PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Psi Omega

minDyG
06-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Per their website, "Alpha Psi Omega has enjoyed continuous national growth and, with over 600 casts, is the largest national honor society in America." So why are they so under-represented on GC? There's not even an Alpha Psi Omega sub-forum.

If you're an APO, I want to know. I was really looking forward to lurking in the APO forum to see how things run from an inside perspective, but now I have to read the national and chapter websites instead and only get the gist of what the VP: Communications (?) decided should be included on teh interwebz.

knight_shadow
06-09-2009, 02:10 AM
They're probably under-represented because none of their members post here.

minDyG
06-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Well in searching through threads I definitely saw some GC'ers mention being members, but generally they were in other organizations too.

knight_shadow
06-09-2009, 02:17 AM
OK. I didn't remember seeing anyone who is a member.

From what I've seen on here, there have to be several people requesting a sub-forum before John will add one.

Have you tried PMing the members who are on here? Or are they infrequent posters?

minDyG
06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
I PMed one, but then I decided to start this thread anyway. Patience is a virtue I guess.

Smile_Awhile
06-09-2009, 02:40 AM
YAY!

When I first found GC, I thought that APO was Alpha Psi Omega, not Alpha PHI Omega. We always refer to it as APO on my campus. Though I'm not an initiated member (YET!), we have a very active chapter on my campus, that I hope to join next semester. Our chapter basically is the social end of our theatre department- they throw parties, they have contests. It's great, and it really adds something to our department as a whole.

So I sort of count in that number, I suppose?

MysticCat
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Per their website, "Alpha Psi Omega has enjoyed continuous national growth and, with over 600 casts, is the largest national honor society in America." So why are they so under-represented on GC? There's not even an Alpha Psi Omega sub-forum. Are there other forums for recognition/honor societies?

AlwaysSAI
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
^^^I always thought APsiO functioned much like a greek org with secret ritual and MS, etc. But, I'm not a member, so I wouldn't honestly know.

But, Phi Sig has a forum and we're an honor fraternity.

MysticCat
06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
^^^I always thought APsiO functioned much like a greek org with secret ritual and MS, etc. But, I'm not a member, so I wouldn't honestly know.

But, Phi Sig has a forum and we're an honor fraternity.Well, unfortunately (for the sake of clarity), there are honor fraternities and honor fraternities (or honor fraternities and honor societies). Some, like Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi or Tau Beta Sigma describe themselve as honor organizations but function in a manner similar to other GLOs. Other societies, like Pi Kappa Lambda (music) or Sigma Xi (science) function more like Phi Beta Kappa.

To be honest, I had never heard of Alpha Psi Omega until this thread. I do note that, unlike Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, Alpha Psi Omega is not a member of the Professional Fraternity Association, which leads me to think it may fall more in the honor society category.

joliebelle
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm not a member of Alpha Psi Omega, but one of my little sisters is, along with another chapter member. I know the Alpha Psi Omega chapter at my school has quite a few members who are also members of social fraternities and sororities.

minDyG
06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, unfortunately (for the sake of clarity), there are honor fraternities and honor fraternities (or honor fraternities and honor societies). Some, like Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi or Tau Beta Sigma describe themselve as honor organizations but function in a manner similar to other GLOs. Other societies, like Pi Kappa Lambda (music) or Sigma Xi (science) function more like Phi Beta Kappa.

To be honest, I had never heard of Alpha Psi Omega until this thread. I do note that, unlike Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, Alpha Psi Omega is not a member of the Professional Fraternity Association, which leads me to think it may fall more in the honor society category.

I know they are an honor society (their logo reads "Alpha Psi Omega - National Honorary Theatre Society), but I think the style of how each chapter functions differs greatly from campus to campus. Some may focus more on ritual and fellowship, whereas others may be the type of org that has one mandatory meeting per month that the members attend so that they can list it on their resume.

MysticCat
06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I know they are an honor society (their logo reads "Alpha Psi Omega - National Honorary Theatre Society . . . .Which goes back to my question -- are there other honor societies with forums on GC?

minDyG
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Which goes back to my question -- are there other honor societies with forums on GC?

Yes.