ because they may get a phone call telling them what you say. I hate when a girl assumes we are extending her a bid. Don't expect it unless you have it in your hands. Not to sound harsh but ithappens every year.. there is a rushee that just ruins rush for us because she won't let us have fun!!!

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."

wishinhopin
07-26-2001, 01:51 AM
Ok girls, a couple questions I need some help with! One, the rush at my school is also super informal. I rushed second semester in my frosh year and didn't get into the only house that really mattered to me, and I was crushed. Is it totally lame to rush again? I know that this house is the right place for me, but I think I just didn't get enough time to display that. One of the girls I talked to told me that not enough of the sisters felt like they had gotten to know me well enough. The thing is, there's no formal process where the girls come around and meet you. You're just sorta expected to go through at each event and introduce yourself to everyone and make them know you. And I don't even know what a Rho Chi is, so I don't think I have one that I can go to for help! I'm totally freakin about this entire process. Any suggestions or thoughts?

AXOprincess
07-26-2001, 08:46 PM
wish,

Ok where do you go to school? i know I ask this in when ever I try to reply, only so if there is someone at the school, who can help. I had a problem sort of like this. I knew i wanted to rush, but I have a problem. I am super shy until i get to meet people. Then you cant shut me up, i will keep talking. the first set i kept telling the girls was that. I did get invited back to the next night and i felt really comfortable with the girls i was with. I was my self, and i might not of met all the girls but those i did i tried to make a strong impression. Just be your self. If you see an active during a rush party and you havent met her yet, turn around and say i dont believe i have met you yet, im ___. this will show that girl that you are outgoing. If you dont get to meet all the girls you will have made a strong impression on those that you have.

i believe everything happens for a reason. i always thought i would join my moms house, but i didnt. It wasnt for me. i thought i so belong here and will fit in great. even though some of the girls in the house are my friends it turns out it was for the best. i love my house now and feel that i wouldnt have beed perfect for the other house, im perfect for this one.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Smiles,
M

Liv4ChiO
07-31-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by wishinhopin:
Ok girls, a couple questions I need some help with! One, the rush at my school is also super informal. I rushed second semester in my frosh year and didn't get into the only house that really mattered to me, and I was crushed. Is it totally lame to rush again? I know that this house is the right place for me, but I think I just didn't get enough time to display that. One of the girls I talked to told me that not enough of the sisters felt like they had gotten to know me well enough. The thing is, there's no formal process where the girls come around and meet you. You're just sorta expected to go through at each event and introduce yourself to everyone and make them know you. And I don't even know what a Rho Chi is, so I don't think I have one that I can go to for help! I'm totally freakin about this entire process. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Okay, first of all, are you sure? If you definitely want to join this house, then it's time for some major campaigning. I'm going to assume you're not in the South, from the tone of your post, so if you are, this might not be all that relevant.

First, no it's not lame to rush again. If you want to be in that house, then go for it. Especially if the reason they cut you is that they didn't know you well enough. This means that
a)they don't have a reason (at least they're not saying) to DISlike you
b)they were probably interested in getting to know you

Now, things to do to prepare. When is your rush? If it's in the fall, then some of these ideas might not work.

First, get to know the girls outside of the house. Find out where they hang out, which frat they mix with, what their philanthropy is, etc. Then participate in these things. Yes, this is shallow and a little dirty, but sometimes that's what it takes. Meet them (don't make it obvious your thinking of rushing again), and try to befriend a couple. If you can, somehow mention your concern about rush, meeting people during parties, etc. They will probably offer to take you around. If not, at least you have a couple people who you know already at the house. Meet their frat. Get them to drop hints "oh i just met rhonda rushee and she likes your house, and she's cool etc etc". Get involved w/ their philanthropy. This gives you an opportunity to meet them outside of rush.

DURING PARTIES

talk to a certain number of girls a night. The more people you make a good impression on, the more people you'll have pulling for you during selection.
Talk a few of the same girls every night. If they're saying they don't know you well enough, make sure they do. Try and remember what you talked about already, and move on. Remeber their names, and talk about the other girls in the house "well, i was just talking to jenny about this yesterday and..."
Sit somewhere accessible. This sounds weird, but if you're stuck in the corner of the room, fewer people will come and talk to you. Walk around if your not talking to anyone and sit with a large group.

And relax. They'll realize that you're rushing a second time, and that your interested in them.

good luck! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

Oh, and a Rho Chi (PX) is a rush counsellor, someone who leads you through formal rush etc. If yours is informal, they might not have them.

------------------
Travelling with no boundaries, moving in imaginary.

wishinhopin
07-31-2001, 06:43 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for the helpful advice. I think I just needed someone with some authority on the subject to let me know that I could do it. I will definitely keep people posted about how things go!

carnation
06-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Bump!

ROWDYsister
06-28-2002, 06:06 PM
Just a little comment on the small uproar over whether to look for girls that are just like you or girls that you aspire to be like...you can look for both! Ever notice that you have a lot in common with your best friends but you also admire many things about them? That's why they're your best friends!

The issue should be not be about thinking about which sorority to join and which letters to wear, but WHO YOU WANT AS YOUR SISTERS. You're going to be spending a lot of time with them, and after your college years you're still going to have this unbreakable bond with them for the rest of your life.

Ideally, when you are deciding how to rank your choices on your bid card, there will be that house where you just clicked with the girls and want to be a part of their world. They are the girls you can see yourself having fun with, trusting with your innermost secrets, learning something from, leaning on for support, and who you feel can best help you achieve your goals in college and in life and help you become the person you want to be.

You know how you say sometimes, "I love my relatives, but I didn't pick them?" Now you are given the opportunity to choose your sisters! This is the time to put on your brightest smile and when everything is said and done, hopefully you'll all be smiling together on Bid Day!

justamom
06-29-2002, 08:41 AM
I like what ROWDYsister said-a lot of truth in her post.

Some may not agree with this and some points weigh more heavily depending on your particular campus.

