PDA

View Full Version : Is a "Pimps and Ho's Party" disrepectful???

phikappapsiman
06-06-2002, 10:38 PM
I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Some brothers want to bring it up to my chapter to have one, but I think that is it disrespectful, and kinda racist. Am I overreacting??? I mean, it's just for fun, but it just seems as if that is playing on bad sterotypes. What do others think??? Have we gotten so P.C. on campus that things like the KA's "Old South" party and the ever popular "Screw your Roommate" party are wrong? What do you think?:confused:

UDaytonChiO
06-06-2002, 10:44 PM
I totally agree with you -sure it's fun to have theme parties but I myself can't see dressing like a "ho" ... I think that it is degrading -I am not one of those psycho feminist people but pimps can be any race (as can hos) but being a pimp doesn't really carry the same connotation. I just don't really see the good of it besides showing some skin... am I wrong?

I also wanted to say we just got phi sig back on campus (after 6 years) and I think they are some of the nicest guys... Dan Patrick from ESPN was one at my school -way to uphold the image!

Unregistered-
06-06-2002, 11:41 PM
To me, it's not really disrespectful. To our Executive Council, it was.

But I can totally understand what you're saying. You're not overreacting at all!

The semester I 'pledged' AGD, the Social Chair wanted to have a Pimp and Hoez party...the idea was nixed by EC...and b/c Risk Management was not approved, we ended up having it as an unofficial party at someone's house. While the majority in attendance were people of Greek affiliation, people ended up bringing guests along. Everyone understood that it was not affiliated with AGD in any way, and whoever wanted to come, came. Whoever was uncomfortable with the idea didn't have to attend, so everyone was happy with the end result.

Personally, I had fun because it was neat seeing everyone and their costumes (because to me, it really was a costume party).

uatheta
06-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Well, I don't really see it as disrespectful. A lot of greeks have that as a social on my campus. It's seen as "dress up" it's not like the boys run around flashing $10 bills in front of your face like you were indeed a "ho". I definetly don't see how it could be considered racist either. I think now a days everything has to be so PC to not upset everyone. I think people need to relax a little and not take everything so seriously, it's college for godsake!

Heather~

Zeta Eta
06-07-2002, 02:03 AM
Every year our campus throws a couple of pimps and ho's parties. They are always great. The girls and guy love to dress up and get hammed. I think if you are going to have a theme party have it as that a theme...don't look too deep into things or your entire social scene will revolve around what is PC and what is not.
Here are some other ideas:
Gangsta Party
Anything for money
Stop Light Party
Jungle

want to know more email me
LJDiaz@scu.edu

Sigma Pi:cool:

SoCalGirl
06-07-2002, 03:40 AM
Maybe it's just my campus, but at the ones I've been to not all the pimps are guys, and not all the hos are girls. ;)

Lots of fun.
I'm not too worried about disrespecting actual pimps and hos!

Kevin
06-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Sounds no worse than the "White Trash Trailer Bash" that I know several different fraternities at different area schools throw.

AOX81
06-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Actually a Pimps & Ho's party was one of the best parties I've been to and had the most fun at.

What the difference between Pimps & Hos and Halloween? Nothing, everyone is dressing up as someone other than who they are in their everyday life.

Try having the girls dress like the Pimps and the guys dress like the Ho's...that is even more funny!!!

thesweetestone
06-07-2002, 09:51 AM
I don't understand how it could be viewed as racist? Every race has Pimps and ho's. That's way it's called the "oldest profession." They are everywhere!

33girl
06-07-2002, 10:17 AM
We had pimps and hos mixers, but only with fraternities we were very close with and socialized with all the time - where we both knew it was a big goof. I would be leery of it with a fraternity I didn't know very well.

ZTAngel
06-07-2002, 10:39 AM
I don't find it offensive. It's actually a really fun social event. :)
The girls who didn't want to participate didn't. And, of course, not a single girl would dress completely trashy.

Dionysus
06-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Maybe it's just my campus, but at the ones I've been to not all the pimps are guys, and not all the hos are girls. ;)

Lots of fun.
I'm not too worried about disrespecting actual pimps and hos!

Okay, now that changes the whole dynamic. It came across that all the guys were the pimps and all the girls were the hoes.
I would have no issue at all being pimp, "pimping" a guy ho! :D

However, I still don't like the title of it. It can give the wrong impression, to the people on the outside looking in.

justhey76
06-07-2002, 11:51 AM
what is a screw your roommate party?

Honeykiss1974
06-07-2002, 01:02 PM
"Pimp's and Ho's party"?? :eek:
" White Trash Trailer Bash"??(how does one "dress up" as this?) :confused:

WTF, have folks lost all creativity when it comes to party themes???? I mean, they do sell books that cater specifically to party themes, backgrounds, etc.

I thought greeks (or maybe its just in BGLO culture) were considered role models and a "cut above"?

Do you think your founders would approve of party themes such as the ones above or is it keeping with the organizations core values and mission?

***shaking head*****

josh8o
06-07-2002, 01:04 PM
pimps and hoes....
i dont think its disrespectful at all, but i hate them. i have never had fun at one, and i have no idea how to dress like a pimp without going out and buying a bunch of stupid crap...lol.

starang21
06-07-2002, 01:06 PM
well, what about the party that DTD threw? "Mekong Delta?" what about that? did anyone think that was a racist party? the guys dressed up as GI's and the girls dressed up as vietnamese hookers. is that racist or ignorant? or what about the delta sigma phi and beta theta pi party at auburn where members dressed up in blackface and KKK garb and made fun of the Ques? or is it all in innocent, good fun?

Dionysus
06-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by josh8o
pimps and hoes....
i dont think its disrespectful at all, but i hate them. i have never had fun at one, and i have no idea how to dress like a pimp without going out and buying a bunch of stupid crap...lol.

It's easy. Just get a wide hat, lime green suit, and a cane! :D

starang21
06-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

WTF, have folks lost all creativity when it comes to party themes???? I mean, they do sell books that cater specifically to party themes, backgrounds, etc.

I thought greeks (or maybe its just in BGLO culture) were considered role models and a "cut above"?

Do you think your founders would approve of party themes such as the ones above or is it keeping with the organizations core values and mission?

***shaking head*****

i share your sentiments honeykiss.

AOX81
06-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by josh8o
pimps and hoes....

Goodwill, Salvation Army, or any Thrift Store. :)

AOX81
06-07-2002, 01:18 PM

***shaking head*****

White Trash Trailer Bash = wife beater t-shirts

We have pictures somewhere of the founders of our chapter involved in a Pimp's & Ho's party and other parties of this sort....so YES I'm sure they would have no problem with us having this type of party. It's all about having fun.

AOX81
06-07-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dionysus

It's easy. Just get a wide hat, lime green suit, and a cane! :D

When I find a picture from one of our parties I will definitely post it. I think I have one with a guy in a lime green suit and a guy in a purple suit with his fiancee (one of my sisters). It is hilarious :)

CutiePie2000
06-07-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by phikappapsiman
I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Some brothers want to bring it up to my chapter to have one, but I think that is it disrespectful, and kinda racist.

Let's face it, the guys probably want to have this kind of party so that the women will dress sexily. I remember in the Bridget Jones movie, they called it a "Vicars and Tarts" party.

I don't have a problem if people want to dress up and look sexy - that's fine. However, I have to say, that I really do not like the word "whore" (i.e. "ho")...I think whore is about the ugliest word you can call a woman, it is up there with the C-word.

Have a sexy dress party, just call it something else, other than "Pimps and Hoes".

XiLovin
06-07-2002, 02:02 PM
I have heard of people using the themes "shorties and 40's" or "players ball" as an alternative. I actually think pimps and hoes is a little extreme. What would the t-shirt look like? It is kind of funny though.

We had a mixer with Phi Delt called "Rags to Ritches" It was great! I really had the best time. Some people had on hillbilly type clothes and some had evening gowns. It went really well. I wore a polo dress with a sweater around my shoulders, pearls, a head band, and brighton sandals. I was the "country club type. I just wanted to suggest that because it went really well!

Honeykiss1974
06-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by AOX81

White Trash Trailer Bash = wife beater t-shirts

We have pictures somewhere of the founders of our chapter involved in a Pimp's & Ho's party and other parties of this sort....so YES I'm sure they would have no problem with us having this type of party. It's all about having fun.

Wife beater t-shirts? i guess a stereotype is in the eye of the beholder....

Anyway, as stated earlier, I do not understand why you would want to associate your letter or orgs with something called those party themes listed earlier. Someone mentioned a party called "Players Ball", which I think is a better name for those that want to throw a "sexy party" (courtesy of CutiePie2000 ;) ).

lovelyivy84
06-07-2002, 02:28 PM

Wife beater t-shirts? i guess a stereotype is in the eye of the beholder....

Anyway, as stated earlier, I do not understand why you would want to associate your letter or orgs with something called those party themes listed earlier. Someone mentioned a party called "Players Ball", which I think is a better name for those that want to throw a "sexy party" (courtesy of CutiePie2000 ;) ).

Whole different Greek culture Honeykiss.

BGLO's could NEVER, EVER, EVER get away with a party like that. It wouldn't be dignified, and we wouldn't put our name on it.

That said, I personally see nothing wrong if a purely social GLO wants to have one. I've been to a pimps and hos party, and it was basically a costume party. Innocent fun I tell ya.

Just not something that I would want my Sorority affiliated with in any way.

AOX81
06-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Here is a few pictures of a few of my friends at a Halloween party. The guy was dressed as a pimp and one of my sorority sisters with him in the picture (his fiancee) was actually part of a group of girls who came as one of the girls from the Moulin Rouge video you see on MTV. If you look down further you can see the Christina wannabe.

By the way I'm the one with the blond afro :D

http://www.geocities.com/onemotherbass/PartyPeoples.html

What is the difference between a Pimp's & Ho's Party and Halloween??? Are you telling me that you have never been to a Halloween party where people went way overboard on their costume?

Lighten up people, don't try to ruin things that others think is fun.

Ideal08
06-07-2002, 02:57 PM
I've never heard of a Pimps and Hoes party!!! That is just hilarioius!!!! But I agree with what's been said about the name, change it. I (the AKA) definitely wouldn't throw it. There's no way. No way.

White Trash Trailer Bash????? WTF? And you wear a wife beater? Everyone? Now this is STR8 out of control right here, lol.

This is hilarious, please, share some more!!!! I guess my school was kinda conservative. I'm feelin a little left out right about now, lol.

lovelyivy84
06-07-2002, 03:00 PM

People were asked for an opinion, and they're going to give one. If you don't agree then disagree but no one is going to censor the opinion they were asked for because it might make you feel guilty.

AOX81
06-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lovelyivy84

People were asked for an opinion, and they're going to give one. If you don't agree then disagree but no one is going to censor the opinion they were asked for because it might make you feel guilty.

Last time I checked I thought I did disagree and I thought I did give my opinion. What the hell would I feel guily for? :rolleyes:

I didn't ask your organization to throw this sort of party and I didn't tell them to stop having them...so what is the problem? What I meant my comment is that people shouldn't jump down other people's backs because of a type of party that they throw. Every organization is different...

phikappapsiman
06-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by justhey76
what is a screw your roommate party?

Well, the tame version is quite simple. You just invite a date for your roommate (can't be their girlfriend or boyfriend), and vice versa. Now, there are varying themes on this, some not so nice, which I will not comment on:( But a fun variation of this is a "suitcase party". What this is that all the house members contribute money and buy two airline tickets to a weekend getaway (for us, somewhere like L.A. or Reno or even Las Vegas). Then, during the party, there is a drawing, and the lucky couple has to leave RIGHT AWAY for the trip!!! It can be kinda fun for a weekend diversion, and if the person you're with is the adventuresome type, it's not so bad...;)

dzsaigirl
06-07-2002, 11:58 PM
We have never had pimp and ho at UofH but when I was at SMU they had it and I went once. It was pretty stupid. And some people really did dress nasty. They were trying to outlaw it since date rapes were occurring and stuff.

lovelyivy84
06-08-2002, 12:14 AM

I personally have no problem with these kinds of parties, as long as my org's name isn't attached. I've been to one and had fun, no problem. Anybody can do what they feel like doing.

Maybe you meant that people shouldn't attack, but the way you phrased this it really came across to me 'if you don't like these parties then don't say it because you'll ruin other people's good time.' I don't care about the issue one way or another, but if someone else doesn't like it they have just as much of a right as you do to say so.

All the attitude was not even necessary. Check thyself por favor.

RUgreek
06-08-2002, 04:37 AM
These party ideas are original and unique. I agree that things have gotten out of control to remain PC to all groups of people, whether they are the pimps or the hos:) Have the mixer or party, it sounds to me just like any ol' costume party, what exactly is the harm in that?

P.S. Post some pics too, people always come up with the greatest ideas for these new themes!

