PDA

View Full Version : New chapter

AOX81
02-11-2002, 01:20 PM
My local sorority decided last night that they were going to start a Beta chapter at a nearby community college. A lot of these girls will be transferring to our school in the future so my question is...when members of national organizations transfer schools how does this work? Let's say for instance my membership number in the Alpha Chapter is #81, if I transferred schools would I receive a new number (Beta #??) or do you go by the chapter that you were initiated into? I hope I am being clear :)

Kevin
02-25-2002, 01:38 AM
In Sigma Nu, you can become an "affiliate" of another chapter. For example I'm at the University of Central Oklahoma. I'm in the Mu Tau chapter and my badge# is 5. So I'm Mu Tau 5. If I transferred to Oklahoma and decided to affiliate (and they accepted me) I'd list both badge numbers: Mu Tau 5, Delta Epsilon ###...

Hope that helps.

LHT,
Kevin Taylor

SAEalumnus
02-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ktsnake
...If I transferred to Oklahoma and decided to affiliate (and they accepted me)...

Why wouldn't they accept you? You're just as much a Sigma Nu as any of them are, aren't you?

Optimist Prime
02-25-2002, 03:01 PM
This is what always confused me about affilating with another chapter....I know some sororites at some schools don't do it because they feel like the other chapter was a stepping stone. My feeling is that if one is good enough for any group of my brothers then he is good enough for me too. Its the same ritual everywehre right??

AchtungBaby80
02-25-2002, 03:09 PM
I would think that the new chapter would welcome an affiliate from another chapter, but I've heard of cases where the new chapter doesn't accept the affiliate. I don't think I would be able to turn someone away like that, especially someone who was a sister in my sorority, unless something about her was just really, really, REALLY abrasive. And I don't mean just mildly annoying, I mean she would have to have an ego bigger than all of Canada or worse grooming habits than a monkey or whatever...but I don't think there are any DZs like that out there, so I guess it's pretty safe to say that if it were up to me, I'd accept her. :)

Kevin
02-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Right -- a chapter may also have different requirements by the school or themselves such as GPA, etc. A lot of times a transfer student will have a low GPA or something to that effect. There's also the house image to consider. Sometimes someone leaves school for reasons other than academics (personal and such) and you don't really want them around. So it's advisable to judge them to the same standard (maybe a tad more forgiving) than you would someone you were about to extend a bid to.

LHT,
Kevin

SAEalumnus
02-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by ktsnake
Right -- a chapter may also have different requirements by the school or themselves such as GPA, etc. A lot of times a transfer student will have a low GPA or something to that effect. There's also the house image to consider. Sometimes someone leaves school for reasons other than academics (personal and such) and you don't really want them around. So it's advisable to judge them to the same standard (maybe a tad more forgiving) than you would someone you were about to extend a bid to.

LHT,
Kevin

I suppose so, but still, if someone was an initiated SAE and came to my school wanting to affiliate with my chapter, the only requirements that I would have would be that the person left his previous chapter in good standing and that he was eligible to be counted in good standing (grade-wise, etc.) within the chapter along the same standards as are expected of actives. The whole point of fraternities is to bring together people of different races, creeds and colors and to allow them to develop friendships they might not have otherwise. I figure that unless someone has done something that would merit his expulsion from the fraternity (or other disciplinary action), I would be perfectly willing to accept any initiated SAE into my chapter because by definition that person is already my brother whether he's an affiliate or not. Beyond that, he may very well turn out to be a good friend and great asset to the chapter. I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone.

Kevin
02-26-2002, 01:33 AM
Oh absolutely! And I'm not saying that about 99% of the time they'd have no problem. We're probably the most diverse group of guys on our campus.

That's basically what I was saying though as you said anyone who hasn't done something to get his badge yoinked is 99% is highly likely to have a place in our house. I always leave room for the 1% though because anything's possible.

LHT,
Kevin