PDA

View Full Version : "Who's Who" Greek List from 1941-42

NutBrnHair
04-25-2013, 03:53 PM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/NutBrnHair/get-attachment-28_zpse1cdf7fd.jpg (http://s829.photobucket.com/user/NutBrnHair/media/get-attachment-28_zpse1cdf7fd.jpg.html)

amIblue?
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Look, more Chi Omegas paid to be included in Who's Who than any other sororities over 70 years ago. Congratulations.

DeltaBetaBaby
04-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I wonder why they listed a group that had zero.

NutBrnHair
04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges

From Wikipedia

Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges or also known as Who’s Who Among Students, is a national college student recognition program in the United States of America. It has been compiling its list since 1934. Participants include 2,842 tertiary institutions across 50 states and the District of Columbia. It produces an annual Who's Who in list which is an academic publication that compiles a list of the top students in the United States. Students are honored based on outstanding campus leadership, scholastic ability (includes a GPA requirement), leadership on and off campus, and community service. This program was designed to ensure academic recognized regardless of a student's financial ability to participate.

Selection Process

This list does not solicit individuals. Institutions are allocated a number of nominee slots. Faculty, administration and student body committees in each institution nominate a select number of undergraduate and graduate students for this honor annually. Names of nominated students are often published in the newspapers of the students hometowns. It is important to note that there are no financial obligations in terms of initiation cost, service charge or membership fee to the nominated student.

Xidelt
04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
I just laughed so hard at amiblue's comments. Chi Omega is teh best agains.

DeltaBetaBaby
04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
This program was designed to ensure academic recognized regardless of a student's financial ability to participate.

I like when people bold sentences that aren't grammatically correct to underscore a point. It really lends a lot of weight to the citation.

AZTheta
04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
1941-42? The US was at war (WWII) and most of us had parents/grandparents/great-grandparents who were involved in that war in some fashion.

I seriously don't get it; could someone tell me the significance and relevance of this thread?

(FWIW I've gotten solicitations from Who's Who since I was a junior in HS, and I would be willing to say that we all have. They went immediately into the circular file. I am still waiting on my MacArthur grant.)

Xidelt
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm still waiting on my people to people ambassador position.

AZTheta
04-25-2013, 10:55 PM
It's probably at the same post office as my MacArthur grant letter. Right? Or maybe it's in the dead letter file from 1941?

amIblue?
04-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Count me in on the list of those solicited. Big flipping deal. In the scheme of honors, Who's Who is not that big a deal. The organizations support themselves by selling books that list people who are willing to buy them for the sake of seeing their names in print.

I still have yet to see the point or significance of this thread. It wasn't the first publication. It was the seventh. There are no names of historical significance. Was someone famous included that you left out?

Just interested
04-26-2013, 12:35 AM
I am not for sure of the significance of the thread, however, when I was in school in the 60's Who's Who was a very big deal. Only 10 to 15 of the top students at my school were given the honor and it was very selective and they were honored with a big spread in the yearbook. It was also considered a big deal to have Who's Who members in your chapter as it was to have members of Phi Beta Kappa and Mortar Board.
Maybe the significance of Who's Who has been watered down over the years but at one time they were the best of the best on a college campus.

MysticCat
04-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I am not for sure of the significance of the thread, however, when I was in school in the 60's Who's Who was a very big deal. . . . Maybe the significance of Who's Who has been watered down over the years but at one time they were the best of the best on a college campus.There is no single Who's Who. There are lots of Who's Who publications, from lots of different publishers, of varying degrees of quality and selectiveness. Always have been.

There have always been, as there are now, people who think being in Who's Who is A Very Big Deal. Right or wrong, I've never been one of them -- not even back in the 70s and 80s when I was in high school (and had the distinct honor of being selected to be included in Who's Who Among American High School Students) or college (ditto for college students). I've never seen it as anything more than pandering to ego and self-aggrandizement.

I seriously don't get it; could someone tell me the significance and relevance of this thread? The significance is so that we can all see which NPC group had more members "recognized" in Who's Who than any other NPC group, and had more than any other GLO, save one, period. ;)

NutBrnHair
04-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I enjoy history -- especially Chi Omega history. I'm excited that there is a "Greek History" Forum on Greekchat now for those of us who enjoy this kind of thing.

thetalady
04-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I enjoy history -- especially Chi Omega history. I'm excited that there is a "Greek History" Forum on Greekchat now for those of us who enjoy this kind of thing.

I am not sure that anyone other than you enjoyed this one :rolleyes:

Sciencewoman
04-26-2013, 04:06 PM
The National Historian for Pi Phi posts history items, and I've enjoyed reading a lot of interesting things about Gamma Phi and other groups. If she only posted about Pi Phi, everyone would :rolleyes:.

History Post should not equal Shameless Plug.

NutBrnHair
04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
The National Historian for Pi Phi posts history items, and I've enjoyed reading a lot of interesting things about Gamma Phi and other groups. If she only posted about Pi Phi, everyone would :rolleyes:.