I know many will say that stereotypes don't exist but honestly, every sorority has a mix of every stereotype. Each group has the brains, the fluff, the sweetie the gripey one you know what I mean. No sorority is comprised of 100% "Miss Congenialities" because very few people can live up to that perfection. It boils down to the proportions. Considering this, the proportion, realize one thing. On paper (your resume') you may be the perfect match for all the sororities, but if you weren't comfortable with a particular image or group association in the past, don't assume you will suddenly change because you hit college. I am not advocating a closed mind, nor am I saying you shouldn't strive for your dream, not at all. I am reiterating what many wise voices have stated in the past. Be yourself. Polish up, and present your BEST self (everyone compares it to a job interview wich is very true) You can "talk the talk and walk the walk", but remember if you "create" an image that is uncomfortable to you or one against your nature, you may be very disappointed in the end. One last point-many actives have said that the sorority often knows better than you where you will be comfortable and grow as an individual. This may be one of the most universally true statements ever made about rush.

edited-I remembered one more thing. At LSU under Greek Affairs, you can look up chapter assessments. This is a critique of the strengths and weaknesses of the chapters. Some will say things like "unclear records of volunteer hours" or "need more campus offices" "exemplory grade point" This can tell you one of two things. Either they will be looking for people with the qualities that fall short or it isn't a priority. You can make your own judgement once you get a feel for the houses.

ChiOqt
06-29-2002, 10:48 AM
Southern Theta: what an awesome post. I know if someone had told me all this when I rushed, it would have helped alot.
To the rushees: Just relax and be yourself. Have fun during rush meeting not only the women in the sororities, but the girls that you're rushing with as well. Don't be nervous, trust me, the girls rushing you are just as nervous the first time around!! Smile and ask questions. This could be your potential new house, and you want to get any questions that you have out there!!:D

nauadpi
06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
People seem to have covered both ends of the spectrum, those schools where rush is very competitive and those where it isnt. I know for a fact though, where I go to school it is a little of both. For the fact I go to Northern Arizona University.

Formal recruitment is the week before classes start in the fall. Now for the Registration we do not want head shots, and you do not have to have formal recomendations written out. The form though does ask for names of two people who could be your recomendations. The fact is though, that I know my chapter looks very specifically at girls whom we get formal letters sent to us. Those girls do stand out a lot, and those leters usually do come with head shots.

Also, many people have been mentioning that going to the bathroom during a rush party shows lack of interest. I know at NAU this can be very true, because our parties arent very long, and they take place in our chapter rooms (all sororities and most of the fraternities live in one dorm).

As for dress, you are given a list of the types of clothes to wear to each party. I know personally I notice people who dress to impress or dress in their own style. Many times this is great, but I also know that I have seen some girls who wear outfits that look more like they are going out clubing then to an interview.

One last thing I want to add is ask questions. Ask about the philanthropies, socials, sisterhood, and scholarship. I know these are all important things. I know I have been scholarship chair in the past, and being able to tell girls about the scholarships we offer, and the help in the grades area makes a big difference. I also know that the way I approach talking to a girl is based on what part of sorority life she is interested in. So remember to ASK QUESTIONS.

The big thing is that if you are going through recruitment at a school like mine, I would say that no it doesnt matter if you are a freshman or not. I know some chapters on this campus really only look for freshman, but I also know that many dont.

And as everyone else has said, be yourself.

maggieaxid
07-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Here are just a few other things that I told my rho chi group:

smile, smile, smile...don't fake it though. But a good smile and a nice laugh can always get you places.

be sincere and classy. answer their questions as best you can, ask your questions, but don't give obnoxious or really bad answers. (ie....anything that begins with "when i was drunk...", "i was soo drunk....," "i was so fu***d up last night", and "my boyfriend....") also, please don't ask dumb questions like "If you were a animal, what kind of animal would you be?"...this just makes you look like you aren't there to learn anything about the organization....and yes, this does happen!

totally accept food and or drink....but like southern_theta said, be careful of what it is and how sticky and gross it can be. if they have vegitables, fruit, or cheese and crakers...i'd stick with them. and becareful of colored drinks...if thats what the org has, accept it, but don't drink to much. it can turn your mouth different colors.

never ever say to any sorority woman that you don't want to be in their house or you seemed bothered by being there. remember, they know people in other organizations too!

ROWDYsister
07-01-2002, 01:53 PM
At my school, the rushee's purse and booklet are taken from them and carried by the girl they're talking to, so I suggest taking the glass of water they offer you just so you have something to do with your hands when you're walking around.

Also, try your darned best and don't tent talk...that is, discussing with your rush group who you like and who you don't. Even if the girl sitting next to you seems really nice, you could be talking smack about her older sister's or best friend's house for all you know. Plus, the Rho Chis are listening...

maggieaxid
07-01-2002, 02:09 PM
oh, and i totally forgot one more thing...if you smoke, don't smoke in between parties! esp. if its hot out, the smoky smell will stick to you and its a total turnoff!

MiamiKK
07-01-2002, 09:54 PM
I don't know if rush is different at our school because it is "no frills" and defered, plus we don't have houses, but it has become very casual. Our first round is jeans, so we get some fun outfits... I would say where something that makes you stand out.. we had one rushee with these very unique jeans, and the rest of rush we refered to her as "sequened jeans girl." Try to stand out, but not be obnoxious. Also don't always take what an active says to you to heart. "I" statements are perfectly acceptable... such as "I hope to see you on bid day" but that may not be the sentiment of the whole chapter.

I think it is very important to keep a low profile before rush. If something bad happens, even if it is not between an active in a sorority, it can hurt. Big schools become suddenly very small durring rush

FuzzieAlum
07-02-2002, 12:19 PM
We were always told that you could not even say "I hope to see you again" to a rushee, because that could be construed as promising a bid. Personally, I think that's taking too far, but I just want to point out that those are the rules at some campuses. So just cause a sister _doesn't_ say something like that to you doesn't mean they don't want you!

justamom
07-02-2002, 01:15 PM
I know this has been said before, but it came up fresh last night.

Never tell an active you are going XYZ because it may come back and bite you on your proverbial arse!

Legacies cut and get cut for many different reasons.

Of 30+ girls my daughter knows who said what about which sororities. Even though she may really like some of these young ladies, do you think she will stand up for one who has already defined herself as a future member of XYZ? Be very careful of what you say. You may not feel comfortable in the same chapter
that Mom, Granny and Aunt Betty were in, or as happens, so MANY legacies go through, some hard decisions must be made.

I can't stress this enough-keep your mind open and your mouth closed.

Competative Rush-During the week, warn "Mom" to be warry of any phone calls out of the blue to see how it's going, who you like and don't like... Yes, it does and DID happen.

AOIIalum
04-23-2003, 10:54 AM
BUMPING the thread for everyone's reference!

McCall4544
04-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Okay...I'm going to be going through Rush in August (I guess I should add it'll be in the South)....What is up with the posters? Making elaborate, eye-catching posters are just about as big of a deal here as recs are!! Can someone please help me figure out WHAT to put on them and how just elaborate they need to be. How many do I need to make for each house? Golly...anything would help!!!

