PDA

View Full Version : magic carpet ride?

chantillylace55
06-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Hey I was just wondering if all the chapters of LXA have a special bond to the "Magic Carpet Ride" song, or if its just the chapter at my school?
I went to their formal and a date dash of theirs and they ALWAYS play that song at every event and do a crowd surfing thing while its playing
I asked one of my friends in Lambda Chi what the deal was with that song and he said it was somehow connected to Lambda Chi... or something like that...
Is this an international thing or just that specific chapter? Just wondering...
Thanks boys!
chantillylace;)

(edited to recognize your Canadian brethren;) )

jonsagara
06-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Nation-wide (and international, too - mustn't forget our Canadian brethren). :)

RACooper
06-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey espacially Canadian... after all the song is by Canadians :)

Tom Earp
06-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Not really sure where it came into being!

The Brothers of the Chapter dance in a big circle and do a small form of slamming! One goes in the middle and does a dance! I did after shoulder surgery, would not have missed it for the world! Hurt like hell tho!!

I remember the Judge, for real one, in a Tux doing a Break Dance! Had to be the Funniest thing I had seen!

The theme song for the intro of the Viper was MCR. Brother Joe Hilger is a High Muckity for Dodge!

What a hoot! :D

RC how you doing up North there Bro?

MaryDZ
07-15-2002, 12:21 AM
I dated a Lambda chi last year, he told me the drummer of Steppenwolf was a brother and helped write that song ...

Corbin Dallas
07-15-2002, 09:29 AM
I've heard rumors about different people involved with Steppenwolf being brothers, but IHQ denies it completely.

hannahgirl
07-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Total love for that song and the brothers of Lambda Chi at The University of Akron!!!

texas*princess
07-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Wow.. I thought the Lambda Chi's here were the only ones that got all rowdy with that "Magic Carpet Ride" song.. my boyfriend is a Lambda Chi and he totally refuses to tell me what that song is all about... umm mmaybe it's part of their ritual? :p They play that song at EVERY single function they have... it was really cute at first... if anyone knows what the deal is please let me know!

AOX81
08-06-2002, 09:24 AM
I remember when we did Magic Carpet Ride at our wedding reception. All my sisters and my husbands fraternity brothers took the floor and all the old people were looking at us like we were freaking crazy!! We definitely got a little rowdy and the people at the reception hall we're not too thrilled with us :)

Hootie
08-16-2002, 12:56 AM
That's so funny you should bring up that song. My school's chapter does the SAME thing. I thought it was just them...lol! Now I know it's a national thing!

Very interesting!

Hootie ;)

xok85xo
09-12-2002, 05:38 PM
the lambda chis at my school do it too..i heard that it is because one of the members of steppenwolf is a lambda chi and it has something to do w/their ritual..obviously no lambda chi would confirm this..would they? :)

texas*princess
09-12-2002, 06:49 PM
::shrugs:: who knows :p
the lambda chi's i have talked to claim to have no idea why they marvel at that song, but whether they really know or not, I think it's cool that they have a song that the entire organization can have fun and "bond" with

boz130
09-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Ladies & brother Lamb Chops: Speaking as an alum with some mileage, I can report we've been utilizing this ditty since it was on the Top 40 (circa 1973). As for WHY we use it...well, we can't really mention that, can we?

ZAX,
Bill Foltz
BOZ 130
Illinois State '77

Corbin Dallas
09-17-2002, 11:41 AM
BOZ, welcome to the board. Back in the day it must not have been quite so big. One of my profs is a brother from Ohio University, graduated in '84 I believe. He said they didn't play it then, but when he went to UK to grad school in the late 80's the local chapter played it. Maybe it spread from west to east :)

boz130
09-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Steve: my dad was a Rose alum (he and my uncle attended on the GI Bill after WWII). The family lived near 9th & Hulman, by the old Rexall & KFC...for what that's worth.

Anyway, "MCG" was a mainstay of our annual Illinois State LCA basketball tournaments back in the mid-1970's. At least THOSE brain cells have stayed with me.

ZAX,
BF

boz130
09-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Oh, brother, I guess the brain cells WERE corrupted...I think I should say "MCR".

ZAX,
BF
BOZ 130

Tom Earp
09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Cant say when MCR came into beign at LX Z but of course it was after me!! No remarks Steve and Andy!

It was the greatest thing I ever had seen Brothers do! It was not long till they had me up doing teh MCR!

