PDA

View Full Version : Famous Sisters

AOIIBrandi
10-16-2001, 07:06 PM
Hey everybody,

I was thinking about a post I saw a while back on the AOII website, and thought I'd propose the question here: who are some of our famous sisters?

I know what international says about listing famous members, but I'm sure that this is something that most of us have wondered about at some point. So....let's use this thread to see if we can compile a list.

Beryana
10-16-2001, 08:41 PM
I know the former director of the Air and Space Museum is an AOII from Northerwestern (Rho Chapter). I can't remember her name of the top of my head right now, though.

I hope to some day be famous (definitely not rich, though!) *grin*

AOPiLaLa
10-17-2001, 08:53 AM
Well, I think that Debbie Matenpolous(she was on the first season of The View and now does a show for TV Guide) is an AOTT and Margaret Bourke-White(Famous photographer) is also an AOTT. And I agree with Sarah(Beryana)--I want to be famous, so maybe someday me!!

Hootie
12-05-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by AOIIBrandi
Hey everybody,

I was thinking about a post I saw a while back on the AOII website, and thought I'd propose the question here: who are some of our famous sisters?

I know what nationals say about listing famous members, but I'm sure that this is something that most of us have wondered about at some point. So....let's use this thread to see if we can compile a list.

Does your Nationals dislike announcing famous alumni because of certain reasons? Quite interesting...just curious!

aopirose
12-06-2001, 02:16 PM
To paraphrase the policy, each sister is "famous" in some way and therefore, it does no good to point out certan members.

I'm like, OK, then why have individual awards or point out specifically that Margaret Bourke-White's photographs hang at international headquarters? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hootie

Does your Nationals dislike announcing famous alumni because of certain reasons? Quite interesting...just curious!

NeonPi
12-11-2001, 06:51 PM
Not being picky ... but we are International ... only 14 NPC groups are :D

... that and it hurts the Canadian sisters feelings when AOII is referred as 'national' ;)

Thanks, diva queens!!

AOIIBrandi
12-11-2001, 07:54 PM
Sorry neonpi, it just didn't look right saying international's for some reason. I'll change it :)

rosejoy
09-13-2002, 04:38 PM
One of the Miss Americas, Heather Whitestone, was an AOPi , I am not sure which school. It is in her autobiography. She was the deaf Miss America.

AOIIalum
09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
If I may clarify a bit here :)

Heather Whitestone McCallum indeed was an AOII new member, at Jacksonville State U. She did not initiate due to her duties with the Miss America organization. It is my understanding that she never has initiated :( I hope her area alumnae chapter would contact her and invite her for alumnae initiation one day!

She also was the first deaf Miss America, and I recently read that she had a cochlear implant! Here's a link: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA020808Whitestone.html

Roses,
Christin

AOIIBrandi
09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Yes, actually she was a New Member she never got initiated due to time constraints.

SnowLady
09-13-2002, 06:40 PM
I almost hate to say this - but I rather like our IHQ's response to famous alumnae. It can be frustrating at times when other groups promote one person or another. I like to think that we are all "indivdually unique, together complete" and that's what makes us who we are as women and as a Women's Fraternity.

I know that it's great the we think our PIPs are the most important women to serve our Fraternity, instead of someone who became famous through hard work or luck.

And I'd also like to think that a women who devoted time and energy to a worthwhile cause is just as special as the first CEO in an industry. Without all different types of people within our organization, we might become cookie-cutters.

So, when you're next asked who are famous women in your sorority don't forget about mentioning yourself. I think your pretty special for being my sister.

Heidi

pandarose18
09-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Lambda Chi's theme party this year was based on the idea that every sister is a star in AOII. The new members even made hand prints and added them to our AOII walk of fame! It was very cute! We aren't allowed to do skits anymore on our campus so we had a portion of the night where we described some things that set a particular sister apart from the crowd and then that sister would stand up and they would go on to the next. It was a good way for the PNM's to see what types of things our girls are involved in and what makes each of us special! It was fun for the sisters too!

