PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas! Having a minor breakdown!

greeklawgirl
04-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Girls,

Remember how I mentioned that I was going to be speaking at IRD on Saturday? Well, I have been working on my speech all week and I've hit the wall! My creative juices are just NOT flowing and things are getting desperate!

You all know the theme. I'm supposed to be speaking on the "hats I wear" as an Alpha Gam; the "feathers in my cap"; and why I chose this particular "hat" to wear. (I'm just completely stumped here, this theme is too difficult! :eek: )

HELP!!!!!!

chicagoagd
04-18-2002, 11:50 AM
It seems to me like they want you to talk about your responsibilities, what you’ve done, and why you chose your career. I think a far more interesting approach would be on how your career choice as a lawyer is affected by being an Alpha Gam (and vice versa). Have your perspectives changed on AGD’s risk management, hazing, or alcohol policies compared to when you were an undergrad because of your law background? What did you get out of AGD that helps you today? How do you think we should keep the Greek system fun without over-regulating everything they do? You wear your lawyer "hat", but you try to keep your Alpha Gam "hat" underneath....

Anyway, hope that helps you thinking about what you want to say...

Btw, tell lots of lawyer jokes. :D

LIEP,
Amy

AGDZO Susan
04-18-2002, 04:21 PM
And don't forget to wear a beautiful hat too! :D

AGDLynn
04-18-2002, 06:05 PM
And you are our resident GC AGD Greek lawyer! Of course, you might not want to mention the Greek shipping captains, lol! ;) :D

ChicagoAGD has great ideas too!

greeklawgirl
04-18-2002, 07:14 PM
Girls, these are all wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much for taking the time out to advise! :)

I've actually gotten the speech done for the most part this afternoon. I *think* they wanted me to speak more from the perspective of a young alumna who is a JC co-chair than from a lawyerly perspective. (Trust me, that would be pretty boring...unless I added in the stuff about the Greek captains, and I don't think the little old ladies would appreciate that! ;))

I hope its good, I started to cry as I was writing it, lol. Maybe I'll share it with you guys after IRD...its a very personal speech.

BTW, welcome to Greek Chat, Amy! Here's a good lawyer joke for you:

What's the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead snake in the road?

You'll see brakemarks in front of the snake.

Unregistered-
04-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Maria, I'd love to hear, errr.... read your speech after you're done giving it!

As always, I'm late to the party...but I'd like to introduce you to Amy, otherwise known as chicagoagd...and a FELLOW DELTA SIGMA! She helped chair our wonderful 10th Year Celebration!

chicagoagd
04-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome! And Sandy, you're too much! :D Sandy was our reunion cheerleader, this girl has spunk! ;) I'm so glad to see you and Mai here, I feel so connected.

This greekchat board is just too fun and informative. I've been finding some pretty interesting stuff, it's about time that everyone started chatting with one another.

Hope all your IRDs are wonderful!

LIEP,
Amy

greeklawgirl
04-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Girls,

I'm completely aggravated with this speech again! I don't think it flows well, maybe I'm too close to it to tell. Will someone please volunteer to be my guinea pig? I'd like to email it to someone and please be brutally honest about what you think and how it can be improved.

Pm me with your email address please! Thanks in advance!

LIEP,
Maria

SquirrelGal1
04-20-2002, 08:13 PM
So tell us...how did the speech go at IRD?

greeklawgirl
04-20-2002, 08:59 PM
...but the speech was a HUGE success! It is such a relief to have it over with. Sean and I were up until 3 am this morning revising the speech. Then Sean stayed up until 7 am retyping it and doing the final edits for me.

Everyone was cracking up at the right parts, and a lot of sisters were crying at the end. I even got a spontaneous round of applause BEFORE the end of my speech! I was approached by about 10 different women who asked me to please submit the speech to the Quarterly. One of the older alums even told me, "If you don't submit your speech to the Quarterly, I will hunt you down, get it, and submit it myself!" :eek: Yes, ma'am! lol

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way! I'm just glad its over. ;)

AGDLynn
04-21-2002, 09:51 AM
I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!!

I wanted to read your draft but my contact scratched my cornea, I think so most of Friday, I walked around with an eye ache....

If you want to email it to me, I'd love it!!

BTW, we have our IRD next Sunday.

JenAGD
04-22-2002, 07:45 PM
Maria,

I am standing in line waiting for you to email me a copy of your speech! I am so proud of you, but of course you would do a perfect job. I can't wait to hear/read it.

Congratulations on your success!

Jen