PDA

View Full Version : Joint Rush Party

localsororities
05-17-2000, 06:07 PM

PenguinTrax
05-18-2000, 10:22 AM
My advice to you would be to not do it. By hosting an event with a fraternity, it appears to be a party, not a recruitment event. The members you may gain from an event of this type may be the kind of women you want to continue your sisterhood, but chances are also very good that they will be attracted to the event because of the fraternity, not because of you.

I would recommend holding functions that are geared towards introducing potential members to your chapter and your goals. Get to know them as people. Maybe later on in the recruitment process have a function with a fraternity, but I would make it DRY. After all, these incoming members are mostly freshmen and underage and you do not want a reputation as a party-hearty group.

This is especially true if your goal is to affiliate with a national group at some point in the near future. By following NPC guidelines to some extent, your sorority will get a feel for what it is like to recruit as a national, making the transition from local to national easier on everyone.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

PenguinTrax
05-18-2000, 02:40 PM
I think that if it is small, somewhat structured and dry, that it may work. I would make sure that you have some girls one-on-one time and boys one-on-one time, that way people don't just pair off, socialize and leave without finding out about your organizations.

B.

equeen
05-30-2000, 01:54 PM
One of our first events during the semester is a social gathering, along with a fraternity. It is open to any student in our College of Engineering, as well as Arts and Sciences, and Architecture. It's on our list of rush events, however it's not strictly a rush event because the purpose of the party is to have fun and to get to know others within your major/college...and specifically for the engineering majors, it's a chance to show off our very own student lounge (it's a neat bit of our College Tradition). It's definitely a recruitment tool for both GLOs (we have a sign-in list, and call back people who showed an interest in our GLO, as does the fraternity). It's a nice stepping stone to our rush process -- often we have young women who come to the event, see our fliers, and walk out of the party interested in rushing. I would say definitely go for it! Since you're planning on going national eventually, be careful though of not stepping on any NPC rules...and make sure the fraternity colony is doing the same.

Bottom_Line
06-13-2000, 10:34 AM
Our Fraternity usually has one rush event where we get together with a Sorority and it is always very successful. We find that it helps our rushes (most become pledges) develope relations with Sororities right away which is very useful for us. My university does not let freshman guys to pledge, thus shortening the amount of time that we have in the house. It is also alot of fun for the members too, definately more of a relaxed atmosphere where you have a better chance to get to know your rushes.