Greatest ever was when a Nev Judge did Break Dancing in the center in A Tux Yet!!!!!!!!! Laffed my butt off!:D

He was an original member of teh Local! This was Last Year, go figure! :cool:

XOAlumXO
09-19-2002, 04:11 AM
This is pretty funny-I had no idea that Magic Carpet Ride was an International LXA thing. My brother, who's a LXA at UCF, plays that song over and over again.

DZetaBiotch
10-07-2002, 03:55 AM
The song definitely has something to do with the ritual although it's very hard to figure out unless you are an LXA! One of my friends is a Lambda Chi and has hinted to me that the ritual is connected to that song, and that his brothers made the pledges try to guess every day at the ritual up until initiation.

Anyway he said ritual was very cool and the song made sense once he went through it but told me I would never guess in a million years what it was and he was never going to tell me. That's fine for me! :) He once told me that the writers of the song in question did get kicked out by nationals after penning those lyrics.

boz130
10-07-2002, 10:55 AM
If the International HQ isn't pleased by the song, then they probably wouldn't even acknowledge it. However, this year @ the General Assembly in Denver they did a photo montage of convention events while the song was played. Imagine, John Tesh being connected to MCR!

Corbin Dallas
10-07-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by boz130
If the International HQ isn't pleased by the song, then they probably wouldn't even acknowledge it. However, this year @ the General Assembly in Denver they did a photo montage of convention events while the song was played. Imagine, John Tesh being connected to MCR!

That's why I don't think there could be any truth to the songwriter being a lambda chi and being kicked out. I talked to an ELC about it one time, and he broke it down for me. It's just one of those things, where if you look for coincidences, they seem to be there.

AXiDBlinkfan
11-02-2002, 01:12 AM
OUR "UNOFFICIAL" BIG BROS, THE LAMBDA CHI'S HERE IN EL PASO, DO THE SAME DAMN THING HERE! ONCE AT A PARTY, THEY GOT TOGETHER ALL AROUND US ALPHA XI'S IN A CIRCLE AND SANG THEY'RE "SONG" TO US... WE ALL WONDERED WHAT KINDA CONOTATION THAT SONG HAS, BUT I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW HUH? HEHE. IF YOU ALL CAN TELL ME THAT'D BE GREAT. IF NOT, OH WELL WE'LL FIND OUT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER....

LAMBDA CHI'S ARE SWEETHEARTS HERE IN EL PASO!

kdonline
11-02-2002, 10:55 AM
What I wanna know is..

Which version do you all know/play at your parties?

The original Steppenwolf version, which is awesome in itself, or the 90's remix version by Philip Steir - it was in the movie "Go!" (LOVE that soundtrack...) http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif

Mooch279
11-03-2002, 12:59 AM
we use which ever is on hand. bottom line its just a great song:D

texas*princess
11-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Beta Epsilon chapter *always* uses the original version :)

LCA PD 306
11-15-2002, 02:54 AM
Its always been my favorite parts of events we have. My gf, a Phi Mu here, is tiny and she always looks like she's seen a ghost when we all jump around when the song is on, because she thinks she is gonna get crushed.
I remember in Aimes, Iowa last summer for the national leadership conference, at Iowa State Univ, in 2001 they played it during a photo montage and everyone sung along, all 450+ of us.

The part about a famous brother being kicked out and not being recognized by IHQ; Kenny Chesney, country superstar, was a brother and he still isnt recognized by IHQ or in the Pedagogus because he owed back dues..........hehehe

Its good to see all the girls think we are the sweethearts at each school........lets keep it up gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!

chopper816
11-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by LCA PD 306
Its always been my favorite parts of events we have. My gf, a Phi Mu here, is tiny and she always looks like she's seen a ghost when we all jump around when the song is on, because she thinks she is gonna get crushed.
I remember in Aimes, Iowa last summer for the national leadership conference, at Iowa State Univ, in 2001 they played it during a photo montage and everyone sung along, all 450+ of us.

The part about a famous brother being kicked out and not being recognized by IHQ; Kenny Chesney, country superstar, was a brother and he still isnt recognized by IHQ or in the Pedagogus because he owed back dues..........hehehe

Its good to see all the girls think we are the sweethearts at each school........lets keep it up gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE KENNY CHESNEY!!!!! you gotta be kidding me?!?! hes a brother?!?! thats awesome, hes my favorite country star ever! howd you find that out?

JoinerLxa
12-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Ever listen to "Carry On Wayward Son", "Dust in the Wind",
"Point of No Return" and esp. "Fight Fire with Fire" by the
band Kansas????

Once heard the urban myth that members of Kansas were
kicked out of LXA, and their former membership denied by
nationals, for publishing "Carry on Wayward Son".