- RUgreek

ROWDYsister
06-08-2002, 05:35 AM
The first social we had when I was pledging was "Mobsters and Mistresses" which was basically "Pimps and Ho's of the Roaring 20's." It was funny that it snuck past Panhellenic radar, b/c when you think about it it was pretty ho-ish. Fishnets and boas for the girls, the guys get to look dignified in pinstripe. :D

Silverblue
06-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Thank goodness this theme wasn't popular when I was in college in the late 1980s. I never would have gone to a mixer with such a title. My chapter has never had one, nor do I think it would, but last year, the chapter I ranked second on my bid card did. I was shocked and very glad I hadn't joined that organization. This is a perfect example of why Greeks have a bad image.

lilsnakeyk
06-08-2002, 05:30 PM
We've done a Reverse Pimp and Ho's party. It's sooooooo much better that way. The guys get all dressed up in drag, and so do we. I think that the guys almost have more fun that way, or at least they acted like they did. (But be sure that those pictures didn't make it to their rush scrapbook;) )

-Lil Snakey K

navane
06-09-2002, 02:25 AM
I would never participate in a "Pimps and Hoes" party. Never.

......Kelly :)

Virtual Violet
06-09-2002, 10:15 AM
I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Some brothers want to bring it up to my chapter to have one, but I think that is it disrespectful, and kinda racist. Am I overreacting??? I mean, it's just for fun, but it just seems as if that is playing on bad sterotypes. What do others think??? Have we gotten so P.C. on campus that things like the KA's "Old South" party and the ever popular "Screw your Roommate" party are wrong? What do you think?:confused:

Ummmm.....YES its disrespectful. Not only the implication that pimps and hos denote a specific race (hence that it would be "kinda racist") (we all know prostitution is an equal opportunity business!), but as a woman, I wouldn't be caught dead portraying a "ho".

You have to remember the entire pimp/ho dynamic includes illegal activity and physical, mental and drug abuse of the prostitute to have her remain in the "stable". Yes, some prostitutes act voluntarily, but most stories include some sort of control to keep the money rolling in.

With that being said, I think the entire theme is disrespectful because of the connotations in that world, and isn't something to be trivialized in a party, even in the "reverse". (men as hos, women as pimps)

phikappapsiman
06-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Virtual Violet

Ummmm.....YES its disrespectful. Not only the implication that pimps and hos denote a specific race (hence that it would be "kinda racist") (we all know prostitution is an equal opportunity business!), but as a woman, I wouldn't be caught dead portraying a "ho".

You have to remember the entire pimp/ho dynamic includes illegal activity and physical, mental and drug abuse of the prostitute to have her remain in the "stable". Yes, some prostitutes act voluntarily, but most stories include some sort of control to keep the money rolling in.

With that being said, I think the entire theme is disrespectful because of the connotations in that world, and isn't something to be trivialized in a party, even in the "reverse". (men as hos, women as pimps)

Thank You, Virtual Violet, and everyone who has commented either for or against such a party. I realize that what Violet says is what I felt for myself about this party, and it isn't something that I want my group associated with. It may be fine for others, and that's their choice, but there are so many other fun themes out there that are not nearly as controversial so we really don't need this at my house. Thanks everyone for your input-it is really appreciated!

Virtual Violet
06-09-2002, 01:17 PM

Thank You, Virtual Violet, and everyone who has commented either for or against such a party. I realize that what Violet says is what I felt for myself about this party, and it isn't something that I want my group associated with. It may be fine for others, and that's their choice, but there are so many other fun themes out there that are not nearly as controversial so we really don't need this at my house. Thanks everyone for your input-it is really appreciated!

You're welcome!

counting
06-09-2002, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by phikappapsiman
I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Some brothers want to bring it up to my chapter to have one, but I think that is it disrespectful, and kinda racist. Am I overreacting???

You are not overreacting??

"Pimps and Hos" party are disrespectful:mad: :mad:

Because every woman that participates in this party will be consider a ho. That is disrespectful to every woman.

VOTE NO FOR THE PARTY.

RUgreek
06-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Pimps and Ho's is racist? Are you people serious? Get real, I have never heard of this crap before. Ok, since it has a racist connection, care to fill me in on what race you are talking about and what's your proof?

I can see how the title is offensive and shocking, but if it was called something like "Sexy Dress Up Costume Mixer" would there be a difference if people came dressed like pimps and ho's? Damn, I'd think when you join the greek system, some of you would learn to be a little loose and not so conservative. You'll have plenty of time to get old and freaked out like my grandparents...

Drop me an invite for your wine and cheese mixers, ok?

phikappapsiman
06-10-2002, 12:51 AM
First off, I don't need "proof" to have an opinion. But since SOME of you seem to think that by showing repect to others who may be offended by such an event is a sign of conservatism, and not respect, I will try to explain my point of view.

How is a "pimps and hos party" racist? Well, I can ONLY SPEAK FOR ME, as to how I can see it as being racist. As an African-American male, I do not find that portraying a Pimp is anything that I consider either entertaining or fun. To me, and JUST TO ME, the racial connotations that go with being a pimp are not any that I see as positive. Maybe other ethnic groups see it as no big deal, but that is one sterotype that I don't need to enact. I have yet to see a Pimp portrayed in the media or in Hollywood as anything but an African-American male without any redeeming qualities, so yes, I do find it disrespectful, racist, and not needed. Who knows? Maybe there are White pimps, Asian pimps, Hispanic pimps, whatever out there, but I have yet to see one (except for Heidi Fleiss, and I guess you couldn't really call her a pimp). Am I being oversensitive? Perhaps. But it is not a matter of being politically correct-it's a matter of pride and self-respect. As for ho's- I wouldn't want my wife or girlfriend or daughter or sister dressing like a ho at any time. Again, this is just my opinion...If others feel that their organization should do it, and nothing is wrong with it- fine, that is their choice. I only hope that if other individuals or groups on their campus found out about it, that person or group would at least have the courage to call them on it to have them explain how such an event reflects positively upon greek life.

NewGirl
06-10-2002, 01:08 AM
At Florida State, the law school had a pimps and hoes party at a bar near campus... well, it was all in good fun. But.. other campus groups found out about such as the naacp and other ones.. and it was in the papers.. all of them about this party and everyone got mad. Personally, yes they could be offensive and other ways it could be a good time. i think it depends on how people take it.
-ashley

Peaches-n-Cream
06-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Yes it is disrespectful. I wouldn't do it.

SATX*APhi
06-10-2002, 02:54 AM
One of the fraternities back at school had a Pimps and Hoes Party. The following week, the school paper had pictures on the front cover. Well, the editor-in-chief was almost removed from his position because he allowed these perfectly decent photos to be placed in our school paper. (BTW, I go to a private, Catholic university) Sooo, I guess it all depends on who, what, where, when, etc.

thesweetestone
06-10-2002, 03:06 AM
I have yet to see a Pimp portrayed in the media or in Hollywood as anything but an African-American male without any redeeming qualities, so yes, I do find it disrespectful, racist, and not needed. Who knows? Maybe there are White pimps, Asian pimps, Hispanic pimps, whatever out there, but I have yet to see one (except for Heidi Fleiss, and I guess you couldn't really call her a pimp).

Ho's and pimps have nothing to do with race. Don't allow people to label you or your race as something you are not. Pimps and ho's are a part of all cultures and races. Hollywood is hollywood. Hollywood is not real life. Pimps are not exclusively black. Blacks are not exclusively pimps and ho's. No one race has a monopoly on that. :D

AOX81
06-10-2002, 11:27 AM
All the attitude was not even necessary. Check thyself por favor.

There was no attitude. I was just responding to a post.

Check thyself? Who made you all high and mighty?

Anyway, have a great day everyone :)

starang21
06-10-2002, 02:35 PM
but who do these people get their inspiration from? who do they imitate? yes, this type of party can be seen as racist.

dzrose93
06-10-2002, 03:10 PM
We had one at my school... but it was called "Deer Hunters and Their Wives"... guys in camoflauge and the girls in curlers, housecoats, etc.

It was fun, and I don't think anyone was offended.

Serenity
06-10-2002, 04:21 PM
I would never participate in one of these parties. I just could not bring myself to do it. NOT AT ALL. In my neighborhood, calling someone a hoe is fighting words. :mad: I don't know anyone who would feel comfortable enough to step into a sorority/fraternity party in "hoe gear" :eek: just cuz everyone else thought it was cool/funny/acceptable. But hey, to each his own.

If organizations really want to have a party and dress up in this manner, then they should simply come up with a better name than "Pimps and Hoes". IMO, that theme lacks creativity and is just plain tacky.

RUgreek
06-11-2002, 02:57 AM
I guess I'm living on planet x because I sincerely do not see a distinct association with pimps and hoes to the african-american or any other specific group as people are commenting. I don't mean to be disrespectful to any group, but I suppose I didn't face these types of problems being in such a multi-cultural fraternity. Our brotherhood, I can safely say, hit every ethnic group during my time there. Sure we'd joke around and make tasteless jokes, but nothing was ever disrespectful to any person or group.

Having said that, I think everyone here is only upset with this theme because the title is shocking. I saw it as short and catchy; some of you saw it as racist and disrespectful. I apologize if I offended anyone with my opinions, but I can't seem to figure out what it is that triggers in your mind those words as racist. I must of missed those movies, cause I've seen whorehouses, postitutes, and yes, the pimps portrayed by all types of people (what a lovely subject we've gotten into here).

Anyways, I can understand now that just people and cultures are more or less sensitive to different things for different reasons. But let me ask this, if someone like me, who never had intentions of offending a group and my house had such a party and everyone had a great time dressing up and partying, how are we being disrespectful? Because I don't think it's fair to automatically assume something is being disrespectful unless the people doing it are intending that sort of reaction. Just my thought, and I think that's the thought of the people who throw these parties. Otherwise, what kind of fun is it to have a party that gets people upset?

- RUgreek

Dove Gal
06-11-2002, 08:37 AM
As myself being a African American I can see where phikappapsiman is coming from. Even though hollywood is hollywood and yes African Amercians have gotten a bad name from being pimps. Don't just look at moveis, look at the media, and enteraniers such as rappers that portray themselves as being pimps and proud of it. I might be going out on a limb here but I think that some of you might just focus on the movie aspect with pimps and hoes theme.

I remember a few years ago on HBO (I think). They had this special about the pimp of the year. For those who have never heard it let me explain. Every year in Chicago all the pimps come out with their hoes to Chicago. The pimps are dressed up in alligator shoes flashy 70's pimped out suits. Gold chains, wathces, rings, and anything else you can think of. Some of these pimps will also bring their cars. I mean these cars are nice, I will give them that. But basically the pimp of the year is the one who has the most hoes (females), money, and the best style of dress. This event is very disrespectful to all females sometimes by they way these feamles are portrayed. Because they are hardly wearing any clothes, heck most of the time they are not wearing anything but their birthday suit. :mad: The bad thing about this is, that some of these rappers are there known for their pimpin lyrics are there helping to support this event. :mad: The thing that makes me the maddest is that about 99% of these pimps and hoes (females) are African American! Yes, there is about 1% that is a minority in this field. Wheter they are Asian, Latino, white, or it is a female pimp. They are considered a minority in the pimpin lifestyle. That is why African Americans get a bad rap for being known as pimps. This is only how I feel about it. Not all African Americans feel the same way I do, this is just how I feel. I cannot speak for all African Americans, just myself.

That is why I will never undrestand how any female would be able to go to a mixers with the pimps and hoes theme. I feel that we as females are being degraded. The way I think about is that how these pimps got all their money and material things were from a women who go out and do sexual acts for money! When they go back to their pimp they get majority of their money. For all the hard work they did.

I will never support a theme like this.

Sigma Kappa
One Heart, One way

RUgreek
06-11-2002, 11:00 AM
Ok, one last thing I want to say here. I realize the first thing people do is relate Pimp=Male and Ho=Female, but this is a greek party theme, remember... If it was the guys dressing as the hoe's (I believe Gigalo is the PC term) and the ladies were dressed as the pimps (i.e. Madame's) is it still disrespectful? Because I gotta tell you, and maybe this would have been better to point out earlier, but everyone goes to this party however they want, and that's what makes it hilarious and fun for all.

Nobody said you had to be one-sided and not creative; that's the whole point of an original party event. All things being equal, everyone can dress however they choose. Not all ho's must dress a specific way, it's open to anyone's interpretation. Break the barriers of stereotypes and just make something wild and fun for everyone.

- RUgreek

lovelyivy84
06-11-2002, 11:47 AM

There was no attitude. I was just responding to a post.

Check thyself? Who made you all high and mighty?

Anyway, have a great day everyone :)

All those lovely eye rolls were not necessary. If you want anyone to take your posts seriously you should show the respect you're given.

But obviously I'm wasting my time here.

AOX81
06-11-2002, 12:30 PM

All those lovely eye rolls were not necessary. If you want anyone to take your posts seriously you should show the respect you're given.

But obviously I'm wasting my time here.

First of all I don't really care if you or anyone disagrees with my opinion.

Second, yes, obviously you are wasting your time here. I'm not here to change your opinion and you are definitely not going to change mine.

"All those lovely eye rolls? I did it once...give me a friggin' break.

Have a nice day :)

Dionysus
06-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Take it outside girls :), anyways back on topic......

