PDA

View Full Version : Help with scholarship program!

MoxieGrrl
01-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Ok, GCers, I need your help! First let me outline the problem.

Our study hour system bases the number of hours to be completed upon GPA. The least amount to do is 2, the most is 5. The hours are to be completed in the chapter lounge (a formal, quiet area). I'm getting a whole lot of "I can't study where it's too quiet/too loud/don't have my computer" blah blah blah... plus, it's a major pain in my ass when I have to total all members hours for the week b/c some people do them in like, 25 minute blocks or something. The program is helping a lot of people improve, but a lot of people are still stuck in bad GPA land. We have a seminar at the beginning of the semester about where to go for help, etc.. Our chapter does not have a lot of money to give rewards and things like that. Nationals is mad at us b/c we are not at the AWA (3.4). I'm beginning to believe that my program needs some revamping.

Any suggestions to help out? What has/hasn't worked in your chapters? Thanks! :)

KSigkid
01-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Have you tried an incentives program?

Such as...give people a rebate on dues if they achieve high grades (whether you want to assign a number to it, or make it based on Dean's List, etc.). We give rebates to those who are on Dean's List, and it's helped our GPA stay pretty well above the All Men's/Fraternity average for a while.

If you wanted to, you could also put social sanctions on those who don't meet grades. I've heard of that working at some places. It would be kinda a "Don't make grades/no play" type thing.

Collin