PDA

View Full Version : Kappa Kappa Gamma on Probation at DePauw

exlurker
04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
"Code of conduct" violations are mentioned in the student paper's article,
see:

http://media.www.thedepauw.com/media/storage/paper912/news/2009/04/28/News/Kappa.On.Level.1.Probation.For.Indecent.Behavior.P ublic.Nudity-3729227.shtml

Excerpt from article ^:

Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority has been placed on Level One Probation until May 18 for violations of the code of conduct, which includes indecent behavior specified as public nudity. The sorority will not be permitted to host co-sponsored events involving alcohol or any group parties during the probationary period.

Kappa nationals were contacted and the chapter will do a standard workshop next fall.

Note: I think they mean a “standards” workshop, but I’m not sure.

The article doesn’t have many details about the alleged violations.

SWTXBelle
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
PUBLIC NUDITY???:eek:

HuskyAlum
04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not saying this is not true, but was it not just initiation week at DePauw? And with these parts of the article...??

"Other community sanctions standards include... hearing a presentation by the dean of Campus Life on hazing and initiation day activities.

President of Kappa Kappa Gamma Mary Stoecklein declined to comment, saying only that the incident was in no way a hazing activity.

"It was absolutely optional, no one was forced to do anything," she said."

depauwgreek
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't know if it was hazing or not, but the specific activity Kappa got in trouble for was a Boulder Run. Boulder Runs are a DePauw tradition where students run from their greek house/dorm to the boulder and back naked the night of the first snow of winter. However, boulder runs are quite common at any point during the school year and not just the first snow of the season. The boulder is is in the north central part of campus and the run from Kappa to the Boulder is more than enough time to get...noticed. Boulder Runs are not exclusive to Kappa; just about every house and every dorm does boulder runs on a regular basis.

This is the boulder: http://www.depauw.edu/visitors/traditions/boulder.asp

SWTXBelle
05-10-2009, 01:47 PM
So - why did Kappa get such a big penalty if this is so common? Is the university cracking down, and Kappa just happened to be the first caught? On the one hand, I'm all for tradition and campus fun. On the other - public nudity is a no-no.

texas*princess
05-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I was wondering the same thing... if it's so common and it's been done by all the groups, why is Kappa the only one to get in trouble?

33girl
05-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I was wondering the same thing... if it's so common and it's been done by all the groups, why is Kappa the only one to get in trouble?

Guessing it's because they are one of the more popular groups and cracking down on them shows the school really means business. If it was one of the sororities farther down in the pecking order no one would pay attention. YMMV.

Even so, it's a super weak probation - for 20 days at the end of the year? Most likely formals have already taken place and everyone is buckling down for finals anyway.

NinjaPoodle
05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_CPfm7HjZg

DePauw University Traditions (Boulder Runs)
This is a short documentary about a tradition at DePauw University, known as "Boulder Runs." It was filmed, edited, and produced by Stacie Grissom and Ross Allen.