After reading these additional posts, I am going back to my origional opinion. P&H parties are disrespectful. Ya know, think of someone having a "Master and Slave Party". I think the two are on a similar wavelengths. Some things just aren't necessary imitating.

thesweetestone
06-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Take it outside girls :), anyways back on topic......

After reading these additional posts, I am going back to my origional opinion. P&H parties are disrespectful. Ya know, think of someone having a "Master and Slave Party". I think the two are on a similar wavelengths. Some things just aren't necessary imitating.

Wrong!! Even if most pimps and ho's were black a p&h party is not disrespectful to blacks. Basically because prostitution is not tradition or a value that black people hold dear to them. A black person might have coined the term but hoes have been around since the beginning of time. From what it sounds like a p&h party is just a 70's party.

Dionysus
06-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by thesweetestone

Wrong!! Even if most pimps and ho's were black a p&h party is not disrespectful to blacks. Basically because prostitution is not tradition or a value that black people hold dear to them. A black person might have coined the term but hoes have been around since the beginning of time. From what it sounds like a p&h party is just a 70's party.

Huh? :confused:

I think you missed my point. I'm not talking about P&H in relation of African Americans. I'm talking about it in relation of oppression and disrespect to women.

The point I am trying to make is that IMO having a P&H party is almost as disrespectful to women, as having a "Master and Slave" parties is disrespectful to blacks. I just used that as an analogy and example. Catch my drift?

Think about the Auburn University incident, last Halloween. Their event was "supposedly" to be a fun thing, according to them, that is.

thesweetestone
06-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Still slaves and hoes are very different. No woman is born into prostitution. Prostitution is not nationally legal. Woman have a choice slaves didn't. Women have rights slaves didn't. I don't see a comparion. Sorry.

Dionysus
06-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by thesweetestone
Still slaves and hoes are very different. No woman is born into prostitution. Prostitution is not nationally legal. Woman have a choice slaves didn't. Women have rights slaves didn't. I don't see a comparion. Sorry.

What does being born/legalizing/choosing have to do with this?

Some are reading way to deep into this. My above comment was general/blanket comparing.

nube one
06-11-2002, 01:43 PM
For those that claim a "pimps and hoes" party is in essence a "70's" party, what culture are the partygoers dressed like? "That 70's show" or "The Mack"? My point is that many African-Americans, including myself, may consider that lampooning a particular population who constantly combat negative and unfair images of themselves daily.

Shelacious
06-11-2002, 01:45 PM
I have to ask this...

I don't think P.C. should have to extend to things your chapter/organization has as a tradition: as far as I'm aware, KA's "Old South" event is a long-standing tradition within their Order.

A Pimps and Hos party--I doubt it's listed within your organization's "traditions". It has little to do with political correctness--it has to do with "everything that comes out of your mouth does not make it automatically cool." I say stuff all the time that when I think about it in hindsight, it wasn’t such a great thing to say. Just because someone thought it would be cute to have a Pimps and Hos party doesn't mean therefore that it's "all good" to have one. The name is offensive. A Pimp is a man that sells women for sex, usually on a street corner. Most pimps are at best misogynistic. A ho, in this instance, is a woman who sells her body to men she doesn't know for money. I would daresay guess that most women who are hos hate being hos, and would do anything to get out of the game. One can "titter, titter" about putting on ho-gear and Zoot suits if one wants, but just understand that people have every right to put the chapter on blast for hosting one. Out of all the names for costume parties we can think of (and some folks in this thread had some really cute ones), this one is supposed to be funny?

I’m not even close to being the most PC person, and I know you can't (and I don’t try to) please everybody all the time, but why would one to appear to go out of ones way to offend some folks? So my short answer to the question is: there are lots of other social themes that would have the same result (scantily dressed women/or folks in drag as desired) but not potentially show up on the front page of the college newspaper—find another theme.

Kevin
06-11-2002, 01:46 PM
People make simple topics so damned academic!

It's a party.

I don't think you could possibly say this is the same is a slave/master party... that's just WAAAY too much of a stretch.

I don't think the purpose of the party is to celebrate a lifestyle -- just to dress up in ridiculous outfits and have a good time.

The key here is "ridiculous".

Honeykiss1974
06-11-2002, 02:33 PM
What's interesting here is that some members of GLO's are fine with having their greek letters, reputation, house, etc associated with having a "Pimps and Hos" party (knowing full well the negative connotations associated with the term pimp's and ho's - thanks Shelaciou for breaking down the meaning of each ) and are not the least bit worried about the image that they are portraying to GDI's, faculty, or university. But yet go over to the "MTV and Sororities" thread and you will find these same folks hootin' and hollerin' about how this sorority will make them all look bad! You can't have it both ways. If you consider it a priviliage to be greek, then act it! Why would it be fun to associate yourself or org with a lifestyle that is degrading to all parties involved?

Dionysus
06-11-2002, 02:44 PM
What's interesting here is that some members of GLO's are fine with having their greek letters, reputation, house, etc associated with having a "Pimps and Hos" party (knowing full well the negative connotations associated with the term pimp's and ho's - thanks Shelaciou for breaking down the meaning of each ) and are not the least bit worried about the image that they are portraying to GDI's, faculty, or university. But yet go over to the "MTV and Sororities" thread and you will find these same folks hootin' and hollerin' about how this sorority will make them all look bad! You can't have it both ways. If you consider it a priviliage to be greek, then act it! :p

I agree. Fraternities already have the rep of being misogynistic, and sororities already have the rep of being "loose". Having such themes will only reinforce those inane stereotypes to GDIs.

ROWDYsister
06-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Shelacious

I don't think P.C. should have to extend to things your chapter/organization has as a tradition: as far as I'm aware, KA's "Old South" event is a long-standing tradition within their Order.

A Pimps and Hos party--I doubt it's listed within your organization's "traditions". It has little to do with political correctness--it has to do with "everything that comes out of your mouth does not make it automatically cool." I say stuff all the time that when I think about it in hindsight, it wasn’t such a great thing to say. Just because someone thought it would be cute to have a Pimps and Hos party doesn't mean therefore that it's "all good" to have one. The name is offensive. A Pimp is a man that sells women for sex, usually on a street corner. Most pimps are at best misogynistic. A ho, in this instance, is a woman who sells her body to men she doesn't know for money. I would daresay guess that most women who are hos hate being hos, and would do anything to get out of the game. One can "titter, titter" about putting on ho-gear and Zoot suits if one wants, but just understand that people have every right to put the chapter on blast for hosting one. Out of all the names for costume parties we can think of (and some folks in this thread had some really cute ones), this one is supposed to be funny?

I’m not even close to being the most PC person, and I know you can't (and I don’t try to) please everybody all the time, but why would one to appear to go out of ones way to offend some folks? So my short answer to the question is: there are lots of other social themes that would have the same result (scantily dressed women/or folks in drag as desired) but not potentially show up on the front page of the college newspaper—find another theme.

The voice of reason--Shelacious. It's not a hard choice...if you have your heart set on this theme, just change the name and focus. Make it cutesy. If you want people to dress in 70's gear, make it a 70's party. If you want the fedoras and zoot suits, make it a 20's party. (I don't know if that's right, but you get me). I personally don't find this theme shocking anymore b/c it's been around (though I am not saying that just because something has been around for a long time it should not be reevaluated) and by this point I am desensitized to party themes...they're just ridiculous themes meant to inspire even more ridiculous costumes. It may be "all in good fun" but if someone within good reason finds it offensive, then just alter it enough to make everyone comfortable with it. Having a theme with an offensive name is more trouble than it's worth.

Serenity
06-11-2002, 04:28 PM
What's interesting here is that some members of GLO's are fine with having their greek letters, reputation, house, etc associated with having a "Pimps and Hos" party (knowing full well the negative connotations associated with the term pimp's and ho's - thanks Shelaciou for breaking down the meaning of each ) and are not the least bit worried about the image that they are portraying to GDI's, faculty, or university. But yet go over to the "MTV and Sororities" thread and you will find these same folks hootin' and hollerin' about how this sorority will make them all look bad! You can't have it both ways. If you consider it a priviliage to be greek, then act it! Why would it be fun to associate yourself or org with a lifestyle that is degrading to all parties involved?

Oh ~ for a minute there, I thought I was the only one who noticed. But like I said before, to each his own.

Question: Are T-shirts made up with these themes?

I know when I was in school, the greeks had t-shirts made for their mixers/parties/events. Some of them were soooooooo cute and very funny, not to mention creative. Just curious.

valkyrie
06-11-2002, 05:09 PM

Well said, and I agree. I certainly don't think that the founders of Alpha Phi, for example, were sitting around thinking that it would be a good idea to do anything like a "Pimps and Hos" party. Yes, NPC organizations are thought of as "social" organizations, but the original aim of my organization was to build women up, not tear them down and degrade them -- and I think that is the case with most, if not all, women's GLOs.

For those who are saying that it's all in fun and they should be able to do whatever they want -- I guess I don't understand why you need to have this type of party sponsored by your GLO. If you, as a woman, want to dress up as a whore, why not just do it? Why get your organization involved at all? Is it because you know that it's actually not a very classy thing to do, and you need a "stamp of approval" of your organization's name on it? Would you be too embarrassed to dress up as a whore on your own, without a sorority sponsored event and without a bunch of your friends doing it too?

I really don't understand why women want to portray themselves as hos, even for a night. Why is that fun? And by the way, I'm no prude and am all for being sexy and dressing up, but I don't see why anyone wants to "play ho" for a night.

starang21
06-11-2002, 05:26 PM

Think about the Auburn University incident, last Halloween. Their event was "supposedly" to be a fun thing, according to them, that is.

it's funny becuase people are trying to forget that that particular incident never happened. or some people don't even know wha it was. yes, a pimp and ho party is just as ignorant as that one was.

FuzzieAlum
06-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Yes, we had a pimps and hos mixer when I was in school, and it was the BEST mixer I ever went to. Ours was a "reverse" mixer where the guys were the hos and we were the pimps. For once guys got a taste of wearing nylons and high heels and makeup.

I don't see race as being involved. No one in either group made an effort to look like a different race - the white girls dressed up as white pimps, the Asian men as Asian hos, etc.

Nevertheless, the school has subsequently banned that theme from Greek events.

I could see that, depending on the folks involved, it could get out of hand. And if we hadn't done role-reversal, I'm not sure I would have gone for it. I have no desire to have my sorority captured on film as "hos."

legacypbs
06-30-2002, 11:12 AM
My frat throughs a Playa's Ball . It is usually off the hook. Some guys dress as playa's & come w/ women & some women dress as playa's & come w/ guys. You usually give an award for best dressed too.

Pike4Life
07-01-2002, 10:34 AM
I think my chapter had the first "Pimps n' Ho's" social waaaay back in '95. It was with Phi Mu, and IT WAS A BLAST!!!! The women loved the party and had a GREAT time with the costumes.

A lot of people came in "reverse" dress (guys dressed as ho's, girls as pimps), but even more came dressed according to their gender.

And yes, there was a t-shirt. In fact, it was one of the most popular t-shirts we ever had. The picture showed a zoot-suited guy leaning on a fin-tailed Caddy, and a mini-skirted lady leaning on a street light. The caption was "We say when, where and how much!"

If I can ever remember, I'll try to dig out some pictures from the party to scan, as well as the tshirt, to try to post.

The chapter tried to continue the social as a tradition, but over the years, the politicially correctness has altered it a bit. It's been called the "Pretty Woman Party," the "Red Light Mixer," the "Playz & Divas" social. I'm not sure if the chapter today continues to have the social or not. I do know that it became more of a "crush party" for the chapter...where guys invited a number of girls from all sororities as well as GDI's instead of having one particular sorority cosponsor it - that way, no sorority names or letters were on the shirts.

Swamp Thang
07-01-2002, 10:50 AM
Their are pimps in every race and melanin color in the spectrum.. BUT ONLY THE AFRICAN AMERICAN PIMPS dress OUTLANDISHLY COLORFULLY (in line with how people dress in the theme of the party).

Some of your white pimps (like the owner of the legal Mustang Ranch) dress very conservatively.

The Italian pimps dress in fine, custom tailored Italian suits.

But, I bet no one at the party dressed as a pimp will dress consevatively or in a tailored Italian suit.

They will most likely be dressed as the steriotypical flamboyant Black Pimp.

All hoes have pretty much the same dress code across the racial board... Trashy for the street walker.. classy for the pro escort.

Pi Kapp 142
07-07-2002, 10:13 PM
We call them gangster wedding and throw condoms at the "bride and groom" who are the 2 with the best costumes. We just keep it to a very thirties Mafioso theme, with girls dressed like floppers and malls. Think movies like "The Untouchables" and stuff like that. The roaring twenties.

kd_girl96
07-09-2002, 01:20 AM
I don't think it's disrespectful, however.... after reading the newspaper article about the "pimps and ho's" party at... Nebraska I think... somethings have been carried too far.. Something that seems fine to you or me today, can be "turned up a notch" year after year untill it does go too far and someone gets hurt... or worse..... killed.

Just think about what you do today.... and imagine what it could turn into in 5 or even 10 years.

