PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a pledge

apb1990
11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Ok im a freshman at a northwestern school and i had decided to rush and ended up pledging a fraternity this semester. Anyway it is getting close to the end and i find out that i will not be initiated this semester and have been offered to continue my pledging (i.e. restart being a pledge again next semester and repeat everything) or dropping all together.

Ive been struggling for the last few days since i find out and am just lost at what to do. I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.

Im just looking for advice and what other peoples take on the situation is. I like the fraternity and thought everything was in sync. I just dont know if i want to go through pledging again just to been crushed right before initiation.

SAEalumnus
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.

If you were doing so well, why did the chapter decide not to initiate you? Were you given any kind of reason?

ASTalumna06
11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I thought i was doing good i did everything asked, hang around a bunch, aceing pledge education materials so it was a shock to find out a few weeks before initiation that i won't be initiated with my pledge brothers.

If you were doing so well, why did the chapter decide not to initiate you? Were you given any kind of reason?

Yea, this makes no sense. I would think they'd have to give you a reason. Especially if they're a national organization. To just tell you, "Sorry, wait until next semester," out of left field, probably wouldn't go over well.

On the other hand, if this is a local fraternity, they can pretty much do what they like. But if what you're saying is true and you were doing ok, why would they hold you over? Making you go back through the program again makes no sense.

lucgreek
11-14-2008, 12:25 AM
If this is a NIC fraternity then they are definitely going against rules by forcing you to pledge again, you should talk to your chapter adviser and if that doesn't work you should contact nationals.

SnuChad
11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Are grades a factor?

RU OX Alum
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Are grades a factor?

that's exactly what I was thinking

Langox510x
11-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Honestly if that ever happened to me I don't think I would re-pledge and I don't think you should for this organization either. I think you should go back and ask them for a clear answer as to why they didn’t want to initiate you, and maybe consider going with an organization that better suits what you want.

magichat
11-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe they don't really want you in the chapter anymore and are trying to give you a way out so they don't have to officially depledge you.

theath765
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
All of the posters ask valid questions and two things come to mind.

If grades are a factor, then there is no recourse, and if they are not then he should talk with his big brother to see what the problem is. If it was something other than grades, then he should rethink about going through an entire peldgeship again.