Roses,
Sarah

AOIIBrandi
09-13-2002, 09:29 PM
I don't disagree with IHQ, but you know when you're watching a movie and you see a star that you just think is absolutely beautiful or you watch a news conference and you see a woman and you think wow she's got it together? I think it would be nice to look at that woman and know - we share a common bond, she is my sister. It also kinda helps to think that they also started out in the same place as you. I'm in no way trying to say that any one of our sisters is less special it's altogether an association thing with everyday names :)

justhey76
08-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Someone verify this for me if you can. I had NEVER heard of any "notable" so to speak AOII's until just last night when our president and I were speaking. She told me that the reason a Coke can is red and white is because the guy responsible for making tha can (i dont even know if that was the pres of coke or just somebody in charge of making the can design), his daughter was an AOII. Origionally the design was green or something, but she asked him to make it cardinal red and white. Also, i was told that if you go to the Cocacola museum that there is a decorative fountain there, and if you know to look, the fountain spurts and the trees or landscaping around the fountain make an AOII. Anybody know if there is any validity to this??
justhey

AOIIalum
08-05-2003, 11:31 PM
That's the first time I've ever heard that one! Beryana, you've been in the archives, ever see or hear like this?

AOPiGammaBaybee
08-06-2003, 01:15 AM
I heard that a very funny lady named Phyllis Diller is an AOII... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Beryana
08-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by AOIIalum
That's the first time I've ever heard that one! Beryana, you've been in the archives, ever see or hear like this?

Never heard of anything about that! I'm going to assume it is an 'urban legend' which can be verfied with some info. . . when was Coke founded and when was the earliest Georgia chapter founded (I'm going to assume a GA chapter but that could be wrong, too. . . ). It would be interesting if it were true, though! :)

Sarah

AOIIalum
08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Jess, I have heard that one but have never ever been given any facts to support that rumor. (Yes, I know I could be wrong though!)

I'm sure we have plenty of famous AOII connections out there, like every other GLO does. Just remember that our Fraternity believes that each one of us is notable in our own way. No sister is held in a higher esteem within the bonds of AOII due to her personal celebrity, fame or fortune. Do ya'll know how much I truly love that about us?

pandarose18
08-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Earliest GA chapter was at UGA in 1935. This still makes it difficult to know for sure because even though coke has been around since the 1880's it was originally just sold at soda fountains and pharmacies. It was a long time before it was bottled and sold nation/world wide. I can't find a specific date for the red and white logo design for Coke. Maybe someone else might know. I'll also try to see what I can find out next time I go to the World of Coke!

Roses,
Sarah

AOII_Luv
08-06-2003, 04:52 PM
After reading this thread, I got curious (also bored to tears at work!) and looked at the Coke website. I sent out an email asking for information about this, so as soon as I hear back, I will let you all know!

AOII_Luv
08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Coke's reply:

Almost from the beginning, the colors red and white have been used in visual advertising for Coca-Cola to dramatize the trademark. The earliest use of red in our advertising was by Atlanta drug stores selling Coca-Cola. They would hang a white oil cloth sign on the store front or awning with slogans printed in red that stated "Drink Coca-Cola, Delicious and Refreshing 5 cents" or "Coca-Cola Sold Here 5 cents."

In 1890, the trademark "Coca-Cola" began to appear in red in
newspapers. During the late 1920s, the trademark "Coca-Cola" was used in white on a "Standard Red" background. The color arrangement of red on white and white on red has been used alternately over the years. In 1970, the Dynamic Ribbon Device was introduced, and the "Standard Red" became brighter.

sunfloweria
08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
During my chapter's last Founder's Day celebration I heard the story about the Coke connection to AOII. The Alumnae Relations chair themed our lunch around a "Coke Date." If I'm remembering correctly, the story about the Coke connection was learned at last year's Leadership Institute and the women wanted to bring it back and utilize it somehow. Do you guys want me to doublecheck with my collegians? Did anyone here attend last year's LI?