Listen to "Fight Fire with Fire"...there's an part that starts
with an "evil laugh"...followed by an almost imperceptible
statement....turn down the base, etc. on your stereo and
figure out the phrase that is spoken...might surprise you! ;)

Oh, and to fit on this thread, the Gtown College chapter
does the MCR thing too!

lifesaver
12-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by chopper816

I LOVE KENNY CHESNEY!!!!! you gotta be kidding me?!?! hes a brother?!?! thats awesome, hes my favorite country star ever! howd you find that out?

Hes on the website from one of those chapters, Eastern Tennesee, Eastern Kentucky...something like that. I saw it a few months back.

I dont think the GF does't recognize him. I am sure hes been in the C&C a couple of times, but buried in the back. I think their standard of fame is somewhat arbitrary. Thy'll give Order of Achievement to a brother who discovered soem chemical, but not to one of the biggest country music acts. :rolleyes: Go figure.

Our GHZ...always in step with popular culture, technology and todays undergrad. :rolleyes:

BTW: Didnt I see on here that Jason Boland is a grad of OSU? So yeah, he's abrother too. I did see it on their (OSU's) chap. web site.

phidelta315
12-09-2002, 10:29 AM
I really like the remix version, however it just doesn't have the same long instrumental section which is so useful for throwing your brothers head first into the air!

BREAK THE CEILING!

As far as the significance of the song, sorry ladies but you'll just never know :D

axotiger
12-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by phidelta315
As far as the significance of the song, sorry ladies but you'll just never know :D

:( yes yes, we know:rolleyes: !! My brother is a Lambda Chi... the first time I hung out with them that they played this song, I just kinda stood there with my mouth open. (the whole jumping around like a mosh pit and stripping down to their boxers -- pretty interesting since we were at Mountain Weekend and it was a tad chilly.. but that's an ENTIRELY different story :D ) I asked him about it later, and he just laughed in my face... so I kinda learned that it was somthing that I was never gonna learn. That was 2 years ago, and by now even I get excited when the song comes on!!! Actually, whenever I hear that song (not at a lambda chi thing) I call my brother ... it's usually when I'm drunk, so he makes fun of me.. but oh well!!

MattJackson5
12-09-2002, 11:09 AM
I love MCR myself; but stripping down to boxers during the song...something that I've never seen done before

In ZAX,
Matt

texas*princess
12-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by axotiger

the whole jumping around like a mosh pit and stripping down to their boxers -- pretty interesting since we were at Mountain Weekend and it was a tad chilly.. but that's an ENTIRELY different story :D

Hmm that is definately interesting... I most all the Lambda Chi's I know do the whole mosh-pit thing... however, I have never seen any strip down to their boxers

MattJackson5
12-10-2002, 12:50 AM
That's the beauty of organizations such as ours--we have a knowledge of certain things when it comes to matters of Rituals and all. That's what brings us together within our respective organizations and also brings us together externally with other organizations. College fraternities and sororities alike were spawned from many other elder secret societies and it's very safe to say that all our ceremonies are generally the same and that is exemplified in Lambda Chi Alpha's open rituals and I'm sure it's the same elsewhere.

Sorry to have babbled...I just got that spontaneous urge to chat away:):)

Matt

sirboomLXA
03-31-2003, 11:57 AM
If not already posted if you listen to the words the singer sings of a genie's lamp or something. If you remember at various events such as association, etc. the genie-like lamp you will understand the association of the fraternity to this song. That is my take.

Tom Earp
03-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Nick, there are certain things that are not put out on G C site!

Just a word to the wise.

There was a thread a while back posting the XO or AXO Ritual so they said!

Things having to do with any part of the Indoctronation of any sort is verbotin.

JonoBN41
03-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Genie-schmeenie my butt. It's just a bitchin' cool song that gets everyone going, whatever the fraternity.

Does anyone know who wrote it and if he was in a frat? Just wondering...

In ZAX,
Jono

MattJackson5
03-31-2003, 10:39 PM
One of the brothers in my chapter said that he met one of the Steppenwolf guys and that one of them is a brother and the he wrote the song. People should just stop telling myths like the one about the General Fraternity didn't like it, so they kicked them out. That's just silly because you don't get kicked out for stuff like that--it just brings the brotherhood together more and I was also at General Assembly and saw the presentation where they played the song and everyone had a good time...especially with the picture of John Tesh at the end of it!!. I agree with Jono, it's just a kick-ass song!!