Thanks to any replies, :D

McCall (from Arkansas)

justamom
04-23-2003, 07:34 PM
McCall4544 I've never heard of a PNM making a poster!
WOW! I HAVE heard of "in house" posters that actives make for girls they want to be noticed. My niece's sorority did this at A&M.

Anyone else hear of this? I'm kind of shocked it never came up on GC!

McCall4544
04-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Well, I guess what it is, is maybe you ask a member to put the posters up in the house? But I do know that a lot of my friends that are in sororities are urging me to START NOW! And I'm lost basically....

33girl
04-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Couldn't this poster thing be considered dirty rushing?? I mean, theoretically the chapters are responsible for getting recs on the girls...how could they obligate them to do anything else?

McCall4544
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
they don't necassarily obligate girls to do this but there is SUCH competition that I'm just GUESSING but maybe it's just something else to set them apart? I don't know but it confuses me severely! :rolleyes:

ztawinthropgirl
04-23-2003, 09:26 PM
ALSO do not, do NOT, tell the sisters that because you are a legacy that you EXPECT a bid from XYZ sorority. We had a girl say that and that if she happened by chance NOT to get a bid from us that she and her parents would sue us as a chapter and nationally. Act as if you are just like any of the other girls, because in theory that's what you are: just another PNM with a recommendation.

carnation
04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Yuk! Did you bid her?

carnation
04-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by McCall4544
they don't necassarily obligate girls to do this but there is SUCH competition that I'm just GUESSING but maybe it's just something else to set them apart? I don't know but it confuses me severely! :rolleyes:

McCall, where are you going to go to school? Surely not UAF?:confused:

ztawinthropgirl
04-23-2003, 10:41 PM
No we didn't pledge her not only because of that but for other reasons too that I can't discuss. And, guess what? Our chapter nor our nationals have been sued! What a surprise? hehehe

Angels&Arrows
04-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Justamom, We did in house posters, also! If you LOVED a girl... you would make posters with her name, picture and information and put them throughout the two floors, bathrooms and kitchen!

McCall4544
04-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I have another question about those posters...Is it good to get girls to put posters up of you that they make even if that particular sorority isn't the one you REALLY want to be in? I have friends in sororities that have made posters for me for Rush but I don't particularly want to be in those sororities...haha...can you tell this poster thing is really stressin me out??!

UF56
04-24-2003, 02:56 AM
at UF the posters are made for those who they call "rush babies" it means girks in the house really want you....but its okay to have them in other houses even if you dont want them because you may come to a different realization during rush and change your mind. Also if you dont like them you can always drop them.

carnation
04-24-2003, 06:55 AM
As members, we did posters for our favorites ourselves but I have never heard of a prospective new member putting up a poster about herself. In the South, if a PNM did that and no other PNMs were doing it, I'd bet it would hurt her badly.

ToBeSororityGrl
04-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by UF56
at UF the posters are made for those who they call "rush babies" it means girks in the house really want you....but its okay to have them in other houses even if you dont want them because you may come to a different realization during rush and change your mind. Also if you dont like them you can always drop them.

UF, when you rushed did you ever walk into a house with those posters? Did you have one? If not, did you feel like you didn't belong?

To me the poster thing seems like a ewww we don't want you because we didn't put you on our wall or something. I guess I'd just be dissapointed like the other non=walled girls, ha

33girl
04-24-2003, 10:35 AM
I think the posters are in a non-public area of the house. At least I hope so!

I have heard of sorority members making posters for the legacies and the rushees they like so they know them, but McCall's instance sounded like the rushees themselves were expected to make the posters, which didn't sound right to me.

UF56
04-24-2003, 11:11 AM
the pnms arent supposed to know if they have posters and they are never out where the pnms can see them.

Angels&Arrows
04-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I have never seen them out in the open... The PNMs should not know about them... And in a house of 100-200 sisters, with 300-1,000 rushees, it is hard to remember everyone. As a member, you do not get to talk to every PNM throughout rush. It is a way for members to remember rushees that their sisters have a special bond with... be it a legacy (in house or out), a sister's next door neighbor, or a best friend since 1st grade. It is not meant to hurt anyone. As a member during rush workshop you see pictures and bios of everyone going through recruitment. However, as I mentioned before, it is almost impossible to remember everyone going through!

As, carnation stated, I have never heard of a prospective new member putting up a poster about herself and my guess is that it would hurt that PNM.

ilovemyglo
04-24-2003, 12:13 PM
On the poster note........... in the same idea anyway-

When you send in your picture PLEASE PLEASE do not send in your modeling portfolio with you in twelve shots. A recent picture is good enoug, not a poloroid of you at your boyfriends, either.

Trust me, the girls that send in 6 8'x10' glossies are asking for us to joke on you (every house a story about a girl with feathers in their pics, too!)

CutiePie2000
04-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
Trust me, the girls that send in 6 8'x10' glossies are asking for us to joke on you (every house a story about a girl with feathers in their pics, too!)

What do you mean by "feathers" in their pics? Do mean those cheesy "Glamour Shots"? LOL

justamom
04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
The Moms before me told her to send in two photos, one was the "studio shot" like your nice, formal setting graduation pic. They suggested another candid shot too because MANY girls look NOTHING like their studio pictures. I think every single girl from here sends in two photos. It was also mentioned she should wear red in her pictures "Because it's so flatering"...she wore turquoise!

becljohn
05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Rushees, please remember that even though you might not like a group at first, your opinion might change through out rush. Be a lady and try not to offend that particular group with comments that you make. like "Well, I think that I belong else where." and so on. Just because you like one group does not mean that you will get a bid from that particular group. And your comments might come to bite you later.

MSKKG
05-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Well said, becljohn!