AOP

AOIIsilver
08-28-2003, 09:42 AM
I never heard that at LI....But, then again, I was so overwhelmed with the whole awesome experience that it may have just gone over my head. :p
Silver

OleMissGlitter
08-28-2003, 10:32 AM
We do have some connections to the Coke family. We have a transfer AOII who joined our chapter this fall. She was from U of LA at Monroe. She told me how there was and still is a very prominent family in Monroe, the Bedienheimer(spelled wrong) and they were bottlers of Coca Cola. Their daughter left her home to become a historic landmark. However, she was an AOII. At her home, her badge is on display and her garden resembles some very familiar AOII stuff. Anyway, I think that is where our Coca Cola connection came from. And hey, my father worked for 15 years for Coca Cola in New Orleans, does that count?

Also, Heather Soriano was in Miss USA and Miss America pagents representing the great state of Mississippi. She was a member of AOII at Nu Beta chapter at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).

NeonPi
08-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Also, Heather Soriano was in Miss USA and Miss America pagents representing the great state of Mississippi. She was a member of AOII at Nu Beta chapter at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).
Here is her picture - courtesy of http://www.globalbeauties.com/gb/coverage/usa02_gowns2.htm
http://www.globalbeauties.com/gb/coverage/images/mississsippi.jpg

BobraFCD
09-03-2003, 02:55 AM
THe Chi Psi Chapter of AOPi at Cal Ply has a link on their site to famous greeks. It lists Phyllis Diller as an AOII

Blue Violets
09-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
We do have some connections to the Coke family. We have a transfer AOII who joined our chapter this fall. She was from U of LA at Monroe. She told me how there was and still is a very prominent family in Monroe, the Bedienheimer(spelled wrong) and they were bottlers of Coca Cola. Their daughter left her home to become a historic landmark. However, she was an AOII. At her home, her badge is on display and her garden resembles some very familiar AOII stuff. Anyway, I think that is where our Coca Cola connection came from. And hey, my father worked for 15 years for Coca Cola in New Orleans, does that count?

Hi guys. I'm from Jackson, MS, and while I'm not an AOII I am a member of another Panhellenic sorority (try and guess!). Anyways, I was searching for "Mississippi" and I came across this thread.

The family to which you are referring is the Beidenharn family. Several Biedenharns also live in Jackson & I know two Biedenharn girls from horse back riding with them (they also used to go to my school). I wasn't aware of their family connection to AOII though, although I was aware of their Coke connection. Emily Biedenharn (my friend my year, aka collegiate class of 2006, and part of the Coke family) is a member of Chi Omega at Vanderbilt. Her younger sister Caroline is a freshman this fall at Sewanee.

AOcutiePi4ever
09-08-2003, 12:14 AM
ive heard about the coke thing too. not that the fountain looks like aopi tho.... but since our university is one block away from the coke museum, maybe i will check it out tomorrow!!!

aabby757
09-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Is it true that the two girls that were most featured in MTVs True Life: I'm a cheerleader (the squad from Kentucky) pledged AOPi at their schools?

Are they still active?

Just curious.

AOIIalum
09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I believe that is true, but I don't know if either are still actives. I'm thinking one went to UK and another to WKU, or maybe Murray State? I do not know 100% on this one, though!

How long ago was that show taped?

Christin

AOII*Azra-elle
09-23-2003, 06:17 PM
There is a lady in Denver that works at NineNews and does the NineNews Investigates. She's an AOII.

Stacekat
10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
I heard the woman who played "Marcy Darcy" in Married with Children was an AOII. I don't know if it's true though.

MSKKG
10-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Blue Violets
The family to which you are referring is the Beidenharn family. Several Biedenharns also live in Jackson & I know two Biedenharn girls from horse back riding with them (they also used to go to my school). I wasn't aware of their family connection to AOII though, although I was aware of their Coke connection. Emily Biedenharn (my friend my year, aka collegiate class of 2006, and part of the Coke family) is a member of Chi Omega at Vanderbilt. Her younger sister Caroline is a freshman this fall at Sewanee.

Yes, indeedy. One of my blood sisters is married to a Biedenharn family member (different last name because he's related on his mom's side). Coke was 1st bottled in Vicksburg, Mississippi. There is a Biedenharn museum in downtown Vicksburg.

Roses121
11-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by aabby757
Is it true that the two girls that were most featured in MTVs True Life: I'm a cheerleader (the squad from Kentucky) pledged AOPi at their schools?

Are they still active?

Just curious.

I know of one of them who is still active at WKU. She is currently the chapter president.

cutiepatootie
01-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by rosejoy
One of the Miss Americas, Heather Whitestone, was an AOPi , I am not sure which school. It is in her autobiography. She was the deaf Miss America.

I read her book after her yr as Miss America and she was at jackson state. Though i think she depledged if i am not mistaking from what the book said.

I met her once when she was miss america. My roommmate was a KD and was deaf and they grew up together and when she came to campus i got to meet her, She is the nicest person you will ever meet.

Laura

rosejoy
01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing trhat info cutie!!! I wish we could say she was a sister, but it is great that she was briefly an AOPi.

BTW...APhi is a strong sisterhood here at ECU!

AOII Angel
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Someone verify this for me if you can. I had NEVER heard of any "notable" so to speak AOII's until just last night when our president and I were speaking. She told me that the reason a Coke can is red and white is because the guy responsible for making tha can (i dont even know if that was the pres of coke or just somebody in charge of making the can design), his daughter was an AOII. Origionally the design was green or something, but she asked him to make it cardinal red and white. Also, i was told that if you go to the Cocacola museum that there is a decorative fountain there, and if you know to look, the fountain spurts and the trees or landscaping around the fountain make an AOII. Anybody know if there is any validity to this??
justhey

Joe Biedenharn was the first bottler of Coca cola. His daughter Emy-Lou was an AOII. I have never heard that she asked him to make the label Red and white, but who knows? Emy-Lou was an active alumna member of AOII, who let her home be used for Preference party for the NLU or now ULM chapter of AOII (Lambda Tau.) As the story goes, she would sit at a window overlooking the ELsong gardens where the lovely sisters of AOII would stand and sing for rushees. I was in the last group of rushees allowed to use the site for preference party. We still used it for other events, but all rush parties had to be on campus after 1993. There indeed is a fountain that is in the shape of the badge. An A surrounded by an O of potted plants is secured to a red brick wall. The PI is a fountain (that I never saw working) that would shoot out water to complete the symbol. Emy-Lou's will stated that AOII would always be allowed to use her home, which is now a museum, for special events. Her badge and other AOII paraphenalia is on display in the museum.

IlliniMeg
09-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Joe Biedenharn was the first bottler of Coca cola. His daughter Emy-Lou was an AOII. I have never heard that she asked him to make the label Red and white, but who knows? Emy-Lou was an active alumna member of AOII, who let her home be used for Preference party for the NLU or now ULM chapter of AOII (Lambda Tau.) As the story goes, she would sit at a window overlooking the ELsong gardens where the lovely sisters of AOII would stand and sing for rushees. I was in the last group of rushees allowed to use the site for preference party. We still used it for other events, but all rush parties had to be on campus after 1993. There indeed is a fountain that is in the shape of the badge. An A surrounded by an O of potted plants is secured to a red brick wall. The PI is a fountain (that I never saw working) that would shoot out water to complete the symbol. Emy-Lou's will stated that AOII would always be allowed to use her home, which is now a museum, for special events. Her badge and other AOII paraphenalia is on display in the museum.

Yep! The lovely ladies of Lambda Tau took me there when I was a CC as a sisterhood event. It's an amazing home.

Everyone knew the story ahead of time so everyone was on the lookout for sheafs of wheat in crown molding or roses in wallpaper and paintings. Even though every thing is what you make it and we really got carried away (Is that a picture of a panda, no just the family dog!) it was a great time. I don't remember the fountain as vividly though... they were my last chapter of the year and the memories sort of blur together by that point. But I do remember their amazing hospitality and they held formal chapter in a church so my last ritual of the year was in such a beautiful place, quite fitting.

And I believe that the family was a major manufacturer of coca-cola and distributor which is different than being at their corporate office. So this is why coca-cola's stance is what it is.

