PDA

View Full Version : My Progress

prospectiverushee
03-31-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi Bernie. Hi Laura

Hope you guys are doing ok! Laura I hope that you had an awesome birthday.

I started a new thread to update you guys on my progress with Beta Sigma Phi.

Well, so far, I've been to two city council meetings for Trinity Valley here in North Dallas. The VP and the tresuare on the city council happen to be the pres and vp of the Xi Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter. So this past Monday I went to their meeting and it was really neat. Next Sunday, they invited me to look at some flower exhibit. Also, I'm invited to their Founder's Day celebration dinner. I 'm not sure if I can get off work for that though. I'm really excited and happy though. I hope that pretty soon I can write on here that I was extended an invitation to join the Xi Alpha Epsilon Delta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi( try and say that 5 times fast)

So I just wanted to update you guys on my progress. Sort of like my own rush story :) Hey Bernie, have you heard anything from Lynn? I wonder how she is doing

prospectiverushee
04-08-2002, 09:36 PM
The flower exhibit that I was suppose to go to this past weekend got canceled because it rained. So that activity is going to get rescheduled. So next up is another city council meeting on the 17th. It looks like I will be able to go to the Founder's Day banquet on the 25th because my work schedule is about to change. When I go to City Council meeting on the 17th, I'm going to see if I can check out a couple of other chapters. There's one career chapter and some other chapter that sounds interesting.

So that's all for now

prospectiverushee
04-30-2002, 12:36 PM
I didn't go to the City Council Meeting on April 17th. I had worked a lot of overtime that week and was sick to top it off. I also could not go to the Founder's Day thingy because I couldn't get the time off work. So my last chance to go to a City Council Meeting will be sometime in May. Then most of the chapters have the summer off and really don't meet. The May meeting will also be the last meeting for the City Council.

smiling812
05-02-2002, 05:54 PM
So how long did it take for chapters to contact you after you were put in the prospective member database? I can't help being impatient! I was a member of Alpha Phi Omega in college, and I really miss the love and friendship I found there. I am so excited about Beta Sigma Phi!

cutetiger
05-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by smiling812
So how long did it take for chapters to contact you after you were put in the prospective member database? I can't help being impatient!

I hate to be the one that is the wet blanket here, but BE PATIENT! LOL :D But seriously... Kari Marshall at International is always so on top of things. When I submitted my name, it was like May and by June I was invited to a meeting for a chapter. It will probably take about 2 months though maybe a little longer since most of the city councils take off for the summer time. If you're still a little impatient, just email Kari and ask her if there is anyway that she could possibly put you in contact with the chapters in your area directly. She's a wonderful person and very willing to help you out as much as possible. Hope this information helps you out.

Bernadette

smiling812
05-03-2002, 08:54 AM
I'm just letting my enthusiasm get the better of me! This is a really busy time of the year for me anyway, so later is probably better. ;)

I don't doubt that "the membership crew" is on top of things; Beta Sigma Phi seems like a really top-rate organization.

prospectiverushee
07-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Oh there's been so much going on! I got a letter from International awhile back. The letter basically wanted to make sure that I was still interested. So I filled out the letter and sent it back,and I couple of weeks later, I get this call. It was from a lady who has been in Beta Sigma Phi a long time. She was just so sweet. She wanted to know how my process was going and that she was going to pass my name along to some other chapters. Then a couple days after that, I got a call from a couple of people from a chapter(I forgot which one) anyway, they invited me to their chapter meeting. I couldn't go because my stupid work schedule got changed again.

It's going along slowly but surely

prospectiverushee
04-10-2003, 07:22 PM
I'm bringing my thread back up, because I got another letter from International today.

I'm still interested in Beta Sigma Phi, but after reading all the wonderful women on here who have started their own chapters, I've decided that I want to try and start my own.

I'm excited and scared at the same time. I've been in Dallas for almost 2 years and I haven't met a whole lot of people outside of work. So i know I'll have a lot of hard work ahead of me if I decided to start a chapter. Plus I work full time, so i don't have a lot of free time.

Any advice for me?

cutetiger
04-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Makeda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok girl, we've been through this before. If we were ready to try to start a chapter at LSU, then you can surely friendly venture a chapter in Dallas. I have faith that you'll get this thing off the ground. First start with who you know. Then they'll start with who they know and before you know it, you'll have enough people to start a chapter. Girl I KNOW you have the drive! I've seen you in action (i.e.: DPhiE or KDChi ring a bell? :D )

Have faith and if all else fails, I'm just going to have to move to Dallas!