In ZAX,
Matt

Corbin Dallas
04-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Nick, there are certain things that are not put out on G C site!

Just a word to the wise.

There was a thread a while back posting the XO or AXO Ritual so they said!

Things having to do with any part of the Indoctronation of any sort is verbotin.

He's not posting anything that anyone else could guess, since he's an AM Tom, chill :D

ZAX
Steve

EM1843
04-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Actually it kind of bothered me more because he's an AM that he posted that...I know nothing was said, but he doesn't yet know what to say and what not to say...Hopefully he'll learn what is "accepted" to talk about...

Tom Earp
04-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Steve, sorry but it was brought up to me as a poster (LXA) and a Mod!

I have been watching this thread to see if anything is out of the orderary!

We do no know for sure who this person is! Many snakes in the grass so to speak if you watch some of the Greek Threads!

RACooper
04-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by MattJackson5
One of the brothers in my chapter said that he met one of the Steppenwolf guys and that one of them is a brother and the he wrote the song. People should just stop telling myths like the one about the General Fraternity didn't like it, so they kicked them out. That's just silly because you don't get kicked out for stuff like that--it just brings the brotherhood together more and I was also at General Assembly and saw the presentation where they played the song and everyone had a good time...especially with the picture of John Tesh at the end of it!!. I agree with Jono, it's just a kick-ass song!!

In ZAX,
Matt

Not true as far as I know.... I is a simple matter of looking into their Bio... where did they go to school? and did that school have a chapter?

Well the songwriter spent sometime here in Toronto.... but his name does not appear on our roster (I was the Rho)... so I'd have to say that while I lot of guys wish that there was a connection to LCA; i'm 99% sure there isn't.

Tom Earp
04-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Hey Coop how is the hinter land to the Far North of Kansas?

Go Hawks! Had to throw that in. So do youse all play BB in teh frozen Tundra?:D

Glad to see the Brothers or Brother is still hooking along with us Bros. to the South!:cool:

RACooper
04-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Hey Coop how is the hinter land to the Far North of Kansas?

Go Hawks! Had to throw that in. So do youse all play BB in teh frozen Tundra?:D

Glad to see the Brothers or Brother is still hooking along with us Bros. to the South!:cool:

Hawks?

The only Hawks I know is the Blackhawks and their from Chicago....

Hey we play every sport up here.... and some that you haven't heard of or tried :)

On a side note... we just had a snowfall again here on the weekend, after a relatively warm week (12-15C around 60F). It's going to make this weekends I intresting as usual.

MattJackson5
04-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Just to show how speculative it is, there was a counterpoint to my point, sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's almost like the commercial where the kid asks how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? I guess we'll never know.

--Matt

Tom Earp
04-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Coop, Black who?

The Hawks are of Course the U Kansas JayHawks, soon to be the Champions of the NCAA!!!!! I hope!:D

Matt, what the hell are you talking about, and how many licks does it take?:confused: :p

CasperDU173
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I was in the car with one of my brothers when this song came on and he mentioned how his dad was a LXA and that this song was written by a brother so when I got home I decided to reseach it. I guess it is not true.

http://www.crossandcrescent.com/2006/07/carpet-ride-unraveled/

JonoBN41
10-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Does it fall into a part of your ritual, etc etc?

Why would you say "your" ritual? I think you're an imposter.

Don't anyone answer this character!

JonoBN41
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
In response to your PM:

"I'm slighty offended that you'd call me an imposter. I meant the specific ritual of your chapter (I'm sure that each chapter's ritual varies slightly).

(Edited by The Moderator)

...all I can say is, you've GOT to be kidding.

Would you like me to send you an ELC? I think you and your chapter could use one. How come you don't sign your name?

EM1843
10-04-2006, 10:51 PM
"I swear I'm a brother, Per Crucem Crescans!"
Vir Quisque Vir, Xalepa Ta Kala!

I've yet to meet any brother, much less an entire chapter, that doesn't understand MCR.

Delta Phi my brothers, Delta Phi.

Oh, and don't forget, Lambda Lambda Lambda!

JoinerLxa
10-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Jono the watchdog! ha ha! Well I don't think any of you are brothers!
None of you mentioned ZAXO (or is that XAOZ, or XOAZ, or OZAX) as proof!

And who could possibly forget Lambda Lambda Lambda!

Yes, there are differences in ritual from chapter to chapter...like ours
uses the fifth degree of the Eulesian Mysteries, as described as optional
in the High Phi manual....so maybe they do that at Va. Tech!

