MysticCat
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
RIP Brother Van Cliburn

Alpha Chi 1958
Alpha Alpha (National Honorary) 1962
Charles E. Lutton Man of Music Award 1962

ComradesTrue
02-28-2013, 11:09 AM
As a native of Fort Worth, I grew up listening to him play local concerts. My mom is a pianist and she made sure to expose us to his gift.

It was a highlight in town every four years when musicians came from around the world to play in his competition. It led newscasts, was front page of the newspaper, and was the hottest ticket in town. That competition was held at TCU prior to being moved to the Bass Performance Hall, and as a TCU alum I am very proud of our past ties to his competition.

He was truly a gifted artist and will be missed. RIP Van.

ETA: Just noticed this was posted in the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia forum and not the News forum. I apologize for crashing.

SilverTurtle
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
He was also one of Phi Beta's Patrons. Definitely will be missed.

ComradesTrue
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
The National Anthem (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25632863&c_id=tex&partnerId=fb_content_TEX), done right.

FSUZeta
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
The National Anthem (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25632863&c_id=tex&partnerId=fb_content_TEX), done right.

WOW!!! You Texans sure know how to kick off the baseball season! Van Cliburn was both a Texas and National treasure.

MysticCat
03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
As a native of Fort Worth, I grew up listening to him play local concerts. My mom is a pianist and she made sure to expose us to his gift.

It was a highlight in town every four years when musicians came from around the world to play in his competition. It led newscasts, was front page of the newspaper, and was the hottest ticket in town. That competition was held at TCU prior to being moved to the Bass Performance Hall, and as a TCU alum I am very proud of our past ties to his competition.

He was truly a gifted artist and will be missed. RIP Van.

ETA: Just noticed this was posted in the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia forum and not the News forum. I apologize for crashing.Not crashing at all.

And I'm very jealous.

AOII Angel
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Why am a surprised that we was a Phi Mu Alpha? ;)

Gamma Xi Phi
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
So sorry to hear this. Our condolences to Sinfonians worldwide.

Boodleboy322
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Having gone to school in the DFW Area I was very familiar with the Van Cliburn competition and the many musicians that would come to perform in the competition. RIP Brother.