MoxieGrrl
05-02-2003, 02:39 PM
ilovemyglo: I have one of those "feather" shots. Swear to goodness, I'll send it to you. Give it to your Panhell, so they can include it in the freshman rush packet as a "what not to do". :)

MTSUGURL
06-08-2003, 08:41 PM
*bump*

SigkapAlumWSU
06-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I have seen some people say that asking to use the bathroom shows disinterest, but I beg to differ. At my school, we do 14 parties in one day. The day is long and hot in August, and some girls forget that if you take a drink at every party, eventually you will have to use the bathroom. It usually happens towads the end of thae day, say the 9th or 11th party or so, and everyone completely understands! Maybe keep in mind that you don't have to take a drink at every party, and if you do, maybe sip instead of drinking the whole thing. Just a thought. But like I said, I think that Recruitment is different everywhere, so it'll really depend on your school.

smiley21
07-21-2004, 11:26 PM
bump:D

Schmeer
07-22-2004, 10:46 AM
On the bathroom issue . . .

if a girl's gotta go, a girl's gotta go!

i think during rush you really do have to be yourself - if you "act" throughout the entire process, you'll only be cheating yourself by ending up in a house that doesn't have the same interests/likes as you do. so many freshman girls come into college the first week and try to figure out the "stereotypes" of each sorority and make pre-decisions before they've even met the sisters!

what do you guys think? does that happen at your school too?

pinkniki50
07-22-2004, 11:02 AM
It's an epidemic at my school! I was completely green about the sororities at my school but within the first two days of rush, I had already decided which houses I didn't want to be a part of because I listened to the other girls in my rush group talking about the house stereotypes. Listening to that really hurt me because I didn't give the house I eventually ended up in a chance (I went through Formal Rush again). The girls know when you think you're "too good" for them. Don't make that mistake! I missed out on an entire year of my sisterhood because I listened to what other girls were saying about the houses. I know it's scary and recruitment is difficult but be true to yourself. If you are, there is a much better chance you will be smiling instead of crying on Bid Day.

jharb
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by carnation
Ohhhh yeah. When I was advising at State, 99% of the rushees wore dark graduation robes or drapes in their rush photos. However--this one girl wore a pink feather boa. The Panhellenic reps who processed the pictures for all the sororities started referring to her as "Bubbles" and it got to the sororities. I always wondered if someone ever told her after rush.

We've had lots of interesting pictures come through. One girl was surrounded by bandanas, also if you send in one with a big funky border on the picture it usually stands out, but not always in a good way. Pick a picture that is sedate, I had a simple black and white photo and those are the ones that stand out usually as classy girls. Some of the wild pictures are amusing to us, but who wants to be known as "feather girl" or "bandana girl"?

I know this sounds superficial, but when you're trying to get to know 200-300 girls it can be tough to tell them apart!

Schmeer
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by pinkniki50
If you are, there is a much better chance you will be smiling instead of crying on Bid Day.

It's amazing how many girls cry on bid day, don't you think? i think at least 30% of the new pledges were crying my sophomore year because they were so upset. i hate that it becomes so traumatic for girls.

adpiucf
07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
My advice:

Call the Greek Life office at your school and ask them about the expenses of being in a sorority. Also, ask them about the recommended attire during recruitment.

I'm all for expressing yourself, but when you join a sorority, you are joining a group to "fit into," and not to "stick out." What should stick out during recruitment is your personality and your accomplishments.

If you are one of those people who wears black nail polish and sports a green mohawk, you might not like sorority life, as there is a sense of conformity. Not being a clone, but being part of that group's "corporate culture" and identity. Just as you might put on a suit for an interview, and wear the micro-mini dress out at night, think of sorority recruitment as a weeklong interview. Dress the part, and discern the personalities you will encounter.

adpiucf
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
bump

dgdramadawg
09-15-2004, 04:11 PM
In response to Justamom's post from a while back, please DO tell your mother to be wary of phone calls to check up on your rush progress. The women who might have been your recs at that point may be asking for info that will get back to their chapters. Your mom should always tell them that you are enjoying rush and all of the houses, and can even add that you really love XYZ house that the woman or her relative is in. However, I have seen several girls be dropped because their moms shared which houses the girls were invited back to or that they had their hearts set on ABC house.

Also, as a woman who went through rush at UGA (which had 18 chapters and typically rushes 1200-1300 girls a year), I strongly urge women going through to make fashion decisions based upon what they like, what fits well, and what fits the event. I remember meeting a girl at rush one year who seemed very uncomfortable in her unflattering outfit... she confided that her mom and sister had picked it out for her. I recommend a cute sundress or skirt and shirt combo for the first couple of rounds, a dress that's long enough to sit in for skits, and a black cocktail dress for prefs. There are always exceptions (a girl in my Rho Chi group freshman year wore jeans and a very dressy top with heels and got invited back to her top 12 the 2nd round), but it is generally the best bet to dress in line with Panhellenic suggestions... why be the girl who wore the skin-tight lime-green pants and the too-tight top when you can be the girl with the talent in ______ and the great sense of humor?

If you dress in a way that distracts the sister, all she'll remember is your outfit. If you dress in a classy way that accentuates your positives, she'll remember YOU.

Southern Theta has given some GREAT advice here!

KSUViolet06
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by dgdramadawg

If you dress in a way that distracts the sister, all she'll remember is your outfit. If you dress in a classy way that accentuates your positives, she'll remember YOU.

SERIOUSLY. You don't know how distracting a LIME GREEN tube dress on PHILANTHROPY (very casual-shorts/jeans and tees) DAY really is.

dgdramadawg
09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by JocelynC
SERIOUSLY. You don't know how distracting a LIME GREEN tube dress on PHILANTHROPY (very casual-shorts/jeans and tees) DAY really is.

Oh my GOD.

KSUViolet06
01-07-2005, 10:53 PM
*bumping for our spring PNM's doing formal rush*

CarolinaDG
01-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I can't reitterate the "dress up more than what they tell you" thing. At USC when I was going through, the pictures that they gave us had a picture of a girl wearing khaki shorts and a white blouse the first day. I ended up wearing a J. Crew sundress, and trust me I fit in FINE. Most of what I saw on the other side were either sundresses or a very dressy pair of capris. If you know someone who has already gone through at your school, I'd ask them what to wear. If someone had shown up in what this picture was, they would NOT have fit in. I think they (Panhellenic) were trying to encourage dressing down on the first day, but hardly anyone did so.

LauGh A Lot
01-08-2005, 06:01 PM
i was wondering what size the pictures need to be that we send to each house?

_Lisa_
01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by LauGh A Lot
i was wondering what size the pictures need to be that we send to each house?

Wallet size photographs I'm sure will be fine.

FSUZeta
01-08-2005, 07:58 PM
no glamour shots(feathered boas, big hair and lots of make up). a simple head shot that really looks like you.

carnation
01-08-2005, 08:05 PM
omg. When I was asst PH advisor at Mississipppi State, 99% of the PNMs used their graduation pictures. Then there was this girl who had a picture made with a pink feather boa- and bubbles in the background. She, of course, was immediately christened "Bubbles" by all the sororities before rush even started.