Probably only those chapters who use the optional Rite of Rene Anjou
of the Order of the Crescent can understand MCR! But I thought
everybody did that one!

:D

Mooch279
10-05-2006, 11:40 AM
obviously, can prove I am a brother.

Turn your head and cough....I'm not falling for that again.....fool me once same on you....fool me twice.....your not going to do it again. :D :D

Seriously do you really think anyone was going to fall for this sad attempt?

Tom Earp
10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Have requested that this poster PM me.

If not, I will delete his post and the post that copied it in their response.

There are certain things that can and cannot be posted.

Thank You all!

lcalbdpzax
11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
None of you mentioned ZAXO (or is that XAOZ, or XOAZ, or OZAX) as proof!

XOAZ

RACooper
11-15-2006, 01:48 PM
It's just a great song that LCA's all seem to identify with... much like Leafs fans do with '50 Mission Cap' from The Tragically Hip... or The Band Played Waltzing Matilda from the Pogues for Aussies and Commonwealth military types... it's one of those iconic songs. Of course there are exceptions - like in those misguided chapters that think country music is good or something :p

And just for you new folks - no, no member of the band was in the Toronto chapter... partied there once or twice, but not in the chapter ;)

bizkiteata5
12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I am lamda chi at umkc, and as far as the song "magic carpet ride" goes, it is definately a nationwide thing. If you are lambda chi you should know why the song has such importance.

Tom Earp
12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey Bro. Welcome to GC and the LXA Thread!

I am in KC Ks and PMed you!:D

PM me and we can via Ma Bell=phone!;)

Have not been over there for awhile.:(

Cube TX
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
It's definitely a worldwide thing (can't say "nation" since we have chapters in Canada).

I remember how a lot of the guys were always screaming the song when it was played at parties... then I remember how many of the guys had the words wrong and didn't realize it (Alex... you moron... the song does NOT say "Three stars away from here!").

Shadowskream459
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
haha Cube, we say that EXACT same thing. The sad thing is, we al know the actual line we've just done it for so long, "three stars" is tradition.

Albert109
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
haha Cube, we say that EXACT same thing. The sad thing is, we al know the actual line we've just done it for so long, "three stars" is tradition.

**The Phi in me smirks a bit.**;)

That tradition has not gotten here, but we're a bit new.

Forgotten Zeta
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Ladies & brother Lamb Chops: Speaking as an alum with some mileage, I can report we've been utilizing this ditty since it was on the Top 40 (circa 1973). As for WHY we use it...well, we can't really mention that, can we?

ZAX,
Bill Foltz
BOZ 130
Illinois State '77

i'm with ya, if you don't know why we play it, you don't pay attention.

PhiTheta337
03-26-2009, 01:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me Truman's Gammma Kappa (initiation number?

Albert109
03-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Gamma Kappa 213

Cube TX
04-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I think Brother Truman died about 16 years before Magic Carpet Ride was written.

Trey_P-I_47
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Well if Steppenwolf didnt have anything to do with LXA, then who are the first guys who got that particular tradition started? I mean someone started it and it really took hold to pretty much be a nationally accepted tradition. Not to mention that song isnt all that old.

Albert109
04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I think Brother Truman died about 16 years before Magic Carpet Ride was written.

I don't think he understood the concept of consistancy of topics within a specific thread.

lifeisfluid
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Gamma Omicron Michigan State knows why and we definitely step it up whenever MCG is played.

docroc67
07-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Brother,
The answer can be found in an old C&C article.
Search there for the truth.
Beware of rumor and myth.
YiZAX,
MJRZU384
YIZKB&7219
11kmab

LCA EY 1441
12-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I know this is an old thread, but Epsilon Upsilon Zeta from Tulsa play the original and know why. I do not know who started the tradition or when, but I do know why. All I can say is watch the video... which is the answer that I assume Brother docroc67 is referring to. Anyway, I love hearing everyone speculate on the origins myth, members of the band, etc. but a good authoritative article on why the song ORIGINALLY had nothing to do with LCA is found here

https://www.jasonpearce.com/2006/07/03/pulling-the-magic-carpet-out-from-under-our-members/

However, just because it may not have originally had anything to do with LCA does not mean that it doesn't now.

Always,
ZAX
Epsilon Upsilon 1441

Tom Earp
01-14-2015, 03:22 PM
The song was really about drug use, funny isn't it that we use it so much now?;)

But it is a song that brings people together in a circle of a bond and I think most Zetas do it! And also, it is a darn fun thing to do at our gatherings!!!:D

All of the wives and girlfriends love to watch it which is COOL!!!!:cool: