PDA

View Full Version : Your help please...need a job

LXAAlum
11-12-2001, 03:58 PM
I find myself a recent victim of the dot-GONE layoff wave....crap.

Now I need a new job. I am looking at anything in the Denver metro area north to Wyoming border.

Experience in E-Commerce:rolleyes: (yeah, like THAT helps)...ISO9000, Training, HR, Management, and Sales.

If you know of anything, let me know and we can work out a way to get my resume to you.

Thanks. BTW it's nice to be back. Since I got laid off, I can now hit the internet wherever I darn please...my last employer firewalled all chat rooms....

SH80er
11-12-2001, 04:56 PM
Take advantage! Move back in with mom and dad.
I have a friend who is 27 and still lives at home!

G8Ralphaxi
11-12-2001, 07:23 PM
forget moving back in with the folks - unless you plan on being their maid/gardener/butler, it doesn't help with the job problem.

My advice? Find out where the people who have the kind of jobs you want go out. Any city that is large enough to have a real downtown area will also have bars filled with young and middle age professionals. These people can be a really easy, fun way to network.

For example, I'm in law school and I know that in my hometown, Orlando, there are certain bars that always have a lot of attorneys, especially during Friday happy hours. Talk to friends, acquaintences, relatives, etc. that have these jobs and find out when they go out with their coworkers.

Then go with them. Hang out, be chill and friendly. Casually inquire about their jobs. Be fascinated in every freakin' thing they have to say. Mention offhand that you're looking for a new opportunity, and gee whiz, wouldn't you love to work at a place like they do.

The easiest way to get a job is to know someone. When a firm is making a hiring decision, who do you think they will pick? Mr. X who graduated from X University and worked for X Company? Or you, who has been hanging out with a dozen people from the office for the last couple weeks and gets along just great with everyone? You win, of course.

Use the skills you gained being Greek. I can't tell you how helpful it has been for me to be able to have conversations with strangers and handle social settings. I have a good summer associate position (like a paid internship) lined up at a great firm in Orlando next summer, and I know that my personal skills helped a lot getting that job. I did actually get some other offers that arose out of exactly the scenario I described above. Go for it - it'll be fun regardless, right?

The KEY is to tell EVERYONE you know that you want a job and what your skills are. You never know - your mom's best friend's cousin could be a secretary at a company that you could work at. A LOT of really great jobs are NEVER advertised. Companies prefer to hire through their network first if they can. You just need to get into that network.

GOOD LUCK!!! :D :D :D

G8Ralphaxi