Em

ROWDYsister
07-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by kd_girl96
I don't think it's disrespectful, however.... after reading the newspaper article about the "pimps and ho's" party at... Nebraska I think... somethings have been carried too far.. Something that seems fine to you or me today, can be "turned up a notch" year after year untill it does go too far and someone gets hurt... or worse..... killed.

Just think about what you do today.... and imagine what it could turn into in 5 or even 10 years.

Em

Whoa, what happened? :confused:

kd_girl96
07-09-2002, 01:48 AM
I don't remember the article well enough to quote it exactly... but recenly at our National Leadership Confrence The Speaker on hazing showed us slides of about 20 diffrent incidents. One was the pimps and ho's party...... There were other examples of events gone bad, there was one story of a girl getting raped... another of a guy (who was forced to drink) fell off a balcony and is now a Quadraplegic.

I am all for people having fun.. but you want to make sure EVERYONE is having fun... willingly.... and respectfully.

Em

nyrdrms
07-11-2002, 09:35 AM
In my opinion, a pimp and ho party can be respectful, it all depends on the behavior of the two organizations participating. Just because you're dressed that way, doesn't mean you have to act like it!

FHwku
07-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by nyrdrms
In my opinion, a pimp and ho party can be respectful, it all depends on the behavior of the two organizations participating. Just because you're dressed that way, doesn't mean you have to act like it!

true that. you're supposed to dress up like pimps and hos, not act like 'em.

I ran into an older ADPi who told me that we'd had a "White Trash Bash" with them a 2 years ago. She said it was a blast.

I don't think either theme becomes grossly offensive until people start acting the part. just like a pirate themed party would be fun and games...until some scurvy landlover is forced to walk the plank. arrrrr.

DGPhoney
07-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Well I see nothing wrong with a Pimp's and Ho parties. LIke someone mentioned, who says it has to be the girl who is the ho and the guy who is the pimp. I mean really anyone can be a Pimp and a ho regardless of sex.
As for a Pimp and Ho party being racisis. Hmm, I am a little lost, cause really like I said before any one race can have ho's and pimps. True some people take the party to the stereotypical view which is where things go wrong. But till then I see nothing wrong with the theme, It's fun and harmless. all fun and games folks
as always just my two cents
DGP~Honey~

allgreek2me
07-12-2002, 06:33 PM
When I was in college we had everything from a "Ghetto" (aka Friday) themed party to "Country Club" (aka Caddyshack) to the Dukes of Hazard where half the girls wore Daisy Dukes. Looking back I can see how they weren't the most PC events to put on and while I am not trying to justify it with the media, but nothing we participated in was in blatant direspect of a particular culture. Everyone has a different viewpoint on things.

For example, while I was in school a particular "socially conscious" group was up in arms about the Kappa Sigs Independence Party. At UT, the Kappa Sigs put on a Texas Independence party every March to celebrate....Texas' Independence from Mexico. Only instead of being Texans, they're Mexicans. They hang up Mexican flags outside of their house, serve 'Ritas & Fajitas the day before the big party and all of the pledges were sombreros. Are they making fun of the Mexican culture? Hardly! In the sixties & seventies, the Kappa Sig house used to be directly across from the UT Tower. Every year for Texas Independence the Texas Cowboys would fire up 'Ol Smokey (the cannon) in the direction of the Kappa Sig house. Tradition says that one year the Kappa Sigs came out of the house and windows with white flags to get the Cowboys to stop firing the cannon - surrendering (like the Mexicans did to the Texans)....only these guys wanted to go back to sleep and stop firing the cannon!

While this party may be an exception to the PC etiquette, I do believe some Political Correctness has gotten out of hand. A good rule of thumb is if you don't want to see your event in the press or embarass your mother, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

prophet
07-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Who are we suppose to be disrespecting dressing like a pimp and a ho? Not my people, because my people aren't into that life style. Now, if your's are into that life and you get hurt becuase we make fun and have fun at those that participate in that shit for real money making purpose, that's your hate and not mine. We do it for fun, nobody gets hurt, and it is totaly wrong to put this kind of fun in the same catogory as the Auburn delta sigs and betas party. They did it out of racist hatred towards blacks. We do it for fun and if a pimp and ho dislike this, email me pleaseeee. If a girl does not like this, why? Are you a ho in disguise? Who said it was only a girl who dresses like a ho? Shit, next party I was gonna dress like the ho and have my girl dress as a madame(lady pimp 4 y'all not to familiar wit the game;) ) It is just another party with another party theme. Like any other party you do it to have fun, but atleast we are not targeting a class and making fun. What about Doctor/Nurse parties? What is the difference? People come showing skin:eek: and play their role till the end of the party. If you have a real problem with this type of party, people you should not of joined a SOCIAL org. Maybe you shouldn't even join a community ser. and honor soc. because I heard they have some crazy parties. J/k if you have a problem just don't go, but I'll bet....you'll miss out on some FUN. To many real things to worry about.
-Heath
[B][COLOR=darkred]FKT

Optimist Prime
09-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by FHwku

I don't think either theme becomes grossly offensive until people start acting the part. just like a pirate themed party would be fun and games...until some scurvy landlover is forced to walk the plank. arrrrr.

that is the funniest thing i've heard all day :D

sigtau305
10-08-2002, 08:39 PM
First off, I don't need "proof" to have an opinion. But since SOME of you seem to think that by showing repect to others who may be offended by such an event is a sign of conservatism, and not respect, I will try to explain my point of view.

How is a "pimps and hos party" racist? Well, I can ONLY SPEAK FOR ME, as to how I can see it as being racist. As an African-American male, I do not find that portraying a Pimp is anything that I consider either entertaining or fun. To me, and JUST TO ME, the racial connotations that go with being a pimp are not any that I see as positive. Maybe other ethnic groups see it as no big deal, but that is one sterotype that I don't need to enact. I have yet to see a Pimp portrayed in the media or in Hollywood as anything but an African-American male without any redeeming qualities, so yes, I do find it disrespectful, racist, and not needed. Who knows? Maybe there are White pimps, Asian pimps, Hispanic pimps, whatever out there, but I have yet to see one (except for Heidi Fleiss, and I guess you couldn't really call her a pimp). Am I being oversensitive? Perhaps. But it is not a matter of being politically correct-it's a matter of pride and self-respect. As for ho's- I wouldn't want my wife or girlfriend or daughter or sister dressing like a ho at any time. Again, this is just my opinion...If others feel that their organization should do it, and nothing is wrong with it- fine, that is their choice. I only hope that if other individuals or groups on their campus found out about it, that person or group would at least have the courage to call them on it to have them explain how such an event reflects positively upon greek life.

I have to agree with him. If we have that type of party at my school, The Department of Student Life would have a fit. I don't mind having fun as well as the next guy, but let's be honest, having this type of event would cause nothing but a major headache. I'm also a African-American and I'm not too keen on the idea of a Pimps and Ho's party. I'm for any other theme parties except this one.

axotiger
10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
All I can say is WOW. I never thought that people felt so strongly on that subject. First of all, as for the racist part... I'm not following, and I won't even try...
Now that that's out of the way. A Pimp and Ho theme came out last year at one of our chapters, but it was somehow put on the back burner and we did something else.
Personally, I think those parties are fun. I went to a rugby Pimps and hos party last year, I had a blast. I mean honestly, girls... what do you normally wear to go out to parties? Short skirts? Tight Black pants? Sparkles? (maybe not fishnets... granted) but still... when I went to that party last year, I wore a little skirt and a halter top... not MUCH different than what girls usually wear to go out. And we don't mean to offend anyone when we go to these parties... it's just a reason to go out, dress up, have fun, and drink (sometimes).
People these days are WAY too sensitive, if you ask me. (yes, I'm probably going to get some hateful messages cause of that comment).

And for you people who are completely against this... what are your feelings on Catholic School Girl and Dirty Old Men Mixer ? Cause, that was a blast... but aren't we then offending old men EVERYWHERE, and what about those poor little catholic school girls...

greekalumna
10-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Something to consider before throwing a "Pimps and Ho's" Party is that such a party could be seen as celebrating a system in which women are frequently verbally, physically, and sexually abused in addition to being financially exploited by their pimps. I doubt that anyone sets out to throw a party thinking, "Hmm.. let's see what party we can throw that would celebrate a relationship that is violent towards women" but the truth is that many sex workers do experience much suffering at the hands of pimps. As members of organizations celebrating sisterhood, we really should be cognizant of the issues that affect all women (including those who don't meet the ideals of our organizations) and try to avoid themes that degrade our gender.
I'm realizing that all this makes me sound like a stuffy old woman (I am turning 27 next month) but it is something to think about. I'm sure that there are many other creative theme events that could be held instead. If nothing else, hold a "Sleazy Seventies" party, many of the same outfits could be worn!
Edited to add that I seen "Trailer Trash" socials mentioned in a few threads around here. I'd caution anyone considering throwing such a social could lend some fire to critics of your school's greek system's arguments that greek organizations are snobby. While such a party may be thrown in the spirit of good fun, it could be seen by those who weren't involved (i.e., students who just see the t-shirts around campus) as another example of the greek system making fun of those who come from a lower economic level. Again, I may be being old here, but it just seems like there are plenty of other social themes to choose from that aren't demeaning to others and that won't add to the old stereotypes about Greek life.

Optimist Prime
10-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Good post greekalumna. Why not have a reverse party, like the girls come in just whatever clothes they happen to find last minute, and guys all wear matching t-shirts that took 3 hours of commitee time to decide on.

stmuprncez
05-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I don't thinkthat it's disrespectful because you aren't forcing anyone to go or dress in any particular way. If a girl wants to dress really sexy and go along with the theme that's great for her but if she would rather calm it down that should be cool too. I think it's a funny idea and I just think no one should take the words too seriously. :) Also about the words yeah it's a bit harsh but like you also need to see there are a lot of other racist ideas such as a white trash party or people can even think a Luau is kinda racist. It's bad when people take things so seriously and take the fun out of things by making them controversial.

enlightenment06
05-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. Not the proper example to set for greek life

AOX81
05-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Will this thread ever die? lol

bjl6d
06-11-2003, 08:14 PM
AOX81 Will this thread ever die? lol
HA! I dont' think so.

Anyway, we tried to do this and our school's administration actually put a stop to it. It might be because we're technically the "Honor Fraternity" (phi sigma pi) but to my knowledge i don't think any "real" greek has had this party yet either. we even tried to rename it to a Ladies and Gentlemen party and the admin slaughtered that too.

piphiarrow234
06-12-2003, 12:55 AM
i dont think its a bad idea, i mean a "Pimps and ho's" party is all in fun.. i know people who have had them go very well... if you dont want to risk disrespect, try another theme party like i'v seen some that were Famers ball , or PJ Party or costume party just and idea :)

RUgreek
06-19-2003, 02:52 PM
when did this discussion get revived?

butterfly2001nc
07-01-2003, 12:32 AM
NOooo....i don't think it's disrespectful at all! I've been to bout 2 of them at NC State and they are soo much fun!!!

It's all in good fun!

absolutuscchick
07-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I think that Pimps n' Hos parties are awesome....and not really disrespectful...just alot of fun to get dressed up for!!!! :)

CutiePie2000
07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
The question is, would you send in photos to your Nationals and go "Here are some pics from our "Pimps and Hos Party"", please publish them in our fraternity/sorority magazine?

I'm not against people dressing up sexily, but I do object to women being referred to as "whores" and even more so, to women referring to THEMSELVES as "whores".

Call it something else...they did in the Bridget Jones movie (remember the "Vicars and Tarts" party?)

absolutuscchick
07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
The question is, would you send in photos to your Nationals and go "Here are some pics from our "Pimps and Hos Party"?

Well, I personally wouldn't want a sorority that I am in to be having one, but if a fraternity threw one, I would probably go (I know I'm completely perpetuating the double standard here!)

piphiarrow234
07-06-2003, 01:11 PM

Call it something else...they did in the Bridget Jones movie (remember the "Vicars and Tarts" party?)

A tart is just a british word for Hoe..... if hoe is disrespectful, then tart defintally is also.. :)

RUgreek
07-09-2003, 01:50 AM
The question is, would you send in photos to your Nationals and go "Here are some pics from our "Pimps and Hos Party"", please publish them in our fraternity/sorority magazine?

I'm not against people dressing up sexily, but I do object to women being referred to as "whores" and even more so, to women referring to THEMSELVES as "whores".

I would not have a problem with this, and no one at our national would make a stink with regards to the title or theme of the party. As long as it follows the university rules and nobody gets hurt, creative parties are a good idea.

slamit93
07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
I cannot believe that there is this big of an issue over this topic... our pimps and hoes party last spring was one of the biggest parties that we had all year, if women didn't want to be "hoes" they dressed up as pimps... and vice versa... it is a freakin costume party, and therefore the name describes the costumes, not the people in attendance... We have pictures from it on our chapter website, and no one from IHQ that has seen them have complained a bit... all of the people that are to cool to go to the party we probably didn't want there anyway.

kddani
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
bumping b/c it's an interesting topic and there's been lots of newbies to GC since then.

Any updated thoughts on this topic?

What about in light of Lil John and his Pimp Cup and all that stuff?

Has "pimp" sorta gained a new meaning? Yo man, that's pimp. Or you're pimping that shirt, etc.

Can't really say much about hoes aspect though, that hasn't changed.

FloridaTish
02-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but to attend a party as a "ho" is disrespectful. Yes, it's just another costume party, but think about what you are dressing up as...

Yes, women have rights...in the US. But in many countries where prostitution is rampant, these "hoes" are SOLD into prostitution or are kidnapped and forced to "ho" it up for their pimp.

How would you like being forced to sleep with 10-15 guys a day and get no money, no freedom and no life outside of prostitution? This happens to women all over the world daily...unfortunately, many of these "hoes" are children.

By throwing a party, even in fun, that makes light of women being used and degraded is amazingly sad and I HIGHLY doubt that your nationals would actively support a party suce has this.

Aren't sororities supposed to build character and inspire women to be their best? I doubt going to socials and dressing like a "ho" is what your founders thought about when they were forming your organization.

Just my 2 cents...;)

honeychile
02-28-2005, 09:56 PM

This says it better than I could - except for one thing: would you want your daughter to think that she's a "ho"? It just sounds so trashy.

But then again, y'all know that I can be a real prude at times.

FSUZeta
02-28-2005, 10:07 PM
you and me both honeychile, you and me both!

33girl
02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Whether you call it pimps & hos, naughty schoolgirls and principals or what have you, I'll say one thing: there are mixers that I would trust some fraternities with that I would not trust others. It's one thing to have a "naughty" mixer with the guys you hang out with 24/7 that are practically your brothers and another to have something like that with guys that you're more unsure of. I mean, the guys who have seen me in sweats and no makeup are going to understand that it's all just a costume. The ones who are meeting me for the first time in "tart wear" are a different story.

And I have to say, at the risk of sounding like an old fart, I've seen girls in bars wearing things that we would have considered dress for a pimp/ho mixer.

TSteven
03-02-2005, 03:27 PM
33girl - I so love reading your turn of phrases.

Originally posted by 33girl
The ones who are meeting me for the first time in "tart wear" are a different story.

And from the 'for what it is worth' department. My sister-in-law's chapter had a Pimp & Ho party with a twist. Everyone was in drag with the men dressed as the prostitutes and the women dressed as the pimps.

fliotasigep
03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
An easy way to avoid the issue of who to bid for such an event if you are a fraternity is to have it as an open party at the end of sorority rush week, which is usually a week or two before fraternity rush...you invite all the guys you are thinking about rushing and every girl you can think of, make it outside and only brothers are allowed in the house, it makes people dress to the weather and it relieves the stress of randoms in your house...we have done it for two years running and it is the most popular party at USF every year.

TRSimon
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I have to ask this...

I, like a few other folks on this thread, would never see my sorority sponsoring such an event (nor would I attend one in my college days). It seems way too irresponsible to the community that we service.

kappasigma1869
04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Don't be affriad to do something because it isnt PC. Thats crap

kddani
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kappasigma1869
Don't be affriad to do something because it isnt PC. Thats crap

Don't be afraid to use spellcheck or correct punctuation, either ;)

<---- Refraining from making a WV joke. It's SO difficult as a native Pittsburgher to hold back.

I don't even know if PC-ness is the issue here.

Unregistered-
04-06-2005, 04:48 PM
You know, I've gone out on the weekends in attire that would be perfect for a pimps and hoez party. I own crap that allows as much as possible to hang out.

Would I go to one? Of course I would. Still, I'd go as Sandy, not an AGD. It's just something that I wouldn't want to attach my letters to. My letters don't just belong to me -- and if someone else wants to throw one, be my guest...just as long as it's not AGD.

kappasigma1869
04-18-2005, 03:28 AM
To The Pittsburgher: I am from western PA as well and yes I am a bad speller and typer

PS: Pitt sucks at basketball

The Truth
04-18-2005, 11:02 AM

***shaking head*****

I concur.

ARADPi
06-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by OTW

I'd go as Sandy, not an AGD. It's just something that I wouldn't want to attach my letters to. My letters don't just belong to me -- and if someone else wants to throw one, be my guest...just as long as it's not AGD.

You have to keep in mind that whether its being "that girl" at a party or being elected Student Government president, EVERYTHING that you do reflects back on your letters; whether you are wearing them or not. Even though you don't party in your breasted letter shirt, people still know who you are and which GLO you represent. They associate every action that you take with your letters.

----

There was a Pimps 'n Hoes party, a CEOs and Office Hoes, a Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes, and a Dirty Doctors and Naughty Nurses party at my school this year.

I went to all four and had a great time. So did my sisters, and friends from other sororities and my room mate and other GDI's all of whom attended without being offended. I don't think that these parties disrespectful to anyone.

In my opinion, only when people are condemned for trying liven up their social lives and spice up their parties with a little creativity does attendance of one of these parties become a blackmark on a GLO's letters.

Drunkie679
06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
We had worst mixers then Pimp and Ho, i think people are getting way to caution on what they do. I feel we are all students having fun. I mean they do have limits, but "Gangsta Bro and Hoodrat Hoes" was one of our funniest mixers

msn4med1975
06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Can I ask why anyone is attending a party where she'd be considered one of the "hoes" and is finding this funny? Last time I checked being a hoe wasn't a good thing. And for the wannbe pimps and ganstas among you, maybe because you aren't apart of the culture most associated with these archetypes then it doesn't seem like a big deal to you. But you are glorifying a HORRIBLE segment in society that does an injustice to itself and the women involved. Then again I'm not disrespecting my Founders by engaging in such behavior so knock yourself out.

Honeykiss1974
06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Drunkie679
. I mean they do have limits, but "Gangsta Bro and Hoodrat Hoes" was one of our funniest mixers

"Gansta Bros and Hoodrat Hos"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

This thread is a prime example of the importance of art and music programs in our public schools because apparently creativity skills are no longer being developed.

And that's keeping it easy to swallow. I won't even touch the other implications :rolleyes:

Drunkie679
06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't feel that this represents my culture. It is only negative if you feel it is negative. We come up with these theme, not to disrespect people, but we do it because they are funny themes that people can dress up for. People don't want to be pimps or be hoes, they dress up like them because it is like halloween. You dress up like something your not and have a good time

adpiucf
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
The people who want to attend these parties will go all out with costumes and have fun. Those who object won't attend. If the majority aren't attending, that's a sure sign your social chair is way off-course with her event ideas from the chapter's wants.

Also, if your social advisers signed the forms and approved this thing, it's a go.

As an alum, I think it isn't representing the Greek System in the best light, and there are other creative dress-up themes that are just as fun. However, I'm not gonna lie that the collegian that I was had a blast at these parties, whether they were approved socials under an assumed name or a party at someone's house off-campus.

A lot of current college student love the theme-- you get to dress all wild and racy-- what college student doesn't experiment with that at some point? I think that's an unconscious effect of dress-up mixer/socials.

So to summarize-- I get why college students love these parties, but as an older graduate I understand why it might be a good idea not to have them.

Wolfman
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
While those who put on these may not be "racists," a rather amorphous and meaningless term to me, there is kind of naivete and callousness exhibited in some of the posts in this thread.

Naivete in that images have meaning in historical/cultural contexts. To act as though this is not the case and then carry out a certain course of action that brings down sanctions upon yourself shows a lack of wisdom.Wisdom which should characterize typically more privileged young people who will be leaders in our increasingly diverse society.

Callousness in that true growth as a human being involves a growth in the capacity to empathize with Others--that you can see and experience reality from the perspectives of others outside of your in-group, racial,ethnic, gender, socioeconomic,etc. and make empathic choices. It not simply about what I can do but about what should I do. A totaly self-centered worldview is what characterizes children where their needs and desires are paramount.

msn4med1975
06-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't feel that this represents my culture. It is only negative if you feel it is negative. We come up with these theme, not to disrespect people, but we do it because they are funny themes that people can dress up for. People don't want to be pimps or be hoes, they dress up like them because it is like halloween. You dress up like something your not and have a good time

Once again I'll ask why dressing up like a hoe or a pimp is FUN for you? And I know it doesn't represent your culture. If it did someone would stop the foolishness.

ARADPi
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by msn4med1975
Once again I'll ask why dressing up like a hoe or a pimp is FUN for you?

Dressing up as a pimp or a hoe is fun for the same reason that dressing up like pumpkin or a ballerina or a super hero is fun. Its a COSTUME. Thats all. No social or historical implications intended. Just a COSTUME.

SirHornyToad
06-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Same reason that people enjoy dressing sexy when going to a club, its something they cant get away in normal life due to the social norms placed upon them.

People love a good lingerie and boxers party, but while 100 people might show up to a club/house party dressed in thier skivvies youd be hard pressed to find 100 people willing to go to class or work dressed as such, or even to the local burger joint.

people want to have fun.
people want to be sexual.
people like to dress up.

Zillini
06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Interesting thread. (Thanks for the bump by the way.) A while back this very suggestion came up. Being as I grew up in central Illinois and perhaps I am naive, the thought of it being racist never occurred to me. However it did occur to another advisor.

I had different problems with this theme that have really only been touched on here. Our sorority and I know all others are trying to teach our members to be strong, independent women, to teach them the values and ideals that each of our GLO's were founded on, to teach them to respect themselves and others. I don't think dressing up as either a pimp or a hoe in any way achieves this goal.

I want our women to realize that how they dress and how they conduct themselves at all times not only reflects on their sorority, but more importantly on themselves and the kind of person they are. It doesn't matter if they're going to a costume party, out to a bar on Friday night or to class. People form opinions on how you present yourself no matter what kind of a person you really are at heart.

How many times have we heard about rape cases where the defending attourney attacks the victim about what she was wearing? Was that woman asking to be raped simply because she was wearing a tight, low cut blouse, mini skirt and spiked heels? Of course not, but that rapist, that attourney, those jurors and the rest of the world sit back and think "Hmm...she must have been out looking for some action because she sure dressed like it."

I can't tell you how many times I heard young women lamenting the fact that they can't meet a great guy who is interested in more than just sex. I've mentioned (politely and tactfully of course) that perhaps its the way they've been presenting themselves. If you dress like a tramp, people think you're a tramp. Is this the kind of girl I want to take home to meet my Mama? No, but she'd be alot of fun for the evening!

Heck I agree with the notion that anyone should be able to walk down the street stark naked and nobody should think anything wrong with that person. But face it, that's not how the world works. Would you go to a job interview at a conservative Fortune 500 company dressed like you're the starring act at the local strip club? It's the same as showing up in raggedy cut-off shorts, scroungy t-shirt and flips. You're not going to get the job because that is not the image the company wants to project through it's employees.

This brings me back to the idea of "Pimps and Hoes" as a party theme. With the tragic increases in cases of date rape, I also fear this sort of party would only add to the potential for disaster. At a minimum, throw in some alcohol and it's a recipe for inappropriate and probably unwelcome touching and comments.

As parents, advisors and just as adults, we try to teach young women to never put themselves in a dangerous situation. Don't walk across campus alone after dark. Don't park in dimly lit places. And don't dress yourself like you're looking for trouble, because you'll probably find it. It doesn't matter if you're at a supposedly "safe" party or not.

Bad things happen to good people all the time.

*getting off my soapbox now*

Drunkie679
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by msn4med1975
And I know it doesn't represent your culture. If it did someone would stop the foolishness. [/B]

How do yo know that it does not represent my culture? How do you know what culture I am? Before you make statements like that you should really ask what they are. You can't assume that just because I support the theme, I am not from the culture that is tied to the negative image. I don't see it as disrespect. It does suck that people think because people dress a certain way they are a bad girl, but not all guys think like that. A lot of my friends dress like that to go clubbing just to feel sexy, and they aren't like that.

Ch2tf
06-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I am concerned that you even had to ask if the Blackface/KKK party is racist! Do you at all understand the history of blackface, and unless you are a member of the Klu Klux Klan, why would one ever considered dressing up in that get up????

Ch2tf
06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Wolfman
While those who put on these may not be "racists," a rather amorphous and meaningless term to me, there is kind of naivete and callousness exhibited in some of the posts in this thread.

Naivete in that images have meaning in historical/cultural contexts. To act as though this is not the case and then carry out a certain course of action that brings down sanctions upon yourself shows a lack of wisdom.Wisdom which should characterize typically more privileged young people who will be leaders in our increasingly diverse society.

Callousness in that true growth as a human being involves a growth in the capacity to empathize with Others--that you can see and experience reality from the perspectives of others outside of your in-group, racial,ethnic, gender, socioeconomic,etc. and make empathic choices. It not simply about what I can do but about what should I do. A totaly self-centered worldview is what characterizes children where their needs and desires are paramount.

Can I just say DAMN! You summed it up, no other words are needed!

Lady of Pearl
06-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't see pimps and hoes belonging to any one particular race. However, it (the party) is glorifying a deviant subculture within the United States therefore I see the glorification and subjugation of one class upon the other. One participates as the other in this type of party, and denigrates that particular subculture. One gets to objectify and play with that particular subculture and takes on the antics of it for fun, not particularly intelligent to make fun of or participate in fun of those who are a part of that class.:o

msn4med1975
06-16-2005, 03:48 PM
How do yo know that it does not represent my culture? How do you know what culture I am? Before you make statements like that you should really ask what they are. You can't assume that just because I support the theme, I am not from the culture that is tied to the negative image. I don't see it as disrespect. It does suck that people think because people dress a certain way they are a bad girl, but not all guys think like that. A lot of my friends dress like that to go clubbing just to feel sexy, and they aren't like that.

So you're inner city youth, of any particular ethnic background, and you think it's okay to glorify a segment of society that BRINGS down those communities? The reason I said it must not be part of YOUR culture is because that would be just an intense case of self-hatred. Dressing up like a HOE is not a costume. Dressing up like a PIMP is not a costume. I know that I may take this a little more seriously because I see multiple implications in it but really the idea of dressing up so someone would mistake me for a streetwalker just seems well stupid.

Drunkie679
06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Honestly, if someone dresses up as a devil does that make them a Satin Worshiper or someone dressing up as a Mask Killer, does that make them a killer. Some people dress up for fun. If you place greater emphasis on it, you are someone who seems to be quick to judge someone.

MaMaBuddha
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
WOW!

I've read this thread over the past couple of years and it seems to me that certain people do not get it.

we join fraternities and sorority to basically uplift our communities and educate.

the day that my sorority would ever put their name on a "pimps and ho's party. i can see my founders rolling over in their graves or even leaving their graves to come and smack the hell out of me for even letting the notion enter my mind to having one of these parties.

*Sorors Osceola Macarthy Adams and Jimmie Bugg MIddleston showing up at my door step to have a serious talk with me*

we were in the women's suffrage movement, because were trying to gain more rights as women not take that step backwards.

the connations behinds those words are not cool.

imagine

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc presents
A Pimps Up and Ho's Down Party

with t-shirts?!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

now...on the other hands ideas like naming it "playas ball" is cute. anyone can be a playa. any type of negative theme we should stay away from.

--

whittleschmeg
06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
We do PIMPz ad Hoes parties we also had a "Anything but clothes Party" We made clothing out of ducktape an the guys made clothes out of trahbags or put suspenders on boxes wore old banners some girls wore short skirts and halter tops and wrpped themseleves in towels it was alot of fun.....I have never dressed as a ho but I did dress as a pimp we also have taps with "CEOs and Office Hos" I dunno

Drunkie679
06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Honestly, it is just themes people come up with. Yes, we do come up with many other themes as well, we just did that mixer one time. Many mixers, people dress up for the fun of it, because they like dressing different from everyday life.

msn4med1975
06-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Honestly, if someone dresses up as a devil does that make them a Satin Worshiper or someone dressing up as a Mask Killer, does that make them a killer. Some people dress up for fun. If you place greater emphasis on it, you are someone who seems to be quick to judge someone.

I never said it MADE someone a HOE, I just dont understand why you would want to imitate a hooker or a criminal as that is what a pimp is--and a low life criminal at that as he/she survives off the degredation of others. If being a hooker and a criminal is fun for you enjoy yourself.

jubilance1922
06-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I guess it comes down to how you want to represent your organization. I learned very early that I was no longer just me; I was representing something that is over 80 years old. I would not engage in such events, just because someone would see my organization attached to the event and then think negatively. I want Sigma's legacy to be about upstanding young women making a difference in the community, and I try to represent that everyday. Not saying that you can't have fun, because you can. But its all about representation. For example, my sorority did a classy, dress up in your finest party that was great success. What's wrong with having fun and looking good in the process?

Drunkie679
06-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Just because you dress like a hooker or pimp doesn't mean you are one. You are suggesting that people that do this have no respect for themselves. I think that is a pretty bold remark. You are taking the issue of someone dressing like a hoe into the person being a hoe. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. But, I feel that it is just like halloween dressing up into something that you aren't. Take it how you want to take.

dukedg
06-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Maybe its just me, but I feel like people can turn any theme party into one where they dress inappropriately. For example, the other day I was at a pirate themed party where girls were wearing the most outrageous outfits. They might as well have been at a pimps and hos party. When I asked what they were they said wenches. (I'm in my mid-20's by the way, as were the guests.) Anyway, point is, some people will find a way to make any theme inappropriate. Do people hold their chapter members responsible for this "interpretation" of the theme?

Wolfman
06-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I posted earlier about the wider issues that this has to do with, not with the freedom of speech issue.

As an African American male I do think there is somewhat of a racial divide here. Not simple because of the putative cultural refernce impicit in a "pimps and hos" party but because of power differentials growing out of white supremecist ideology which is formly in place in our society. Please listen to what I say and try to understand!

From the time African Americans grow up and esp. when come of agye to enter the public sphere and professional life, they clearly understand that they have to be careful about their comportment, language and actions. If one dreeses in matter that bespeaks of "too ethnic" ot wears hair styles like braids that may not be a part of the norm of the corporation, there may be consequenses. Similarly, if one does not use standard English in the "white world", implicit judgments are made about your intelligence. We tend to "switch" to adopt the cultural norms of the wider society in public life to further our careers.

For many whites, they don't face the same pressures. They are raised to see the world as their oyster, with the often impicit subtext that they can be oblivious to other cultural norms or groups. Their are typically less consequences for misbehaving, socially speaking. It is typical of my experice that when I'm shopping, go about my business and happen to be walking behind a white female, it is commonplace for her to stop and pretend that she is windowshopping,etc. It's an inherent fear of the black man as the mythical Other, the feared,violent stranger. And the scapegoating that Susan Smith, Charles Smith in Boston and the recent runaway bride in GA did could only happen in context in which minorites are stereotyped and they actually play on peoples emotions. The associations with blackface, pimps and hos,etc. are done in this context. They do have meaning! And this should factor in the decision-making process of Greeks.

Wine&SilverBlue
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I personally would never have even thought to consider "Pimps & Hoes" a racial issue, but if some people do find it offensive, then it's offensive.

A fraternity at my school throws a "Pimps & Hoes" party at the beginning of each year, and it's an open party. No t-shirts, no link to any sorority chapter, and anyone can go. Actually, last year the name was changed to "Chimps & Crows" to be less offensive, although it's understood that the general idea is to dress like "Pimps & Hoes."

I would never support my sorority throwing such an event or having our name associated with it in any way, but I wouldn't be against going. Freshman year I stayed in to work on an art project but took pictures of my friends as they went out. Soph year I don't think I went either for some reason or another, and last year I made an appearance in jeans and heels and then moved on to a different party after a short while.

These are generally some of the most highly attended parties thrown, but I'm glad it's not my org doing it. I think it's up to that chapter to decide whether or not they want to do it, and I guess the name change is a step in the right direction?

dznat187
06-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't think it is racist but i do think it just perpectuates a stereotype of greeks-slutty sorosity girls and sex-crazed drunk fraternity men. ive been to one of these types of parties and its just an excuse for girls to dress slutty, which honestly, alot of these people do already. Many 'party-girls' dress liek this regularly when they go out to parties anyway.

Why not try something fun that is not going to reflect negatively on the entire greek community. How bout an 80s party? Or disco? Those are so much fun, the costumes usually end up great, and you can go all out on the theme with music, posters, food, and games to go with the era. Sock hops can be cool. I've even heard of a high society party that turned out really well; everyone dressed up super posh and they all looked great and had a good time.

Other theme ideas: beach/tiki/luau/Caribean/jungle party (think girls and guys in bikinis-same effect as pimps and hoes kinda and use appropriate music-ie beach boys or jamacian, etc.), hoedown, night at the oscars/grammys, fiesta (chips and salsa and magaritas (mocktails work too), shipwrecked (pirates, hawaiian garb, etc.), you can do a theme around any tv show/movie pretty much (ie. gilligans island-everyone can dress as one of the characters and you can select the best of each character to win prizes), PJ party, masquerade ball (everyone must have a fun mask), villians and superheroes, middle school dance (think girls on one side, guys on the other, cheesy slow dance music and spin the bottle), sports fans (aka people wearing their favorite teams jersey and painted faces), nerds (come as the nerdiest frat guy or sorority girl a la Lambda Lambda Lambda), cross dressing/gender swap (guys in girls clothes is always funny), PUNK...there is no end to the more innocent party themes

Or instead of having a lets get trashed party, why not do something fun that is alcohol-free. Examples of this are bowling, chuck-e-cheese, board game night(we did one of these with Alpha Sigma Phi and it really was a blast-we played guess who and other games!!), roller skating (mix this with a 70s theme, like in Van Wilder), have a campfire with stupid camp songs and s'mores, amusement park trips, murder mystery game thing...find out what people like and try it out.

Stef the Pef
06-30-2005, 03:47 AM
I wonder if the original poster in this thread ever went with the theme or not?

Anyway, the only "Pimps and Hoes" party here was a GDI "everybody's invited" sort of "Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes" deal. I didn't go, but I had friends who did and they didn't end up looking trashy at all--just cute in sporty tennis/golf/preppy gear. I guess that's an alternative to keep with the name, but first off, I don't think my school (Baylor, a fairly strict Baptist university) would ever officially sponsor something with "hoes" or "pimps" in the name, but then again, that's just here. The theatre student society tried having a "Ghetto" crush earlier this year, but it was denied by the school for being potentially offensive.

I can sort of see how it would be offensive to do something with a ghetto/pimp theme, but really, lighten up, it's a theme. People suggested Texan themes all the time for high school events in WA, and although they were usually cheesy, cartoony, "Sandy Cheeks"-esque representations of my home state, hey, it was all in good fun and I wasn't about to complain. I think the same standard applies to any subculture-themed party: do it in a good, respectful manner and everybody'll have fun. I really liked the idea of the "Gangsta's Ball" mentioned earlier--nobody's a ho, and you still get to have fun with the costumes and a lot of great music to fit the theme. It's essentially a good party theme, but even if men come as "hoes," it's just not a very respectful term, even if it is catchy.

kwazi19
08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
just ask yourself - does throwing a "pimps and ho's" party align with the values all of our organizations were founded upon?? the answer then is quite simple - NO!!

there are plenty of creative "themes" you can do that aren't disrespectful to people and the values of our organizations..

CutiePie2000
08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
This is the thread that refuses to die. It was started in 2002, people!

tunatartare
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
This is the thread that doesn't end. Yes it goes on and on my friend...

Indie_Superstar
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by KLPDaisy

......Some people started debating it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue debating it forever just because........

respect_women
11-29-2006, 03:59 AM
I don't think that a pimps and hos party is racist, as a few have mentioned, but I think it is absolutely inappropriate and insensitive. You have to consider the subculture you are glorifying and celebrating when you host such a party.

Do you have any understanding of the dynamic that exists between pimps and hos? It is nothing short of modern day slavery. That we continue to allow it to exist in our society that so prizes freedom is a travesty. Pimps recruit vulnerable women, often runaways, immigrants, the very poor, etc. A common ploy is to have his "main" ho start up a friendship with the vulnerable woman. Soon she'll be introduced to the pimp. Maybe they'll have sex, but initially there is no mention of prostitution. He'll give her gifts and gain her trust. Not long afterwards, he'll tell her she owes him money for the gifts. "Debt bondage" is a very common means of controlling and sexually exploiting women. He'll then tell her how she can earn the money by prostituting herself. If she tries to refuse, he'll threaten to tell her family about their relationship. He'll threaten to kill or harm family members. Some pimps rely primarily on violence, but these are not the most common. They are called gorilla pimps. Most instead rely on threats, manipulation, and psychological forms of coercion. The woman may think she can pay off the debt soon, but this never happens, due to usurious interest rates and other deceitful practices. By now, she has been inducted into the world of prostitution. She is now considered to be in the pimp's "stable" (this is the word they use for the women they control). She has to bring in a certain amount of money each night. If she doesn't, she's often beaten or otherwise punished. Pimps commonly put women in the trunks of their cars, sometimes for days at a time, or lock them in closets (they prefer not to bruise them as this can hurt profits). Rape is extremely common, and women cannot refuse tricks. The women live in such a state of terror that they cannot escape. It is nothing but slavery. There are complex sets of rules that women must follow. If a ho looks at another pimp, she must be punished; it often means a beating or a day in the trunk of the pimp's car. Thus, the women learn never to look up and always stare at the ground.

Meanwhile, the pimps make 200k/yr per girl. A huge number of the women involved are under 18, often as young as 12-14. The pimps wear gold jewelry, drive expensive cars, and wear fur coats. All of this money is earned by the selling of women's lives. The women rarely make more than $10/day.

I have to ask you if this is a lifestyle that you think should be glorified and celebrated. Women especially, is this what sororities were created for?

Another important note is that some people have suggested the name "Players Ball". This is probably the worst name you could choose, as it already has a well accepted meaning. A very famous pimp known as "Bishop Don Magic Juan" started the tradition of the players ball to commemorate his birthday. Each year, large numbers of pimps get together at players balls around the country (Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, and other locations) and pass out awards to each other. They do this in plain sight of society, flaunting their crimes for all to see with impunity. Pimp of the Year is given to the pimp who controls the most women the most brutally and makes the most money. Meanwhile these poor women are dragged to the players ball where they appear virtually naked and as nothing but sex objects for men to leer at.