You want to stand out but not in a dorky way.

FSUZeta
01-08-2005, 08:28 PM
my post was inspired from the memory of your original post about bubbles many moons ago. i wish you had swipped the photo so we could all see her!!

ADPi Conniebama
01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
DON'T SUICIDE> If there are 20 sororities or 4, I am sure there is more then one group of girls that you get along with. You of course will put your first and second choices on your bid list but don't forget your third and forth.

More then likely you will get what you think you will get (unless there is alot of dirty rushing going on) but if there is a close second or a distant third and you don't write anything down but one sorority, believe me, you are setting your self up for potential disappointment. (as recruitment advisor I have seen some pretty upset girls who did not receive a bid at all due to suicide bids)

You will be more unhappy with no bid and you (I am 99% sure) will get along quite well with your 2nd or 3rd choice because obviously they saw something in you that makes them know you would fit in there. (and don't forget they have been through this before.)

HAVE FUN MEETING NEW PEOPLE!

dphies00
01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Use common sense: remember the weather! If its raining out, remember to wear shoes that will be fine walking in the puddles. Don't spend two hours straightening your hair if its 100% humidity. If its freezing, wear your warmest coat and figure out a hairstyle that can work with a hat! The sororities figure you might bring a coat and will be able to put it somewhere.

texas*princess
01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
This has probably already been mentioned, but ---

It's great to look at all the sororities' websites prior to recruitment... it's a nice little PR tool to see what the chapters do.. what their symbols are, etc...... however, do not sign the guestbooks with "I can't wait to join your chapter" or "I really like what I see here and I want to join when I go to your school in Fall XX". As flattering as it is, people (even from other sororities) can potentially see it and it might work against you if you signed every house's guestbook that way.. or if you only did some.. or whatever.. ya'll get my point ;)

CutiePie2000
01-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Bumping because it's an oldie but a goodie.

Dee34
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I haven't gone through rush yet, but I do know that a lot of times girls will buy a smaller size than they really are because they don't want anyone to know that they're bigger. Wearing smaller sizes that don't fit makes you look bigger. You will be hanging over your pants/ skirt, and falling out of your top. If you buy the correct size for your body type, you will look slimmer even if you are say a size 10.

KatieKD
01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dee34
I haven't gone through rush yet, but I do know that a lot of times girls will buy a smaller size than they really are because they don't want anyone to know that they're bigger. Wearing smaller sizes that don't fit makes you look bigger. You will be hanging over your pants/ skirt, and falling out of your top. If you buy the correct size for your body type, you will look slimmer even if you are say a size 10.

OH I couldn't agree more with this! And don't wear excessive makeup - usually it just looks fake and it's a total turnoff! Mascara, concealer if needed, and natural looking lip color should do enough on their own.

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again, your attitude is of vital importance, so present yourself in the most positive light you can. :)

valkyrie
01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Dee34

LOLWTF. Is there a size-checker at the door of each house? How on earth would anybody know what size you're wearing?

Southern_Grace
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by valkyrie
LOLWTF. Is there a size-checker at the door of each house? How on earth would anybody know what size you're wearing?

May I ask what school you joined your sorority?

The pressures for young women are always "difficult" but each campus is different.

We only want to make sure that they don't make these mistakes going in :)

valkyrie
01-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Southern_Grace
May I ask what school you joined your sorority?

The pressures for young women are always "difficult" but each campus is different.

We only want to make sure that they don't make these mistakes going in :)

What? Are you saying that there are schools where, during rush, sorority members will peer into rushees' clothing to check the label to see what sizes they are wearing?

Southern_Grace
01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
What? Are you saying that there are schools where, during rush, sorority members will peer into rushees' clothing to check the label to see what sizes they are wearing?

I am not saying that at all I am saying we are offering rushees advice and that certain schools do place more emphasis on looks.

Where you joined your sisterhood may be different from the way things are done elsewhere...

KatieKD
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I think what she's looking for is "did you go to a school with a competitive rush system?" so if you don't want to disclose your school, fine, but I think it's an interesting point to make.

I'm gonna step down from my soapbox now :)

valkyrie
01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by KatieKD
I think what she's looking for is "did you go to a school with a competitive rush system?" so if you don't want to disclose your school, fine, but I think it's an interesting point to make.

I'm gonna step down from my soapbox now :)

It's an interesting point how?

Listen, I was responding to this comment:

a lot of times girls will buy a smaller size than they really are because they don't want anyone to know that they're bigger

I'm saying that in the rush context, that is ridiculous because unless you went to some jacked up school, no sorority member rushing you could possibly know what size clothing you are wearing.

Southern_Grace
01-09-2006, 03:40 PM

a lot of times girls will buy a smaller size than they really are because they don't want anyone to know that they're bigger

I'm saying that in the rush context, that is ridiculous because unless you went to some jacked up school, no sorority member rushing you could possibly know what size clothing you are wearing.

young women have insecurities about their dress size, I was told you did not rush and are an AI and by that point hopeully looks and weight are not as imoportant when selecting women to join. It is just different

valkyrie
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
young women have insecurities about their dress size, I was told you did not rush and are an AI and by that point hopeully looks and weight are not as imoportant when selecting women to join. It is just different

What's the point of creating a troll identity to make posts like these?

KatieKD
01-09-2006, 03:47 PM

I don't think she was specifically referring to dress size when she ask the question, rather how much the sororities took appearance into consideration.

sugar and spice
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM

At my school, if you shacked with a fraternity boy, he would wake up in the middle of the night, cut the tags out of your jeans, and send them to all the sororities. By the time rush started, everybody knew that you were wearing a size two when you were actually a four. This is why you shouldn't shack, ladies.

And don't call my school jacked up. It's just a different culture here. You couldn't possibly understand it unless you went here.

Southern_Grace
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
What's the point of creating a troll identity to make posts like these?

I assure you I am not a troll. I have read the threads before and posted under an older name, but I do not remember the handle. You are an AI though correct? If bringing up that fact is offensive in anyways then I apologize, I did not mean to insult you by saying you were an AI.

ADPi Conniebama
01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
OK WOW, before this gets way to heated. And, before we all make the "shallow sorority girl" theory correct. The point of appearance being important is that. . . .

LOOK as nice as you can in whatever you wear. You are more then likely joining a sorority that is the most "like you." Would you want to join a social orgainzation that doesn't take care of themselves? Would you want to join a chapter that doesnt know how to groom theirselves or doesn't know how to dress.

