PDA

View Full Version : new national chapters

carnation
11-04-2000, 11:31 PM
Well, it seems that suddenly the local groups at the college where I teach may very likely be going national. In this case, it's a very good decision. On the sorority side, I have contacted the extension chairmen of 8 NPC groups. We probably have room for 3 fraternities and 3 sororities--each group would have 50-70 members.

Does anyone have any advice for the college?

coffeemug
11-05-2000, 11:07 AM
Well it will be an exciting and busy time for greek life at your school.

One suggestion is to contact NPC and let all National groups decide if they are interested in coming to this campus. You said you only contacted 8 groups, but by contacting NPC all groups would be notified and those interested typically submit written proposals.

A second suggestion is to have each sorority put together an information packet. NPC groups like to evaluate the health of individual groups as well as the system overall before deciding to extend.

Things to include: what quota has been on the campus the last 3 years, what the GPA of sororities are vs all women's gpa, what % of the campus is going greek.

For the individual sororities I would have them include their colors, symbols and history. What their membership numbers, sctivities and goals are like. Also a class distibution (# in each academic class). This is a great way for the local to make sure they include stuff about their personaility in order to find a national group that their is a good fit with.

What campus are you at and how soon are they looking to affiliate?? Some things to keep in mind --not all NPC groups are able to expand even though they might want to come to your campus. They may be committed to other extension projects, etc.

Good luck!!

carnation
11-05-2000, 02:20 PM
Coffeemug, I would like to say which college this is but I would end up getting vulgar e-mails from a certain listmember, I'm sure. But it's a Southern college so I primarily contacted the classic Southern sororities--and those who really support a new chapter if they choose to colonize there (some, I recall from my days as a Greek advisor at a university, basically abandon their struggling chapters). http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif

Also, alum support here would definitely be strongest from the classic Southern sororities--sometimes it seems that everyone here is a member of 1 of 5 groups! Also, I don't know yet whether each group would go national or the groups would just disband and the nationals would conduct rush. Probably the latter would be preferable.

33girl
11-06-2000, 12:30 AM
I thought that in a situation like this all the NPC groups HAD to be contacted through a group notice to NPC, but I could be wrong.

Valparaiso University in Indiana recently had all their national sororities go local at one time (there were around 8 of them) a year or 2 ago. It might be worth it to you to contact their Greek life advisor and see how they handled the change. Good Luck!

PenguinTrax
11-06-2000, 08:20 AM
Carnation,

The school administration must formally inform the NPC of the school's decision to open the campus for national colonization. The NPC will then forward the information to the 26 members of the NPC. Those interested in pursuing colonization will inform the NPC and that information will be sent back to the school.

While it is OK to contact some groups directly, you will need to follow NPC procedure.

As far as things to look out for - evaluating the health of the existing local chapters is key. At Valparaiso, the local group that accepted AST as their affiliation folded almost immediately. Recolonization efforts did not work and the local that had been on campus for decades (and their members) are nothing but a memory.

Don't rush the process with the locals - this is a BIG and difficult decision and there will be opposition within each group as well as the local alumnae chapters.

Barb

33girl
11-06-2000, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by PnguinTrax:
As far as things to look out for - evaluating the health of the existing local chapters is key. At Valparaiso, the local group that accepted AST as their affiliation folded almost immediately. Recolonization efforts did not work and the local that had been on campus for decades (and their members) are nothing but a memory.

Barb

Barb - I'm not sure if you know but was it more due to the local group not being a strong group or AST not having the resources? Compared to the other nationals that colonized there AST was a lot smaller.

A guy I went to high school with went there and he couldn't believe the sororities went national at all.

PenguinTrax
11-07-2000, 09:33 AM
I think AST had great resources there from what I heard. I think many of the problems were internal. Shortly after the switch, the chapter dropped down to about 3 women. AST came back to campus and did a big membership push. Why that didn't work, I don't know but I think the size of the national wouldn't matter too much on that campus because all the local groups were about the same size.

I think there were a great many risk management issues which is why the administration moved toward national affiliation.

Barb

carnation
11-10-2000, 09:23 AM
I'd like to thank all you who have been e-mailing me about our "nationalization". You had some fabulous ideas and I've already talked to lots of reps from the national groups! We hope to have a system in place by the end of the school year.

I still don't know if we'll approach it from the standpoint of nationalizing the groups we have or just disbanding them and starting from scratch. Probably the latter, though we must be careful because some groups move too fast and in their haste to build size, grab new members they shouldn't--I know one group who bitterly regrets doing that during their colonization and that was some thirty years ago!

I imagine they'll stick to the "classic Southern sororities" due to heavy local alum support.This is so exciting!

33girl
11-10-2000, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by carnation:
I still don't know if we'll approach it from the standpoint of nationalizing the groups we have or just disbanding them and starting from scratch.

I hate to be a wet blanket but how old/big are the locals? If they've been around for a long time, just scrapping them and beginning over as if they never existed could cause a LOT of bad feelings among alumni. It's one thing to be able to say "My local became a chapter of Sigma Chi" - and to be able to look at those guys and know they are in a way your "descendants." It's something else again to know your org was completely dissolved and the the members-to-come at your school will never hear anything about what you worked so hard to build. Personally, if I was in the latter situation I think it would totally suck.

If the orgs are too small to each support a separate national, maybe the Greek life coordinator could approach them about mergers.

carnation
11-10-2000, 07:19 PM
Until this fall there were 2 local sororities about 90 years old and a third that's about 35. One of the older locals folded, probably due to hazing, in the spring. The other 2 have 100 and 50 members each but a lot of kids aren't pledging because the hazing is so very bad--they just don't know any better and think that this is what Greek life is all about. I know these groups didn't haze 20 years ago.This morning one of the pledges said, "They took us out in a pasture last night and covered us with syrup, flour, and orange juice!"

Anyway, the old traditions are all but lost and I hear that a lot of students drop out junior year--what else is there to do after you get your shot at hazing your soph year? I think our administration just wants to start clean. If they had been sticking to their old rituals and so forth it'd be one thing but it's just out of hand...I passed a guy wearing a leopard print bra on his head.

Also, the really strong Christians aren't pledging--seems like it's mostly the wilder kids. The others want something different--including, secretly, some of the current members.

It'll be interesting to see what happens!

sigmagrrl
11-11-2000, 08:58 AM
Carnation,
What school is this that wants to go "national"??

carnation
11-11-2000, 10:22 AM
Hi Sigmagrrl,

If you can provide me a way to e-mail you, I'll be happy to let you know the college's name! We welcome all interested parties.

33girl
11-11-2000, 05:07 PM
Carnation - can you e-mail & let me know the school? (My e-mail addy is in my profile.) I'm just too curious now. I can't believe a guy would be made to wear a leopard bra on his head - everyone knows it's python print that is in this season! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

Yacch...if it's that bad with the hazing, most of the current members will probably quit anyway rather than follow the national policies.

coffeemug
11-19-2000, 09:42 PM
hey carnation...can you email me too?

coffeemug@home.com

thanks!

tempests12
12-05-2000, 04:27 PM
Hey Carnation-
could you email me too...i go to a small school in TN which is considering just the same thing...we have about 8 locals here...this spring we are having pre-colonization visits by 3 nationals...i would like to find out more from you about the process
thanks
Crazycaligirl_12@hotmail.com

DeltAlum
12-05-2000, 06:59 PM
Hi Carnation,

Lots of replys from women, but I think you mentioned fraternities as well. I suspect that Delta Tau Delta would like to at least chat with interested groups.

They can reach the Delt Central Office thru the Delt Website at www.delts.org (http://www.delts.org) -- or there is also a toll-free number:1-800-DELTSXL.

Thanks,
DeltAlum

carnation
12-05-2000, 10:48 PM
Okay, the Delts have been contacted and I want you to know that I felt really dumb saying,"This guy on Greekchat named Delt Alum wants me to tell you that our locals are going national!"

DeltAlum
12-07-2000, 12:57 AM
Thanks Carnation,

I hope whomever was on the other end of the phone didn't sound dumb. And I hope they can be helpful.

In the future, you can E-mail me if you want.

DeltAlum

cinergy
12-08-2000, 01:42 PM
Carnation

In your first post you mentioned that you have room for 3 fraternities and 3 sororities and each would have 50-70 members.

I was wondering if you had contacted any men's groups yet? I am asking becouse I work as a consultant for a men's organization and we currently have a colony in Georgia and an interest group in Tennesse, with a possible expansion effort in Florida next year. I was wondering if you would be intersested in some information about our expansion program?

cinergy
12-08-2000, 01:43 PM
Carnation

In your first post you mentioned that you have room for 3 fraternities and 3 sororities and each would have 50-70 members.

I was wondering if you had contacted any men's groups yet? I am asking becouse I work as a consultant for a men's organization and we currently have a colony in Georgia and an interest group in Tennesse, with a possible expansion effort in Florida next year. I was wondering if you would be intersested in some information about our expansion program?

carnation
12-08-2000, 10:47 PM
Hi, Cinergy--

I believe that someone did talk to them about Theta Chi but I'll ask on Monday. Once the advisors talked to NPC and IFC, they were flooded--possibly because there are no nationals yet and it's essentially a dry campus anyway.

DeltAlum
12-09-2000, 03:24 PM
Hey Carnation,

Sounds like you're off to a really good start. Keep us up to date, will you? Great job!

DeltAlum

SigTauJake
06-04-2001, 01:00 PM
Email me carnation and let me know the school. Thanks.

sigtau_jake@yahoo.com

Tom Earp
06-04-2001, 06:21 PM
carnation E-m me likewise. LXA is always looking to expand and a good local helps. I know as I started a local, I had no intintion of affilliating with LXA. I just did not know that much about them. Since 1967, I have never looked back! I AM a LXA. I can give you an e-m of who to contact at our International.

We are a very strong International with paid represenatives who make visits to the local chapters to check on them. It probably has one of the largest staffs of any Greek Organization.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)

Rudey
06-04-2001, 09:33 PM
If a local goes national, do they have to pay initiation fees all over again? Is there a pledge or "education" process at all? I don't understand why it would be hard to do this procuedure and chapters could fail. I understand it entails more than just buying tshirts with new letters, but still aside from learning some traditions, what else could there be? Sorry if I sound a bit dumb about this, but I've never even seen any locals.

33girl
06-04-2001, 10:51 PM
Rudey,

Yes they need to pay initiation fees, and yes they need to pretty much pledge all over again. Then they also need to prove for a period of time that they can sustain the momentum.

Why would they fail? The chapter is not unified in wanting to go national...reluctance to give up old traditions and adopt new ones...lack of alum support for the change...sticker shock over the usually increased dues...can't maintain momentum after the "movers and shakers" who pushed for national affiliation graduate...I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

And now that I've depressed myself I'm going to go stick my head in the oven! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif

LexiKD
06-05-2001, 12:28 AM
I think the first few years of a new chapter is the most important.

They could fail from internal problems or from playing by different rules. A campus that has been functioning with a local has to make room for a national organization, the playing field is much different.

As for pledging. It is best if you have found a national organization that stands for the same values as the old. You will have new pride, traditions, and not to mention a new name. Which means, bood-bye old... hello new...100%. The groups has to be unified for it to work. National organizations have so much to offer that they could be imbraced with open arms and a welcoming attitude, but sometimes local groups hate the change, it can be very limiting, in the area of regulations, but freeing in the area of oppurtunities.

I know UNC-Pembroke had a new national that went back to the original local...I think that's harsh.

33girl
06-05-2001, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ecukd:
I know UNC-Pembroke had a new national that went back to the original local...I think that's harsh.

Along those lines in a roundabout way, the SUNY system in New York state made all the Greeks disaffiliate from their nationals somewhere in the mid 50's I think, and a lot of them never switched back after the national ban was lifted. Does anyone on here from the SUNY system know if the schools have ever pushed for groups to regain national affiliation, what with insurance issues and such?

PenguinTrax
06-05-2001, 08:18 AM
I know that at many SUNY schools there are now a combination of locals and nationals.

Valporaiso University made all their locals go national and for the most part it has worked out, at least for the sororities. The only exception is the group that decided to go with AST. They had tremendous problems from the get-go, AST tried to reorg the chapter and it has since folded completely, losing both a chapter for AST and a local with a longstanding tradition.

I had spoken with a couple national officers from different NPC groups that had made presentations at Valpo. Evidently there was a huge hazing problem and some other risk management issues.

shadokat
06-05-2001, 09:55 AM
I know that Delta Phi Epsilon is now at many of the SUNY University Centers, including: Albany, Binghamton, Brockport, Cortland, Fredonia, Geneseo, New Paltz, Oneonta, Oswego, and Plattsburgh. Most of the chapters were chartered in the mid to late 1980s, so this would be after that disaffiliation period. Other national groups at SUNY schools include AEPhi, Alpha Phi, AZD, Phi Sigma Sigma, Sigma Kappa and SDT.

Just some info http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by 33girl:
Along those lines in a roundabout way, the SUNY system in New York state made all the Greeks disaffiliate from their nationals somewhere in the mid 50's I think, and a lot of them never switched back after the national ban was lifted. Does anyone on here from the SUNY system know if the schools have ever pushed for groups to regain national affiliation, what with insurance issues and such?

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon, Celebrating 84 years of Dedication, Pride and Excellence!

aopirose
06-05-2001, 10:33 AM
It's interesting that you mention AST because the local at Pembroke had been an AST chapter too.

That being said I don't want it to seem that we are AST bashing. Every group has their ups and downs as far as chapters go and AST is doing just fine overall. They recently picked up another local at Oakland University and I wish them great success.

Tom Earp
06-05-2001, 04:55 PM
While I cannot speak for other Fraternitys/Soroitys, I can relate mine.
As a local, all members who had thier grades and were in good standing were initiated in colonization. Those who made grades later were initiated. The only thing they lost was the number they were in the local and got a new number as a member of LXA.
Yes each one had to pay fees just as any new member does to any FRAT/SORO. These fees are for keeping the staffs and paid ELC's paid and on the road for visitations to the Chapters. There are many Greek Orgs. who have volunteers, one is a freind of ming who is a KS and covers Ks. One of my Brothers wife is a Regional Director for ASA and this and his time is donated.
I in turn keep in touch with my International that at times wish I would go away, but am also very involved in my own local Chapter.
Yo Corbin, what is up????

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)