PDA

View Full Version : Black Face Frat BACK ON THE YARD AT AUBURN

Swamp Thang
05-17-2002, 03:43 PM
.. Auburn settlement allows Beta Theta Pi to remain on campus

Associated Students May 16, 2002

Auburn, fraternity settle lawsuit; Beta Theta Pi to remain on campus AUBURN, Ala.

-- A fraternity that was ordered off the Auburn University campus because some of its members were photographed wearing racially offensive costumes at a Halloween party will be allowed to remain under the terms of the settlement of a lawsuit. Beta Theta Pi fraternity agreed Wednesday to settle its $100 million lawsuit against the university. The fraternity will not receive any money but will be able to remain on campus, said Steve Becker, administrative secretary for the Beta Theta Pi national organization in Oxford, Ohio. The university suspended 10 Beta Theta Pi members and withdrew its recognition of the fraternity after members were photographed wearing wigs and celebrating in black face. A judge later ordered the students reinstated. Romaine S. Scott III, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said Beta Theta Pi members did not mean to offend anyone. Becker said he hoped students had learned a lesson from the incident. "The behavior that gave rise to this situation was unacceptable," he said. The university declined to discuss the settlement. "The matter has been resolved by agreement," said David Boyd, an Auburn University lawyer. "The parties will be submitting to the court a written settlement document that reflects the terms of the agreement." Another fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi, also was suspended from campus because of racially offensive conduct at its Halloween party. That fraternity was not involved in the lawsuit settled Wednesday. (c) 2002 The Associated Press.

TLAW
05-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Not surprised at all. I hope no one else is. Hey, all these jokers did was exhibit a little insensitivity. Just because horrendous vision of lynchings is still fresh in our memory doesn't mean they should be thrown of campus. I mean, it's not like they killed anybody. Yes, they put on blackface, disrespected our organizations and our entire race. But should the university have backed down in the face of a frivilous lawsuit? By all means! It just involved black people.
These guys, and the particular fraternity chapter that backs them, represent the type of people who would still see us, as a people, brutally put down. I am not one to cry "wolf" every time a white person blinks, but this is unbelievable. As a further slap in our face, the Omega Psi Phi chapter at Auburn will have to see these misfits every day.
People, it is 2002, but if some people could get away with lynching like they could fifty or sixty years ago, there'd be less black men on the street. I guess we should all be happy and smile because all they can do is "make-believe" they can still hang us, and have a great party doing it.

Honeykiss1974
05-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Swamp Thang
Romaine S. Scott III, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said Beta Theta Pi members did not mean to offend anyone. (c) 2002 The Associated Press.

:rolleyes:

NinjaPoodle
05-17-2002, 05:19 PM
It's disgusting things like this that make me ASHAMED to be an AMERICAN. :o :mad:

starang21
06-03-2002, 06:55 PM
well, i guess that's the way it goes if your white. if i wrote "kill all crackers" on a building, i guess i wasn't meaning to offend anyone either.