My personal experience on the sororities side is NOT that we didn't want "fat girls" it was that we didnt was "nasty girls."

There are some girls that went through recruitment that were maybe slim but not slim enough to wear a "shortie" skirt or a girl that should try to wear sleeves, instead of one of those "summer" sleeveless numbers. Not that we would release them but that would be all we would remember. I mean hello 1st impressions matter.

So, dress for success. Wear something comfortable and attractive. If a sorority releases you because you are wearing a 10 instead of a 6 then don't worry about it. (I don't think that happens)

33girl
01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I assure you I am not a troll.

I assure you you ARE.

Dee34 said girls would buy a smaller size because they don't want anyone to know they are bigger.

Valkyrie didn't understand what that has to do with the discussion because unless the sorority sisters are sticking their heads down your shirts and pants to see the tags, no one will know what size you're wearing,

It had NOTHING to do with whether or not appearance is important or AIs or skepi or Dalia Terry or anything, it had to do with Dee having a faulty line of logic.

Thank you, drive through.

SissyC0109
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 33girl
I assure you you ARE.

That's just rude!

Why is it that you and Valkyrie just don't get what she's saying? No one suggested that the girls are going to look at anyone's clothing tags. What she was saying is don't try to squeeze into clothing that's too small for you.

Unregistered-
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SissyC0109
That's just rude!

Why is it that you and Valkyrie just don't get what she's saying? No one suggested that the girls are going to look at anyone's clothing tags. What she was saying is don't try to squeeze into clothing that's too small for you.

Oh Jesus H. Christ, she's back. :rolleyes:

ADPiZXalum
01-09-2006, 10:42 PM
...unless the sorority sisters are sticking their heads down your shirts and pants to see the tags

Now THAT would be a story for the weird rush stories thread! :D

wildcatsKSU
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I see what ya'll are saying here but I do believe everyone misunderstood what she said. She is simply trying to say that PNMs (or anyone for that matter) should wear clothes that are flattering on their body type. Size doesnt matter in my opinion but if i were to see say a size 4 girl stuffed into a size 00 pants I wouldn't know what size she is wearing, however I would know that the pants are obviously too small.

Well ladies take care :)

Dee34
01-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by wildcatsKSU
I see what ya'll are saying here but I do believe everyone misunderstood what she said. She is simply trying to say that PNMs (or anyone for that matter) should wear clothes that are flattering on their body type. Size doesnt matter in my opinion but if i were to see say a size 4 girl stuffed into a size 00 pants I wouldn't know what size she is wearing, however I would know that the pants are obviously too small.

Well ladies take care :)

Thats EXACTLY what I meant! Thanks for understanding :)

Rollergirl2001
01-10-2006, 12:04 AM
One huge advice: If you are thinking about rushing in the fall of 2006 and if you will be a first semester freshman (and will attend a southern school), DO IT! I know that you need to adjust to life on campus, but not rushing in your freshman year will come back to haunt you.

Also, on a post there was someone's parent that got mad at her for joining a sorority becasue of the activites being late at night. You women are adults (or almost adults). It's time that you make your own decisions. If you make your mom and dad happy by not joining, you will make yourself unhappy, and you could blame your parents later on.

You guys brought up a point about weight issues. I think that a heavy girl would have her ego crushed not only if she was cut because of her weight, but also by the number of times to got through rush because of her weight. When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that.

If a plus sized girl have it in her heart to rush, let her do it. I think it's the good Lord who put it in her heart. And remember, it's what's on the inside that counts. Just because a girl is say, obese doesn't mean that she has a bad personality. She may have good personality.

CarolinaCutie
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Daaaaaang this is gonna come off like I'm a real big bitch...

But maybe some of y'all should wait until you've actually rushed successfully to be doling out the advice :rolleyes:

ADqtPiMel
01-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie

But maybe some of y'all should wait until you've actually rushed successfully to be doling out the advice :rolleyes:

I would like to marry you right about now.

Unregistered-
01-10-2006, 12:51 AM

PRO-FUN!

honeychile
01-10-2006, 01:17 AM

And I have to clean off the monitor again!!! :D

Rollergirl2001
01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
I didn't have a successful rush, but I giving advice based on my experience (i.e. didn't take advantage of rushing in my freshman year) and based on what y'all said. I've learned so much from you guys.

kddani
01-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that.

WTF?

But yeah, I agree with what has been said- if you haven't successfully rushed, on multiple occasions, you're not really in a position to give advice. Especially when some of your advice is really messed up

aopirose
01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I kind of saw it as, “Learn from other people’s mistakes. Life is too short to make them all yourself.”

Seriously though, some people’s hearts may be in the right place but the reasoning is throwed to the left.

Southern_Grace
01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I assure you you ARE.

Well, I don't know what to say to that. Except, I'm sorry that you feel that I am a [insert expletive], I did not mean to offend anyone here.

KatieKD
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Southern_Grace, don't worry, most people understood your point. Please, everyone refrain from jumping to conclusions. And I wholeheartedly agree with CarolinaCutie's post, and unless you've been through rush before please do PNMs a favor and don't give advice. They should be well-informed, not getting information that you've gotten from an outsider's point of view. Thanks y'all!

Dee34
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry everyone :( . I didn't mean to cause annoy anyone by giving advice even though I haven't gone through rush yet. We were just on the topic of clothing and I just wanted to pass on an important piece of advice that my aunt gave me. Hope everyone is having a nice Tuesday!

KatieKD
01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't worry Dee, no harm done, thanks for the clothing advice :)

preciousjeni
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
You guys brought up a point about weight issues. I think that a heavy girl would have her ego crushed not only if she was cut because of her weight, but also by the number of times to got through rush because of her weight. When she gets cut, she is more likely to eat to cope with her depression. Many heavy people do that. I'm afraid if a woman eats for comfort, she has more to worry about than being cut. (BTW, :eek: at your comment Rollergirl2001!)

kchaptergphib
01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Um, could we get back to giving advice to PNM's? I'm affraid that all these comments will be scaring them away...