Love ya girl,
Bernadette

prospectiverushee
04-14-2003, 09:30 PM
So I'm going to do it. I'm going to start a chapter. I called International on Friday and they are going to send me out a list of prospective women soon.:D

cutetiger
04-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by prospectiverushee
So I'm going to do it. I'm going to start a chapter. I called International on Friday and they are going to send me out a list of prospective women soon.:D

See!!!!!!!! You knew you could/can do it! With all the people that they have in Dallas, you'll not have many problems finding women to be in your chapter.

erica812
04-15-2003, 01:49 PM
I am so happy that you are going to start a chapter! That is wonderful news. You HAVE to keep us updated.

It's funny to see my own posts on your thread (smiling812). Wow! So much has happened since then.

Good luck!

Erica

bsp-mich24
04-18-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm proud of you for making the decision to start a new Beta chapter. :)

Best Wishes,
Michelle

tnxbutterfly
04-29-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok,

So I made the decision to start a chapter. I got all the stuff a few weeks ago,but just haven't made any calls. So today before I went to work, I get a call from the Beta Iota Delta chapter. They are having rush in June blah,blah blah. Anyway, the person that I talked to was telling me that she knows a group of people who are also thinking about starting a chapter and would I be interested in getting to know them.

Yes I would. And yes I'm going to Beta Iota Delta's rush party in June:D

erica812
04-30-2003, 09:41 AM
That's great!! Have fun meeting Beta Iota Delta, and definitely find out more about the possible new chapter. Being part of a new chapter is exciting, and now you won't have to do all the initial work by yourself.

Let's us know how things go!

Erica

bsp-mich24
05-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Thats great news that the Beta Iota Delta chapter wants to meet you and introduce you to the other prospecitve Betas who are thinking about forming a new chapter. In time I'm sure you will help to get a ROJ chapter up and running soon in June or shortly there after.:D

M

tnxbutterfly
05-03-2003, 11:20 PM
So I went and hung out with some of the BID members,today. They were having a Pampered Chef party. It's like a Tupperware party only with different things for the kitchen. It was so much fun.

I think the website is www.pamperedchef.com if you guys want to check it out. It could be a good little social

Then after that me and 2 of the ladies went shopping. That was so much fun too. Couldn't spend any money since I spent all mine yesterday. And the lady who contracted me is so sweet. Just love her and we just met.

erica812
05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
It sounds like you are on your way! I'm so happy for you. I'm really glad that you are building a good friendship with one of the sisters. How nice!

What is the age range of Beta Iota Delta?

Erica

tnxbutterfly
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
I went to a Beta Iota Delta meeting today. The ladies range in age from about 24-48. I'm 30 so it wasn't like I felt uncomfortable or out of place. Never did get to meet the other people who were suppose to be interested in starting a chapter. They were suppose to come to meeting today, but they didn't show up. The lady who contacted me was kind of upset about that cause of the people who was suppose to come is someone she works with. Me I don't really care. I love the ladies from BID and some of them remembered me when I attended some of their events awhile back. So it's all good. Everything happens for a reason.

Next up is the Rush party that they are having on June 21th. It's a paint your own pottery kind of deal. So it should be tons of fun.

bsp-mich24
06-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that the ladies who were interested in Beta failed to show; and you're correct in saying "Everything happens for a reason". You can always start a FV later after joining the chapter....:D

I will be helping the City Council start the 2-3 FVs (thats what we are projecting) and if it turns out that a new chapter has more "youngins" then I may consider transfering to that chapter.
the rush party sounds like a fun event and hopefully your work schedule allows you to participate. :)

Michelle

erica812
06-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Wonderful, tnxbutterfly!! Pottery sounds like so much fun. I'm so glad that things are moving along for you.

Erica

OrigamiTulip
06-05-2003, 03:37 PM
I saw Beta Iota Delta in the new Torch and thought of you. Hope everything goes as you hope :)

tnxbutterfly
06-21-2003, 08:48 PM
So I went to the paint your own pottery party today. It was a lot of fun. It's a bit on the expensive side... $12.99 for a coffee mug ,but since I was rushing, the ladies of Beta Iota Delta paid $10 of it. So I only had to pay the difference. I only ended up paying $4:)

I'm not real happy with my cup. Compared to the other ladies dishes, my cup sucked. But it's mine:D

I met one of the other ladies that wants to FV. She like every one else was sweet.

