PDA

View Full Version : What about my grades and Prefs??

RedandBlack
06-30-2000, 03:07 AM
I had a 3.16 my first year in college and know that I have decided to rush, even though I know that the requirements are lower, does anyone know if I would be cut for having that GPA?

Also, I would like to know what happens after you give your prefs. Does your Rho Chi call you to tell you that you have received a bid from one of your three choices, or do you show up to Bid Day either way??

------------------
Settle for unhappiness and slowly start to die, Hiding in the shadows with ghosts in your eyes, Yeah you're nearly out of time, you've got no reason got no rhyme,
Never too late to change your fate and walk that Narrow Line.

RedandBlack
06-30-2000, 03:15 AM
One more question, I have heard that when some sororities cut you, it is nothing against you, but sometimes some girls aren't as memorable as others. So what can I do to stand out more?

PenguinTrax
06-30-2000, 08:54 AM
Usually the minimum grade requirement for incoming freshman is a 2.5, college students 2.8. These are only guidelines and individual chapters set standards based on their national requirements.

3.16 is a great GPA, don't worry about it.

As far as standing out - the best thing to do is act interested, ask pertinent questions, share things about yourself that show how you would benefit the chapter (grades, leadership, campus activities, maturity, etc.). Don't wear especially loud clothing or a hairstyle that's not really you, just to 'stand out'.

If you are allowed to decorate your nametags, do so tastefully and distinctively - highlight your GPA, hobbies, campus activities, etc. However, be sure to verify that you can decorate your name tag. Some campuses will provide you with a separate tag each day, so this tactic will not work. You can also try wearing an unusual piece of jewelry, maybe something tied in to your hobbies, culture, etc. Just make sure that whatever you do or wear, that it is tasteful and appropriate.

Good luck!
Barbara

-sketchball-
06-30-2000, 10:43 AM
i think your gpa will be fine. depending on where you go to school, that doesn't sound low at all. and rush isn't a highest-gpa contest. sororities use a cut-off, the lowest gpa that their nationals say they can accept. if you clear the cutoff, they don't really look at your gpa anymore. as long as your grades are decent, they look more at your personality & how well you fit with the group, instead of splitting hairs over which rushees have the highest gpa.

bid day is conducted differently at each school, but i'll tell you how it happened at mine. after you signed your pref card, which was on a fri. night, you had to go back to the dorms. you weren't allowed to go out because you weren't supposed to have any contact with the sorority girls before bids were handed out. the next afternoon, rho chis came to your dorm room & gave you an envelope that contained your bid. you open it privately in your room. the bid card had instructions on where to meet the girls to start bid night activities, and instructions on what to wear (they take formal group shots on bid day). you had a few hours to get ready & then you were off to meet your new pledge class!

you asked how you might make yourself stand out during rush. you might wear an interesting piece of jewelry, or a trendy piece of clothing. if you usually wear designer clothes, maybe pick a key piece from the new season that some of the sisters might recognize. the best way to make them remember you is to connect with the sisters during rush conversations. if you find something that you have in common & have a long talk about it, she might remember you better.

[This message has been edited by -sketchball- (edited June 30, 2000).]

SoCalGirl
06-30-2000, 04:18 PM
Don't worry about your GPA. It sounds great.

Bid Day works differently at all schools. But since you're in Georgia I'd guess it works a little like what sketchball wrote.

At my school Pref is Sunday night. Girls rank their choices (#1 and #2) and then go home. But of course that could take a really long time if one house doesn't stand out as a clear fav for the girl.

On Monday all the girls meet at 4:00 with their Rho Chi's. (The dress is casual. Chapters are usually wearing khakis or jeans.) The PX's give out the bids. (I didn't personally go through formal rush but Spring and this was done one on one. So that may be how it's done in the Fall.)

The Rho Chi's are then revealed and meet with their chapter's new pledges. The class is taught a cheer and then they all walk across campus to where the chapter is waiting. As the chapter hears the class coming they return the cheer.

Then the new pledges get Bid Day shirts to match the chapter and tons of pictures are taken. After that the chapters do different things with the new pledges. Could be anything from a huge party to a trip to the beach to a low key pot luck dinner.

If you don't get a bid your Rho Chi contacts you before 11am. From 11am to 1pm you could get a call from a chapter inviting you to join their pledge class. You then decide and let them know. The girls don't know that this could happen so they usually accept the first chapter that they like. But in theory all the chapters could offer a bid this way.

SoCalGirl
06-30-2000, 09:22 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that if you have a common name make sure that the girls you talk find out AND REMEMBER your last name too. One night I think I talked to three Jennifer/Jenn/Jenny's. I had no clue which was which and am pretty sure we probably dropped the wrong girls. If your last name usually gets pronounced wrong work it into the conversation. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

This is where interesting jewelry/clothes can be very important. If you don't somehow get the girl to remember your last name maybe the members will remember Jenny with the moon necklace. They can figure it out from there.