PDA

View Full Version : Sorority question

praisedancer
02-01-2001, 09:59 PM
I am preparing to rush at my school next week, as some of you may know. I have one concern about joining a sorority. I am very involved and committed at my church as a youth leader on Sunday nights. When my friend was a KKG at my school, they had their meetings on Sunday nights. What I am wondering is are all sorority meetings typically held on Sunday nights, and if so, what time? I am typically not available until 8:30 p.m. on Sundays. I am sure that it varies from school to school and chapter to chapter, but how common are Sunday night meetings? This is a main thing that I will be considering during recruitment. Thank you for any input. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif

AlphaChiGirl
02-01-2001, 10:15 PM
I know that in my chapter, we have some girls who are very religious (Jewish)...meaning that we can't have (or they don't participate in) events ocurring during the Sabbath. We've made it pretty easy for them to do sorority stuff as well as their religious activities. I'm sure that every semester, they'll go through and figure out what time is the best for everyone. Best of luck!

PenguinTrax
02-01-2001, 11:21 PM
P.D,
Every chapter has meetings on different nights and sometimes meeting nights will change from semester to semester. I would wait and see what group pledges you and discuss your concerns with them. It could be that as long as you make your new member classes, you'll be in the clear.

Barbara

twinstars
02-01-2001, 11:39 PM
all the sororities at my school have their chapter meeting on monday at 6:30pm.

Unregistered-
02-02-2001, 03:26 AM
True, the meeting day and time varies on a chapter by chapter basis. My chapter meets every Tuesday at 7 P.M. Usually at the beginning of the semester we decide on a time when EVERYONE would be free, so things like work/church/school obligations could be taken care of at other times.

Sunday nights have not worked well for us since many of us attend Sunday night services and take that time afterwards to catch up on school work before we all go back to the work week.

I'd also wait and see what happens after you are pledged. Once you are, it'd be great for you to discuss it with the sisters. In my chapter, one of my sisters is a Seventh-Day Adventist, and the semester she joined she let us know that because of her faith she wouldn't be able to attend Fireside and Initiation because they fall on Friday night and Saturday morning. We couldn't change the Fireside date, but we moved Initiation to Sunday morning.

Again, good luck, and keep us posted!!!

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*

praisedancer
02-02-2001, 07:09 AM
Thank you for your replies. I feel a bit more at ease now. OohTeenie, do you think I should bring this up during recruitment or wait until I am pledged?

shadokat
02-02-2001, 09:52 AM
Our chapter meetings were always on Mondays at 9:30 pm to accommodate those people who had night classes and such.

SoCalGirl
02-02-2001, 09:20 PM
I have to disagree w/ our happykappa. Personally, I'd rather know during rush if meeting time was a potential conflict for our potentials. But I think you would have to bring it up very carefully. You definitely don't want to sound like your already in.

I think if you said something along the lines of "I am very involved and committed at my church as a youth leader on Sunday nights. Do you have many events on Sunday night that members need to attend?" This would let them know that ++you're a well rounded active person++, and ++that you also want to be able to give your all to the chapter++ You could also say straight up. "I have many activities that I'm involved in and don't want to be just a name on a member list. How much notice do you (the members) get before an event so you can arrange your schedules accordingly?" I'm sure you could come up w/ something good to say.

As far as meetings at my school. Every chapter has them Mondays from 7pm-9pm. That only changes if Monday is some holiday. Every member accepts this and plans her classes accordingly. In my chapter,only seniors who have a required class for graduation at that time are excused from meetings. And you have to get approved the quarter before by our advisors. This happened to me and it was so depressing. I rarely got to see anyone in the chapter. It seemed no matter what event we were planning I had some conflict! Completely sucked.

imsohappythatiama
02-03-2001, 12:27 AM
Hi praisedancer:

First of all, I want to wish you the best of luck during Rush!

You should not worry about Sunday night meetings . . . any chapter you pledge will understand your important prior committments to your youth group, and will either excuse you from the meetings, or will reschedule them accordingly (probably depending on the size of the chapter). I would advise you to speak to your New Member chairman about your conflict once you are pledged to a chapter. Do not, however, ask such a question during the Rush proces--this might insinuate that you "think you're already in" or something like that . . . and you don't want to come off that way, I am sure.

Once you are pledged, your New Member chairperson and/or your mentor/big sis/whatever will be the person with whom you can discuss your Sunday night situation. I am sure that you will find people will be very accomodating!

You mentioned KKG in your first post--I hope that you won't rule Kappa out just because they hold their formal meetings on Sunday nights! In the meantime, if I can give you any futher information on KKG, please don't hesitate to contact me. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif

Best of luck to you, praisedancer! Keep us posted!

Panhellenically,

imsohappthatiama

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!

[This message has been edited by imsohappythatiama (edited February 02, 2001).]

aggieadpi_01
06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
My chapter meetings were on Mondays at 6:30. Every other chapter on my campus had the same meeting time as well.

MysticCat
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
It definitely varies with the organization, so just ask during rush for a for sure answer!!! good luck :)

My chapter meetings were on Mondays at 6:30. Every other chapter on my campus had the same meeting time as well.This thread is over 9 years old. The people you're responding to either pledged or didn't pledge years ago.

Psi U MC Vito
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
wow. 9 year bump. Is that a record?

aggieadpi_01
06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Hahaha, I just looked at the date on the original post. Wow!!!

Drolefille
06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Nah we had a 10 year bump a while ago.