Add to this that many pimps are involved in human trafficking rings in which women are transported from other countries (or sometimes within the United States) and forced to prostitute themselves. Currently, between 15,000 and 20,000 women are trafficked to the United States per year for forced sexual servitude, and approximately 2 million are trafficked per year in the world. Major source countries are Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, and South America. To learn more about this problem, check out the website for the Polaris Project (www.polarisproject.org (http://www.polarisproject.org)) or the International Justice Mission (www.ijm.org) (http://www.ijm.org%29). Here is a link with some actual testimonies from survivors of human trafficking: http://www.humantrafficking.com/humantrafficking/features_ht3/Testimonies/testimonies_mainframe.htm

Here are the stories of two American girls who were victimized in the US. Note, while these do not contain any adult images, they are from one of the major anti-trafficking sites and contain some disturbing stories. You have been warned. These are true stories and will help you to see the reality of what pimps and hos are all about. If you can stomach it, they are really unbelievable stories and will change how you look at prostitution in this country.

Jill: http://www.ex-oriente-lux.org/acc_usa_01.html
Jen: http://www.ex-oriente-lux.org/acc_usa_02.html

Another really interesting website if you can read Spanish relates the story of a 23 year old woman named Marita Veron who was abducted by sex traffickers near her home in Argentina. The website is run by her mother, who has spent the last several years searching for her daughter. Marita still has not been found, although they have reports from other escaped women who knew her, and she was sold to a brothel in Spain for a couple thousand dollars. To her pimp and the johns, she is just another ho. To her 7 year old daughter Micaela, she is the mom who never came home. For the first year of school, Micaela's grandmother had to go with her every day, because she would just break down and cry uncontrollably on a regular basis. (www.casovaron.org.ar (http://www.casovaron.org.ar))

I urge you all to reject this subculture that objectifies and degrades women and everything that goes with it. Don't use the word pimp to ever mean anything positive, and don't support this lifestyle. It's a human rights travesty. Have some respect for women. Help speak for those who have lost their voices. Tell the world that we will not tolerate such practices anymore. They have no place in civilized society. This subculture should be ostracized and scorned, not glorified and celebrated.

SigmaPsi_Star
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Okay, so this thread is really old...and basically all points that can be made, probably have been...but...I'm no better than anyone else, so I'll throw my thoughts out there.

As far as it being racist, I can see both sides of that one, despite the fact that "pimping and hoeing" aren't exactly new ideas, the terms do have some sort of racial connotation because a lot of pop culture, and I think especially the rap/hip-hop scene, ties the two together. So, while they aren't inherently linked, the connection is there based on popular culture. At the same time, this is in fact just a theme, an excuse to put on clothes you may not normally wear (though, I do agree, lots of girls wear basically the same skanky outfit to anything slightly like a party) and go out and have fun. And, the theme comes from pop culture, so really if people want to throw a fit about it, they should probably throw a fit at the media and the rappers and what not who throw the concept of them being pimps and "their" women being hoes at all of us.

On that note, I think that sexism in this party is probably more of an issue than racism, and it's not about how people dress to go to the party. The truth is, despite the fact that it is just a party, and that prostitution has been around for the vast majority of history, having a party based on that particular institution glorifies it is something that is not needed in todays world where "pimping and hoeing" are already pretty well glorified by popular culture. Most women don't choose to be prostitutes. It's often a result of unfortunate and aweful circumstances and can even perpetuate these same circumstances such as drug abuse, poverty, alcoholism, and a lack of education. Women who choose to become prostitutes, probably have no idea what they're getting into, or they get there by way of stripping and then realizing that they could make a little bit more money by giving it up. In any event any thing that glorifies stripping, prositution, etc. is pretty much degrading to women because it allows for the idea to get into some mens heads that women exist to please them that women want nothing but to be taken by some guy, it makes us seem like...chairs...chairs have a purpose, that is to be a thing to sit on, things like this can make men, and women too, see women as objects that are made to have sex with. And noone needs that.

The difference between that and any other party where dressing slutty is the norm is that they aren't glorifing prostitution, sure, they glorify sex, but you can choose not to dress in an absurdly slutty way for such things, and then it can be chalked up to individual girls being slutty, or feeling like dressing slutty, not women as objects for sex.

On top of that, throwing your letters behind something like that does enforce steriotypes about greek life that a lot of us are fighting very hard to break.

My biggest issue with this is actually the total lack of creativity that goes into this theme. I know one fraternity on my campus throws something to the effect of this under a different name (it's something super stupid with "bling-bling" in it or something like that) I've never gone, nor do I ever want to, all I know is that the reputation of that fraternity is already that they're the guys who just party all the time (and, I'll be totally honest, my freshmen year at least, our orientation leaders both male and female, greek and not, told us that it was a good idea to stay away from that house because bad things could happen). Another group recently had a "Dance Epidemic" party, where doctors and nurses was basically the theme, I also didn't go to this, but some of my friends and sisters did and it seems like it was pretty okay, because it was more focused on being silly and a chance to wear something a little out of the ordinary and dance. Other groups have some more creative, in my oppinion, parties...our chapter of Sigma Nu has their Maze party every year where they set up a whole maze of cardboard boxes in part of their house and as people come in they get a number written on their hand, there's an area for dancing and then when it's your groups turn, you crawl through this maze with a bunch of people, in the dark and try to find your way out (there are brothers standing by incase someone gets lost or freaks out) and then you go back to dancing, I've gone and I liked it a lot. Delt has had highlighter parties, and another group (can't remember who) had a stoplight party (which I think is actually a pretty neat idea), someone had a twister party at one point, I didn't go, so I don't know how that worked. Traditionally, my sorority holds "Heaven and Hell" with one of the fraternities on campus, and yeah, it can be an excuse to dress slutty, but we have it around halloween and it's always a good time because so much can be done with the theme. As far as mixers, we do things like "My Tie" and "Tacky Formal" or have cookouts with the guys, or go ice skating or something like that.

DolphinChicaDDD
11-29-2006, 08:37 PM

......Some people started debating it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue debating it forever just because........

Nothing more. Carry on.

True_Greek
12-12-2006, 12:08 PM
This can be debated forever and the parties will continue.

And I don't think they are disrespectfull just as holoween partines aren't disrespectful to any of the professions the costumes caricature.

Tom Earp
12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Today is so PC and is a no no!:rolleyes:

Boodleboy322
12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Have we gotten so P.C. on campus that things like the KA's "Old South" party and the ever popular "Screw your Roommate" party are wrong? What do you think?:confused:

Here's the issue. Politics and society's interpretations have become so granular that people are too paranoid to have fun. If the intention of the party is to have fun then it should be held as long as it's kept in a controlled atmosphere external from the eye of criticism. The Fraternity or Sorority, both organizations comprised of selective membership, charged with the task of planning the event should make sure that all members attending are ok with the event. If your school is being constantly monitored by the media or critics you may even want to have people sign disclaimers ahead of time and keep a guest list at the door so that you can filter out any potential issues. On a more extreme case take the underground sex society featured on the movie "Eyes Wide Shut" for example. The guidelines were intended to be monitored carefully and controlled. Each member that attended the event, during the ritual scene, at the mansion knew the circumstances, risks, events, and knowingly engaged the event in a controlled environment. Having sex isn't against the law nor is it "Proper" according secular organizations and other belief systems. But the point is that all who participated knew what they were doing and willingly attended an event. As long as the Pimps and Hos party is carefully managed who cares what outside influences think. If you aren’t disrespecting anyone and a collective group of participants are cool with it then roll with it. You can bypass any red tape as long as there’s good strategy and implementation.

Regards,

Boodleboy322

sirfratalot
01-03-2007, 01:40 AM
I have to ask this...

the fact that you think "pimps and hoes" caters to any race being singled out really exposes who is racist.

deegeebaybee
02-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I have to ask this...

Well, i went to a non-greek pimps and hoes party and it was really boring- mostly due to it's uncreative atmosphere. but a lot of people have been giving a lot of shocked responses. Parties are all in good fun, and yes, where they may seem rather disrespectful, it's just another reason to get dressed up and add another element to a party. Yet, any way you look at it, any theme could be considered disrespectful. My sorority just had a Shipwrecked party, where we all dressed up as Pirates or sailors (fitting for Delta Gamma) or characters from Lost or Gilligan's Island, etc etc etc. People could somehow find this disrespectful because we're portraying bloodthirsty theives. But it's a costume party. Yes, there's other ways to go around the "bad" connotation such as maybe a "Saint's and Sinner's" party (so those who DON'T want to be pimps and/or hoes don't HAVE to be) or something along that line. My best suggestion is give your party a vauge theme so guests can have more options in dressing up. That way, thier creativity makes the party much more fun. Another good idea, though not as vauge, would be a "Millionaire's and Trophy Wives" party. Not as trashy, but just as fun to dress up for. hope my 2 cents helped y'all

PeppyGPhiB
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm tired of party themes that require guys to dress up as something good/prestigious/powerful/upper-hand while the gals dress up as sluts/little girls/subordinates. Sorry, but Millionairs & Trophy Wives? I'd die before I would ever want to be a trophy wife, so why would I want to dress up as one? Do sorority girls really know what trophy wives are? It's a really insulting term.

macallan25
02-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm tired of party themes that require guys to dress up as something good/prestigious/powerful/upper-hand while the gals dress up as sluts/little girls/subordinates. Sorry, but Millionairs & Trophy Wives? I'd die before I would ever want to be a trophy wife, so why would I want to dress up as one? Do sorority girls really know what trophy wives are? It's a really insulting term.

Oh come on, I think you are being a little ridiculous. Its a theme party...you aren't supposed to take it seriously.

UGAalum94
02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
And isn't dressing up about being able to be someone who you really aren't?

I wouldn't do "pimps and hos" in this day and age because someone's going to do something racist.

zeppo192
02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
personally, i think this topic is ridiculous.
i'm in a local sorority, so i don't know much about how national chapters & crap like that works, but seriously. it's a party theme. if you don't like it, don't do it. personally, P&H mixers are always fun at my school. Greek life is small here, and isn't spalshed on the front pages of the school newspaper. we don't open our mixers up to random people, and nobody honestly takes the themes seriously. theyre for fun. no need to get all political about it.

shinerbock
02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
You're also underestimating how many girls want to be trophy wives. Hell, there is a facebook group of sorority girls called "Why can't I just major in being a housewife?"

PeppyGPhiB
02-18-2007, 04:18 PM
You're also underestimating how many girls want to be trophy wives. Hell, there is a facebook group of sorority girls called "Why can't I just major in being a housewife?"

There's a difference between common housewives and trophy wives. Trophy wives are meant to be seen and not heard...they sit there and look pretty, and nothing else. Hence the word "trophy." Housewives usually have responsibilities around the home...cooking, cleaning, etc, or if they're rich maybe charity work....but just don't work in the traditional sense.

I'm not being overly political. Girls in college probably don't take the P/H party theme seriously, and I'm not suggesting they should. My issue was with the "trophy wives and millionaires" party because it specified that the men be the millionaires while the women just be arm candy. At least with P/H there's some flexibility to decide which you want to be :) I prefer party themes that are a little more creative, I guess. Isn't P/H "SO five years ago" anyway?

James
02-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Housewives of rich men don't do much housework.

Walk around Manhattan during the day and look around :)

Edited to add: And lots of trophy wives do charity work, its part of their social scene.

Go to the party dressed in a powersuit and ask which man will be your trophy husband . . there has to be a Kevin Federline in the group.

There's a difference between common housewives and trophy wives. Trophy wives are meant to be seen and not heard...they sit there and look pretty, and nothing else. Hence the word "trophy." Housewives usually have responsibilities around the home...cooking, cleaning, etc, or if they're rich maybe charity work....but just don't work in the traditional sense.

I'm not being overly political. Girls in college probably don't take the P/H party theme seriously, and I'm not suggesting they should. My issue was with the "trophy wives and millionaires" party because it specified that the men be the millionaires while the women just be arm candy. At least with P/H there's some flexibility to decide which you want to be :) I prefer party themes that are a little more creative, I guess. Isn't P/H "SO five years ago" anyway?

PeppyGPhiB
02-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Housewives of rich men don't do much housework.

Walk around Manhattan during the day and look around :)

Edited to add: And lots of trophy wives do charity work, its part of their social scene.

Go to the party dressed in a powersuit and ask which man will be your trophy husband . . there has to be a Kevin Federline in the group.

That's why I said that bit about "or if they're rich maybe charity work." I actually would not consider a rich woman dedicated to charity work a trophy wife. But anyway, my point is that many girls want to be spoiled by a rich husband, but don't necessarily want to be used just for their looks and have to rely on their looks to support them...so in that case they're using the term incorrectly and I'm just tired of hearing so many young college-educated women say that's what they want to be.

CutiePie2000
02-20-2007, 11:02 AM
It's pretty easy to be "dedicated" to charity work, when your finances are taken care of and you don't have a job to go to.
I'd probably do charity work too, if only to keep from going stir-crazy from boredom.

ΑΓΔSquirrelGirl
02-21-2007, 12:50 AM
the fact that you think "pimps and hoes" caters to any race being singled out really exposes who is racist.