IlliniMeg
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Also some more random stuff that I just thought of:

- I had heard that Sheryl Crow's sister is an AOII (although Sheryl is a Theta).

- Frank Capra (director of It's a Wonderful Life, pretty big in the golden age of Hollywood), his wife was an AOII (Kappa Theta, UCLA chapter). I believe, but don't quote me, that she is the one that came up with PiOA concept. If you look in old To Dragmas there is mention of PiOA's, which are the reference to AOII's husbands or significant others - because when an AOII hugs her husband with her badge on, it makes Pi - on top of the O on top of the A. The reverse of our badge. I always thought that was really cute.

And Phyllis Diller was not an AOII nor was Mary Tyler Moore for some reason those are the most ill-quoted.

The neighbor from Married with Children is also an AOII. And of course there is an AOII who was on the Apprentice and on Survivor.

AOII Angel
09-08-2007, 08:47 AM
The neighbor from Married with Children is also an AOII. And of course there is an AOII who was on the Apprentice and on Survivor.

I'd heard she was an AOII from Pi chapter at Tulane.

As for It's a Wonderful Life...my dad is obsessed with that movie. My older sister and I watched it so many times that we tied at a church lockin for a prize about It's a Wonderful Life trivia (they showed the movie and then asked really specific question like what was on the mailbox infront of the old house in the scene where she loses her dress.) We had actually fallen asleep during the showing, but we knew the movie by heart! Ha! Nice to know Capra was a IIOA!

kp123605
03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't know if any of you are as big of Survivor fans as I am, but . . . a current contestant, Parvati Shallow, is a member of AOII. She went University of Georgia. She was originally on Survivor: Cook Islands and is currently on Survivor: Micronesia Fans vs. Favorites

she also has a myspace for those of you who are into that

kp123605
05-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey girls Parvati Shallow just won Survivor!!

GO AOPi!

twinkle555
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
YAY AOII!! Great job Parvati!!

AOIIGal
07-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Saw this on a website awhile ago... needs updating to include our "Biggest Loser" and "Survivor" winners, and of course our fabulous moderator Christin.

Notable Alumnae
• Stella George Stern Perry - Author and AOΠ founder, Alpha Chapter, Barnard College of Columbia University
• Heather Whitestone McCallum - Miss America 1995, motivational speaker, business owner, Delta Epsilon Chapter, Jacksonville State University (Heather's duties as Miss America prevented her from initiating)
• Margaret Bourke-White - photographer and journalist, her works were donated to Alpha Omicron Pi upon her death in 1971, and today are displayed at the international headquarters, Omicron Pi Chapter, University of Michigan
• Linda Barth -Senior Articles Editor at YM Magazine, Delta Chapter, Tufts University
• Heather Buck - Internationally known opera singer, Delta Chapter, Tufts University
• Wendy Chamberlin -Former U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan, Rho Chapter, Northwestern University
• Jennifer Wallen- Featured on NBC's "The Apprentice" in Fall 2005, Delta Omega Chapter, Murray State University
• Cathy Grimes- Starred as a bachelorette in ABC's first installment of "The Bachelor." The youngest contestant in the field, Cathy reached the final group of 8 before not getting a rose, Kappa Kappa Chapter, Ball State University
• Katie F. Ward- Appearing in nationally run ads for Starz! Network, Visa Commercials, San Jose Sharks, Fantastic Sams, & Kroger, Nu Beta Chapter, University of Mississippi
• Alexa Jones- Miss Alabama 2005, 2nd Runner up in the Miss America 2006 Pageant, Tau Delta Chapter, Birmingham Southern College
• Courtney Kupets - Olympic and World Champion Gymnast, Lambda Sigma Chapter, University of Georgia
• Heather Soriano - Miss Mississippi 2002, Nu Beta Chapter, University of Mississippi
• Debbie Matenopoulos - Actress, TV personality Rho Beta Chapter, Virginia Commonwealth University (Debbie pledged AOII but was not initiated)
• Natalie Overall Warren - Philanthropist, Nu Omicron Chapter, Vanderbilt University
• Katrina Overall McDonald - Philanthropist, Nu Omicron Chapter, Vanderbilt University
• Chantel McCormick- Socialite and Philanthropist, Alpha Phi Chapter, Montana State University
• Betty Sullivan Precht - Author and Daughter of Ed Sullivan, Kappa Theta Chapter, UCLA
• Nicole Jeanine Georghalli - Miss Pennsylvania USA 2004, Phi Beta Chapter, East Stroudsburg University
• Aphrodite Salas - Canadian TV Journalist, Beta Tau Chapter, University of Toronto
• Janis Mackey Frayer - Canadian TV Journalist, Beta Tau Chapter, University of Toronto

AOII Angel
07-14-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't think Heather Whitestone and Debbie Matanopoulis should remain on the list.They are NOT AOIIs.

OleMissGlitter
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't think Heather Whitestone and Debbie Matanopoulis should remain on the list.They are NOT AOIIs.

Agreed! No offense to them but I think only initiated sisters too!

AOII Angel
07-15-2008, 07:40 PM
We need to add Aneta Corsaut (Rho) who played Andy Griffith's girlfriend and later wife on "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Mayberry R.F.D." I never knew this until it showed up in my new To Dragma that came today. Since AOII has an unofficial policy not to list "famous" alumnae, I wonder how many famous AOIIs are out there that we have no clue about?

twinkle555
07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Im reading my To Dragma right now!! One of my close chapter sisters is pictured in the headquarters pic :) and 3 of my other sisters are pictured on pg 55 (the chapter name is a typo i guess).

I was also surprised that there is an AI with my first AND last name! lol

PandaPrincess15
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM
About the true life thing, I'm pretty sure neither of those girls are AOPi's... one was an ADPi @ Murray or UK.... now the team that was on Cheerleader Nation 2 years ago one is now a Theta at UK and all the other girls aren't Greek. One of them however cheers at UK, but your not allowed to be on the cheer squad and be a greek member...

AOII1897
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
I thought Debbi Matenopoulus was an AOII. she says that she is... and i've seen her do Alpha Love at the end of Daily 10 one time. I remember cause I freaked out.

AOIIalum
02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I thought Debbi Matenopoulus was an AOII. she says that she is... and i've seen her do Alpha Love at the end of Daily 10 one time. I remember cause I freaked out.

Nope, she's not an AOII either.

AOII1897
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
haha so i was just reminded of this. we don't have to guess anymore we can look it up on incircle and find out if these famous people were ever initiated because everyone who ever was in on there.

Morag
09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
The funny part of Margaret Bourke-White is that she was suspended by AOII, and then, later, the Executive Board voted to reinstate her as a member in good standing. You can tell she was fond of AOII because she left so many of her photos to AOII IHQ. I guess she was suspended because she was out and about photographing factories at night rather than attending AOII meetings. :-)

AOII Angel
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
The funny part of Margaret Bourke-White is that she was suspended by AOII, and then, later, the Executive Board voted to reinstate her as a member in good standing. You can tell she was fond of AOII because she left so many of her photos to AOII IHQ. I guess she was suspended because she was out and about photographing factories at night rather than attending AOII meetings. :-)

I guess if anyone has a good reason to have a suspension reversal, a talented photographer ready to donate lovely artwork to our sorority may be a reason!

nhpgator
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
since we're adding Title Holders
Miss Florida 2001 Julie Donaldson is an AOII from Gamma Omicron at UF

AOII*Azra-elle
02-05-2010, 02:44 AM
I know it's late news, and most everyone would know...but,
Miss North Carolina 2009 is an AOII from Elon College--Epsilon Chi?
Miss Colorado 2009 is an AOII from University of Northern Colorado--Epsilon Gamma

Morag
09-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I love that when pushed, Margaret Bourke-White is referenced, because she broke the mold and excelled in a man's world. She was the first Western journalist into the Death Camps in WWII, the last Western Journalist to photograph and interview Ghandi, had the first cover of Life Magazine.

Other AOIIs of note: 1) Mary Dawson, Canada's Ethics Commissioner and Conflict of Interest Commissioner. She was also the last review the Canadian Constitution before it was signed by the Queen and PM Pierre Elliott Trudeau. 2) Janis MacKey Frayer, a CTV News journalist. She is currently in the Middle East and was on CTV news today, in fact, about the Commonwealth Games in New Dehli.

I had heard of the Coke colour story, and a story that Frank Capra's wife was an AOII, which is evident to AOIIs when they watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (if the unconfirmed rumour is correct). Of course, that movie might just be a fluke, and Capra may not have been married to an AOII. :-)

JackieRose
10-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Since AOII has an unofficial policy not to list "famous" alumnae, I wonder how many famous AOIIs are out there that we have no clue about?

We have an unofficial policy? I wasn't aware of this, funny!

AOII Angel
10-09-2010, 02:38 PM
We have an unofficial policy? I wasn't aware of this, funny!

Yeah, you'll notice that we don't have a list on our International website like other organizations do. It's because somewhere along the line, the powers that be decided that putting too much emphasis on "famous" sisters deemphasized the importance of every sister whether or not she is famous.

NutBrnHair
07-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I recall hearing that your HQ was not "into" having a list of Famous AOPis, but from this post on Facebook, it looks like they'd be okay with Olympians!

Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity

The countdown has begun to the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games - good luck to all of our Panhellenic sisters competing in the games this year! We have not yet heard of any AOIIs competing - if you know of someone, please send us an email at aoiionline@alphaomicronpi.org! If you are attending the games, let us know and send us photos!

AOII Angel
07-27-2012, 03:59 PM
I recall hearing that your HQ was not "into" having a list of Famous AOPis, but from this post on Facebook, it looks like they'd be okay with Olympians!

Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity

The countdown has begun to the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games - good luck to all of our Panhellenic sisters competing in the games this year! We have not yet heard of any AOIIs competing - if you know of someone, please send us an email at aoiionline@alphaomicronpi.org! If you are attending the games, let us know and send us photos!

I think celebrating and watching a sister compete in the Olympics would be fun and is the point of the post. Are you purposely trying to be provocative? We actually have past Olympic medalist sisters in AOII and they are still not listed on the AOII website.

NutBrnHair
07-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I honestly just wondered if it might be a shift from the previous policy.

AlphaFrog
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you purposely trying to be provocative?

Methinks you know the answer to this. ;)

AOII Angel
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Nut apologized, and I accept. AOII does things differently than other groups for lots of things, ie. no COA, no list of famous alums, no symphony, etc. We like things simple.

Old_Row
07-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Nut apologized, and I accept. AOII does things differently than other groups for lots of things, ie. no COA, no list of famous alums, no symphony, etc. We like things simple.

I guess that's why you're not on that list of the best sororities then. :rolleyes:

AOII Angel
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I guess that's why you're not on that list of the best sororities then. :rolleyes:

And we go to bed crying every night...not.

AOIIsweetie
03-31-2013, 02:24 PM

I am so happy Alpha Omicron Pi is the way that they are. I would hate to see my HQ be proud of a select few of sisters out of the hundreds of thousands others. Thats saying that they don't think the other 99% of girls meet the bar set by the list published. AOII has many sisters in high professional ranks but we would never value them over another.

I do know (at least hope) that was some form of sarcasm. Never the less it was not appreciated. Although by your own logic, even if you are apart of a sorority on that list that does not mean that you are on of the "best" sisters.

AOII Angel
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
I am so happy Alpha Omicron Pi is the way that they are. I would hate to see my HQ be proud of a select few of sisters out of the hundreds of thousands others. Thats saying that they don't think the other 99% of girls meet the bar set by the list published. AOII has many sisters in high professional ranks but we would never value them over another.

I do know (at least hope) that was some form of sarcasm. Never the less it was not appreciated. Although by your own logic, even if you are apart of a sorority on that list that does not mean that you are on of the "best" sisters.

Old Row was being snarky about an earlier post. I assure you she wasn't being serious. ;) There are many back stories on GC.