I would advise women going through recruitment to BE TRUE TO YOURSELF! All greek organizations are lovely for the people they are right for.
If you are someone who spends a lot of time on your appearance, likes to go to class in haute couture, and was and will always be a cheerleader, there is a sorority out there that will fit you. If you are someone who is friendly, but shy, enjoys going to movies, has a 4.0 and has always been involved in musical theatre, there is a sorority out there for you, too. It's even possible (though unlikely) that they are the same chapter.
More than likely, you will appreciate whatever chapter you join, but I can not stress enough to try for the house in which you feel the most comfortable. There were other chapters at my school that were lovely, the women interesting and gorgeous, yet they were NOT for me. In my case, I found the women at Gamma Phi Beta to be beautiful, smart, gracious, friendly and fun.
Although it can be hard, especially in the crazy environment that formal recruitment can be, try to determine the "vibe" or "feel" of the chapter, and then assess whether you will be comfortable and shine in that sort of environment. I have been around some greek women who did not really fit into their chapter, and they knew it, and were somewhat uncomfortable. I would hate to have someone have that sort of experience.
So good luck, be yourself, and have a GREAT time- recruitment should be an exciting and rewarding event!

SissyC0109
01-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by OTW
Oh Jesus H. Christ, she's back. :rolleyes:

Oh no, she's still here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess I really struck a nerve commenting on your ugly tattoo.

kddani
01-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by SissyC0109
Oh no, she's still here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess I really struck a nerve commenting on your ugly tattoo.

Wait, are you the girl with a prison tattoo of her letters?

Rudey
01-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by kddani
Wait, are you the girl with a prison tattoo of her letters?

Stop harassing her.

-Rudey

PenguinTrax
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Please keep things on topic.

Back to your regularly scheduled forum.

GeorgiaGirl
01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
BE YOURSELF. Don't let the opinions of the other PNMs influence your decision. There will probably be TONS of rumors flying about the different houses. No, XYZ will NOT make you stand in the quad naked and circle your fat. Just don't believe what you hear. Think for yourself.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you like something, tell them. These women have worked so hard preparing recruitment for YOU, so if their house/hall looks nice, tell them. If you thought their skit was funny, tell them. They will definitely appreciate it. Don't be overly enthusiastic (OMG I love you and I love your house and I love everything!!!) and always be sincere.

LoyalCapricorn
05-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Omg that is great advice now i know what to do and what not to do.thanx

AGDLynn
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
The most predictable thing about recruitment is that it is not predictable. Things happen....planned or not. So be prepared.

trideltadarling
05-15-2006, 09:17 PM
One extremely important piece of advice: listen to your Rho Chi when she tells you to turn off your cell phone!!!
My school does deferred recruitment and at our pref day in January we had a PNM texting on her cell phone during our pref ceremony, complete with the sound on. That definitely left us with a feeling that she didn't care about our ceremony and that she didn't want to be a member of our organization. Unfortunately that night while my chapter was outside waiting for girls to get their bids she came up to ask us where she was supposed to go and implied that she was expecting a bid from our chapter and that is why she had come up to ask us where she needed to be. No matter how impressed we had been with her before, she ruined her impression at the very last minute. So just keep your phone away and off...it sends the impression that you are uninterested and just don't care about what's going on!

gagirl224
07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey ya'll,
Thanks for all of your advice, its been really helpful! I'll be staring rush in less than a month and I'm SO excited! I have one question though- if a sister asks you which sorority you like the best and you really like their sorority should you tell them theyre your favorite? I've heard that that's really bad and makes you seem over-eager about everything. I've also heard that you should definitley tell them you like them at Pref. Night, but what if they ask you on the first couple of days? I've been wondering about this for awhile so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks again girls, hope youre having a wonderful summer!:)

33girl
07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey ya'll,
Thanks for all of your advice, its been really helpful! I'll be staring rush in less than a month and I'm SO excited! I have one question though- if a sister asks you which sorority you like the best and you really like their sorority should you tell them theyre your favorite? I've heard that that's really bad and makes you seem over-eager about everything. I've also heard that you should definitley tell them you like them at Pref. Night, but what if they ask you on the first couple of days? I've been wondering about this for awhile so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks again girls, hope youre having a wonderful summer!:)

Don't ever tell a sorority that they're your favorite on the first day or two. It will make you look creepy and stalker-y.

Aside from that, no sorority members should be asking you questions like that - it's a rush infraction. If there's a group that persistently asks things like this, let your rush counselor know.

dgdramadawg
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Don't ever tell a sorority that they're your favorite on the first day or two. It will make you look creepy and stalker-y.

BUT if you feel really strongly about a house during round three or prefs, make sure you let them know how much you like them! Sometimes it can be hard to tell for sure where a house stands with a rushee and during prefs a simple "I'm so glad to be here" or "I really love it here at XYZ" can let the rusher know that they're a favorite of yours without giving off a stalker vibe.

UGAalum94
07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
This may have been said before, and if so I apologize.

Some aspects of recruitment might seem weird. No social event or organizational interest meeting that I had gone to up until rush or have gone to since involved door stacking, singing, chants, clapping, yelling, etc, as prospective members came to show interest.

Don't be weirded out if that's not your thing. Try to enjoy it and share the enthusiasm of the girls rushing you, but know that it really has almost nothing to do with day to day life in any of the chapters.

This warning never would have occurred to me except that one of the girls I know who dropped out of recruitment last last mentioned it to me after she dropped out. She is the kind of girl who would have made a great member, but I think she thought that if this kind of zany activity was typical, it wasn't for her.

Fleur de Lis
08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
At schools where tons of girls are going through, I would make a point to stand out in your wardrobe. You may talk to 4 or 5 girls at the first round, but probably half the chapter sees you enter or leave. We rushed in January, and I remember one girl wore a really bright, pretty scarf. So when a sister described her after the round, we all knew who she was and it was easier to put a face to her name. And you're more likely to vote for a girl who you remember (seems obvious!). So dress to impress, and maybe add a unique touch to your outfit, like jewelry, fun shoes, etc. This also makes a great conversation piece!!

AChiOhSnap
08-05-2007, 01:05 PM
So dress to impress, and maybe add a unique touch to your outfit, like jewelry, fun shoes, etc. This also makes a great conversation piece!!

That's a great idea, but make sure you're adding unique touches appropriate to the style of your campus. "Fun shoes" might mean something totally different to the Chicago or New York PNM (Jimmy Choo snakeskin stillettos anyone?) than to the conservative Atlanta or Dallas PNM. If it's a very conservative, traditional recruitment, you'd probably be better off in adding something like a piece of jewelry that's unique in how gorgeous it is, not unique in how "different" or funky it is.

And this should really go without saying, but your conversation piece should under no circumstances be a straw hat or purple feather boa unless you're rushing on Mars.

carnation
08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
And this should really go without saying, but your conversation piece should under no circumstances be a straw hat or purple feather boa unless you're rushing on Mars.

LOL. If anyone needs further clarification on this, please refer to my post in "Weird Rush Stories" about the PNM who decided to be memorable in orange and purple.

AChiOhSnap
08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
LOL. If anyone needs further clarification on this, please refer to my post in "Weird Rush Stories" about the PNM who decided to be memorable in orange and purple.

Your story really does take the cake in terms of weird recruitment outfits (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showpost.php?p=112409&postcount=7), but I was also referring to my OWN experiences with recruitment!

The year before that, a woman wore a straw hat (not even like a little feminine cowboy hat when cowboy hats had an unfortunate resurgence in popularity a couple years ago but an actual old-timey farmer's straw hat) because she grew up on a farm and figured that would be a good way for the sorority actives to remember her... She was right about that! She became known as "Farm Girl" or "The One With The Hat." She ended up transferring after freshman year and unfortunately became a "what not to do" story during recruitment orientation.

The following year, a PNM apparently heard this story and thought to her misguided self "Well of COURSE I wouldn't wear a straw hat, that would just be silly! I'll wear a PURPLE FEATHER BOA instead!" She came through wearing the boa and a rhinestone tiara! We were like "This isn't a bachelorette party, girlie..." Apparently her Rho Chi pulled her aside after the first rounds and insisted that she not wear anything weird the next day.

Her response? "I was just wearing something that reflected my personality and made me stand out!!!" Mission accomplished, Boa Girl. Mission accomplished.

It's amazing how some PNMs are just entirely lacking in common sense about this kind of stuff. A nice rule of thumb is that if everyone is looking at you sideways and the other PNMs are trying to distance themselves from you, you're probably wearing something dumb.

Oh, and here's another, related suggestion for PNMs going through traditional/competitive recruitments: If you aren't the most fashion-savvy young woman or you have a rather "awkward" sense of style, get your fashion conscious hallmate or roommate to help you out. Seriously. Go to the best-dressed girl in your hall, be like "I love your sense of style, would you mind helping me put together some outfits for recruitment?" She'd probably be so flattered that she'd do it in a heartbeat (unless she's a huge biotch), and maybe even lend you some stuff.

It's fine to have trouble with fashion and style. It's tricky, and everyone struggles with it from time to time. What's NOT fine is not doing anything about the fact that you look outdated/matronly/skanky/sloppy/mismatched or whatever. In a competitive recruitment, you need to look like you took your time and that you care enough about yourself to look your best. If that doesn't come naturally to you, then there's no shame in asking for help.

Axid angel
08-13-2007, 01:10 AM
i hope this has not been posted already, but don't wear your favorite sorority's colors to fall recruitment. you see it as flattery, but it may translate as obsession. also the other sororites my think you are not willing to give them a chance and may not give you a chance in return.

lovelycapricorn
08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
So when is a good time to rush??????

AChiOhSnap
08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
So when is a good time to rush??????

If you're referring to NPHC Rush, I'd look at the stickies in the specific sorority forums for the answer to that question.

GammaPhi88
02-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Your story really does take the cake in terms of weird recruitment outfits (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showpost.php?p=112409&postcount=7), but I was also referring to my OWN experiences with recruitment!

The year before that, a woman wore a straw hat (not even like a little feminine cowboy hat when cowboy hats had an unfortunate resurgence in popularity a couple years ago but an actual old-timey farmer's straw hat) because she grew up on a farm and figured that would be a good way for the sorority actives to remember her... She was right about that! She became known as "Farm Girl" or "The One With The Hat." She ended up transferring after freshman year and unfortunately became a "what not to do" story during recruitment orientation.

The following year, a PNM apparently heard this story and thought to her misguided self "Well of COURSE I wouldn't wear a straw hat, that would just be silly! I'll wear a PURPLE FEATHER BOA instead!" She came through wearing the boa and a rhinestone tiara! We were like "This isn't a bachelorette party, girlie..." Apparently her Rho Chi pulled her aside after the first rounds and insisted that she not wear anything weird the next day.

Her response? "I was just wearing something that reflected my personality and made me stand out!!!" Mission accomplished, Boa Girl. Mission accomplished.

It's amazing how some PNMs are just entirely lacking in common sense about this kind of stuff. A nice rule of thumb is that if everyone is looking at you sideways and the other PNMs are trying to distance themselves from you, you're probably wearing something dumb.

Oh, and here's another, related suggestion for PNMs going through traditional/competitive recruitments: If you aren't the most fashion-savvy young woman or you have a rather "awkward" sense of style, get your fashion conscious hallmate or roommate to help you out. Seriously. Go to the best-dressed girl in your hall, be like "I love your sense of style, would you mind helping me put together some outfits for recruitment?" She'd probably be so flattered that she'd do it in a heartbeat (unless she's a huge biotch), and maybe even lend you some stuff.

It's fine to have trouble with fashion and style. It's tricky, and everyone struggles with it from time to time. What's NOT fine is not doing anything about the fact that you look outdated/matronly/skanky/sloppy/mismatched or whatever. In a competitive recruitment, you need to look like you took your time and that you care enough about yourself to look your best. If that doesn't come naturally to you, then there's no shame in asking for help.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I recently went through recruitment and a similar thing happened. We had a girl in my rush group dye her hair shocking blue the night before recruitment. She also wore large rhinestone pins all over her shirt, in order to "stand out from all those boring blondes in pink sweaters" (as a blonde in a pink sweater, I was a little offended). I go to a school with 12 NPC sororities, and because it is harder every year to get in (800 girls rush), nothing s guaranteed. This girl is now a cautionary tale...no bright blue (or pink, or green, or anything really weird) hair.

cuserushgirl
02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Um, I don't know if you were in my rush group or not
but I'm guessing you were because I don't remember there being many other blue haired girls going through recruitment.

but in case you are talking about me, i never wore rhinestones all over my shirt
nor did I ever say anything about "standing out from boring blondes" EVER.
plus I dyed my hair blue over winter break. i got it touched up before recruitment started because it faded to white.

cuserushgirl
02-18-2008, 12:33 AM
oh PLUS i've been told a girl with brown and purple hair got into a very good house on campus, so funky colored hair isn't that big of a problem.

GammaPhi88
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
No, it was someone else. She ended up dropping after the second round. It was more the attitude than hair anyway

ComradesTrue
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Bump for upcoming Recruitment Season.

I know that some of the original advice that Southern Theta gives is more specific to larger or Southern chapters, but as the thread progresses, the advice is universal.