The fact is that today people are so ridiculously sensitive and PC that they will, in fact, claim it's racist and demeaning. Looking out to avoid bad PR is important to anyone, but especially Greeks, since we aren't given the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I think people are TOO PC these days and I wouldn't find that party offensive. It's obviously meant in fun. If you think your chapter is going to be watched by media or such, then maybe pick something different. But I don't care what you pick, someone can find a problem with it...if it's meant in fun, then it's fun, not offensive and it's a shame some people did it that way.

Also about the trophy wife thing...it doesn't annoy me for a girl want to be a trophy wife. It's just a way to be wealthy and have a cushy lifestyle, and if they're willing to give up some of their personal freedoms and personality, what do I care? It's their choice. It isn't for me, but hey. Being a housewife is a whole different story...I wouldn't find a facebook group about wanting to be a housewife as offensive as someone finding that group itself offensive, implying that being a housewife is an unworthy occupation. I know my mom for one, between having day jobs, worked just as hard and as many hours as my dad. It's a job, and someone has to do it in a marriage or partnership. Traditional domestic roles work for some families, and that's fine...I joke about an "MRS" degree, even though truth be told there's no way I'd get married without earning my degree, but I wouldn't mind being a housewife one day when I've had kids and a husband with a job. I just think in today's world, with a 50% divorce rate, women who are depending on a husband should make sure they have a college degree just in case.

PeppyGPhiB
02-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Being a housewife is a whole different story...I wouldn't find a facebook group about wanting to be a housewife as offensive as someone finding that group itself offensive, implying that being a housewife is an unworthy occupation. I know my mom for one, between having day jobs, worked just as hard and as many hours as my dad. It's a job, and someone has to do it in a marriage or partnership. Traditional domestic roles work for some families, and that's fine...I joke about an "MRS" degree, even though truth be told there's no way I'd get married without earning my degree, but I wouldn't mind being a housewife one day when I've had kids and a husband with a job. I just think in today's world, with a 50% divorce rate, women who are depending on a husband should make sure they have a college degree just in case.

Agree completely. That's what I was trying to say...most housewives are not trophy wives...they work hard for their household, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I don't like for them to get the "trophy wife" label since I think it diminishes their responsibilities.

AGDee
02-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Let's bring it back to the old question (which we used a lot when I was a collegiate) "Would you be embarassed to show pictures/tell your grandmother about it?" If so, don't do it. It is these types of stereotypes that drag the Greek system down over and over. We all purport to have higher ideals and standards than others, so let's do things that prove it.

sirfratalot
02-22-2007, 02:37 AM
^I personally think that's a horrible way to live your life lol. I've been hearing that since I was 12. If I never did anything that my parents would disapprove of, I honestly wouldn't be half the person I am today, nor would I be near as happy. Sometimes breaking the rules is half the fun.

sigmasigmakendz
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
we always have a pimps and hoes party every year and some do see it as direspectful, but it depends on how you dress. You dont have to dress "like a hoe" if your not comfortable (as a girl) so interpret it as u please

Drolefille
03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
So instead you dress like what, a garden tool?

BabyPiNK_FL
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM

You could do something unexpected and go dressed as a millionaire! A nice no-nonsense business suit and comfortable heels. (I'm being serious). When given an opportunity, do something interesting and make people think about what they are doing. Plus you still get to enjoy the festivities!

cardeka
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I have seen before a reverse Pimps 'n Ho's where the men are the ho's and the women are their pimps. That way it was less disrespectful and looked like A LOT of fun!!

PenguinTrax
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
So instead you dress like what, a garden tool?

Just raking it in, aren't you.

Unregistered-
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Just raking it in, aren't you.

She felt that there was a need to hose it down a little.

Dionysus
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Imma need for people to STOP bumping this thread. Die thead, die bitch!!!!

PenguinTrax
03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Dionysus wants us to nip things at the bud.

TSteven
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Let's bring it back to the old question (which we used a lot when I was a collegiate) "Would you be embarrassed to show pictures/tell your grandmother about it?"

I have seen before a reverse Pimps 'n Ho's where the men are the ho's and the women are their pimps. That way it was less disrespectful and looked like A LOT of fun!!

My sister-in-law's chapter (she and my brother weren't married yet) had a reverse dress party back the late 1970s. It was a "Guys and Dolls" theme (attire) with a little Donna "Bad Girls" Summer thrown in for fun.

Not only did their parents see pictures of it, but thanks to a certain uncle who still thinks it is quite funny, so have their children.

yeahfrat
03-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Why would any self-respecting greek house sponsor a "pimps and hoes" party?

PLEASE!

Class yourselves up a little, and mix it up next time. If you want to host such an event, try the following two ideas:

"C.E.O.'s and Office Hoes" -or- "Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes"

This way you can show your female guests the respect that they deserve while keeping it classy. And since you don't completely drop off the "hoes" in the theme title, they can (and should) still slut it up without looking like common street trash.

Hope this helps,

Mitch

macallan25
03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I hope you honestly don't think that website is cool.

That is all.

fArVA
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Hell Noooooooooooooooo

ChildoftheHorn
03-23-2007, 10:06 PM
As a girl, I don't mind if it is done every once in a while - but everyone does it a lot. I mean I should hate myself for loving "To the Window, To the Wall, Till the Sweat ..." - still I cannot help but get up and dance when I hear it.

We have parties like "CEO's and their Corporate Ho's" "G.I.Joe-s and their G.I.Ho-s" "The Hoe is Down" (referring to a country Ho-Down)....then other stuff using Bit*h and Slut. A friend of mine told me about a party they had been to called "King Tut and his Queen Slut".

Seriously, I am not a feminist - but girls don't liked to be called that stuff in public. ( If you like that in private - it is your business. )

sanjiyan69
04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
We used to have Executive and Secretary party (Ex's and Sec's). It was a lot of fun. One of the party I was not able to be a part of (this happened before I rushed), was "anything but clothes" party...pretty easy, you show up to the party wearing anything but clothes. Be creative.

Okay back to the original thread. I don't think it's degrading, afterall, it's a social event and let's just have some fun and enjoy each other's company

raincoat
04-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Anyone who posted that this theme isn't racist should ask Don Imus how he feels about that.

macallan25
04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh shut the f**k up. If you think a harmless "pimps and hos" mixer (although a really queer and GDI theme) is "racist" then you need to reevaluate your need to keep living.

sanjiyan69
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Anyone who posted that this theme isn't racist should ask Don Imus how he feels about that.

I was born in Taiwan and I'm as yellow as it can be. There. Call me a racist :D
oops, let me add that my wife is white, so my kids are gonna be f'd because they are going to be a mutt. hmmm let them fill out their ethnicity...caucasian...asian? whatever

sorry for being off-topic.

I think the original topic is more towards derogatory names towards women...I'm pretty sure that there are white/yellow/red ho's out there, not just black ho's.

sheesh.

Shih-Wei (Wayne) Hsieh

soda
07-04-2007, 02:52 AM
well do the girls act like ho's at the party? if they do, then well, regardless of the name of the party your a ho anyway. but if the girls aren't hooking up w/ the guys at random well then regardless of the name...your not a ho...

ZeroCool
07-12-2007, 05:17 PM
i think it's just a way that everyone can dress up differently than normal...you don't neccessarily have to ACT like a pimp or a ho. just fun to play dress up, like halloween when you're a kid.

KillarneyRose
07-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I know the Pimp and Ho thing was popular back at the turn of the century (lol, that sounds funny to me!) but I didn't realize people still did it.

CutiePie2000
09-27-2007, 10:48 PM
This type of theme party was on the cover of 24 Hours today (a free paper):

Pimp 'n' ho party raises ruckus

By MATT KIELTYKA, 24 HOURS

Plans for a Tri-Cities "Pimp 'N' Ho" Halloween party for underage youth set off a controversy yesterday after a community group denounced the event.

The Children of the Street Society - a group dedicated to "the prevention of sexual exploitation of children and youth" - is incensed.

"[The party] is promoting and glamourizing an extremely abusive sex-trade," said Diane Sowden, the group's executive director. "A lot of it has to do with popular culture, but they're not telling youth about the drug addiction and violence that goes along with it."

Since finding out about the party through a Craigslist ad, Sowden has sent letters to parents, schools and costume shops in an effort to steer children away from the party.

"I can't imagine an underage child being dropped off to a pimp 'n' ho party," she said. "Parents need to be made aware of this."

But fears of sexual exploitation and sex-trade recruitment have been blown out of proportion, according to one sex-trade worker who sees the party as a reflection on pop culture.

"[Youth] think it's fun dressing up like they're in a music video," said Susan Davis, of the PACE sex-trade advocacy group. "They want to emulate a player's party and have a good time with it."

Davis said the terms "pimp" and "ho" have taken on a new life in mainstream culture.

"Pimping these days means you've got your shit together," she said. "You've got a good car, nice clothes, a good job. Kids don't see a pimp working a bunch of girls in the streets when they hear it."

The promotion company, Creatyve Mynds, has yet to name a venue for the party. The phone number listed at the bottom of the ad - which seeks bartenders and security for the event - is no longer in service.

WHAT'S THE ALLURE?

- A sexed-up youth culture is drawing teens to events such as "Pimp 'n' Ho" parties.

Jaminie Hilton, a counsellor who works with sexually abused youth, says teens are "being sexualized [by pop culture]." "You have someone like Britney Spears performing sexual acts on stage ... [and] people that go to the shows are very young."

Youth may think it's just for fun, but Hilton warns of the perils.

"They shouldn't be advertising their bodies at that age. It affects their ability to set limits."

MandaMandaPhiMu
10-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Why not change it up a little? How about "40s and Shorties" that was a theme for a party around here a while back.

33girl
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Why not change it up a little? How about "40s and Shorties" that was a theme for a party around here a while back.

yipes. Pimps & Hos might not be racist, but that theme definitely is.

Unless, of course, they're all dressing up like 40 year old people or Herve Villechaize.

Unregistered-
10-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Unless, of course, they're all dressing up like 40 year old people or Herve Villechaize.

http://darrell75657.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/charla.jpg.w180h227.jpg

macallan25
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Racist? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, God forbid non-black people have a party themed around 40 oz bottles of malt liquor.

PrettyBoy
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't see using the words "pimps" and "hoes" as being racist either. Pimps and hoes come in all types of skin tones. The bottom line is they're both trifling, in any race, and I wouldn't attend a party with a theme like that anyway.

DaemonSeid
11-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Kinda surprised that 5 years later this is still running...

if anyone has any questions about why parties like these are not a good idea....

either ask Sigma Chi or read this:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/10194299/detail.html

and oddly enough it's been almost a year to the day that this has happened.

PhiMuGirl07
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Every theme is going to upset somebody. A fraternity obn my campus had a WWII Party and one of my sisters was upset because she is jewish. I don't think they meant any harm by it. A couple of brothers were jewish but not offended by it. There were a lot of girls dressed really cute. Some like Rosie the riveter, some like Pin up girls, some in camo attire. Overall it was a very fun party. My sister attended and everything was fine until one of the brothers had numbers on his wrist like in concentration camp...she was furious. Which I understand. It didn't even make it any better in her opinion that the brother was jewish...moral of the story any theme could offend someone.

DSTCHAOS
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
My sister attended and everything was fine until one of the brothers had numbers on his wrist like in concentration camp...she was furious.

He was Jewish so I wonder if he was attempting a misplaced history lesson or if he was making light of it. Sometimes people will downplay things that their ethnic group experienced so they can be part of the crowd.

cuteASAbug
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
He was Jewish so I wonder if he was attempting a misplaced history lesson or if he was making light of it. Sometimes people will downplay things that their ethnic group experienced so they can be part of the crowd.
I have heard of people getting their grandparents'/relatives' numbers tattooed on their forearms to commemorate them and spread awareness about the Holocaust after their passing. It's not common, but it's been done.

DSTCHAOS
07-27-2008, 11:32 PM
I have heard of people getting their grandparents'/relatives' numbers tattooed on their forearms to commemorate them and spread awareness about the Holocaust after their passing. It's not common, but it's been done.

I hope he was attempting something similar.

PhiMuGirl07
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't believe he was trying to make a statement. I believe it's that later that he was just making light of it. Which is sad:(

DSTCHAOS
07-28-2008, 12:32 PM
"hahaha...concentration camps...I'm so cool...I'm just like you people...you won't call me a sensitive Jew."

:mad:

pinksirfidel
07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
My thoughts on this subject...
OMG! Seriously... it's just a party! If your too offended, just don't attend! ;)

ASTalumna06
07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I have been to two or three of these themed parties. And I went to a house where I was friends with all of the brothers. The first time, I dressed as a "ho", where I was basically wearing a cute backless shirt, a khaki skirt, and some heels. I'm sorry, but I can't correctly dress like a ho, cuz uh.. oh, i'm not a ho! And the other two times I went I dressed as a pimp :D :cool:

From what I hear, these parties used to be a lot crazier than they are now. But it's still pretty much girls dressing like absolute sluts. If you ask me, the girls who go to those parties in bras and skirts barely long enough to cover their butts put themselves in a position to be humiliated.