PDA

View Full Version : Alumni Newsletters...whats in yours?

Delta_theta
05-10-2002, 11:13 AM
What do you put in your newsletter? Who writes for it? How big is it? How often does it go out?

We have a quarterly newsletter, one for each term, and one for the summer(we have three terms at knox). Each member of exec must write some form of article for the newsletter, usualy but not always about their posiition and its current status in the house. After that, it's open to the house for who writes what. We normaly have a number of serious articles, and one or two more lighthearted articles. We have about one or two pictures per page, and in the past it's been either a long sheet of paper folded over, creating 2 pages(4 pages total, front and back) and sometimes with an insert of one 8.5x11, adding 2 more pages. For a chapter that ranges from 25-40 depending on candidate classes, thats not too bad.

M.
Sigma Nu
Knox College

FuzzieAlum
05-10-2002, 11:51 AM
The alums want to hear about themselves, too. We usually had a corner where we reported who was married, moved, promoted, had kids, or whatever.

AOX81
06-13-2002, 12:46 PM
We used to only have a summer newsletter that went out to everyone but now I am starting a monthly newsletter.

It will consist of:
Events that have happened in the last month.
Upcoming Events
Announcements
Sister spotlight (will feature one sister every month)
List of Active Members and chairs that they hold
Miscellaneous Articles

I have a section designated for the following chairs if they choose to submit an article for each month:
President
VP
Treasurer
Secretary
Public Relations
Alumnae
PC
Social
Pledge
Rush
Community Service
Fundraising

AOX81
06-13-2002, 12:49 PM
I guess I forgot a couple of things:

Who writes for it?
I put it together but I have everyone submit articles regarding their chairs.

How big is it?
Four pages

How often does it go out?
It will be going out every month

AXPAlum
06-17-2002, 01:11 PM
wow, once a month, how many people are on the newsletter team? Are you doing this on your own? Where do you get your finances for publishing/postage? Just curious

AXPAlum

SigEp42
06-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Our alumni news letters are once or twice a year and have pictures of the new brothers and exec board as well as updates and articles about what we have been doing. We also try to do an e-mail news letter once a month for updates on events and alumni information. We are a relatively small chapter so the e-mail updates save us money and the alumni seem to like it because it’s fast and easy for them to read.

Tom Earp
06-17-2002, 04:03 PM
SigEp42, while the Chapter is still Young, ( I assume ) that you make sure that you keep a list of e-mail addresses! I fought like hell to get from 10 to now 200!

i finally have guys send new or call with changes!!!

That is the tuff part!

Get them use to it so you can contact them at a moments notice for events and info!

It will get harder later trust me! We have 599 Initiates and i only have @ 200. Damn do I get mad not having more! Almost everyone has a PC or access to one these days!

Good luck in your quest!!!!!!!!!

AOX81
06-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by AXPAlum
wow, once a month, how many people are on the newsletter team? Are you doing this on your own? Where do you get your finances for publishing/postage? Just curious

AXPAlum

Just me. The newsletter gets posted online. For those who do not have e-mail or internet access we mail it to their homes.

Unregistered-
06-17-2002, 04:41 PM
IHQ requires that each chapter publishes a newsletter annually. However, our chapter usually sends two a year, one before Fall Recruitment and the other before Spring Recruitment so that the alums are kept up to date with collegiate recruitment info.

I'm in charge of the newsletter now, so every now and then I get updates (news & addresses) from alums all around the world. IHQ requires that the following be included in the newsletter:

-alumnae news; list of upcoming events
-any important collegiate information
-address updates
-Advisor/Alumnae Officer/Collegiate Officer/Volunteer Service Team contact information
-Recruitment Information Form
-Legacy Information Form

What's really neat about being the editor is that I get to meet so many alums, even those who aren't from my chapter. We're required to send a newsletter to every chapter member (whether it be local, national, or international) and any alum currently living in Hawaii who are in good standing.

I don't know how many sisters you have, but it can get costly. One mailout alone cost us over a $100 for postage and printing. Some money from our budget is allotted for the newsletter since we are required to send it out.

Our newsletter is also posted online as a .pdf for those sisters we don't have contact info for.

Sending out 250+ newsletters is quite a task...but it's actually fun. :D

DWAlphaGam
06-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
IHQ requires that the following be included in the newsletter:

-alumnae news; list of upcoming events
-any important collegiate information
-address updates
-Advisor/Alumnae Officer/Collegiate Officer/Volunteer Service Team contact information
-Recruitment Information Form
-Legacy Information Form

Ack! Sandy, thanks for posting all of that. I didn't realize that we needed RIF's and LIF's in the newsletter. (Maybe I should re-read my notebook! ;)) I'll make sure that everything gets into the next one.

AGDLynn
06-18-2002, 10:58 AM
I think that the Rec. info and Badge Disposition information only have to be in 1 newsletter per year.

Loyally,
Lynn
:)

Unregistered-
06-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by AGDLynn
I think that the Rec. info and Badge Disposition information only have to be in 1 newsletter per year.

Loyally,
Lynn
:)

You're right Lynn, the RIF is only required in one of the newsletters. The LIF is optional (I just checked the notebook), but we've been including it in all of the newsletters.

aephi alum
06-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Sadly, my chapter doesn't make a practice of sending newsletters to alums. Whether a newsletter goes out and what's in it is up to the alumnae chair, and sometimes the chair gets very busy and no newsletter is produced. But the chapter is fairly good about keeping the web site up to date, so even though I'm not getting something in my mailbox, I can still easily keep current.

LexiKD
06-19-2002, 11:40 PM
My chapter doesn not do them, but I have put a mock cheesy one together to show them what I am talking about.

I agree it is important to keep alum up to date, so when they decided to help they know where to go!