She's a nicer person than I am. :D

Xidelt
04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
No she's Panhellenic and doesn't like to shove stuff in people's faces.

Old_Row
04-26-2013, 06:18 PM
No she's Panhellenic and doesn't like to shove stuff in people's faces.

She doesn't attach significance to dumb things that don't even matter either.

I think a much better measure of who has the smartest women in the NPC would be to list the total number of Phi Beta Kappa women by sorority through the years weighted by total membership in each sorority. Can you tell I am taking a statistics class? :D

Miss NutBrnHair, I am very happy to report that you are nothing like the wonderful, kind and humble Chi Omegas I know. You might be able to get some lessons from them. Bragging about not being nice is a very ugly thing.

honeychile
04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
A brief explanation of Phi Omega Pi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Omega_Pi). I'd love to see that pin - even if they didn't rate a single Who's Who!

DubaiSis
04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I think it would be interesting to know if Who's Who (or this particular Who's Who since there's probably a Who's Who of underwater basket weavers) was an actual honor at that time or if it was a pay to play thing like it is now. I've never heard of one "in the modern era" as it were, that meant anything at all. BUT, the Who's Who people might have been very selective once, and sold out for the Benjamins. Because god knows that's never happened before. Or stated another way, the copy of the contents page means about squat to me. If there's more to share, it might be interesting. Who were these people? Were there any famous, infamous or important people that we might be surprised to know are affiliated with us? If it's just for Yeah! Alpha Xi Delta had 33 unnamed Who's Who rich girls who could afford to pay in 1941, then whatev.

TSteven
04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Even when a post is intended to shine a positive light on your GLO, and might even be viewed by some as a "shameless plug", history is history.

Perhaps this is coming from someone who enjoys learning about GLOs' history, but throw at me all the great “stuff” your GLO does, has done, and will do. I enjoy reading it. And I would hope members are proud of their GLO and would share their organization’s historical accomplishments with us - especially in the History forum.

Even though Sigma Chi was near the bottom of the fraternities :o, I enjoyed the historical information that was provided. This was simply a “snap shot” in time of fraternity and sorority history.

MysticCat
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Even though Sigma Chi was near the bottom of the fraternities :o . . . .Maybe they were all off to war.

TSteven
04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
That's it. :D

http://www.sigmachi.org/sites/default/files/images/Military-Pin.jpg

"The Sigma Chi Foundation is pleased to recognize honorably discharged or currently serving members of the armed forces with its Military Service Recognition Pin. The White Cross that we wear is an emblem of sacrifice, and the virtues displayed through one’s service to country brings honor to name of Sigma Chi."

SWTXBelle
04-26-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfj2oqEiV28&playnext=1&list=PLEBBABC9EC16DA499

WhiteRose1912
04-27-2013, 02:06 AM
A brief explanation of Phi Omega Pi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Omega_Pi). I'd love to see that pin - even if they didn't rate a single Who's Who!

http://sororityhistories.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/phi-omega-pi/

It's lovely.

AZTheta
04-27-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfj2oqEiV28&playnext=1&list=PLEBBABC9EC16DA499

Thanks for the wonderful laugh! And, of course, that brought to mind this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dRALQ8-pI). Please enjoy, have a great weekend... Gamma Phi Beta for the WIN!

SWTXBelle
04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the wonderful laugh! And, of course, that brought to mind this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dRALQ8-pI). Please enjoy, have a great weekend... Gamma Phi Beta for the WIN!

Gamma Phi.
I'll help you be Gamma Phi . . .

Thanks, AZTheta! Hope your weekend is great, too!

AZTheta
04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
OMG! is that a recruitment song? It SHOULD be. *jealous*

Then again, could tweak it... no. On second thought, no. It can only be Gamma Phi. Back to *jealous*.

Off to quilt class! Need to bump that thread and post some of my projects, eh? Later!!!!!

NutBrnHair
04-27-2013, 12:15 PM
I wonder why they listed a group that had zero.

http://sororityhistories.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/phi-omega-pi/

It's lovely.

My guess is that this list contained every NPC group (at the time) and only some of the NIC groups?

Looks like Phi Omega Pi was absorbed by Delta Zeta later in the 1940s.

Lovely pin!

NutBrnHair
04-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe they were all off to war.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the date -- the beginning of WWII for the U.S.

NutBrnHair
04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Even when a post is intended to shine a positive light on your GLO, and might even be viewed by some as a "shameless plug", history is history.

Perhaps this is coming from someone who enjoys learning about GLOs' history, but throw at me all the great “stuff” your GLO does, has done, and will do. I enjoy reading it. And I would hope members are proud of their GLO and would share their organization’s historical accomplishments with us - especially in the History forum.

Even though Sigma Chi was near the bottom of the fraternities :o, I enjoyed the historical information that was provided. This was simply a “snap shot” in time of fraternity and sorority history.

Thanks.

Indeed, my interest is primarily in Chi Omega, but when I find something that includes other Greek groups, I think of posting it on Greekchat.