So that's all. I had tons of fun and I really like the paint your own pottery event. That's another social event you guys might want to look into

MoxieGrrl
06-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Yeah! I'm glad you had a great time at the pottery painting. :) Maybe when you are 80 years old, you can look back on that crazy coffee cup and say, "I painted it when I first met my sisters." :D

MoxieGrrl
06-24-2003, 11:01 PM
It's been about a month since I submitted my info to Headquarters. So far, no word from anyone! (It really was a telemarketer that called that day)

Does it usually take this long to be contacted for a rush party? Is it not rush season? Or did the chapters eliminate me already?

It's not that I'm impatient...I'm just so excited!!! :D My coworkers laugh because every time they come in my office, I have a different Beta website pulled up!

bsp-mich24
06-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi,

I does take awhile to hear from Int'l unfortunately (about 1-2 people in the membership dept work on rush and prospective member database). I would call and she if you can get a phone # for the nearest City Council in your area. I believe most chapters are gearing up for rush now and planning events for Sept - Oct. Some chapters invite pnm's to beginning day but that varies by region, City Council, & by chapter. I did a generic search on google.com for BSP and the area I live in - that may also be a goo way to locate BSP contacts in your area. Beginning day for most chapters is the last weekend in August and a small % wait until the 1st weekend after Labor Day. I hope you hear something in the next month or so.:)

erica812
06-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Don't worry! I didn't get a call until August, and my name was listed in May. In the mean time, I made plans for a Friendly Venture, but I was still really excited to get a call. I'm sure you haven't been elimiated! Many chapters aren't active during the summer months.

Erica

Jenn2nen
06-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Moxie,
Try not to worry that you haven't been contacted yet. Most chapters are dormant durning the summer and become active again by September. Even though we're not active right now, some of us are still making plans for our fall rush party. My guess is that you'll receive an invitation to at least come to a meeting sometime in August. I know it's hard to be patient, but I'm sure it'll come. :)
Jenn

MoxieGrrl
06-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks, girls! :D That makes me feel tons better!

tnxbutterfly
10-13-2003, 11:36 PM
I know I haven't posted here in ages. There is nothing new to report. I must admit, I'm getting a little discouraged. I've had the stuff to do a friendly venture for ages and haven't done a thing. I'm kind of scared. I mean I know people,but I don't think they are the kind of people who would be interested. It's making me kind of depressed because I want to do Beta so much, but I'm having a hard time getting my FV off the ground.

Any suggestions

BadSquirrelBeta
10-15-2003, 01:57 AM
We all get bogged down and I totally understand how you are feeling, so please don't give up just yet. Have you been corresponding with Beta international by chance to get some support on your FV?

Take care and take a deep breath!

tnxbutterfly
10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
No. I know that is the first step. International is so nice and I know they would be more thing willing to help. I've been kind of depressed. I thought I clicked with one of the chapters here,but I haven't heard from them since I went to their rush party off the summer. It's kind of hard not to feel so rejection. Thanks Rachel for your advice

erica812
10-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Go for the Friendly Venture!! You do have to take a few risks. You'll probably have to hear "no" more time than you like, but in the end, you will have a group of wonderful new sisters.

International recommends holding a gathering of friends, but I recommend a more public approach. Advertise on public bulletin boards, at gyms, YMCAs, churches, PTA meetings, school board meetings, libraries, in newspapers, etc. Write letters to local businesses. You just might catch someone's interest. First, just try to get a list of interested women. When you have five or so names, hold a social. Just see what happens. Encourage others to contact friends.

Best wishes! I hope that you will be our sister very soon.

Erica

tnxbutterfly
03-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Still kicking around the idea for doing a FV. bumping the thread so that people can have a reference guide for a project that they are doing

erica812
03-17-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm glad you're still considering a Friendly Venture. Good luck! Keep in touch.

Erica

bsp-mich24
03-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Good Luck if you decide go to pursue starting a Friendly Venture (you know you have our support here on the GC-BSP forum! :) :D

tnxbutterfly
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
ttt

RedHot
08-03-2004, 01:08 AM
maybe I can join your friendly venture. You live in Dallas too right?